Type keyword(s) to search

Current Plots Discussion: Actually Today's Episode

Message added by scarynikki12

Spoilers are not allowed in this thread. Period. Any posts that include spoilers (and casting information qualifies) will be removed. There are several other threads that allow spoilers so take that discussion to one of them.

• Start Topic

Popping back in after a theee week binge watch:

-Gwen/Xander -Gander? - works for me.

- Oh Jack.  It’s gonna hurt whe. The inevitable truth comes out (a guess, not a spoiler)

-Team Chabby FTW!

- Johnny is scum.  Making a tell-all about his MOTHER?!?!   Dude has issues. 
-Will!  Good to see you.  You should not have given Johnny that script. 

-Doug.  I don’t know if I can deal with this preposterous storyline.  

- EJ is a schmuck. 

- I’m happy with the Bonnie whitewash.  I want Justine happy.  

• Love 3
10 hours ago, Panopticon said:

Yeah, Lucas is gainfully employed in a well-paying corporate job no real overhead expenses. He’s living at the Pub because he chose to, not because he’s broke. 

Or in a meta sense, he’s living at the Pub because the show no longer has the funds to build appropriate sets for each character.  Gone are the days when Shane and Victor had mansions, Neil had a giant lake house, Mickey/Maggie had a nice middle class house, Rojohn and his kids had a slightly less fancy middle class house, Shawn/Caroline had the very blue collar house attached to the fish market by the pier, Kim/Kayla had mid-range apartments, Adrienne lived in a dump of an apartment that didn’t even have heat, and Frankie/Max were flat-out living on the streets. A high show budget meant that home sets reflected a character’s economic status and informed that character’s outlook on life and choices. But in this day of low production funds and short shooting time, that can’t be a thing.

I also loved the loft that Carly shared with Isabella as friends and roommates. It fit two unmarried women starting out in their careers and in life.. I believe that loft was also Bo's before he married Hope.  I think Shelle lived there for a time. 

I miss the characters having homes and I also miss big parties where the cast would be together looking great dressed to the nines.. I miss families interacting  with each other and friendships..

Edited by Pearson80
  • Love 11
22 hours ago, buffynut said:

I know they really do list 5 words during the dementia test for the patient to try to remember.  However, did those 5 words sound familiar to anyone, beside me? 

I wasn't positive, till I saw Ron's tweet, tagging Sarah Cooper.

Oh yeah, I immediately wanted to vomit! 

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

It's Ron and it's a fucking devil possession, it's gonna be campy as hell!

Based on them saying Marlena's possession was 25 years ago, I must have started watching just after that story.

I think it was actually a little more than 25 years ago.  The devil just rounded down. 😁 If my memory serves me correctly, it was late '94 and into '95.

12 hours ago, Panopticon said:

Or in a meta sense, he’s living at the Pub because the show no longer has the funds to build appropriate sets for each character.  Gone are the days when Shane and Victor had mansions, Neil had a giant lake house, Mickey/Maggie had a nice middle class house, Rojohn and his kids had a slightly less fancy middle class house, Shawn/Caroline had the very blue collar house attached to the fish market by the pier, Kim/Kayla had mid-range apartments, Adrienne lived in a dump of an apartment that didn’t even have heat, and Frankie/Max were flat-out living on the streets. A high show budget meant that home sets reflected a character’s economic status and informed that character’s outlook on life and choices. But in this day of low production funds and short shooting time, that can’t be a thing.

I seem to recall that Shawn & Caroline lived above the fish market, which would be the same apartment Lucas is living in now above the pub. 

1 hour ago, Pearson80 said:

I also loved the loft that Carly shared with Isabella as friends and roommates. It fit two unmarried women starting out in their careers and in life.. I believe that loft was also Bo's before he married Hope.  I think Shelle lived there for a time. 

I miss the characters having homes and I also miss big parties where the cast would be together looking great dressed to the nines.. I miss families interacting  with each other and friendships..

I wasn't watching during the Carly/Isabella roommates time, but if it's the same loft that Shelle lived in, then it's the same loft that was Bo & Hope's, then Hope & Kayla's, just Kayla's, and then finally Steve & Kayla's in the mid to late '80's. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
7 hours ago, Pearson80 said:

Oh, I loved that loft set, too. It's also where John/Isabella lived before and after their marriage (and baby Brady's first home). I miss that set.

• Love 5

Salem really needs more doctors. Paulina going to Marlena and spilling the beans about Lani was ridiculous . Marlena has known Abe for DECADES and for her to now know the truth about Lani's parentage and be expected to keep that secret because of doctor/patient confidentiality is putting her in a terrible spot. She looked uncomfortable when Paulina was spilling everything and even when Paulina left her office. Marlena should refuse her family & friends when they go to her for professional help. Being the keeper of all of Salem's darkest secrets would take a toll on any sane person.

Doug grabbing Paulina's ass was funny. I appreciated Julie's mortified reaction and apology and that Paulina let it slide. I actually enjoy watching Paulina interact with more of the cast besides Lani & Abe.

Regarding the loft: Jennifer also lived in it for a few years after Kayla. I remember Jennifer & Isabella being roommates after the Cruise of Deception, but I have no memory of Carly ever living there. I loved that loft; it was unique and I loved the sliding front door and the elevator that was right outside the door. I think there was also a spiral staircase. That was nice set.

• Love 6
14 hours ago, Artsda said:

Because he's living in the bar because he got kicked out of free loading in the Dimera mansion. They have done nothing to show he has a job or has money to afford his own place. 

Other than almost 30 years of being employed, usually (especially lately) in high paying jobs and nobody ever complaining that he was mooching off them.

Yeah, he must be a bum on his last dime.

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47djwskyt1e5gb3im1pd

Just like Kate before she got that job as the cleaning lady at Dimera.  One step away from hand outs at the City Mission.

Edited by boes
  • LOL 2
  • Love 5
20 hours ago, Pearson80 said:

Kayla and Jennifer have also lived there(at different times)

• Love 4
10 hours ago, bunnyblue said:

Salem really needs more doctors. Paulina going to Marlena and spilling the beans about Lani was ridiculous . Marlena has known Abe for DECADES and for her to now know the truth about Lani's parentage and be expected to keep that secret because of doctor/patient confidentiality is putting her in a terrible spot. She looked uncomfortable when Paulina was spilling everything and even when Paulina left her office. Marlena should refuse her family & friends when they go to her for professional help. Being the keeper of all of Salem's darkest secrets would take a toll on any sane person.

Doug grabbing Paulina's ass was funny. I appreciated Julie's mortified reaction and apology and that Paulina let it slide. I actually enjoy watching Paulina interact with more of the cast besides Lani & Abe.

Regarding the loft: Jennifer also lived in it for a few years after Kayla. I remember Jennifer & Isabella being roommates after the Cruise of Deception, but I have no memory of Carly ever living there. I loved that loft; it was unique and I loved the sliding front door and the elevator that was right outside the door. I think there was also a spiral staircase. That was nice set.

Well I guess there's Tripp although the show tends to forget it most of the time. 

However yes one would think this show would use the opportunity to bring back Craig(who used to be COS) or have his other daughter be an aspiring doctor herself.

Or Mike Horton who was also a doctor and a legacy character.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, CanaryFan98 said:

Kayla and Jennifer have also lived there(at different times)

14 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

Oh, I loved that loft set, too. It's also where John/Isabella lived before and after their marriage (and baby Brady's first home). I miss that set.

That loft set was used a lot by various characters..

• Love 3
On 9/18/2021 at 1:34 AM, Chellfairy said:

I’m off and on about Johnny and the actor, though Johnny IS acting like an entitled brat with his dad. Yes, a parent should be supportive, yet I  understand EJ’s concern. I think Johnny could have at least given his dad that 1 day, but whatever. If he was a teenager, I could understand his behavior more.

On 9/18/2021 at 6:14 AM, buffynut said:

I was on my long hiatus during the 1st possession, and not sure if I'm looking forward to it this time, or not. Hopefully it won't get too campy. 

Back to family connections, that's what I loved about Days all those years ago. 

On 9/18/2021 at 7:55 AM, FilmTVGeek80 said:

If I felt he had genuine concern for Johnny, I would give him more credit, but that’s not really his driving force here. In his talks with Johnny, in his talks with Chad, it’s all about Johnny taking his rightful place at DiMera and damn what he wants for his life. And, I totally get Johnny here. I’m a creative type and loathe the idea of working in an office setting. Add to that I’m stubborn and have a sometimes contentious relationship with my mother, I’d be digging my heels into if she tried to force me to do what she wanted. Johnny’s an adult. He doesn’t have to give EJ a day at DiMera if he knows it’s not what he wants.

Even if filmmaking is a mistake for Johnny, he’s an adult allowed to make his own choices. Let him make the mistake and maybe he’ll figure out on his own that he wants to give the family business a try, but trying to shove it down his throat is not the way to go.

23 hours ago, Pearson80 said:

Sorry for my mishmash of thoughts, but:

• My take on the whole EJ/Johnny thing is EJ should be neutral. Neither support nor actively try to sabotage Johnny's filmmaking. Just let it play out and see what happens, but let Johnny know that EJ's preference is for Johnny to join the family company. [Of course, since none of this is in EJ's nature, we're seeing it play out onscreen the way we are]
  • I deliberately didn't watch when Marlena was possessed by the Devil because I thought the idea of it was soooo dumb and campy. Wasn't Passions airing around the same time? Maybe DOOL decided well - it's working for Passions (the stupid talking doll plot) so let's get our own campy storyline.
  • I too miss families interacting with each other. It just feels so forced these days (like the millions of DiMera children supposedly knowing each others' histories or caring for each other, or a family member - (looking at you Hope) - is offscreen when their immediate kin is facing serious drama).
  • One final thing:  DOOL loft ftw!  I too remember the loft fondly...and thought the sliding front door was fairly unique.
  • Love 7
18 minutes ago, norcalgal said:

I deliberately didn't watch when Marlena was possessed by the Devil because I thought the idea of it was soooo dumb and campy. Wasn't Passions airing around the same time? Maybe DOOL decided well - it's working for Passions (the stupid talking doll plot) so let's get our own campy storyline.

Passions started in 1999, after the Possession Storyline. My guess would be that James E Reilly was given the opportunity to create a new show due to the ratings that were generated by Marlena’s possession.  

22 hours ago, Peanut6711 said:

I think it was actually a little more than 25 years ago.  The devil just rounded down. 😁 If my memory serves me correctly, it was late '94 and into '95.

The DougDemon said, “It’s been over 25 years, Marlena,” but you’re correct about the years (late ‘94- mid ‘95) of the original storyline.  

Edited by enchantingmonkey
  • Love 3

John told Marlena that their affair and the fallout is what left Marlena vulnerable to the devil's machinations (LOL can't believe I just typed that). Was the possession really that close behind the heels of the affair reveal? I thought there was like a 1-2 year gap between the 2 stories. John also said that Marlena became the town pariah but I don't remember that at all. I imagine the Bradys were unhappy with her but I find it hard to believe everyone turned on Sainted Marlena.

I'm glad Doug is just possessed by the devil and is not actually suffering from dementia. Bill Hayes did a good job with the reveal. I'm actually looking forward to Monday's episode!

The premise of Johnny's movie is silly. I guess Sami's life has been like a soap opera (heh) but she's not famous, so who's this movie supposed to appeal to? Maybe Johnny intends for it to be a Lifetime movie of the week and not a Hollywood release. If Johnny changed the subject matter from Sami's messy life to Marlena's possession, then maybe he'd have a hit. And since when the hell is Allie an actress?? 

• Love 8
7 minutes ago, bunnyblue said:

John told Marlena that their affair and the fallout is what left Marlena vulnerable to the devil's machinations (LOL can't believe I just typed that). Was the possession really that close behind the heels of the affair reveal? I thought there was like a 1-2 year gap between the 2 stories. John also said that Marlena became the town pariah but I don't remember that at all. I imagine the Bradys were unhappy with her but I find it hard to believe everyone turned on Sainted Marlena.

Marlena was never the town pariah. Marlena was iced out of the Brady family due to breaking Roman's heart. I think that  Caroline due to her own past affair with Victor, Kim and possibly Bo did not really come down on her.  Marlena felt guilty for hurting and splitting her family up like any mother with a heart would.  After her divorce from Roman and Belle's paternity being revealed she began to be tormented by guilt and Stefano began to visit her in her bedroom at her house at night as his "queen of the night" and that is what made her vulnerable to the devil..

Edited by Pearson80
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, RunningMarket said:

I could have sworn that Devil!Marlena was the storyline that got me hooked on the show, but I recall being younger than I was in '94 during the bored-at-home-sick-from-school where I started watching.

Carly being buried alive by Vivian is what did it for me when I was young.

I haven't watched the show in quite awhile. I got so tired of Cin and none of the spoilers I read seem to ever make me think "Hey, I want to see that!" anymore.  

• Love 5

I have added Johnny to my fast forward list with Cin, Lani and fam, Allie and her 2 dates and Rafe. Something about him is too irritating to me

Soon to be added to skipping: Chloe and her boring triangle, Gabi and Jake and I'm sure Roman and Kate.

I'm still here for Xander, Jack and EJ. And Stayla always 

• Love 4
12 hours ago, CanaryFan98 said:

Well I guess there's Tripp although the show tends to forget it most of the time. 

Tripp's a med student. If he's not with Allie, he's usually at the hospital, so the show hasn't forgotten about it.

6 hours ago, bunnyblue said:

The premise of Johnny's movie is silly. I guess Sami's life has been like a soap opera (heh) but she's not famous, so who's this movie supposed to appeal to? Maybe Johnny intends for it to be a Lifetime movie of the week and not a Hollywood release. If Johnny changed the subject matter from Sami's messy life to Marlena's possession, then maybe he'd have a hit. And since when the hell is Allie an actress?? 

I think if he changed the names while keeping the events, it could definitely appeal to a certain audience since Sami's life has been full of drama.

Allie's not an actress. She pointed that out to Johnny. I think Johnny's just lazy and wants to pick her because she looks like their mother. There's really not other reason that makes much sense.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, FilmTVGeek80 said:

Allie's not an actress. She pointed that out to Johnny. I think Johnny's just lazy and wants to pick her because she looks like their mother. There's really not other reason that makes much sense.

Judging by what we see onscreen, neither is the woman who portrays her.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 10
  • Love 7
22 hours ago, bunnyblue said:

I'm glad Doug is just possessed by the devil and is not actually suffering from dementia. Bill Hayes did a good job with the reveal. I'm actually looking forward to Monday's episode!

Plus. Heck no, she looks nothing like Sami at her age  , or even now. 
it would make more sense if Allie turned out to be EJ’s (the height) and Johnny, Lucas’s. 
just my opinion. I know trickle down genes.. 

Agree..if it were about possession..Allie may have a good part in that.  The voice over to hide her annoying voice and acting skills.

• Love 1
23 hours ago, Jaded said:

Carly being buried alive by Vivian is what did it for me when I was young.

Every time I re-watch the "Carly buried alive" episodes, or "Carly & Lawrence find out Nicholas is their son" episodes I am SO thankful to the kind folks who uploaded those episodes to YouTube. Although I watched in real time, I never thought to record. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Peanut6711 said:

If your loved one was possessed by the devil 27 years ago, would you still keep the newspaper clippings??? Asking for a friend. 😉

Absolutely would…just in case..you know..😃
👹👿👹

Edited by Chellfairy
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 4
19 minutes ago, BuckeyeLou said:

And I liked seeing the 3 Siblings inter-acting.  And Johnny & Allie were cute together today

Yep, until she sees Johnny and Chanel together again…won’t be even pretty cute. She’ll go into devil mode..she seems to have quite a possessive personality. 😱
Will and Johnny are good interacting, at least via Skype 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Swartz said:

I'm already over the devil

I was over it back in the '90s. It made the show a fucking joke, from which it has never recovered, short-term ratings bump be damned.

1 hour ago, ByaNose said:

Are they twins?

Johnny and Allie? Yeah, but Lucas is Allie's father; EJ is Johnny's.

• Love 5
5 hours ago, Peanut6711 said:

If your loved one was possessed by the devil 27 years ago, would you still keep the newspaper clippings??? Asking for a friend. 😉

And him suddenly mooning over that box that contains ONLY memorabilia of her possession is getting beyond boring.  (Seriously, you'd keep all that stuff, in a special wooden box?)  It would be far more entertaining if everyone was just going about their usual business and no one had a clue.  Instead we get FORESHADOWING!!!!!  Apparently, these writers don't know how to do subtle.

• Love 7

The Doug and Marlena scenes weren't spooky enough.  If you're going to do this stuff you got to sell it.    The atmosphere was not right for it.   Kudos to  Bill Hayes but perhaps he's too old to do this stuff.    I don't know but it wasn't scary enough.  I didn't enjoy the SL in the 90s but I did find some of it creepy which was lacking today

• Love 4
46 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

I was over it back in the '90s. It made the show a fucking joke, from which it has never recovered, short-term ratings bump be damned.

Johnny and Allie? Yeah, but Lucas is Allie's father; EJ is Johnny's.

Thanks. That’s what was confusing me. Johnny is talking to EJ and I knew Allie has been with Lucas & Sami. Then you put Johnny & Allie together and they are giving off twin vibes but I was all confused. Soaps Operas do that to you sometimes. LOL!!!!

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
22 minutes ago, Swartz said:

The Doug and Marlena scenes weren't spooky enough.

Agreed.  I don’t know if they used Deidre Hall’s voice, or a voice actor, for the demon’s voice in the 90s but it was really creepy.  Today...not so much.  And DH just didn’t sell any of today’s scenes like she did during the original storyline. 

I did like Abe and John reminiscing, and I was glad they mentioned Kristin pushing the idea that Marlena was dealing with something supernatural.  Eileen Davidson sold the hell out of her scenes, and she was saddled with so much repetitive and idiotic dialogue.  I think Abe was the Police Commissioner back then, and John, Bo and Abe had to work together to keep Marlena out of jail, as the District Attorney was determined to arrest her for being The Desecrator.  

Are they even going to bother to explain how The Demon found it’s way into Doug?  There was a reason Marlena was possessed in the 90s, and it was funny because it was fueled by Stefano trying to make her fall in love with him, then The Demon used Stefano’s feeling to manipulate him.  

Wait, did Sami’s kidnapper decide to allow her to answer her phone?  

• Love 4
14 hours ago, enchantingmonkey said:

Are they even going to bother to explain how The Demon found it’s way into Doug?  There was a reason Marlena was possessed in the 90s, and it was funny because it was fueled by Stefano trying to make her fall in love with him, then The Demon used Stefano’s feeling to manipulate him.  

I think the Demon had no trouble possessing Doug since he probably confused that demonic, harping evil presence with the woman he's married to.  The man has been doomed in one way or another for almost 50 years.

Satan would be a relief after all that time with Julie.  The overacting was bad enough, but now that she's armed with that rosary, somebody's gonna lose an eye, you mark my words.

Edited by boes
  • LOL 17
  • Love 1