Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E02: Massacres And Matinees

• Start Topic

I enjoy different types of horror and even some absurd types of entertainment, but it has to be interesting. Twisty and Dandy are the only interesting thing so far, the freaks are just dull. I love Jessica, but every season she plays a variation of her role as an aging ingenue who is bitter and jealous of younger women. Even when she was Sister Jude, she was this same person in different clothes. Jessica is a talented actress and too good to be typecast. 

The mosh pit containing workers from the 1950's was just silly; people in those days were scared of freaks, they wouldn't interact with them. And the police came and searched the place but quickly left after only finding a badge. Wouldn't they be interested in actually finding the officer that went with it? And with the Strong Man and Lobster boy they, they really thought little Meep murdered the officer himself? 

• Love 4

I knew I would tune in -- at least for a few episodes -- but the theme itself just annoys me.

That's how I felt about Coven: Witches? Really? The theme itself was an eyeroller for me, so I waited (and waited...) for some interesting character or storyline that never came to be.

I noticed Frances Conroy's character once again has the one dilated pupil as she did in Season 1; did her character in Coven have it as well, and I just never noticed it because I was too bored to pay attention?

rho wrote:

Unfortunately Ryan Murphy's version or horror is cruel reality. AHS is campy and weird but it's quite deep and socially reflexive. Freakshow is scary in the same way Asylum was scary. The true horror is the way society treats other human beings who are different. And the school shooting element from Murder House is probably the most horrific American story there is in modern times. To me the horror element in Coven was LaLaurie's treatment of the slaves, and slavery in general. Maybe I'm reading too much into it but I think the gimmicky horror cliches are only there to mask the real horrors of society.

On the nose. The terror is this show is not the things that go bump in the night, but our cruelty to others. When well-deployed, it cuts on a much deeper level than typical horror fare.

Edited by designing1
  • Love 2

That being said, Twisty didn't exactly give the toy store clerk a chance. However, I thought that was the only "scary" scene in the show thus far, so I'm going to let that slide! That was brilliant with the build up of sloooooowly following the blood trail from the robot toy, the terrifying glimpse of Twisty between the (fun!) clown mannequins, and the pan up the dripping blood to the store owner's head! That scene was so perfectly drawn out for maximum impact that I was talking to myself the whole time: Oh, my god! Oh, my god! This is scary! All of these sudden stabbings are just ho-hum in comparison to me.

Dandy and Twisty are my OTP (one true pairing)--as my teenage daughter would say. I am really into this developing storyline. Dandy in particular is very interesting because how did this guy with a perfect life become the biggest "freak" of them all? Well, obviously the overbearing, infantilizing mother. Just to hit us over the head with it, he drinks scotch (or whatever) from a crystal baby bottle engraved with his name! And I'm loving how he tried to go the "legitimate" route of being a freak entertainer by trying to join Elsa's troupe. Twisty was probably shunned by society for being too MUCH of a freak to be an entertainer. Dandy was shunned for not being ENOUGH of a freak to be an entertainer. But together they'll be crazy, murderous ENTERTAINERS!

Hrumph! You make a good point about the clerk not being given a chance. However, I was so into this scene until the camera panned up the shelves and right before you get to the head- there were cat decoration...just the heads with cone hats...that are seriously from this year's HOBBY LOBBY Halloween supply! Took me right out of the scene. I mean, really. A month ago I was there looking at those creepy little cat heads in a store that's pretty much all throughout the US. Couldn't they have at least altered them a little or gotten some more generic decorations? Sorry for the small nitpick but this isn't set in 2014.

• Love 1
The mosh pit containing workers from the 1950's was just silly; people in those days were scared of freaks, they wouldn't interact with them.

I found this to be it be confusing and unreal to me.  When I was watching this scene on t.v. I first thought that maybe it was another imaged scenario created by Elsa Mars similar to last week when there was a big production on stage with performers and glitter and such but when the number ended the camera showed her standing on the stage by herself.

Am I correct in thinking that or did the audience really fight to get closer to the stage and have some of the "freaks" body surf over the audience.  ReallY?!

And with the Strong Man and Lobster boy they, they really thought little Meep murdered the officer himself?

This is just me guessing but maybe they only cared about removing as many freaks as possible from their town so their thought was who cares if Meep is guilty or not, let's knowingly thrown the poor thing in a jail with several other non tolerants and then dump his body at the carnival.

• Love 2

This is just me guessing but maybe they only cared about removing as many freaks as possible from their town so their thought was who cares if Meep is guilty or not, let's knowingly thrown the poor thing in a jail with several other non tolerants and then dump his body at the carnival.

I thought they did it to send a message to the rest of the freaks--let Meep get killed by the others, then dump his body to try and get the rest to confess/leave/etc. Otherwise there'd be no reason to take the body back.

• Love 1

That's how I felt about Coven: Witches? Really? The theme itself was an eyeroller for me, so I waited (and waited...) for some interesting character or storyline that never came to be.

I noticed Frances Conroy's character once again has the one dilated pupil as she did in Season 1; did her character in Coven have it as well, and I just never noticed it because I was too bored to pay.

Her eye is like that in real life. I remember reading something (maybe when Murder House was airing?) about it but can't remember specifically. I think there was some sort of accident and the injury caused the pupil to be permanently dilated (similar to David Bowie).

I do remember her statement that one of the good things about starring in AHS seasons is that she doesn't have to wear a contact lens to make her eye look "normal".

Edited by Sile
  • Love 4

Interesting, Sile! I always assumed the damaged eye was the contact because I didn't remember anything unusual from Six Feet Under. I suppose she could have been wearing a lens in that show, or that whatever happened took place in the interim between the two shows.

• Love 1

I'm having trouble watching the scenes in the bus; I keep having flashbacks to the last couple of episodes of True Detective. While there's a big gap in the quality of the two shows, the bus is just too evocative of the kids who were imprisoned on that dirty mattress.

But aside from that... while the lack of a real plot kind of bugs, I think the characters are enough to keep me coming back for at least another couple more episodes. Or maybe I just want to hear more anachronistic music.

Finally watching last night's now. So far, Dandy bugs the shit out of me. He's like a whiny 6 year old sociopath trapped in an adult's body. I can't. His mom though, is awesome. Frances Conroy is always great.

Twisty....I like him. I like under his mask even better. But I was kind of surprised it wasn't worse.

Strongman (if he even is one, I have seen no evidence either way) is gonna get his ass murdered. I predict this. Does Lobster Boy realize that's his father? Or is it just us and Ethel that know? Does even Elsa?

Edited by fliptopbox
  • Love 1

Well, there was that scene in the beginning when the Strong Man walked in on his wife getting it on with that random and twisted the poor fool's head backwards all lickety split. Seems like a show of strength to me.

• Love 1

I  thought Twisty wasn't wearing a mask and I was wrong. I wonder what happened to him. If he's really human, eating must be complicated.

Dandy and his mother deserve their own show, they're hysterical. And she's more than a overprotective, spoiling mother, she's out of her mind too. I mean, the way she reacted when she saw Twisty? Even the clown couldn't believe it.

I've eaten snails dozens of times and I would have never guessed that's what they were going to eat if they hadn't said so. What was that white stuff?

This is my first season of AHS  and I'm okay with its pace.

I'm sorry for Meep. I don't think he can be blamed for his number at all, since he seemed to have some kind of serious mental disability.

I hate Dell. His wife can stay, though.

If the twin who can't sing is seriously planning to kill her sister, she must be completely crazy too. Does she think she'll just have to cut the spare head off and that's all, as good as new? And no one will notice? And Elsa, wow. She really doesn't believe in firing people.

Edited by Helena Dax
  • Love 7

Still confused as to why Elsa drugged the candy stripper in the first episode and where is she now? Chained up somewhere?

Elsa said something to the candy striper like "you'll be back", so she was presumably released knowing that she couldn't call the police about either the twins or the drug-fueled fun because of the film. It remains to be seen whether Elsa's prediction was correct.

If the twin who can't sing is seriously planning to kill her sister, she must be completely crazy too. Does she think she'll just have to cut the spare head off and that's all, as good as new? And no one will notice? And Elsa, wow. She really doesn't believe in firing people.

I assumed that she was going to possibly stab her in larynx rendering her mute, but I suppose that wasn't actually stated, so who knows.

I think Dandy is my favorite character so far. I find him so intriguing, and the fact that the clown seemed creeped out by him was hilarious!

I don't know how I feel about the Freaks having all this internal trouble and turning on each other. It makes the show much more distressing, but I liked thinking of them as a family. Now Elsa is turning the twins against one another, the Strong Man dude is causing problems, and poor Meep :( 

So, is Strong Man Lobster Boy

's father

?

Dandy creeps me out more than Twisty, and that's saying a lot. Ugh.

Yep. I totally LOL'ed at Twisty being totally creeped out by Dandy. That's the best thing about this season of AHS to date.

As for the "spoiler" I think they made it pretty clear that he was, but that Lobster Boy has no clue about it.

Bruinsfan said: 

I think Twisty's inner monologue goes, "Killkillkillkill Good God is EVERYONE in this town crazier than me? killkillkill..."

(Answer:  yes).

Yeppers. *shudders*

Guest Accused Dingo

So far I am really enjoying this season.    I like most of the characters and I am enjoying what looks to be the major story arcs.  This episode was mainly to introduce what will quite possibly be the major story arcs this season.  Elsa and her jealousy that Dot has become the headliner she will bring Bette into it.  This will be interesting because it is not like Bette and Dot can just leave each other.  

I also like the us vs them story between the Freaks and the town.  I liked the scene with Dandy and  Jimmy (that is Evan Peter's Character's name right)  Anyway I like the idea of the question; which one is the bigger freak.  The one which the physical deformity  or the one with the emotional one?  I think that question is going to be asked a lot  #WEAREALLFREAKS.

Twisty and Dandy are my new OTP.  I think they will work well for and with each other.  It will be interesting to see what direction their friendship will take,

Above I said this was a lot like Asylum but I think I am wrong.  Asylum was a pure psychological thriller Freak Show isn't.  I think this will have a lot of narrative influences but in the end it will be a horror comedy.  There won't be shock moments or even psychological terrors but there will be horror moments that play like comedies (Like the  Dandy and Twisty in Dandy's play room.)  Talk about twisted.  

My favorite character(s) are still Dot and Bette and I really want to see how their story develops over the season.

Dell is going to be a source of division in the show.  That is his point.  Might makes right.  Added to that he find himself mostly above the other freaks in the show.  He is better then they are (At least in his mind). Which is why he had no problem setting yup Meep.  

Poor Meep.  How could they even consider this tiny, 50-lb body could kill a big cop?  And why didn't they look for the body?

Bigotry.  Simple Bigotry.   Why look any further when you have a freak you can pin it on....and maybe it will all go away.  Get those damn freaks out of town and the killing will stop.    This is 1952 when everyone and everything was segregated.   That scene in the dinner when Jimmy and the freaks came in was funny in all the wrong ways.   "If they got to know us they would find out we were like them.  No better no worse"  Paraphrasing _ I think.   But no...not in 1952.  

Yes Poor Meep.  He wasn't strong he was just weird.  I can relate.  

Actually I think that's why I am enjoying this season....I can relate.  

Edited by Accused Dingo
  • Love 2

I only just caught the fact that Pepper is, in fact, the same character she played in Asylum. Not just another pinhead played by the same actress, but the same Pepper that will eventually wind up locked away in the Asylum in the 60s.

GET! OUT!!! I did not put that together!!!

• Love 2
Guest Accused Dingo
I only just caught the fact that Pepper is, in fact, the same character she played in Asylum. Not just another pinhead played by the same actress, but the same Pepper that will eventually wind up locked away in the Asylum in the 60s.

This is supposed to be a prequel to Asylum and takes place in 1952

• Love 2

Can someone with a better memory remind me how Pepper ended up being framed for murder? It was something about the death of a child who was (I think) related to her in some way. I'm just curious if the murder that she was ultimately put away for is something that might end up coming up this season.

Her being framed is reminiscent of what happened with Meep in terms of the authorities simply wanting to have the crime "solved" quickly as opposed to caring about catching the actual killer, only Pepper was "lucky" enough to have been put in an asylum.

The only thing I don't like about this tie in to Asylum is that Pepper never had a line about how much Sister Jude looks like her old boss Elsa. Oh well.

• Love 4

Can someone with a better memory remind me how Pepper ended up being framed for murder? It was something about the death of a child who was (I think) related to her in some way. I'm just curious if the murder that she was ultimately put away for is something that might end up coming up this season.

Her being framed is reminiscent of what happened with Meep in terms of the authorities simply wanting to have the crime "solved" quickly as opposed to caring about catching the actual killer, only Pepper was "lucky" enough to have been put in an asylum.

The only thing I don't like about this tie in to Asylum is that Pepper never had a line about how much Sister Jude looks like her old boss Elsa. Oh well.

The way I remember it, either Pepper's sister or brother in law blamed Pepper for killer their child.  One or both of them actually did it, though

• Love 1

Did Twisty have an actual mouth? From the brief glimpse of it, I thought it looked like he was missing his entire jaw. Scary! Yes the CGI on the conjoined twins is looking rough, although I enjoyed their rendition of Fiona Apple. I wonder if they are going to have someone perform a contemporary song every week. Dandy is really annoying me and he is my least favorite character so far. From the preview for next week, looks like he dresses up as a smiley clown and terrorizes the the girl and boy Twisty captured. Love Patti LaBelle and hope she gets more to do later in the season than just playing the maid. I am also enjoying the acting performances by the real "freaks" on the show, particularly the tiny Indian lady, the torso lady, the tattooed man with short arms and the giant lady. After sitting through the awful "Coven", I am surprised that I am actually enjoying this season so far and hope the pace picks up soon.

Edited by Mattipoo
  • Love 3

I'm sorry for Meep. I don't think he can be blamed for his number at all, since he seemed to have some kind of serious mental disability.

I agree.  Meep probably had the mind of a two year old.  He no doubt was taught and encouraged to bite the heads off animals for the act and probably got a reward when he did it. He had no sense of how wrong it was.

Did anyone notice that although Bette couldn't carry a note in a bucket when she tried to sing solo, her harmony when Dot was singing was flawless.

I didn't watch the first two seasons.  I saw Coven, and so far I'm liking this better than Coven. And I don't like horror movies, so this is unusual for me.   

Edited by Gemma Violet
  • Love 4

Dandy and his mother deserve their own show, they're hysterical. And she's more than a overprotectiva, spoiling mother, she's out of her mind too. I mean, the way she reacted when she saw Twisty? Even the clown couldn't believe it.

I would watch the hell out of that show!

• Love 1
Ryan Murphy loves his serial killers, doesn't he?  Hasn't there been a serial killer in every single season at this point?  I wonder why he always relegates the killers to a secondary story or back story instead of just doing a full season about one particular murderer.

Maybe because the serial killers are usually the most well-adjusted people in these stories.

I wish that Dylan McDermott and Zachary Quinto would come back to the cast.

Not me. I can't explain why but McDermott is an automatic show-killer for me. He just grates on me for no real reason I can say.

That was brilliant with the build up of sloooooowly following the blood trail from the robot toy, the terrifying glimpse of Twisty between the (fun!) clown mannequins, and the pan up the dripping blood to the store owner's head! That scene was so perfectly drawn out for maximum impact

All I could think was "Who follows a blood trail around a corner like that?" I think most people would look up right away, rather than keeping their head down and eyes glued to the ground all the way along. Once you know the direction you're going, you're gonna look up. I know it's a trope but I thought it was stupid and it took me right out of the moment.

Edited by Starchild
  • Love 4

Poor Meep.  How could they even consider this tiny, 50-lb body could kill a big cop?  And why didn't they look for the body?

It was 1952. There was no innocent til proven guilty back then, or rights for all people. We need to stop acting/thinking like this show is taking place today, because it was extremely different back then. There was still segregation between black and white people, so I am sure anyone considered a freak was not taken kindly to at all. Meep was a scapegoat, which is unfortunate, but for the time completely believeable.

Edited by fliptopbox
  • Love 6

I am liking the season so far. Seems more directed then Coven, at least, but it might be too early to tell.

I must say, I find the clown just creepy and "what is going on?" more then scary. I guess I am more scared by psychological/thriller elements, rather then slasher. Also; never been afraid of clowns and personally don't understand that fear, but YMMV on that, I guess. I was surprised by Dandy pairing up with him, though. That will be a interesting story-line.

I must say, when Meep was put into the jail cell and seeing the little guy all frightened, helpless and threatened... That might be the most visceral reaction I have ever had to anything I have ever seen on AHS.

• Love 4

Dandy reminds me of my brother. I guess that's not a good thing for my brother.

Loving Desiree. Her description of her "freakiness" had me rolling.

Elsa: "And that makes you?"

Strong Man: "The happiest man alive."

I cracked up.

I like the story line of Desiree - Strongman - Lobster Boy - Bearded Lady.

Poor Bonnie and kiddo. I'm rooting for them. She's thinking better than I would be in that situation. I agree with PP - not much hope now that Dandy has joined the team, but I anticipate the pairing doesn't go so well and one of them dies.

Jessica Lange's character is the same as always. She's the most boring part to me, which is a shame.

I did feel bad for Meep, head-biting and all. :(

All I need is a shot of Jessica Lange leaning on a tent pole in that fabulous David Bowie suit and I'm happy.  I'm fine with having them spend time with other characters as long as the camera catches her and all her great reaction shots.  Also, not that this is necessarily true, I imagine that JL is getting a bit tired of all this by now. It was her idea to do one last thing and she wanted it to be something "Marlene Dietrich" related. At least I think I read that somewhere.  With her being the owner of this outfit, I don't think that gives her any time to not be in an episode. We will see.

Once again, blown away by Sarah Paulson and "Criminal"  Think they will put out a soundtrack?

Other than the serial killer aspect, Twisty is a joy to watch. Keep that thing on your face, though, Ok Twisty?  Dandy scares me so much more than Twisty. He's too possible-too real. There could be hundreds (more?) of psychopaths like him out there right now, in America alone.

Sorry for Meeps, but I was getting sick of trying to avert my eyes when he did his thing.

Sadly, I am still having a bit of trouble with Kathy Bates accent. It might be because we are only getting to hear a few sentences here and there. It reminds me of an accent she did before in some movie. Did she have an accent in Misery? Oh well. I'm still crazy about her.

I must really be loving this season because I want to say something about every character....but I won't. 

Edited by AlwaysWatching
  • Love 1
On rewatch I cracked up at the look Twisty gave Francis Conroy's character on the road. Like "Lady, what is wrong with you?"

I know. The only reaction to Twisty should be stomping down on the accelerator, tearing ass to the nearest air-or-seaport, fleeing to another continent and changing your name to "NotThatName Von NOPENOPE."

Ryan Murphy loves his serial killers, doesn't he?

Almost as much as he does deeply disturbing mother/son relationships!

Dandy and his mother deserve their own show, they're hysterical.

"We can play June Allyson paper dolls, or whatever you'd like!" I cracked up.

Edited by Snookums
  • Love 6

It was 1952. There was no innocent til proven guilty back then, or rights for all people. We need to stop acting/thinking like this show is taking place today, because it was extremely different back then. There was still segregation between black and white people, so I am sure anyone considered a freak was not taken kindly to at all. Meep was a scapegoat, which is unfortunate, but for the time completely believeable.

The police didn't actually think that Meep did it himself. When they were putting him behind bars, they mentioned that the plan was to put him "in the tank" for a night, so that he'd be scared enough to name names.

(Also, I don't think it's fair to say that the concept of "innocent until proven guilty" didn't exist in 1952. That concept goes back much further than that, which is why Meep wasn't put in the electric chair without trial. There were certainly people railroaded back then, but there are also plenty of people railroaded now.)

• Love 3

I was sad that Meep suffered such a horribly violent death, especially for a crime that he didn't commit.  I don't have a lack of compassion for him because of what his violent talent is on the Freak Show.  I see him as a product of his upbringing and also since most people fill their plates with meat that got there through a result that is not any less violent and probably more painful for the animal.  

• Love 4
Guest Accused Dingo

There has always been a bit of an overriding theme to this show and i think it will be especially evident in Freak Show. The American Dream is actually a horror story if you are the least bit different. People like Meep never stood a chance.

Edited by Accused Dingo
  • Love 2

This definitely isn't shaping up to be my favourite season, but I'm enjoying it.  I'm also developing an aversion to clowns.  And being thankful for my company dental care plan (Poor Twisty!)

I didn't really care that they killed Meep, partly because he bit the heads off of live things, but also because I didn't have time to really bond with him as a character. 

I am rooting for the girl and little boy to live out this season and be saved (or exact revenge).  If something happens to that boy I'm out.  That's my hard limit.

Lastly, Dandy is a fucking lunatic.

GET! OUT!!! I did not put that together!!!

I wouldn't have known it either unless I had read it in an article.  I haven't heard anyone say her name but yeah I read that it's Pepper from Asylum.  On a side note the actress that plays Pepper is beautiful!  I read she shaved her head and had a bunch of prosthetics and such for this role. 

So what does everyone think should win the award for Inanimate Object of the Week?

I'm voting for the monogrammed brandy nipple, but giving honorary mention to the world's tiniest violin

That is one thing Ryan Murphy knows how to do perfectly--decorate the hell out of a scene!  The Brandy nip through me for a loop but I loved the toy shop at the beginning of the episode.  I would shop there!

• Love 1

Agreed Helena Dax.    Poor Meep :(  Am I sensing a recurring theme coming?  A freak killed every week to scare them into leaving Jupiter?  "Freak a week"?   If anything happens to Ma Petit I will flip out.  I couldn't handle that.   I find her face captivating, she's so lovely.

Again, I'm in the minority as far as the CSOTW (contemporary song of the week).    Hate.   Also, hated the mosh pit and crowd surfing.  I don't understand why Ryan Murphy insists on taking me out of the moment with that.   

I kinda sorta called the Twisty/Dandy alliance earlier.  *pats self on back*     

I'm really digging this season.  Not overwhelmed with love, but I definitely am enjoying.

KUDOS to the poster who called the Pepper/Asylum connection, great observation !

• Love 1

KUDOS to the poster who called the Pepper/Asylum connection, great observation !

This is a first.  I'm quoting myself.  Is this legal ?  Is it freakish? LOL

THe more I thought about the Pepper issue....... the dumber I feel !   First off, her name is the SAME.   Asylum was based in the 60s.   Freak show in the 50s.  Should be obvious once the Freak Show is defunct that Pepper goes to the Asylum.  But in between there, she had to have been living in a home somewhere.  Because I remember Lana the Reporter asking how could she hurt anyone, since she seemed so harmless.   Then the nurse attending to Pepper said something to the effect of "she drowned a baby (a niece or a sister???) then chopped her ears off."   (EEK!)   

As for the plot point of the dead cop, am I understanding this correctly:  

Jimmy planted the cop's badge (during the "Criminal" song)  in Dell's trailer.    But then Dell turned around and planted the badge on Meep.

Right?   I'm sad that Jimmy didn't put up too much of a fight once they hauled off Meep............probably he figured he reached his limit and that would be far too obvious.

eta:  I'm entertained by you, Twisty !

Edited by jnymph
  • Love 1

I wish jimmy would have gone to the police quietly / pulled one aside and explained he found the badge in Strong Mans trailer rather than the badly executed planting of the badge. With the incident in Chicago, that would have been believable. Ugh. Shame on you AHS for making me feel badly for the death of an animal killing but pitiful Meep.

I've watched every episode of every season, and this was the first ep that left me feeling sad. Not scared, not creeped out, not even with a few lingering heebie jeebies. Just sad... about Dell and Jimmy, about Meep, even about Dot and Bette and the knife from Elsa somehow. Even the other "horrors/tragedies of human nature" presented in prior seasons didn't leave me with that totally bummed out sensation, because they didn't feel like they overshadowed all the other over the top horror comedy happening around them.

I enjoy AHS most when it's either totally scary, or simultaneously creeping me out and making me laugh (see e.g., Twisty and Dandy in Dandy's playroom. Creeplarious perfection.). If I wanted to feel bummed out, I could find that in dozens of other TV shows. It's definitely not why I tune in to AHS. I'd prefer that part get turned waaaay down in future eps. I'm not hopeful that's going to happen, but I'd sure prefer it.

• Love 1

Asylum is my favorite season of AHS, all have been great in their own way but Asylum *wow*

So far I'm liking Freak Show. Twisty is my favorite character(? freak?). I'm getting a little obsessed honestly, I'm making him my avatar everywhere. Best image of him - without that precious grin of his - I can find online is this one;

gasp.jpg?w=225&h=300

I would say you're welcome but I have a feeling I've made some enemies in this forum now *he*

• Love 3

This is supposed to be a prequel to Asylum and takes place in 1952

It's a little strange that Pepper is the same character, but surely Elsa does not become Sister Jude and Jimmy does not become Kit Walker. 

Sadly, I am still having a bit of trouble with Kathy Bates accent. It might be because we are only getting to hear a few sentences here and there. It reminds me of an accent she did before in some movie. Did she have an accent in Misery? Oh well. I'm still crazy about her. - Always Watching

Always Watching, you might be thinking of her Maine accent in "Dolores Claiborne", although she did have a very mild bit of mid-western going on in "Misery". I've read that her accent here for Ethel is supposed to be Baltimore. I've been to Baltimore a couple of times years ago, but don't remember hearing the accent. Maybe I'll check out some episodes of "The Wire" to see how it lines up, it is awfully strange sounding when she does it here.

I'm loving this season SO much more than Coven. That season just did not do it for me at all. Twisty is the best, his reaction shots are just brilliant, it's a major testament to John Carroll Lynch's talent that while so covered in makeup and prosthetics he has the most wonderful facial reactions. I'm also totally digging Dandy and his mom. I've been a huge fan of Francis Conroy since SFU and love the work she's done on this series (in fact, she's almost the only thing I liked in Coven "Balenciaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaga!!!!!!!!!!!").

I'm actually enjoying the anachronistic musical numbers, but I would die happy if Bette and Dot did "Sisters" from "White Christmas", and that would actually be period appropriate!

• Love 2

Did yall see the murdering clown's mouth after the mask came off? That ish was nasty!!

I wasn't nearly as grossed out about it as Ryan Murphy promised.  I said, "Ew" but that's about it.  The clown is already horrifying, that mangled-up mouth didn't add anything.

I read a lot of comments about how people thought the mouth reveal would be even more shocking/disgusting and I'm just wondering how that could even be possible? How can that toothless, maggot infested black hole be made to be any more revolting or shocking?

• Love 2
Also, hated the mosh pit and crowd surfing.  I don't understand why Ryan Murphy insists on taking me out of the moment with that.

WORD!  I kinda don't mind the out-of-place songs (it's been done in movies before) but come on, crowd surfing; it doesn't make sense for characters to do that so now their story feels.....uneven.  Since the audience seemed so pleased by Dot's singing and feel comfortable enough to let a "freak" crowd surf over them are they ok with the show?  I know they aren't so it doesn't make a bit of sense for this to happen and then go back to the way things were. 

I read a lot of comments about how people thought the mouth reveal would be even more shocking/disgusting and I'm just wondering how that could even be possible? How can that toothless, maggot infested black hole be made to be any more revolting or shocking?

I don't know either, I was kinda expecting the mouth to be filled with razor sharp teeth (like a shark) or something really off the charts like that but yeah having...........that--wowzers, it really makes me interested/terrified to see how he became what he is today.

• Love 1

Hrumph! You make a good point about the clerk not being given a chance. However, I was so into this scene until the camera panned up the shelves and right before you get to the head- there were cat decoration...just the heads with cone hats...that are seriously from this year's HOBBY LOBBY Halloween supply! Took me right out of the scene. I mean, really. A month ago I was there looking at those creepy little cat heads in a store that's pretty much all throughout the US. Couldn't they have at least altered them a little or gotten some more generic decorations? Sorry for the small nitpick but this isn't set in 2014.

Um, I've never set foot in a Hobby Lobby and don't plan to, but I'm guessing they've got retro Halloween decorations? I've seen similar items -- the real thing -- in antique stores.

• Love 5