Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E02: Massacres And Matinees

• Start Topic

And, I get that sexual violence is key in horror, but why is it that in every installment, it's the women who are victims? 

All three installments have had men as victims too. S1 - Tate sodomized the not-Zachary-Quinto half of the gay couple with a foreign object, I forget what now. S2 - Sister Mary Satan raped Joseph Fiennes's priest, and Kit was abducted by the aliens and presumably subjected to the anal probes. S3 - Mare Winningham's character was revealed to have been molesting her son from the time he was a kid all the way to the present.

There's no indication that the circus performers are aware of Twisty yet. I'm looking forward to their reactions...they may well try to recruit him, not realizing that he's murderous!

• Love 4

I must say, I find the clown just creepy and "what is going on?" more then scary. I guess I am more scared by psychological/thriller elements, rather then slasher. Also; never been afraid of clowns and personally don't understand that fear, but YMMV on that, I guess. I was surprised by Dandy pairing up with him, though. That will be a interesting story-line.

Having lived in Chicago with John Wayne Gacy's legacy, I truly hate clowns. 

http://www.oddee.com/item_97961.aspx

• Love 1

Do we even know if the sideshow people are aware of Twisty?  They never mention him and I've never seen him with any of them  I want to know about his back story, was he there when the circus came to town? 

I read somewhere (EW maybe?) that Twisty's back story will come in the fourth episode.

• Love 3

Having lived in Chicago with John Wayne Gacy's legacy, I truly hate clowns. 

http://www.oddee.com/item_97961.aspx

Interesting to compare:

Unlike JW Gacy, (who was a real life terror), Twisty thus far has not been a sex offender.  He just plain old kills.  I'm no serial killer expert but seems to me that they usually have some sort of sexual gratification, no?

The name "Twisty" obviously infers some sort of twist ................I'm wondering exactly what kind of twist RM has in store for us.  Surely, Dandy has to be involved.  Hmmmmm.  

I can't WAIT to hear his backstory.

Once again, I'm obsessing over Twisty.  What does that say about me?  Eek.

Edited by jnymph
  • Love 2

"Once again, I'm obsessing over Twisty.  What does that say about me?  Eek."

Dare I go so far as to say Twisty is my new tv boyfriend? The reactions to Dandy and mom were so cute and the robot arm motion cemented it. Nope. Definitely not scared of clowns here. Apparently, the more creepy and disgusting, the better.

• Love 2

That scene at the dinner table in the tent was very reminiscent of the clip from Freaks that someone posted last week. They were chanting something similiar gabble gobble, or whatever that was & then Jimmy screamed at them to shut up like the blonde lady did in the clip. I thought it was well done as a sort of tribute to the clip of last week.

Yep. As it played I started chanting "One of us! One of us!" The spouse was not amused.

• Love 1

Avaleigh: Crap. Now you've got me running off in a new direction. I had forgotten about the Mom's comment when he stormed off. She definitely knows he's off. She's given the audience insights with what little she says. I couldn't figure out why she'd give a creepy looking clown a ride in her car. What's stranger is that when she pulled up alongside him, I never thought "He's going to kill her." I knew she'd be safe, but I couldn't answer why I felt that way. 

For me it was her cartoonish innocence/obliviousness to any danger - like she's so far removed in her own little world that Twisty could never harm her. Of course he just rides quietly in the car with her so she can present him to her sociopathic son. I think Dandy is the only person who might represent any danger to Gloria.

For me it was her cartoonish innocence/obliviousness to any danger - like she's so far removed in her own little world that Twisty could never harm her. Of course he just rides quietly in the car with her so she can present him to her sociopathic son. I think Dandy is the only person who might represent any danger to Gloria.

She definitely is. She's in her own little bubble and gives the impression that no one would think to hurt her.

And the way she falls all over Dandy and his needs. Yuck.

Edited by Surrealist

Bigotry.  Simple Bigotry.   Why look any further when you have a freak you can pin it on....and maybe it will all go away.  Get those damn freaks out of town and the killing will stop.    This is 1952 when everyone and everything was segregated.   That scene in the dinner when Jimmy and the freaks came in was funny in all the wrong ways.   "If they got to know us they would find out we were like them.  No better no worse"  Paraphrasing _ I think.   But no...not in 1952.  

Yes Poor Meep.  He wasn't strong he was just weird.  I can relate.  

Actually I think that's why I am enjoying this season....I can relate.

I actually thought that scene was quite poignant. As a black woman it really bothered me, and made me think of all the "whites only" businesses during segregation. Black people were the "freaks" back then.

• Love 1
Guest Accused Dingo

I actually thought that scene was quite poignant. As a black woman it really bothered me, and made me think of all the "whites only" businesses during segregation. Black people were the "freaks" back then.

I used the term "funny" but I thnk "poignant" is better and what I meant. As a gay man Ryan Murphy speaks really well to the outsider experience. He will forever be associated with Glee but I associate him more with this. Glee is horror; American Horror Story is a work of art.

Edited by Accused Dingo
  • Love 2