Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E02: Massacres And Matinees

• Start Topic

So I checked and this ep is not quite as long as the first but almost!  The running time is an hour and 20 minutes. What's going on, are the eps going to run extra long this season? I know they've gone a little over the hour mark lots of times before. Part of me is yay! more AHS! and then part of me likes the story contained in that nice little hour.

I'm gonna go out on limb here and say Dandy and Twisty somehow bond.   

Maybe Dandy will actually be entertained by Twisty's clowning, then an alliance of sorts will form.

OK. I 'm spending way too much time speculating on Twisty.  

• Love 4

I found this episode, like the last one, to be shockingly dull. This is American Horror Story, people, you should at least be entertaining.

I think my least favorite part is Evan Peters' whiny, dull-as-dishwater character.

• Love 5

So is the clown wearing a human scalp? It looks bloody on the edges.

That's what I've been thinking since the first episode. It looks like a human scalp. Leatherface came to mind.

Edited by Surrealist
  • Love 1

I think Dandy is my favorite character so far. I find him so intriguing, and the fact that the clown seemed creeped out by him was hilarious!

I don't know how I feel about the Freaks having all this internal trouble and turning on each other. It makes the show much more distressing, but I liked thinking of them as a family. Now Elsa is turning the twins against one another, the Strong Man dude is causing problems, and poor Meep :( 

So, is Strong Man Lobster Boy

's father

• Love 6
Guest Accused Dingo

I found this episode, like the last one, to be shockingly dull. This is American Horror Story, people, you should at least be entertaining.

I think my least favorite part is Evan Peters' whiny, dull-as-dishwater character.

It depends on the kind of horror you find entertaining. Horror has become a wide genre and it is not just about edge of your seat gotchs moments. Freak Show is a blend of.psychological thriller and comedy with a pinch of made for tv moments that Ryan Murphy is known for. If you liked Asylun you will like ghis. If you havent liked the show since Murder House then you might not. Edited by Accused Dingo
  • Love 2

It depends on the kind of horror you find entertaining. Horror has become a wide genre and it is not just sbout edge of your seat gotchaoments. Freak Show is a blend of.psychological thriller and comedy with a pinch of made for tv moments that Ruan Murphy is known for. If you liked Asylun you will like ghis. If you havent liked the show since Murder Hpuse then you might not.

I loved Asylum. And I definitely don't love this, at least not so far. Asylum had a ton of depth. This is just a bunch of cliches.

• Love 10

I love dark comedy. I liked Fiona Apple's song. I enjoyedTwisty & Dandy until they teamed up on the kids. And I found nothing to laugh at when Pepper's friend was dumped. I find hurting innocents disturbing. I like weird fantasy not cruel reality.

• Love 4

I love dark comedy. I liked Fiona Apple's song. I enjoyedTwisty & Dandy until they teamed up on the kids. And I found nothing to laugh at when Pepper's friend was dumped. I find hurting innocents disturbing. I like weird fantasy not cruel reality.

Unfortunately Ryan Murphy's version or horror is cruel reality. AHS is campy and weird but it's quite deep and socially reflexive. Freakshow is scary in the same way Asylum was scary. The true horror is the way society treats other human beings who are different. And the school shooting element from Murder House is probably the most horrific American story there is in modern times. To me the horror element in Coven was LaLaurie's treatment of the slaves, and slavery in general. Maybe I'm reading too much into it but I think the gimmicky horror cliches are only there to mask the real horrors of society.

Edited by rho
  • Love 21

So, to be honest, I watched tonight's episode while doing other things and my attention was elsewhere. That said, I remember looking up at the TV at 10:30 and being annoyed that nothing of substance had occurred up until that point. It just seems like a bunch of infighting between the freaks, and everyone is pretty much spinning their wheels. The kidnapped kids almost made it out, and then Dandy returned things to the status quo. I was just... bored. 

I want to like this season, but I'm struggling. 

• Love 2

I'm not afraid of clowns, but I do happen to be afraid of men whose mouths look like the black, stinking, yawning portal to Hell.  And yes, that is definitely a human scalp on his head.

The toy shop owner's head caught my attention at the very first second they panned over it, because it stood out so clearly in a "one of these things is not like the others" way, so all the suspense leading up to the discovery of it upon the shelf felt like an eternity to me.  If Twisty brought the robot toy as a gift for the captured boy, then does that mean the young guy's head was a present for the girl?

I really love salmon but can't afford to buy it fresh as often as I'd like, so seeing that enormous fish laying prepared and uneaten on the giant table hurt my feelings.  You just don't waste good salmon.  EVER.

I'm not sorry that Meep died.  Was I really supposed to be upset that a person who bites the heads off of small live animals got killed?  I guess his baby voice was supposed to melt my heart, but as far as I'm concerned, good riddance, and may all the birds and rodents of Jupiter, FL now rest easy.

• Love 7

Did yall see the murdering clown's mouth after the mask came off? That ish was nasty!!

I'm glad they revealed that early on this season. I think I read something where Ryan Murphy said this is the ep we'd find out. I was thinking he'd have a real set of nasty teeth under there, but not as messed up mouth as we saw. The was disturbingly awesome.

Meep. :(

Meep Meep!  Well at least I won't have to see him bite off any more poor animals heads.  I was faster this time and closed my eyes before I saw him decapitate the poor little chicks head.  (did they show that?)

Del has some anger issues for sure.

"Ding-a-ling" was used twice tonight.

Dandy helping Twisty. Oooh I did not see that coming. And his hair  looks much better without those stupid curls.

I liked Bette harmonizing with Dot. Or was it the other way around. I don't remember who is who.

So Patti LaBelle was cast as a maid? Whatever.

I see Francis Conroy is rocking some fun glasses again, like last season.

I found this ep kind of slow, it had some good spots but, I don't know...it's not flowing yet. where as season one and two...I was pretty invested in them from the get go.  Damn it I want to really like this season, so I will give it time. It's still early.

Edited by Valny

That scene at the dinner table in the tent was very reminiscent of the clip from Freaks that someone posted last week. They were chanting something similiar gabble gobble, or whatever that was & then Jimmy screamed at them to shut up like the blonde lady did in the clip. I thought it was well done as a sort of tribute to the clip of last week.

• Love 2

Jimmy- Look where he has you billed

Elsa- (see's her name at the bottom)He's got to go

That was great lol.

I also like Evan and Kathy together so far. They didn't work together last year so it's nice to see new actors together.

I liked when Bette was trying to sing and they cut to Ma Petite and she had a small eye roll going on.

• Love 4

Bruinsfan said:

On rewatch I cracked up at the look Twisty gave Francis Conroy's character on the road. Like "Lady, what is wrong with you?"

I think Twisty's inner monologue goes, "Killkillkillkill Good God is EVERYONE in this town crazier than me? killkillkill..."

(Answer:  yes).

Edited by LeighAnne
  • Love 14

On rewatch I cracked up at the look Twisty gave Francis Conroy's character on the road. Like "Lady, what is wrong with you?"

Everything with Twisty was pretty awesome. When the killer clown thinks your crazy, then you are crazy. I want a whole season with Dandy and his mom.  

I had a hard time feeling anything for Meep, considering he tears the heads off of live animals. And, I get that sexual violence is key in horror, but why is it that in every installment, it's the women who are victims? 

I am more interested in Twisty's victims, which means they will probably die or, knowing Ryan Murphy, we won't even see them after the 6th episode.

Edited by CatMomma
  • Love 2

Ryan Murphy ‏@MrRPMurphy 7h7 hours ago

Twisty's dental care is a national tragedy.

I am finding this season a little boring too.   Not sure what it is is the clown isn't even scary becasue you know he is twisted.  And when people know there is a murdering on the loose and they go looking  at blood trails I can't have much sympathy for them.      Dandy will wear thin and the clown  and him will have to have some show down at some point.

I do Like Angela Bassett's character so far so more of her less, Even Peters, and Kathy Bates is doing nothing for me either.

It's definitely slower than the other seasons, but I think it has a lot to do with my expectations. If this was a brand new show, I'd probably love it, but I came into this expecting non-stop craziness, and that's not happening. I don't think it's a bad thing (and craziness is sure to come eventually) but it's hard to adjust.

Dandy is definitely the most interesting character so far. And maybe I'm insane, but in his scene with Jimmy Darling, I was waiting for them to make out. There was some chemistry there. But then, Dandy had to go and assist the killer clown, and I think that's too crazy even for Jimmy. Too bad, really. 

I really like Angela Bassett's character so far, and I'm enjoying Frances Conroy, Jessica Lange and Sarah Paulson as always. I do miss Lily Rabe, and I think this show could benefit from Emma Roberts' energy right now (ETA: The 2012 version of me is going "wait, what?"). I have no idea when she's entering the picture, though.

Edited by Xazeal
  • Love 1

I am loving this season. I found previous seasons to be all over the place and too frantic. I like the slower pace.

I am with others that Dandy is my favorite, although I think Finn Wittrock looks a little too old for that character.

• Love 1

I really didn't like the look of seething jealousy Elsa had for Dot when she was singing, her time has passed, she needs to accept it.

A great cover of "Criminal" by Sarah Paulson by the way.

Unfortunately Ryan Murphy's version or horror is cruel reality. AHS is campy and weird but it's quite deep and socially reflexive. Freakshow is scary in the same way Asylum was scary. The true horror is the way society treats other human beings who are different. And the school shooting element from Murder House is probably the most horrific American story there is in modern times. To me the horror element in Coven was LaLaurie's treatment of the slaves, and slavery in general. Maybe I'm reading too much into it but I think the gimmicky horror cliches are only there to mask the real horrors of society.

I agree with everything you said. And I've said the same thing while watching previous seasons. The message in Asylum was the "sane" people were more monstrous than those in the asylum, and this theme carries through all seasons. Perhaps I look at these past seasons with rose colored glasses. I'm not sure why this episode bothered me so much. Perhaps it's not as cloaked as last season's. I'm still in and I know I'll be manipulated and jerked from here to there but I like not being able to solve Ryan Murphy's mysteries. Thanks for making me ruminate. 

• Love 1

Eh, not feeling it this season.  I was afraid this was going to happen---a lot of 'weird' things going on for weirdness' sake because we are at a freak show, but no coherent storyline.  I felt that is the same thing that happened last season, but I enjoyed that more than I have this so far.  This is my least favorite of Jessica's characters so far.  The two headed girl looks obviously fake to me in a lot of the scenes and totally draws me out of the story.  Her performance last night was oddly entertaining, but I don't understand--who are the people attending these performances?   Where did the people from the impromptu mosh-pit come from?  How is Elsa paying for everything and keeping everyone fed?  My favorite part is Kathy Bates and her odd accent. 

Edited by Joan van Snark
  • Love 1

I can deal with Jessica Lange's bad accent (though it still sounds French to me) but Kathy Bates' accent takes me right out of the show. 

I am with others that Dandy is my favorite, although I think Finn Wittrock looks a little too old for that character.

I think that's part of the point. He's supposed to be a grown ass man who behaves like a petulant child. It's partly his mental illness, and party the way his mother has raised/spoiled the shit out of him.

I don't mind the animal cruelty and sexual violence. They're both a part of "violence" and "horror" (which is what this show is all about), and I'm not any more upset by them than I am of murder, beating, kidnapping, etc. 

• Love 2

Can we have more of Dot singing please? Can't just me, right? She's my favourite of the twins and clearly Jimmy's too. Elsa looked seriously pissed off when she was singing Criminal.

Didn't like that Elsa was able to manipulate Bette or that she seems to be ignoring the obvious warning signs about Toledo. He's going to bring them more trouble than they already have. Great scenes with him, Jimmy and Ethel though.

Not sure what to make of Desiree. She might be likeable, she might not. It'll depend really.

Dandy is even freakier than that fecking clown to be honest. Even Twisty seemed creeped out by him before their team up. Gloria is also giving me the creeps too.

Felt bad for Jimmy throughout this episode as well. Generally I like him enough as a character.

A better episode than the first one, 8/10

• Love 1

I agree rho. AHS is compelling and memorable because it balances the bat shit crazy fun kind of horror with the truly horrifying "real world" terror that we see everyday on the news and in history books.

• Love 1

I was half-asleep, and fell asleep on the replay, but I thought it was better than last week's episode.

The clown in the store at the beginning creeped me out - the not-so-cute version of ET hiding in the furry toys. I knew he was going to be there, and I guess that was the head he pulled out in front of the kids?

I don't like Dandy, and felt bad for the girl when he carried her back to that trailer, but it also cracked me up when the clown looked like he thought he was really messed up.

I wish they would give Jessica Lange something to do, aside from the aging diva character. I thought she was at her best in Asylum, even though she was also an entertainer at some point in her life, on that season.

• Love 1

The problem for me will come if, as in Coven, there is no one likable enough to root for.  In Murder House and Asylum we had at least a few characters who were able to hang on to some small amount of good will...heck I was a bit sympathatic to Tate (due in no small part to the actor, I'm sure) and in Asylum I was even rooting for Sister Jude by the end as well as Kit and Whats-her-name reporter.  In Coven, however, they were all so vile that by the end of the show I just wanted them all dead..except poor Misty and Cordelia but even they were so selectively stupid it worked my last nerve.  I just wanted it to be over.  I had invested the time in watching the whole season so I felt like I had to watch it to the end but I wasn't happy about it.

To be honest, I was so little invested by the end of Coven that I don't entirely remember how it ended....it was a mess and all over the place. 

So here we are:  Elsa is jealous, manipulative and not above drugging people to get what she wants. Jimmy has already killed someone, one episode in, Bette killed her mother and Dot stabbed Bette. 

I don't mind my heros/heroines having both good and bad qualities as most people do but I don't want them to be so hateful I can't get behind them.

• Love 8

RIP Meep =( 

I felt bad for Meep and while I don't agree with what he does he certainly didn't deserve to die like that. 

Ethel's accent:  I've meet people who have traveled their whole lives and have lived in a lot, A LOT, of different places and they seem to pick up a weird combination of accents as well so I would guess that would be Ethel's case.  Kathy Bates is much too skilled an actress to simply half ass an accent so I would think the difficulty to pin down where it originates is on purpose.

Still loving the show!  Twisty the Clown's face when Dandy was trying to entertain him was too funny.  The "please kill me now!" look.  Weird where you can find humor on this show.

Edited by Dirtybubble
  • Love 2

The problem for me will come if, as in Coven, there is no one likable enough to root for.  In Murder House and Asylum we had at least a few characters who were able to hang on to some small amount of good will...heck I was a bit sympathatic to Tate (due in no small part to the actor, I'm sure) and in Asylum I was even rooting for Sister Jude by the end as well as Kit and Whats-her-name reporter.  In Coven, however, they were all so vile that by the end of the show I just wanted them all dead..except poor Misty and Cordelia but even they were so selectively stupid it worked my last nerve.  I just wanted it to be over.  I had invested the time in watching the whole season so I felt like I had to watch it to the end but I wasn't happy about it.

I know I shouldn’t get attached to her, but I can’t help but to root for Bonnie to survive the season.

Not only is she a modern thinking woman with common sense (remember she’s the one to bring the condoms to the picnic after all), she’s also intelligent and has enough presence of mind to try to keep looking for ways to escape. And she would’ve succeeded if it were not for Dandy! 

Really, Bonnie is the standout character of the season for me so far. It’s so rare to have a character in this show that’s almost entirely heroic. Basically the only thing she’s done that could be considered negative was not making sure that the little boy sticked with her when they made a run for it and even that is perfectly understandable under the circumstances.

Besides, given the slasher elements of Twisty’s storyline, she’d fill the Final Girl role quite nicely.

• Love 2

Oh, Dandy. I kind of saw the team-up with Twisty coming when the maid was telling about the animal parts behind the shed--that is, after all, classic serial killer starter behavior. I have to wonder how long the clown will let him hang around before he drives him crazy enough to just kill him and be done with it.

I'm hoping they give Jessica more to do as the season goes along. So far, Elsa's motives are clear and her manipulative nature is on full display, but I want something more.

• Love 2

I feel like there's no escape for Bonnie and the boy if Dandy's there, and that makes me quite nervous. They'll be two sets of eyes of the captives, Dandy might even be more inclined to maime or dissect them because he doesn't have the urge to keep pets and attempt to entertain them. That's the thing about Twisty, he was evil and deranged, but he had obvious weaknesses - whenever he let's his guard down to perform his act, which seems to be in earnest instead of simply a distraction before violence. But Dandy has a place in society, can speak, can reason (in his own childish way). He has weaknesses too, but the tag team on the kids I feel is going to happen makes me not look forward to the next installment. No matter what else happens along the way if these two kids make it out I'll be ok with it.

Also, I can't remember, did Bonnie and/or boy see what was under Twisty's mask or had they hightailed it out of there by then?

• Love 1

I was afraid this was going to happen---a lot of 'weird' things going on for weirdness' sake because we are at a freak show, but no coherent storyline.

That's definitely the way I felt about Coven, but so far I'm not feeling that way about Freaks. Of course, it's early yet. But already I sense a more cohesive storyline than anything employed on Coven. Very much enjoying the addition of Michael Chiklis, and the return of Angela Basset. 

Also, this episode didn't have the same problem with the overly loud music that the pilot had, thank goodness.

I think Dandy is going to be the breakout character to watch this season. He and his mother are hysterical. I want to know more about them. 

I can't help it, I did feel bad for Meep. 

I only just caught the fact that Pepper is, in fact, the same character she played in Asylum. Not just another pinhead played by the same actress, but the same Pepper that will eventually wind up locked away in the Asylum in the 60s.

• Love 5

I think Dandy creeps me out more than Twisty does. That speaks volumes as I do not fancy clowns too much. I'm enjoying the show. It's taking me a bit to get to know all the characters. Still confused as to why Elsa drugged the candy stripper in the first episode and where is she now? Chained up somewhere?

RIP Meep Meep. Sure, I'm an animal lover and did not like the fact that his talent was to bite the heads off of little creatures, but if that's all he has to offer to make ends meat. I guess I can forgive him.

• Love 3

Why doesn't Twisty want to kill Dandy or Dandy's mother?

The mouth...yikes. I can't believe I prefer the half a mask. Also, why does the scalp on his head still seem more or less fresh?

I agree that the effects for the twins aren't very good.

I don't mind the anachronistic songs. For a show like this I think it works.

I was one of the very, very few people who was not looking forward to a whole season focused on a freak show.  I was more interested in the theme of the previous season and the first season than I was in this one (I was not gung ho on "Asylum" at first, either).  I just could not care less about circuses, freak shows or any of it.  Clowns bore me.  I don't care about bearded ladies.  I knew I would tune in -- at least for a few episodes -- but the theme itself just annoys me.   But I've said in the past that this show is nothing if not watchable.  Even when the plots are ridiculous and everything is a hot mess, somehow it is still a very interesting hot mess.  The visuals are always fascinating.  It's always intriguing, even when it's silly.  It's like the best, most delightful, train wreck.

Ryan Murphy loves his serial killers, doesn't he?  Hasn't there been a serial killer in every single season at this point?  I wonder why he always relegates the killers to a secondary story or back story instead of just doing a full season about one particular murderer.

I have loved Jessica Lange in the previous 3 seasons -- she has been a highlight and scene stealer -- but, so far, this season she is not that interesting.  I realize we are only 2 episodes in and I am sure she will be committing all sorts of nefarious deeds in no time, but she is off to a slow-ish start.  (I know that Elsa us a bad person and has already done some bad things, but she has still been kind of dull so far!  Lol.)

Kathy Bates and Angela Bassett are always great.  Sarah Paulson is always good.  I am glad that there's no Taissa Farmiga this year.  I wish that Dylan McDermott and Zachary Quinto would come back to the cast.

Edited by Sherry67
  • Love 2

I was one of the very, very few people who was not looking forward to a whole season focused on a freak show.  I was more interested in the theme of the previous season and the first season than I was in this one (I was not gung ho on "Asylum" at first, either).  I just could not care less about circuses, freak shows or any of it.  Clowns bore me.  I don't care about bearded ladies.  I knew I would tune in -- at least for a few episodes -- but the theme itself just annoys me.   But I've said in the past that this show is nothing if not watchable.  Even when the plots are ridiculous and everything is a hot mess, somehow it is still a very interesting hot mess.  The visuals are always fascinating.  It's always intriguing, even when it's silly.  It's like the best, most delightful, train wreck.

Ryan Murphy loves his serial killers, doesn't he?  Hasn't there been a serial killer in every single season at this point?  I wonder why he always relegates the killers to a secondary story or back story instead of just doing a full season about one particular murderer.

I have loved Jessica Lange in the previous 3 seasons -- she has been a highlight and scene stealer -- but, so far, this season she is not that interesting.  I realize we are only 2 episodes in and I am sure she will be committing all sorts of nefarious deeds in no time, but she is off to a slow-ish start.  (I know that Elsa us a bad person and has already done some bad things, but she has still been kind of dull so far!  Lol.)

Kathy Bates and Angela Bassett are always great.  Sarah Paulson is always good.  I am glad that there's no Taissa Farmiga this year.  I wish that Dylan McDermott and Zachary Quinto would come back to the cast.

I thought I read somewhere that Zachary Quinto was coming back at some point this season.  Maybe I dreamed it.

Why doesn't Twisty want to kill Dandy or Dandy's mother?

As was mentioned last week, Twisty really seems to want to entertain people. He only seems to "turn" when they act scared, i.e., no longer interested in his clown act. Dandy and his mother are exactly what he's been looking for--people who are genuinely interested in him as an entertainer.

That being said, Twisty didn't exactly give the toy store clerk a chance. However, I thought that was the only "scary" scene in the show thus far, so I'm going to let that slide! That was brilliant with the build up of sloooooowly following the blood trail from the robot toy, the terrifying glimpse of Twisty between the (fun!) clown mannequins, and the pan up the dripping blood to the store owner's head! That scene was so perfectly drawn out for maximum impact that I was talking to myself the whole time: Oh, my god! Oh, my god! This is scary! All of these sudden stabbings are just ho-hum in comparison to me.

Dandy and Twisty are my OTP (one true pairing)--as my teenage daughter would say. I am really into this developing storyline. Dandy in particular is very interesting because how did this guy with a perfect life become the biggest "freak" of them all? Well, obviously the overbearing, infantilizing mother. Just to hit us over the head with it, he drinks scotch (or whatever) from a crystal baby bottle engraved with his name! And I'm loving how he tried to go the "legitimate" route of being a freak entertainer by trying to join Elsa's troupe. Twisty was probably shunned by society for being too MUCH of a freak to be an entertainer. Dandy was shunned for not being ENOUGH of a freak to be an entertainer. But together they'll be crazy, murderous ENTERTAINERS!

This show was just eh to me the first episode, but now I'm completely hooked! I only hope that we won't get a singing number EVERY week. I think if they were spread out, two for the whole season, then okay. I'm even alright with the freak of the week singing a number that takes you out of 1952. However, I need to draw the line at the AUDIENCE moshing and crowd surfing the freaks! Come on! That didn't work for me. You can't break the whole scene out of 1952 Jupiter, Florida. If they do another contemporary song next week, I'm writing my local congressman in protest! ;-)

• Love 5