Type keyword(s) to search

Current Plots Discussion: Actually Today's Episode

Message added by scarynikki12

Spoilers are not allowed in this thread. Period. Any posts that include spoilers (and casting information qualifies) will be removed. There are several other threads that allow spoilers so take that discussion to one of them.

• Start Topic

It was nice to see Steve and Kayla just hanging around having dinner with Abe.  I wish they had more to do but Ron has his favorites and they don't appear to be one of them.  The actors are too good to be wasted but they are. 

I hated what the possession did to the show in the 90s.  I wasn't a fan of it even though it was well done.  I felt like I was watching different characters from who I watched in the 80s.

But I think something as gimmicky as the possession works better for todays soaps.  Today's writers don't write stories with depth or for character anymore so something as gimmicky as the devil is right up Ron's alley

• Love 6
2 hours ago, enchantingmonkey said:

I’m assuming Possession 2.0 was in the works when they decided to have Johnnie come to town and make a movie but it feels a little All-of-a-Sudden with Marlena quickly being possessed for basically no reason, and multiple scenes with other characters talking about the previous Possession.  Not loving it.

I agree that everyone in Salem suddenly talking about Marlena's possession again when she's actually being possessed out of nowhere is annoying. I mean, it's not foreshadowing when it's happening at the same time as the actual thing.

I like the idea that others had of the devil hopping from Salemite to Salemite for a while, but if they weren't gonna go that route, it would've played out better to me if amidst Marlena's odd behavior and weird things happening around town, that maybe someone started to wonder if it just might be possible that she was possessed again. Maybe Julie would start putting two and two together between what happened with Doug and what she suspects about Marlena not being forthcoming, and she sparks rumors and whispered gossip. And THEN John gets concerned and pulls out his box'o priesthood, and THEN Johnny gets curious and wonders if this could be in Will's script and decides to make that his movie's focus, and THEN people start having these conversations like we saw with John and Allie and today with Steve and Kayla and Paulina and Abe, and then all hell breaks loose as people start to realize it actually is happening again. 

Still, once we get past all the clunky exposition, I'm looking forward to seeing where it all goes.

Were Doug and Julie on canvas during the original storyline?

• Love 8
2 minutes ago, Giuseppe said:

No, I believe they left Salem in the mid to late 80s and were still out of town.  Not many of the current Salemites were around during the Possession storyline. Aside from John and Marlena, Abe, Sami, Kristin, Maggie, and Victor would be the few to remember it.  Tony I guess turned out be Andre at that time.  Brady, Belle, and Abigail would have been toddlers. EJ wasn't even born yet.  

• Love 3

Marlena's demon voice sounded like she has a bad sinus infection. She struggled with her eyes and love of her life John when he held up his Bible. I'm surprised that it didn't fly out of his hands. But that would be obvious. Maybe she was angry that it wasn't a version she liked. John didn't notice that his wife was a bit stiff and irritable?

Yeah, Julie, great idea to call Marlena when she was in the room when you found Doug on the floor. Bad idea when Doug told you and Eli not to. What does dumping her purse on Doug do? At least she admired herself in the mirror and thought she looked fabulous 25 years later.

I do get Ben being concerned about prospective parenthood. Many people wouldn't care. He should be aware that he should not repeat his parents in terms of upbringing. He may have some inherited mental health issues but much of his upbringing was violent and abusive. His therapist now being possessed may be difficult.

Johnny, you don't make someone watch a horror movie if they don't like those types of movies. You may see it from behind the scenes. I'm surprised he also didn't pull out the DiMera Ouija board from the closet. Chanel did seem too freaked out by the whole movie.

It was nice to see Abe and Paulina and Steve and Kayla out for dinner. Even burgers! I enjoy Jackee when she is not over the top. She also dresses very well.

• Love 8

Damn, poor Doug.  First he's possessed by the Devil, then wakes up to see Julie staring at him and cooing at him like he's an infant.  Hasn't that man been through enough??

Does Julie have to play every scene as if she's been tied to the railroad tracks and a train is bearing down on her momentarily?   Hmmm.......that's a storyline I could get behind.....

Did John not notice that he and Marlena are eating in the dark or do they do that regularly?

• LOL 14
  • Love 3
On 9/23/2021 at 4:12 PM, peachmangosteen said:

I really like Gwen and Xander. They're weirdly schmoopy but it works for me in a way the Xander/Sarah schmoopiness didn't.

EJ is the biggest dick and I love it. I need him and Abigail to have an affair.

I think many people (me included) seriously underestimated what EOB and PT can bring to the table as a team. Technically speaking, they are STILL friends with benefits and never received much propping-ups from TPTBs but the two actors manages to beat the odds. So my impression after viewing this Thursday's episode is what supposed to be only a no-strings attached fling turns into something deeper than anticipated. Of course, Gwen/Xander is not flawless but the efforts Emily and Paul put forth make this storyline more invigorating than those front and center couples on Days.

New EJ's actor is doing such a fabulous job of portraying a assertive and confident person. On top of that, he doesn't have the look of a creeper or rapist so I wouldn't mind him and Abigail hooking up. It bugs me that Kate Mansi always gets to play as a seducer and Marci Miller is stuck with being a housewife on Days. So bring it on.

3 minutes ago, sweetautumn said:

It bugs me that Kate Mansi always gets to play as a seducer and Marci Miller is stuck with being a housewife on Days. So bring it on.

That’s because Kate Mansi has sex appeal. Marci Miller does not. She has no charisma. Besides, I want an EJ/Nicole affair. Let boring Abby stay with Chad.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, MsTree said:

I don't believe Abby is supposed to ooze sex appeal, because I never found Mansi sexy at all.

Well she certainly believed she was sexy, which was what made the character compelling in a way. She believed two men deserved to fight for the honor of her flower, and that she could steal away both Austin and EJ from their women...she was arrogantly self assured.

3 minutes ago, MsTree said:

We could definitely agree about the EJ/Nicole affair. Looking forward to it.

I'm not. Poor Nicole. She was cast aside by him before. This is clearly her breakdown arc.

1 hour ago, sweetautumn said:

It bugs me that Kate Mansi always gets to play as a seducer and Marci Miller is stuck with being a housewife on Days.

As was stated, Marci got to play "seductress Gabby" and kinda flopped. She was better at the "Dr Laura" persona, which was cold and aloof. Honestly, MM and the gal who plays Allie need to both leave and open a roadside organic apple juice stand somewhere rural, as that seems about their speed. Neither fit the characters they're playing all that well...

But I wouldn't say MM only gets to play the housewife. I like her well enough, but she exudes a very lowkey energy and can't handle the crazy.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, Peanut6711 said:

No, I believe they left Salem in the mid to late 80s and were still out of town.  Not many of the current Salemites were around during the Possession storyline. Aside from John and Marlena, Abe, Sami, Kristin, Maggie, and Victor would be the few to remember it.  Tony I guess turned out be Andre at that time.  Brady, Belle, and Abigail would have been toddlers. EJ wasn't even born yet.  

Also Jack (Mark Valley’s version) and Lucas and Kate (presumed dead partway through) though none of them were directly involved. Shawn-D was a child, but enough older than Belle and Brady to have some memories of the overall town vibe, since he grew up in real time while the others were rapid-aged.

I’m not sure whether I should be amazed at how many characters are left, or how few. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
4 hours ago, Panopticon said:

I’m not sure whether I should be amazed at how many characters are left, or how few. 

I think I'm still rolling my eyes at the SORASing process where Sami was a teenager during Marlena's possession, but EJ wasn't even conceived yet.  I want to see Days tongue-in-cheek it with a throwaway line where Sami says to EJ, "remember that time my mom turned into the devil...oh, nevermind. I guess you wouldn't." 😃

• LOL 10
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, TenaciousWarrior said:

That’s because Kate Mansi has sex appeal. Marci Miller does not. She has no charisma. Besides, I want an EJ/Nicole affair. Let boring Abby stay with Chad.

An EJ/Nicole affair would be better because they have a deeper history and I feel it would have more fallout than EJ/Abby because Nicole at least is portrayed as a flawed individual. When Abby does bad things this show gives her a pass. Jack sometimes calls her out though compared to others but that won't go far.

• Love 4
13 hours ago, Giuseppe said:

Actually turns out they were which I didn't realize its 27:39 on this video. Julie had her brunette hair and Horton Christmases actually meant something.

• Love 3
21 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

As was stated, Marci got to play "seductress Gabby" and kinda flopped. She was better at the "Dr Laura" persona, which was cold and aloof. Honestly, MM and the gal who plays Allie need to both leave and open a roadside organic apple juice stand somewhere rural, as that seems about their speed. Neither fit the characters they're playing all that well...

But I wouldn't say MM only gets to play the housewife. I like her well enough, but she exudes a very lowkey energy and can't handle the crazy.

23 hours ago, TenaciousWarrior said:

As someone who has seen some of Marci's works outside of Days, I kindly disagree. She can handle the tough gal or the femme fatale role. In fact, MM actually starred in an action film alongside Manu Bennett (Crixus from Spartacus) in 2017, of which she got to play his proxy/partner. MM's character in the film was completely different and viewers got to see a different side to her acting chops. 

Edited by Guest
18 hours ago, CanaryFan98 said:

Steve/Kayla talking about how they weren't in town was rather funny to me as both were in Port Charles for most of the 90s.

Ah yes, it was clear GH wanted to profit off the MBE/SN chemistry and later had them in a relationship???  I know Katherine had a relationship with Stefan's nephew Nikolas, but can't recall if GH later had Katherine and Stefan hook up.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, norcalgal said:

Ah yes, it was clear GH wanted to profit off the MBE/SN chemistry and later had them in a relationship???  I know Katherine had a relationship with Stefan's nephew Nikolas, but can't recall if GH later had Katherine and Stefan hook up.

Yes, they did and their relationship was awful, no chemistry whatsoever.  Whereas Stefan and Bobbie sparkled but the show was adamant about remaking the magic between Stayla on General Hospital so the Stefan/Bobbie relationship was jettisoned.. 

• Love 1

Yep just because the same actors play the role doesn't mean the chem is the same. Writing plays a bigger role than people think.  I hated Stefan/Katherine but love Steve/Kayla.  

While Stefan/Bobbie were better I actually found Stefan/Laura intriguing (however they work best as enemies in the long run) and on Days their characters were friends but I wouldn't have put them together go figure.

Soaps haven't learned though I mean Justin/Adrienne were great together but Justin/Bonnie were just awful and wasn't the same chem wise either yet same actress.

• Love 5

Geez louise....this posession thing is happening way too fast. I feel like Ron walked in one Monday and asked Corday '...posession?' and he shrugged an 'ok' and suddenly Marlena is cackling in her next scene.

Tension? Build-up? Remember those?

Having it start with Doug was a fun idea but they really missed opportunities to play around with that.

Anyway, Ben, hear me: if I have to be subjected to anymore vague "my illness"/"that illness of mine that I've beaten but won't name"/"I'm proof mental illness can be beaten" comments from you, I'm going to strangle you myself. With your wife's hair.

😡😡😡😡

...Ben wasn't mentally ill. He was tired of Abigail's lies, got jealous of Chad and turned violent. He killed three innocent people. There are plenty of people in jail for life for that. So kindly STFU about how he's conquered his illness of being a mediocre actor by having abs and the support of the show's matriarch. Ben hasn't conquered shit and it's damn offensive to those who suffer from real, nameable mental illnesses to be lumped into the same category as a serial killer who got a pass for....reasons.

And Show, we know you're going to give them a baby, so stop pretending like you care about whether Ben's "issues" will affect it or be a roadblock somehow. The bundle of joy will arrive in no time and you'll promptly age up the character and make them crazy to overcompensate for how blandly you've characterized them. It's what you do.

...I need to just FF all their BS.

• LOL 1
  • Love 10
1 hour ago, DisneyBoy said:

to be lumped into the same category as a serial killer who got a pass for....reasons.

That reason being that the writers fucked up. I still can't believe after all this time that these supposedly creative writers can't figure out a way to make the character likeable. I'm not a writer and I can easily come up with a few scenarios (i.e. evil twin, Ben mask, possession, etc.). I mean it's not as if these so-called writers haven't come up unbelievable stories in the past.

1 hour ago, DisneyBoy said:

I need to just FF all their BS.

I've been FF through all their BS too. It's tiresome even for a fan.

• Love 4
8 hours ago, MsTree said:

That reason being that the writers fucked up. I still can't believe after all this time that these supposedly creative writers can't figure out a way to make the character likeable. I'm not a writer and I can easily come up with a few scenarios (i.e. evil twin, Ben mask, possession, etc.). I mean it's not as if these so-called writers haven't come up unbelievable stories in the past.

That *could* work maybe....but only if the actor in question was so unbelievably charismatic and mesmerizing that the entire audience and industry was practically shouting "you're lucky to even have this guy!!!" and would happily ignore the established csnon in favor of more screentime for a talented performer.

RSW is nowhere near that good.

They still could have - oh how it pains me to admit this - made him rootable just by writing a damn good exploration of his trauma, his demons and his desire to fix things. Cheaply letting him off the hook with a lame retcon wouldn't fix this.

But they didn't write anything good. And RSW never improved much either. 

I just want it to be over with already.

• Love 9

Is Ben and Ciara‘s imaginary dream  child adopted? I don’t think he supposed to be but he surely looks like he’s a different  nationality than either of them  

Also if you’re possessed by the devil. The devil. You can still walk into a house of God? I’m not real up on my possession facts , just doesn’t seem like it should be ok. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 4

At least Show is getting their timeline right.

"White people are crazy."

Was Anna in town when the first possession occurred?

How was DevilMarlena allowed into the chapel if she's so worked up over John's clerical collar?

• Love 7
4 hours ago, Frozendiva said:

They could have pulled out a Kristen type mask and unfortunately the dude matched the mask and had the real killer leave town.

That would have really sucked LOL. I hate the dumb masks. Please stop suggesting it - they may be listening! 😄

1 hour ago, peachmangosteen said:

And I too don't understand how the devil can go into the chapel...

Wasn't it just "a demon" back in the day...and not THE devil? Now they keep saying The Devil....retcon?

Edited by DisneyBoy
  • LOL 3
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, RedElf said:

At least Show is getting their timeline right.

"White people are crazy."

Was Anna in town when the first possession occurred?

How was DevilMarlena allowed into the chapel if she's so worked up over John's clerical collar?

Anna was not at that point the character was in Europe which Carrie/Austin referenced once in a while and mentioned visiting her there.

• Love 2

All of Bens fears about fatherhood were valid.  Between kidnaps, brainwashing and amnesia I can see why he did not bring this up before. 
   It’s kind of neat seeing Johnny learn about his family.  They are all a strange bunch lol 

Edited by tribeca
  • LOL 1
  • Love 8
8 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

They still could have - oh how it pains me to admit this - made him rootable just by writing a damn good exploration of his trauma, his demons and his desire to fix things. Cheaply letting him off the hook with a lame retcon wouldn't fix this.

Sorry for your pain, but thanks 😉

• Love 1

I'm a bit behind and just watched Friday's show.

Devil Marlena had me rolling with her reactions during her conversation with John regarding the first possession. First, her sarcastic "right" when John said good triumphed over evil; then when she realized she'd been fooled by the exorcism John performed (not a priest after all!); and then yelling at John to put that "damn" bible away. The devil's been back for only a few hours and already he is struggling to not blow his cover. 

As amused as I am by the devil, I could do without him terrorizing poor Doug. He'll be lucky if Devil Marlena only convinces people that he's just a confused old man and doesn't actually kill him. I can't remember if the devil killed anyone during the last possession...did he?

It was nice seeing Steve & Kayla hang out with Abe & Paulina. It seems like it's been a long long time since the 3 old friends shared a scene, and Paulina had nice chemistry with all of them; she fit right in.

JFC, I think CIN took up half of Friday's show judging by all the fast forwarding I did.

• Love 6

"White people are crazy" was hilarious and so true and Chanel hasn't met Kristen yet.

Johnny questioning the brother/sister marriage was hilarious too.

Ben's feelings were valid and understandable. His father, his sister and him. Ciara should think of things running in her family too, ie Bo died of cancer. 

• Love 7
48 minutes ago, Artsda said:

Ben's feelings were valid and understandable. His father, his sister and him. Ciara should think of things running in her family too, ie Bo died of cancer. 

Her aunt Isabella died of cancer too. With cancer on one side of the family and whatever-the-hell-is-wrong-with-the-Westons on the other side, Ben & Ciara should look into adopting instead. It's possible I would not entirely hate a CIN storyline if they both concluded that passing on their genes may not be a good idea but then they struggle to adopt because of Ben's past. It would give them something else to do besides fuck.

• LOL 3
  • Love 4

For some reason the DVR pooped out and I only got the last 20 minutes. Ben and Ciara's invisible 10 year old looked Asian. Maybe he was adopted? And then Mardevil going to the hospital chapel and Doug babbling on. Stop pushing him and shushing him and let him talk!

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

During The Original Possession, Marlena was able to enter St Luke’s and commit some of her crimes as The Desecrator.  Later, she was able to enter St Luke’s again during a battle in which she had begun to triumph over the Demon.  This was all before her eyes had turned yellow, though.  

Also, The Demon wasn’t able to change Marlena’s eyes at will.  It had to hide them until Kristin figured it out, and then it revealed itself. The Demon must be so relieved that These Writers are too lazy to give it any of those silly rules it had to abide by previously.  

5 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

Wasn't it just "a demon" back in the day...and not THE devil? Now they keep saying The Devil....retcon?

It was referred to as The Demon most of the time but Father Francis speculates that it’s Satan, and they do call it Satan or the Devil occasionally.  

4 hours ago, bunnyblue said:

I can't remember if the devil killed anyone during the last possession...did he?

No but it attempts to so many times. Father Francis, John, Kristin, the Traveling Experts of the Scrolls, Shaun Brady with the bee attack.  It also tried to get John to kill Stefano in hopes of damning John’s soul.  It’s actually kind of funny how it fails so miserably at killing people.  

• Useful 2
  • Love 6
5 minutes ago, enchantingmonkey said:

During The Original Possession, Marlena was able to enter St Luke’s and commit some of her crimes as The Desecrator.  Later, she was able to enter St Luke’s again during a battle in which she had begun to triumph over the Demon.  This was all before her eyes had turned yellow, though.  

Also, The Demon wasn’t able to change Marlena’s eyes at will.  It had to hide them until Kristin figured it out, and then it revealed itself. The Demon must be so relieved that These Writers are too lazy to give it any of those silly rules it had to abide by previously.  

It was referred to as The Demon most of the time but Father Francis speculates that it’s Satan, and they do call it Satan or the Devil occasionally.  

No but it attempts to so many times. Father Francis, John, Kristin, the Traveling Experts of the Scrolls, Shaun Brady with the bee attack.  It also tried to get John to kill Stefano in hopes of damning John’s soul.  It’s actually kind of funny how it fails so miserably at killing people.  

I was around for the storyline, but I don’t remember it well.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, enchantingmonkey said:

Ok. But....the devil looks like...thìs?

marlena-devil-days-nbc.jpg?fit=1230,718

And how does the 2004 possession storyline play into this?

• Love 2
7 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

😄

I think it's called "padding your resume".

35 minutes ago, DisneyBoy said:

Ok. But....the devil looks like...thìs?

marlena-devil-days-nbc.jpg?fit=1230,718

And how does the 2004 possession storyline play into this?

Isn't that Julie before she puts on her face?  Although the smile here is much nicer.......

• LOL 11
4 hours ago, bunnyblue said:

Her aunt Isabella died of cancer too. With cancer on one side of the family and whatever-the-hell-is-wrong-with-the-Westons on the other side, Ben & Ciara should look into adopting instead. It's possible I would not entirely hate a CIN storyline if they both concluded that passing on their genes may not be a good idea but then they struggle to adopt because of Ben's past. It would give them something else to do besides fuck.

Well, they also suck.  Oh man, do they suck........

• LOL 5
12 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

That would have really sucked LOL. I hate the dumb masks. Please stop suggesting it - they may be listening! 😄

I believe it is now “ the Devil”.  There was a line about an angel ( sorry I can’t remember!) and the entity said “ I was an angel once…..”

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, chediavolo said:

I believe it is now “ the Devil”.  There was a line about an angel ( sorry I can’t remember!) and the entity said “ I was an angel once…..”

All demons are fallen angels.

• Love 4
8 hours ago, Frozendiva said:

For some reason the DVR pooped out and I only got the last 20 minutes. Ben and Ciara's invisible 10 year old looked Asian. Maybe he was adopted? And then Mardevil going to the hospital chapel and Doug babbling on. Stop pushing him and shushing him and let him talk!

I said that upthread also. Exactly my thoughts. No way was he a natural child. But they made it sound like he received his fathers bad genres. Good grief that’s some bad casting.  

• Love 4
7 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

Paulina had nice chemistry with all of them; she fit right in.

I agree. She brings such life to the scenes she's in. 

I thought the Ben/Ciara child did actually look like them but yea he did sorta looked like he might not be white. I don't really care though because his line reading of 'Dad's necktie' or whatever was hilarious.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, chediavolo said:

I said that upthread also. Exactly my thoughts. No way was he a natural child. But they made it sound like he received his fathers bad genres. Good grief that’s some bad casting.  

Maybe he was available. Although there could be some Asian genes in both families and the expression skipped a few generations.

We don’t know what mental illness Ben actually has. Some may be genetic and that it goes way back in his family tree. It may skip generations. Much may have been a half lifetime of trauma and abuse from his father. His beatings of him, his sister and probably assaults on his sister and mother.  That is a lot for a little kid to witness and it would leave a heck of a lot of scars and dysfunction. It takes a lot of time and counseling to break the cycle of abuse.

• Love 3