Type keyword(s) to search

Current Plots Discussion: Actually Today's Episode

Message added by scarynikki12

Spoilers are not allowed in this thread. Period. Any posts that include spoilers (and casting information qualifies) will be removed. There are several other threads that allow spoilers so take that discussion to one of them.

• Start Topic

Yeah bringing Satan back now seems like  pandering for buzz or memes. Bill Hayes did a good job but hes always been the stronger actor of his duo, he was fantastic during Julie's illness and the Gabi stuff too.

the Allie character and portrayer is a flop. I'd rather have Will and Sonny back or Stephanie than her. 

Gabi is getting weird and Jake is a prick and their plots & lines are redundant 

Kate and Roman were cute but theyre always had chemistry

• Love 9
13 hours ago, ByaNose said:

Bill Hayes is 95. He’s freaking amazing. 

Totally amazing!  I kept trying to figure out if he was reading his lines, or had them memorized.  If memorized, than even more amazing!

13 hours ago, BuckeyeLou said:

And I liked seeing the 3 Siblings inter-acting.  And Johnny & Allie were cute together today

As I've posted many times before, I LOVE almost anything that involves siblings or family.  I loved the Kim, Roman/John, Kayla, Bo siblings back in the 80s.  And adored Mike and Jennifer.  So Johnny and Allie is cute to me, and having Will there, even via video was great too.

11 hours ago, TenaciousWarrior said:

Anyone else like Kate with Roman? I think JT’s Roman has the best chemistry with Kate.

I never saw them when they were a couple before, but I think they have great chemistry, and hope the plan is to put them together.

• Love 6
On 9/19/2021 at 12:24 PM, CanaryFan98 said:

However yes one would think this show would use the opportunity to bring back Craig(who used to be COS) or have his other daughter be an aspiring doctor herself.

Who is his other daughter? Chloe has a sister?

I didn't realize the posession arc had already begun. Guess I had better start watching again then....

Sorry but what was the 'Bonnie whitewash'..?

Edited by DisneyBoy
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Petunia13 said:

the Allie character and portrayer is a flop. I'd rather have Will and Sonny back or Stephanie than her. 

Not just Allie but the chick playing Chanel as well--neither character is setting the screen on fire.

So, I've taken a break from the show since before the Olympics started and I decided to tune back in when I heard that they were revisiting the possession storyline and I have to say, I'm enjoying John and Marlena's horrified reactions when they have to talk about it--very realistic.

I did however have to laugh at Allie's calling John's performing an exorcism as romantic--what a goober--I did not laugh at Julie's hurt expression upon hearing that Doug called her a bitch--she has zero problems shouting it at women she doesn't like, but now she's offended when it's aimed at her?

Lani and Abe should be fine with finding out that Paulina is actually Lani's mom with Abe's not being the dad--neither seemed to have a problem with Lani's deciding to pass off Eli's baby as JJ's when Lani was pregnant the first time.

I like seeing Tripp and Kayla is doctor mode but I wish he had a better storyline then dealing with Allie.

Edited by kitmerlot1213
  • Love 9
20 minutes ago, DisneyBoy said:

Who is his other daughter? Chloe has a sister?

Yes, her name is Joy. I seem to remember that one of the sisters had to be some kind of a donor (bone marrow) for the other? I could be way off and am just thinking about a Lifetime movie! (And I have NO idea why I remember her sister's name).

ETA - Oops, sorry. This has NOTHING to do with today's show.

Edited by Retired at last
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
26 minutes ago, kitmerlot1213 said:

I did not laugh at Julie's hurt expression upon hearing that Doug called her a bitch--she has zero problems shouting it at women she doesn't like, but now she's offended when it's aimed at her?

I don't think she's offended at the word itself, but the fact that it was the love of her life - someone she's been with for over fifty years - calling her that. Not to mention it's just another sign that something might be off with him, so yeah, I can see her being upset about it.

• Love 13

Doug as the Devil is a great twist on an old storyline. Marlena feels like 'been there, done that.'  If they didn't want to overwork Bill Hayes at his age (assuming that's why it was short lived), then I wish the devil would have body hopped for a while before making it to his destination.  I'm up for a game of Whose Body is Satan Inhabiting Now.  A day or two of hitch-hiking through Abe, Rafe, Jack, and maybe even Maggie might be fun.  I would love to see what Alison Sweeney could do with the role. I think Sami's character is in a good bad place to make it believable right now, and there's many family members including 3 of her 4 kids in town for plenty of interaction.  Or even a role reversal where John got the Devil and Marlena had to save him this time.  Possession 2.0 needs some variety from the original. 

• Love 13
1 hour ago, kitmerlot1213 said:

Not just Allie but the chick playing Chanel as well--neither character is setting the screen on fire.

Oh I love this new Chanel.  She's just stuck with boring Allie.

She's the only character I find myself missing now that I haven't had a chance to watch lately.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, kitmerlot1213 said:

I did however have to laugh at Allie's calling John's performing an exorcism as romantic--what a goober--

Goober is much kinder a word about Allie than I'd use. 

She must think The Exorcist is a date movie and The Omen is guide to child-rearing.

Edited by boes
  • LOL 9
  • Love 3

I probably wasn't supposed to snicker at Marlena's eyes at the end and start thinking about Michael Jackson's "Thriller" video. 

Was that supposed to be a surprise? DH was already starting to camp it up and be pretty obvious in her scenes with Julie.

Since I'm not of Chanel's generation, maybe I shouldn't be surprised she hasn't heard of The Exorcist, but I still thought that was weird. There are a lot of classic movies I've never seen - including The Exorcist - but I've still heard of them. 

• Love 6

I finally got DVR capabilities a couple of months back and started to record this show hoping Will & Sonny might show up again soon, knowing I could FF through everything else. Then I noticed Jackee was on this show! I’ve been watching her scenes if nothing else. Maybe I’m the only one hoping Paulina ends up involved in the whole demonic possession storyline. That would be hilarious!

• Love 4
3 hours ago, kitmerlot1213 said:

I like both Allie, and nu-Chanel.  I know Allie, and Tripp for that matter, tend to be boring, but every character can't be over the top in your face all the time.  

• Love 5
42 minutes ago, TheGreenKnight said:

Maybe I’m the only one hoping Paulina ends up involved in the whole demonic possession storyline. That would be hilarious!

I'm thinking she might be, at least tangentially. I think there's a reason Paulina told Marlena her secret just before this happened and they even had Marlena stress that she can't tell her secrets because of doctor/patient confidentiality. I have a bad feeling devil!Marlena might reveal Paulina's secret.

• Useful 7
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, buffynut said:

I like both Allie, and nu-Chanel.  I know Allie, and Tripp for that matter, tend to be boring, but every character can't be over the top in your face all the time.  

Agree. I think the issue is Ron doesn't know how to write for anyone else unless you're his faves Marlena, Paulina, Cin. 

• Love 5

In fairness, he hasn't done much (anything?) with Marlena that was good. He just puts her in jeopardy. First it was Hattie taking her place and her getting institutionalized, then her being in the coma after getting shot at the wedding....then her and the idiotic brain chips....and now demon posession.

None of that is about Marlena in any way. Its not character driven storytelling at all. Marlena has been stagnant. But at least she's had front burner stories, which is better than relegating her to only propping Ben every other week.

• Useful 3
  • Love 5
16 minutes ago, DisneyBoy said:

In fairness, he hasn't done much (anything?) with Marlena that was good. He just puts her in jeopardy. First it was Hattie taking her place and her getting institutionalized, then her being in the coma after getting shot at the wedding....then her and the idiotic brain chips....and now demon posession.

None of that is about Marlena in any way. Its not character driven storytelling at all. Marlena has been stagnant. But at least she's had front burner stories, which is better than relegating her to only propping Ben every other week.

The thing is that he is revisiting stories about Marlena that was done already.  Hattie switching places with Marlena and putting her in the institution was done already with her twin sister Samantha.  That story was way better and character driven because it was a story about Marlena and her complicated relationship with her twin Samantha who was a tragic character after all was said and done.

Edited by Pearson80
  • Love 5
5 hours ago, Retired at last said:

Yes, her name is Joy. I seem to remember that one of the sisters had to be some kind of a donor (bone marrow) for the other? I could be way off and am just thinking about a Lifetime movie! (And I have NO idea why I remember her sister's name).

ETA - Oops, sorry. This has NOTHING to do with today's show.

Yep that's why they created Joy to save Chloe this could've been a good time to bring her back. Give Chloe something to deal with besides the triangle and have her part of the younger crowd. I wanted her with JJ if he was still around but Tripp would do.

• Love 4

I'm with Chanel, I do not like Horror movies, as she said "There is enough bad stuff going on in real life without watching a movie about bad stuff".   I wonder how Chanel will be affected by this storyline?  Will she somehow be caught up in the possession storyline while Johnny makes his movie?  I hope not because I like Chanel, she is sparkly & sassy & not a push-over.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, DisneyBoy said:

She's had front burner storylines and she has kids and grandkids so she's surrounded by family. That's more than I can say for other vets on this show. 

• Love 5
9 minutes ago, Frozendiva said:

I enjoyed the recent Exorcist show on Fox. That was good.

The exorcist movie is the scariest movie I’ve ever seen in my life. And it’s my favorite! As far as horror, because it’s something that scares the living crap out of me. I find the horror movies with zombies and stuff actually funny. Don’t know why. 
 I’ve not heard of the show on Fox 🤔

Edited by Chellfairy
  • Love 2

The look on Chanel’s face after Johnnie told her his grandmother was possessed actually made me LOL.  

Enjoyed the DHs.  In the early days of the previous possession, Marlena was often in a stilted, zombie-like state when she’d make her way to the surface, and I thought Deidre Hall did a good job of revisiting that during her scenes today.  And, I thought Drake Hogestyn did a good job of conveying the torment he went through before and the fear of another Dance with The Devil.  

I got goosebumps up and down my arms when Doug told Julie the Demon left him and went into her (Marlena), so THANK YOU to all who worked together to make me feel something unexpected.  

4 hours ago, FilmTVGeek80 said:

I probably wasn't supposed to snicker at Marlena's eyes at the end and start thinking about Michael Jackson's "Thriller" video. 

If only she could call up Celeste, again, and make her bring her some contacts the color of Marlena’s eyes.  I’d love to see Tanya Boyd.  

Edited by enchantingmonkey
  • Love 5

Since yesterday's ep was part of a recording glitch, I watched both eps today.  Bill Hayes is excellent as DemonDoug. I am guessing that good Marlena saved his life by welcoming back her old friend. I would think that if you had been possessed, you would be very careful and that it would take a bit to get rid of it. I don't see Marlena as being totally good, but whatever....

Surely Allie and Johnny could have Googled their grandma and found some articles about her possession before they were born. Yeah, Johnny, horror does have a purpose and people do like the movies. But you should not be pushing Chanel to watch The Exorcist with you.

At least Tripp has something to do as a med student. Surely he and Kayla noticed Doug's good grip. Even when she talked with Julie, she did mention Doug's age as an issue and there can be weird things that go on.

It was creepy when waking up Doug mentioned that he left him and went to her.

Paulina, why do you want to get married? Be single, enjoy your life, enjoying dating Abe. 

Thought John's priest box would be more locked up. Funny how out of nowhere, things are going back to the possession. The story should have been a bit slower. Weird things going on, nothing really unusual or out of the ordinary. Little hints here and there.  And surely the Devil would go to other Salemites first for a bit before anyone notices.

• Love 7

I have no problem with Chanel not wanting to watch The Exorcist, but I'm not buying that she's never heard of the movie and that Johnny had to explain the plot. It's a freakin' classic; I've never watched Casablanca or Citizen Kane but I have heard of them, even if they were made long before I was born. 

It was messed up when the devil repeatedly zapped poor Doug causing him to collapse. I'm assuming it was heart attack, although I kind of tuned out when Kayla and Tripp were treating Doug so I don't know if she already ruled that out. Kudos to Bill Hayes for reciting all that dialog in Monday's ep. He could've looked a little more evil but I shouldn't fault a 96 year old guy for that. 

Was the show going for a surprise reveal when they showed Marlena's yellow eyes at the end of the episode? Because from the moment Julie found Doug passed out in Marlena's office, it was pretty obvious that the devil had jumped from Doug to Marlena. I don't know what Deidre Hall was going for, but I thought DevilMarlena's eyes darting back & forth and looking guilty as fuck when Julie was questioning her was hilarious. 

I assume Ron Carlivati thinks himself a serious writer and is probably going for his own shot at the "Exorcist" with Marlena's possession 2.0, but I think he should just embrace the camp completely and instead pay homage to the Leslie Nielson/Linda Blair spoof "Repossessed".

9 hours ago, Peanut6711 said:

I wish the devil would have body hopped for a while before making it to his destination.  I'm up for a game of Whose Body is Satan Inhabiting Now. 

I absolutely love this idea and think it would've been entertaining watching the devil hop from Salemite to Salemite. Hilarity could have ensued and it could've involved a lot of the cast. 

Edited by bunnyblue
  • Love 10

The entire possession storyline was on YouTube once upon a time and I watched the whole thing while I was suffering from COVID, as I related to Marlena. I am finding enough differences for now to enjoy it. The original story actually started really well, with a good slow burn that played more like a mystery and affected the entire canvas (JER was skilled at that kind of stuff, despite his many faults). It went on and on forever because Days was the only soap not losing viewers to the OJ Trial. 

Having not watched a soap in over a decade, I am glad they are still honoring the time-honored tradition of the hunks being shirtless for no reason. Yes, Johnny, was lying in bed above the covers shirtless as he reads a book, AS ONE DOES.

• LOL 5
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, Pearson80 said:

Exactly!  in general, single women live longer than married women, just sayin!

Marriage isn’t all it’s cracked up to be, neither are children! As long as you have friends & family , why let a man rule your life? Paulina is an independent woman who made it on her own.  

• Love 4

The devil said unless Marlena let him in he would hurt Doug.  We see them argue and the lights go out.  Next Julie finds Doug lying on the floor and Marlena standing frozen in the corner.   So did Marlena decide Doug is 96 and had a good run?   Then as Marlena talks to Julie the mystery is gone.   She looks soulless and her eyes are dead.  
         It was interesting seeing the different reactions johnny and Allie had to their grandmothers past.  Johnny found it funny (although he did not believe it).  Allie seemed scared of it. 
random thoughts 

why did Johnny not find his moms text strange?

Allie is close to people Sami has the most problems in her past with.  

• Love 2
13 hours ago, enchantingmonkey said:

Enjoyed the DHs.  In the early days of the previous possession, Marlena was often in a stilted, zombie-like state when she’d make her way to the surface, and I thought Deidre Hall did a good job of revisiting that during her scenes today.  And, I thought Drake Hogestyn did a good job of conveying the torment he went through before and the fear of another Dance with The Devil.  

This. I thought they both did well. Hell, so did the Allie actress. 

• Love 4

The sexual politics on today's show were disappointing. Between Victor's repeated slut-shaming and Jack questioning the "intentions" of his 30 some year old daughter's buddy, I almost doubted the show was written in 2021.  Time for Ron and some of his characters to get schooled in modern thinking.  Maybe Paulina can lead a seminar as part of her "community service" for almost taking a wrecking ball to the square.  Victor has always been an interesting character and it was nice to see him back on screen, but his dialogue was cringe-worthy and if I was playing a drinking game every time he said 'tramp,' I'd have been tipsy by the end of the hour.  

• Love 13
28 minutes ago, Peanut6711 said:

The sexual politics on today's show were disappointing. Between Victor's repeated slut-shaming and Jack questioning the "intentions" of his 30 some year old daughter's buddy, I almost doubted the show was written in 2021.  Time for Ron and some of his characters to get schooled in modern thinking.  Maybe Paulina can lead a seminar as part of her "community service" for almost taking a wrecking ball to the square.  Victor has always been an interesting character and it was nice to see him back on screen, but his dialogue was cringe-worthy and if I was playing a drinking game every time he said 'tramp,' I'd have been tipsy by the end of the hour.  

The misogyny on this show is off the charts.  

The more Jack is around that Gwen the more unlikable he is.  What a shame! 

• Love 6

This is the best little bit of writing that they've had on this show in a long, long time. Doug knows what happened, but because everyone now thinks he's senile, no one will believe him. Nice detail to see the writers come up with, IMO. 

• Love 10
44 minutes ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

This is the best little bit of writing that they've had on this show in a long, long time. Doug knows what happened, but because everyone now thinks he's senile, no one will believe him. Nice detail to see the writers come up with, IMO. 

Agree, that was well played.  I just hope down the road they have an equally savvy detail to explain why Hope still hasn't come home to visit her father whose recovering from demon possession.  If Doug can go to hell and back, surely Hope can find a flight home from Africa. 

• Love 9
51 minutes ago, Peanut6711 said:

Agree, that was well played.  I just hope down the road they have an equally savvy detail to explain why Hope still hasn't come home to visit her father whose recovering from demon possession.  If Doug can go to hell and back, surely Hope can find a flight home from Africa. 

Recast! Recast dammit!!

• Love 1
25 minutes ago, RedElf said:

I wonder how the truth about Gwen will be revealed. Only she and Xander know the truth.

Probably Tripp and Kayla. 😒

They have access to the records and Tripp walked in on a convo between Gwen and gone too soon Dr Snyder

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Peanut6711 said:

Victor has always been an interesting character and it was nice to see him back on screen, but his dialogue was cringe-worthy

I love Victor. He’s old and he’s not going to change. I’m ok with that. 
Also, he’s watched his son played upside down and all around by Chloe for over 20 years. 
Brady is involved, as well, and he was not forthcoming with his true intention with Chloe. 
I’m no fan of the name calling. But can look past it from Victor. It’s who he is and always will be.

I just want to see Gabi and Jake go down

• Love 2
2 hours ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

I was on another site once where Stephen King was being discussed and to answer, “What’s the big deal about Stephen King?”, someone said that his protagonists are often people who aren’t believed while the horror is around them — such as children, social outcasts, abused wives, etc. (Take IT, for example. Yes, Pennywise is scary as hell, but the real horror is that the adults don’t listen to the children witnessing all this stuff happening) I thought of that watching the Doug and Julie scenes.

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
18 minutes ago, JakeyJokes said:

I was on another site once where Stephen King was being discussed and to answer, “What’s the big deal about Stephen King?”, someone said that his protagonists are often people who aren’t believed while the horror is around them — such as children, social outcasts, abused wives, etc. (Take IT, for example. Yes, Pennywise is scary as hell, but the real horror is that the adults don’t listen to the children witnessing all this stuff happening) I thought of that watching the Doug and Julie scenes.

This may be off-topic but Stephen King is just so damn awesome and the movies don't do his books justice..

Edited by Pearson80
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, Peanut6711 said:

Victor is of his generation so I thought he made sense except wanting Brady over Phillip for Chloe I would think he would want no family member near her.

Jack however was ridiculous not only with this but that he treats his kids equally(he even mentioned JJ which like rarely happens). Plus its out of character for Jack to be this overprotective tbh unless he's acting out of guilt but he's not given a POV in that regard.

• Love 3
54 minutes ago, CanaryFan98 said:

Victor is of his generation so I thought he made sense except wanting Brady over Phillip for Chloe I would think he would want no family member near her.

Of course, he doesn’t want Chloe with Brady either, but Brady works for DiMera..and he knows their history and will do what it takes. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, RedElf said:

I wonder how the truth about Gwen will be revealed. Only she and Xander know the truth.

1 hour ago, Chellfairy said:

Probably Tripp and Kayla. 😒

They have access to the records and Tripp walked in on a convo between Gwen and gone too soon Dr Snyder

Yeah, it's all worked out perfectly for Gwen.  She has Jack's love and can be in an open relationship with Xander, and is rid of blackmail Snyder. There is no downside to Gwen's original lie that "Abigail pushed Gwen down the stairs causing her to lose the baby".

So even though Gwen confessed that Abigail didn't push her down the stairs, the lie is still there that the Abigail encounter is when Gwen miscarried. Again, it's all worked out for Gwen. We'll see if Tripp remembers Gwen's trip to the hospital when she miscarried, since Snyder is no longer on canvas, and the entire Snyder plot is pretty much resolved, what's to prompt Tripp to recall that one incident from waaaay back?

51 minutes ago, CanaryFan98 said:

Plus its out of character for Jack to be this overprotective tbh unless he's acting out of guilt but he's not given a POV in that regard.

That's how I've viewed basically his entire interaction with Gwen. Even though it's not HIS fault he never knew of her existence, he feels guilty she had a crap childhood so he overcompensates for (again) something that IS NOT HIS FAULT!  And he does this by taking Gwen's side over Abigail because (and I've posted this before) that due to their shared history/love as father-daughter, he's banking on Abigail still having daughterly feelings for him. Contrast with Gwen, where Jack probably feels he has to go over and above (screw him telling Xander he treats his kids equally) because their relationship is not "baked in" due to longevity. 

• Love 8

I need Abby to go bitchy on Gwen. This crying and apologies to the manipulative psycho who drugged her to ruin her life isn't working.

Gwen's really going to stand there and say thanks for your apology.

• Love 6

Nice to see Victor again. He is old and uses a language of his time. My elderly relatives were like that sometimes and had old thinking, old terms for people, etc. Not going to change. Philip and Brady should nod and say thank you for sharing and make their own mistakes. There does need to be more people in Salem and people just not being part of the weird incestous town where one moves on to another townsperson and recycles. Few people move through their friends' or relatives exes like these folks do.

Aren't you smart, Ava? I did like Gabi's outfit. And she is right in that half the town lives at the Salem Inn.

Jack, you are overcompensating for a daughter you knew nothing about at the expense of your current family. Did you ever ask Gwen what kind of relationship you wanted with her? What she wants from you - besides money and maybe love? You are both adults and you will need to navigate a more adult relationship. You are taking her side over anyone else. As a reporter, you are objective. Start showing that. Xander may just want to have some fun and has no serious intentions toward your daughter. He still has no real closure about the love of his life Sarah. He should have a lightbulb moment that no one has heard from her in months. People just don't disappear all that well on their own.

The fake trees at the picnic site were funny.

• Love 4

Curious to see what might happen if Philip and Ava team up.  I’m so rooting for Gabi and Jake to fail miserably.  Maybe this will motivate Ava to return to her dastardly ways.  NiceAva is so boring.  And honestly, is Tripp even worth being boring?

Old dog, no new tricks.  It was nice to see you Misogynistic Victor.  He did make me laugh, though, and it was good to see that John Aniston is healthy enough to do the Show.  I don’t give a damn who Chloe ends up with but I liked that she walked in to hear Victor conspiring against her.  

I kinda hate that Abigail still believes she played some part in Gwen’s miscarriage but it was so good to watch two actresses show up and deliver some emotionally compelling scenes.  Kudos to both Emily O’Brien and Marci Miller.  

• Love 10
On 9/21/2021 at 2:20 PM, Peanut6711 said:

Doug as the Devil is a great twist on an old storyline. Marlena feels like 'been there, done that.'  If they didn't want to overwork Bill Hayes at his age (assuming that's why it was short lived), then I wish the devil would have body hopped for a while before making it to his destination.  I'm up for a game of Whose Body is Satan Inhabiting Now.  A day or two of hitch-hiking through Abe, Rafe, Jack, and maybe even Maggie might be fun.  I would love to see what Alison Sweeney could do with the role. I think Sami's character is in a good bad place to make it believable right now, and there's many family members including 3 of her 4 kids in town for plenty of interaction.  Or even a role reversal where John got the Devil and Marlena had to save him this time.  Possession 2.0 needs some variety from the original. 

On 9/22/2021 at 12:02 AM, bunnyblue said:

I absolutely love this idea and think it would've been entertaining watching the devil hop from Salemite to Salemite. Hilarity could have ensued and it could've involved a lot of the cast. 

The possession story line was somewhat interesting at first when it was Doug, (he really did do a great job of selling it ) but they ended that far too early.  I too would have enjoyed the devil body hopping and everyone in Salem doing bizarre things.  Unfortunately, we are now going to get DRAMA and John gloomily staring at his box of souvenirs for the near future.

On another note, have they even written Johnny going to see Henry the Blanket?  I know that it wouldn't be interesting to watch all the mundane happenings in the characters life but is Henry just going to stay in his crib alone until he comes back as a sorased pre-teen?

• LOL 3
  • Love 2