Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E02: Massacres And Matinees

• Start Topic

It's a little strange that Pepper is the same character, but surely Elsa does not become Sister Jude and Jimmy does not become Kit Walker. 

And Pepper (after the aliens worked on her brain, that is) surely didn't ask Lana Winters, "Hey! What happened to your other head?"

• Love 2

All I could think was "Who follows a blood trail around a corner like that?" 

Meanwhile, I was thinking "What kind of blood trail remains consistently bloody instead of growing more and more faint?"

• Love 3

I'm actually thankful Twisty's mouth is mangled, because I don't think I could stand the thought of Norm Sonofa-Gunderson as a creepy, murderous clown. At least this way I can't see his real face.

• Love 2

I read a lot of comments about how people thought the mouth reveal would be even more shocking/disgusting and I'm just wondering how that could even be possible? How can that toothless, maggot infested black hole be made to be any more revolting or shocking?

If the work was done better, so that it looked less fake. Maybe I'm just accustomed to what the contestants on Face Off can do. In fairness, I doubt the AHS makeup crew gets as much time to prepare an actor as they could use this season.

I've read that her accent here for Ethel is supposed to be Baltimore. I've been to Baltimore a couple of times years ago, but don't remember hearing the accent. Maybe I'll check out some episodes of "The Wire" to see how it lines up, it is awfully strange sounding when she does it here.

I live in Maryland, and went to law school in Baltimore. And I've never heard anyone talk like that. I have no doubt that the accent exists in certain neighborhoods, but it's not the kind of thing you'll hear regularly as a visitor to the city - and it's usually not that thick.

• Love 2

Um, I've never set foot in a Hobby Lobby and don't plan to, but I'm guessing they've got retro Halloween decorations? I've seen similar items -- the real thing -- in antique stores.

Eh, these were the exact Hobby Lobby ones. Just weird to see, in my opinion, since it is a highly frequented place. It is a small nitpick like I said, but it bothers me regardless. The rest of all the sets are so well done and half the reason I watch the show, so it just bugs. I'm fine if I'm alone in this opinion. But, it does make me feel better if they're retro-inspired at least.

Edited by Betweenyouandme

I live in Maryland, and went to law school in Baltimore. And I've never heard anyone talk like that. I have no doubt that the accent exists in certain neighborhoods, but it's not the kind of thing you'll hear regularly as a visitor to the city - and it's usually not that thick.

I'm from Maryland too and I think she sounds like she's from Minnesota? Only real thing I hear people in Baltimore do is drop hard t's and pronounce it Balimore.

During "Criminal", the moshing made me think of "Smells Like Teen Spirit".  Quite a 90s moment there.

The moshing in the 1990's reminded me of the punk moshing of the 1970's . . ,

I knew Meep looked familiar.  Turns out the same actor played the Infantata in season 1.

Now THAT scared me.

• Love 1

Random thoughts in no particular order:

I felt for how Meep died. I didn't like his character and didn't feel much sympathy until he was being arrested. It was pretty clear from that moment on that he was akin to a child - so his last terrified screams were chilling. Very reminiscent of The Cook, The Thief, His Wife & Her Lover where Albert tortured the young soprano. 

Ahhh. Twisty and Dandy. I think we're looking at two halves of the same dark coin. I almost feel like they could be the same person... but that would be the cheap way out of this. I'm looking forward to seeing these two play off each other. I am worried though that these two teaming up could mean the end of Gloria (Dandy's mother). He could discard her easily and if he bonds with Twisty I see him having a weapon to point at folks. 

The pre-dinner scene went on just a tad longer than I'd like - Dandy was annoying (as intended) but it made me wonder: what the hell is going on inside his mother's head that she didn't throw that water glass at his head? I get the damage... but where the hell is her threshold?? I'm actually a little impressed... 

Dug the song Criminal and was pleased with Bette/Dot's version of it. The harmony was rather nice... though I wish Bette (Dot?) was more confident of her playing second to her sister. I thought the harmony was nice and was surprised it didn't seem so to her ear. I suppose that wouldn't create that tension between the two sisters... which I wish they wouldn't try to create. It just seems very odd for them to be so adversarial towards each other. 

At the moment I'm not digging the Dell character. Can we have a glimmer of depth or is he just a violent, ugly, one dimensional guy? His wife is slightly more appealing, if only for the sauciness of the character. I'm hoping next episode comes out with a little more fleshing out of each character. At the moment I don't find either too interesting. 

I'm pretty sure we saw Penny the candy-striper walking around wearing the same thing we last saw her in. It's driving me nuts because I know I saw her after the second half wandering around the carnival in the daylight and thought it odd that she was still in her bra and robe. 

JL, as always, brings it. 

I didn't really care that they killed Meep, partly because he bit the heads off of live things, but also because I didn't have time to really bond with him as a character. 

Lastly, Dandy is a fucking lunatic.

I feel the same way. Freak or not, Meep was killing live animals onstage. I can't drudge up enough sympathy for the character. Actually, I haven't taken to any of the characters yet. Kind of shameful how Elsa uses them to get fame for herself, even though she's a double-amputee and hides that from them.

I think that's the problem I'm having. I enjoy the show so far. I get the overall theme that Ryan Murphy is addressing, but the freaks aren't exactly the most sympathetic characters either. Maybe that's another point Murphy's trying to make. We shall see. I'm interested in seeing how this all unravels and if my opinion changes.

I hope that the young woman and boy escape or are rescued.

Dandy's giving me the Ed Gein vibe. He was a serial killer in 1950's Wisconsin. He and his mother had a weird relationship too. I believe that it was Gein who inspired Hitchcock to create Norman Bates.

Edited by Surrealist
  • Love 1

I'm pretty sure we saw Penny the candy-striper walking around wearing the same thing we last saw her in. It's driving me nuts because I know I saw her after the second half wandering around the carnival in the daylight and thought it odd that she was still in her bra and robe. .

Good catch, EC Amber - I saw that same woman wandering too & thought to myself she seemed rather out of place.

But unlike you, I didn't place her as the candy striper.........very interesting !

Edited by jnymph
  • Love 1

Random thoughts in no particular order:

I felt for how Meep died. I didn't like his character and didn't feel much sympathy until he was being arrested. It was pretty clear from that moment on that he was akin to a child - so his last terrified screams were chilling. Very reminiscent of The Cook, The Thief, His Wife & Her Lover where Albert tortured the young soprano. 

Ahhh. Twisty and Dandy. I think we're looking at two halves of the same dark coin. I almost feel like they could be the same person... but that would be the cheap way out of this. I'm looking forward to seeing these two play off each other. I am worried though that these two teaming up could mean the end of Gloria (Dandy's mother). He could discard her easily and if he bonds with Twisty I see him having a weapon to point at folks. 

The pre-dinner scene went on just a tad longer than I'd like - Dandy was annoying (as intended) but it made me wonder: what the hell is going on inside his mother's head that she didn't throw that water glass at his head? I get the damage... but where the hell is her threshold?? I'm actually a little impressed... 

Dug the song Criminal and was pleased with Bette/Dot's version of it. The harmony was rather nice... though I wish Bette (Dot?) was more confident of her playing second to her sister. I thought the harmony was nice and was surprised it didn't seem so to her ear. I suppose that wouldn't create that tension between the two sisters... which I wish they wouldn't try to create. It just seems very odd for them to be so adversarial towards each other. 

At the moment I'm not digging the Dell character. Can we have a glimmer of depth or is he just a violent, ugly, one dimensional guy? His wife is slightly more appealing, if only for the sauciness of the character. I'm hoping next episode comes out with a little more fleshing out of each character. At the moment I don't find either too interesting. 

I'm pretty sure we saw Penny the candy-striper walking around wearing the same thing we last saw her in. It's driving me nuts because I know I saw her after the second half wandering around the carnival in the daylight and thought it odd that she was still in her bra and robe. 

JL, as always, brings it. 

I am pretty sure I saw the candy-striper in the background also.  It was just a quick glimpse.

• Love 1

Dandy's giving me the Ed Gein vibe. He was a serial killer in 1950's Wisconsin. He and his mother had a weird relationship too. I believe that it was Gein who inspired Hitchcock to create Norman Bates.

Actually Gein was more of a grave robber than a serial killer.  But, yes Norman was based on him (book Psycho by Robert Bloch) as was Buffalo Bill in Silence of the Lambs and Leatherface in The Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

• Love 1
I will NOT be surprised if Dandy kills Twisty!

And then Dandy will become the new Twisty, taking the dirty costume, scalp wig, smiling mask, and Waterford crystal baby bottle to whole new levels of terror.

• Love 7

I will NOT be surprised if Dandy kills Twisty!

I think it is more likely that the opposite happens....that Twisty ends up killing Dandy because he thinks he's just too muc and ends him.  Twisty is an evil serial killer, but he seems to think that Dandy is a piece of work.  I also think that Twisty actually likes and feel protective of the woman and boy, so if Dandy does anything to actually hurt them, I think Twisty could end up killing Dandy as a result.  

• Love 5

At this point, I could almost see it going either way.

Dandy told his mom that he's bored out of his mind, so helping Twisty kill people will erase that boredom. Given his penchant for killing animals and possibly hurting women (that felt implied by his mother) these things point to Dandy being a sociopath, as where Twisty is a straight up a psychopath.

I'd lean toward Twisty getting sick of Dandy, but you never know.

Edited by Surrealist
  • Love 1
Dandy and his mother deserve their own show, they're hysterical. And she's more than a overprotective, spoiling mother, she's out of her mind too. I mean, the way she reacted when she saw Twisty? Even the clown couldn't believe it.

I laughed when Twisty bopped Dandy over the head, even he knew he had to get the hell out of that crazy house, he probably thought, "These people are fucked up, get me out of here."

I liked the scene between Dandy and Jimmy.  I think Dandy knows that something is wrong with him but because he's wealthy and looks normal, nobody pays attention.  He even told Jimmy, "I'm just like you on the inside."  Comparing his insides to their outsides indeed.  

And maybe that's the point of this season, who is really a freak?  

• Love 3
Dandy told his mom that he's bored out of his mind, so helping Twisty kill people will erase that boredom. Given his penchant for killing animals and possibly hurting women (that felt implied by his mother) these things point to Dandy being a sociopath, as where Twisty is a straight up a psychopath.

Surrealist, your post got me thinking.

Okay, Dandy told his mom that he's bored out of his mind and she ended up having a mini freak out when he got all agitated and stormed out of the house. She said something about how he sometimes does things when he goes out by himself and that they were lucky she was connected with someone in law enforcement because of something Dandy had done awhile back. IMO she totally thought that Dandy was in one of his moods and was going to possibly kill a person.

I think she brought Twisty over for Dandy to take out his boredom and aggression. She says to Dandy that he can do "anything" he wants with Twisty. She thinks Twisty is perfect because who would miss him? I don't think that she necessarily knows that Twisty is a psychopathic serial killer and I also can't explain what made her think it would be safe for her to bring Twisty into her car and home but on second viewing I honestly think that she brought Twisty to the house so that Dandy could murder him and think she felt that maybe this would be enough to keep Dandy's cravings satisfied for awhile.

Furthermore, I think that there would have been a similar plan to have Dandy take out his boredom on Bette and Dot. It was bad enough that they were discussing buying and selling people and I was surprised that nobody bothered to wonder aloud just why Dandy and his mother would want to buy some conjoined twins from a freakshow who are currently suspects for murder. Alarm bells should have been ringing but the discussion about money and loyalty between fellow outcasts seemed to keep anyone from taking a moment to think about what's really going on with Dandy and his mother.

It makes me wonder if they'll try to purchase any other people they see as "freaks" further in the season.

Edited by Avaleigh
  • Love 3

I laughed when Twisty bopped Dandy over the head, even he knew he had to get the hell out of that crazy house, he probably thought, "These people are fucked up, get me out of here."

I liked the scene between Dandy and Jimmy.  I think Dandy knows that something is wrong with him but because he's wealthy and looks normal, nobody pays attention.  He even told Jimmy, "I'm just like you on the inside."  Comparing his insides to their outsides indeed.  

And maybe that's the point of this season, who is really a freak?  

When the psychopath thinks the sociopath is too out there, then you know there's a genuine problem.  ;)

I agree about the scene between Dandy and Jimmy. He felt rejected when the freaks wouldn't accept him into the show. I liked the comparison because it is spot on.

You hit the nail on the head about what's bugging me about the characters and not being able to sympathize with any of them . . . yet. They're all freaks and horrible in their own ways, but we're supposed to feel sympathy for some and perhaps, not the others.

I can't wait to see how the rest of this season unfolds. I want to know more about Elsa too. I'm on the fence about her because she's freakish like the rest, but hides it, and exploits their freakishness.

Avaleigh: Crap. Now you've got me running off in a new direction. I had forgotten about the Mom's comment when he stormed off. She definitely knows he's off. She's given the audience insights with what little she says. I couldn't figure out why she'd give a creepy looking clown a ride in her car. What's stranger is that when she pulled up alongside him, I never thought "He's going to kill her." I knew she'd be safe, but I couldn't answer why I felt that way. My aunt has a theory that Twisty only kills men and ones he feels are authority figures. She believes it has something to do with what happened to him as a kid. Maybe.

That said your post is making me rethink a couple of things.

Edited by Surrealist
  • Love 6
When the psychopath thinks the sociopath is too out there, then you know there's a genuine problem.  ;)

This is one of the reasons I'm pretty convinced that Dandy will end up killing Twisty. If Dandy is giving someone like Twisty the chills then Dandy is definitely bad news and is probably even worse than Twisty underneath the boyish exterior.

The only thing that doesn't really make sense to me is why Twisty wouldn't kill Dandy after Dandy started getting extra rude with him. How was the guy at the picnic somehow more offensive than Dandy? The guy in the toy store? The parents of the boy he kidnapped? I'm not convinced that Twisty is simply killing people who aren't interested in seeing him perform. For the most part he doesn't seem to give people a chance to react one way or the other before he decides to begin killing or kidnapping them. What makes Dandy so special? I don't think it was fear because Twisty doesn't hesitate before knocking Dandy out and after that he could have done pretty much whatever he wanted with him. For whatever reason he chose not to and it's hard to imagine why.

Whatever else, I'm convinced Dandy will end up being turned into a freak like the movie. They already mirrored the dinner scene and Dandy just wants it so bad.

Definitely. With Jimmy likely doing most of the work at transforming him.

I'd like to get more of the backstory of Dandy and Gloria. Was he always like this? Was he abused? What sort of person was his father? (I'm assuming there are no siblings.) How do they make their money? Has Gloria always been completely crazy or has the madness grown over time from caring for someone like Dandy and spending the majority of her time interacting with a person like him? 

ETA

My aunt has a theory that Twisty only kills men and ones he feels are authority figures. She believes it has something to do with what happened to him as a kid. Maybe.

Twisty killed the mom of that boy he kidnapped. 

I still haven't figured out what makes him pick and choose his victims.

Edited by Avaleigh
  • Love 1

Twisty killed the mom of that boy he kidnapped. 

I still haven't figured out what makes him pick and choose his victims.

Yeah. Perhaps Dandy is a psychopath. It's difficult for me to say, until we get more of his backstory. I kind of wonder if Gloria is kind of a Dandy-type character too. Again, we'll need more backstory, but she's definitely weird and creepy. I wonder if Twisty is both amused and creeped out by Gloria and Dandy. I think if I were a serial killer, they'd scare the crap out of me. Maybe we're being set up in the sense that Gloria and Dandy will be the most evil characters out of all of them.

I'm assuming that there are parallels in the childhood backstories of Twisty and Dandy and they sense that about one another, which is why the former didn't kill the latter.

As far as how Twisty chooses his victims, I have no idea. I keep looking for patterns and so far, I'm not seeing any. You're right that Twisty killed the boy's mother. Most of his kills are of men, but I'm not sure that means much of anything.

Edited by Surrealist
  • Love 1

Hmm, if Gloria knows that Dandy is disturbed and headed towards serial killer territory, and the theory that they went to that first show in order to pick up a victim for him is correct--wouldn't that explain why they bought out the entire show? Initially I thought it was about them not wanting to mix with the hoi polloi but now I wonder if it was about not wanting to have any witnesses around (apart from the "freaks" in the show whose opinions won't matter/be believed) to see their purchase of their would be victim. 

• Love 2

Whatever else, I'm convinced Dandy will end up being turned into a freak like the movie. They already mirrored the dinner scene and Dandy just wants it so bad.

That's what I've been assuming, too - based on that scene where Dandy is told he isn't freakish-looking enough for the freak show, and he's so bitter about it. It sure looks like they're setting him up to get what he asked for.

I suspect the movie Freaks may be a clue as to Del's fate, too. In the director's cut, the final scene involves

the evil strongman singing soprano, implying that the freaks got their revenge on him by castrating him. Can't you just see a conclusion to Del's storyline where his wife has both kinds of genitalia, and he has none?

Edited by Blakeston
  • Love 4

I am loving this season. I found previous seasons to be all over the place and too frantic. I like the slower pace.

I am with others that Dandy is my favorite, although I think Finn Wittrock looks a little too old for that character.

I think he is intentionally styled to be just a tiny bit too old. We're supposed to see it, they don't really want us sympathizing with him.

You know, if this is one big rip off of the movie "Freaks" I'm calling foul. I get a playful nod to the movie - but if they start lifting blatantly from the story line then maybe it's time to get a new showrunner...?

• Love 1

Continuing the synergy with other seasons; Considering the time frame could Dandy somehow be Dr. Thredson?

I thought Thredson had also been abandoned by his mother and that's one of the reasons his sick ass tried to turn Lana into his "Mommy" and why would pretend to nurse from her and stuff. Plus, Thredson went to med school and Dandy hasn't been shown having any interest in that direction. He should already be on the road to becoming a doctor but he doesn't seem headed in that direction.

• Love 1
That's what I've been assuming, too - based on that scene where Dandy is told he isn't freakish-looking enough for the freak show, and he's so bitter about it. It sure looks like they're setting him up to get what he asked for.

Perhaps his more than a little off, extra accommodating mama will make sure he gets into the show. Perhaps, she thought Twisty could speed that along? She might have to do it herself at his request and sees it as her ticket to freedom. Maybe she thinks he belongs with the freaks?

Guest Accused Dingo

This is just a guess but I think Dandy is there for a compare and contrast.  Who is a bigger freak Dandy or Jimmy.? The pretty rich boy who is a psychopath or the deformed defacto leader of the freak show?   In the end which one is more dangerous?  The one who will kill to protect the people he loves... or the one who kills because he is bored?  

Hmm, if Gloria knows that Dandy is disturbed and headed towards serial killer territory, and the theory that they went to that first show in order to pick up a victim for him is correct--wouldn't that explain why they bought out the entire show?

I don't think she knows....or "actively" knows.  I think she is willfully blind to what her son is.  She has infantized him and I am not sure she is seeing the warning signs.   She got her son the clown because she wants to make her son happy but she is unaware of what actually makes Dandy happy.  

Edited by Accused Dingo
  • Love 2
She got her son the clown because she wants to make her son happy but she is unaware of what actually makes Dandy happy.

I don't know, I think she has a pretty good handle on her son's taste--he seemed excited by the gift of Twisty acted like he thought he'd be amusing. At this point I think she's somewhat aware of what Dandy is capable of but is under the mistaken impression that she can still contain it or at least keep his more disturbing tendencies on a leash. When Dandy said that he'd told her a hundred times that he had nothing to do with whatever happened to that girl who got him into a spot of trouble that Gloria was able to get him out of because of her connections--I thought it was apparent that she didn't just let the incident go and continued to prod him about it. She has her suspicions I just don't think she's personally seen what he's capable of yet. I have a feeling that'll change though. It'll be interesting to see her reaction if she actually catches him in the act of doing something horrific. I can still see her covering for him in the end but I don't know if their relationship would necessarily be the same after something like that.

The only thing that doesn't really make sense to me is why Twisty wouldn't kill Dandy after Dandy started getting extra rude with him. How was the guy at the picnic somehow more offensive than Dandy? The guy in the toy store? The parents of the boy he kidnapped? I'm not convinced that Twisty is simply killing people who aren't interested in seeing him perform. For the most part he doesn't seem to give people a chance to react one way or the other before he decides to begin killing or kidnapping them. What makes Dandy so special? I don't think it was fear because Twisty doesn't hesitate before knocking Dandy out and after that he could have done pretty much whatever he wanted with him. For whatever reason he chose not to and it's hard to imagine why.

I think Twisty was thinking, "Puppet show, ain't nobody got time for this mess, I have people in a cage who need their entertainment, and this head isn't going to deliver itself. I'm outta here."

• Love 3
Perhaps his more than a little off, extra accommodating mama will make sure he gets into the show.

I see it now...Elsa's dead and Mama!Dandy takes over the Freak Show to let her son be the star.

At this point I think she's somewhat aware of what Dandy is capable of but is under the mistaken impression that she can still contain it or at least keep his more disturbing tendencies on a leash. When Dandy said that he'd told her a hundred times that he had nothing to do with whatever happened to that girl who got him into a spot of trouble that Gloria was able to get him out of because of her connections--I thought it was apparent that she didn't just let the incident go and continued to prod him about it. She has her suspicions I just don't think she's personally seen what he's capable of yet.

Yes, she knew the missing cat was him (and it wasn't the first animal, either, from what the housekeeper said), and when she didn't know where he was, she said something about how something horrible always happens when he's gone off. I think at least some of her ridiculous plans to keep him "entertained" are not so much about infantilizing him (though they have that effect) but keeping him too occupied to do terrible things.

Re: Kathy Bates's accent, I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that she's doing what a Baltimore accent sounded like back then. The accent was much thicker than it is now.

You know, if this is one big rip off of the movie "Freaks" I'm calling foul. I get a playful nod to the movie - but if they start lifting blatantly from the story line then maybe it's time to get a new showrunner...?

I agree I would be pissed to if this was Freaks the reimagination but to me it doesn't seem to be going in that direction.  I mean the sitting around the table singing kill the cop is straight up out of Freaks but there are so many different story lines that veer off from the movie that I think Ryan Murphy is simply paying homage to it instead of ripping it off. 

I agree with previous posters that Jessica Lange's character seems so similar to her other AHS characters.  It seems almost identical to Coven.  Maybe not so much as in Haunted House and Asylum but come on she is such a talented actress, give her something else to do than just be jealous of younger stars. 

And on a side note:  I wish the freaks were given something more to do than just simply react to Jimmy's actions.  I am really enjoying seeing Paul the Seal boy and Amazon Eve (lurve Erika Ervin) on my screen but dang if they don't really do anything.  It's like they're just sittin' around waiting to be killed =(

• Love 1

I'd like to get more of the backstory of Dandy and Gloria. Was he always like this? Was he abused? What sort of person was his father? (I'm assuming there are no siblings.) How do they make their money? Has Gloria always been completely crazy or has the madness grown over time from caring for someone like Dandy and spending the majority of her time interacting with a person like him? 

You know who that pair remind me of?? Mason Verger and his sister from Hannibal ( TV show) and also the movie version. Just that creepy idle rich type that have nothing but time and money to feed their idiosyncrasies and shared madness.

I am very interested in where these two end up and I LOVE Frances Conroy since back in the SFU days. :)