Type keyword(s) to search

Holiday and Seasonal Commercials

• Start Topic

On 11/23/2016 at 5:54 PM, smittykins said:

I can pretty much guarantee that no child ever has gotten excited about finding a toothbrush in his/her stocking, even a fancy-schmancy Spinbrush.

You would be wrong. My daughter got so excited when she got a spin brush in her stocking when she was little that she wanted to stop opening presents to go brush her teeth. 

So there is a new ad that's a crossover between Visa and Starbucks.  The barista calls out "Santa?" and Santa shows up to pick up his coffee, and a little girl asks her mother, "I thought Santa only drank milk."  But what caught my ear was that the barista keeps telling the people picking up their drinks, "Happy Holidays!"  Are they intentionally trying to piss off the hard right wing?

• Love 1

Moose and legal eagle, I think there were onions on my left over pizza, too. (from previous page) 

Edited again, because I don't particularly care if the hard right wing gets annoyed, there is more than one religion with holidays at this time of year, so maybe the barista is being inclusive instead of exclusive.

Edited by friendperidot
  • Love 6

Frankenstein's monster was taking a big ol' gamble on the spirit of Christmas just showing up like that in the middle of their celebration.  Generally he would be run out of town on the back end of a pitchfork.

And seriously screwing Christmas lights into your bolts is just creepy.  And where was the good doctor?  He just lets the monster order willy-nilly off the internet and wander unaccompanied into town?

• Love 3

Add me to the toothbrush in the stocking folks. We got a new one in our stocking each year growing up (not that we didn't get them during the year too). My sister & I both have done the same with our kids. It's A family tradition along with new nail files in the stockings each year. 

I saw an ad today for "Friendsgiving". What the frell is that? Is thanks a banned word now or is that something that kids say & I'm too unhip to know. 

• Love 1

My understanding is "Friendsgiving" is when friends get together for Thanksgiving. But I still think it's a silly term. Thanksgiving doesn't mean "family" exclusively. The idea is you're thankful for the blessings in your life. That can incorporate family and/or friends. So it bugs because it's a little too hipster for me. 

• Love 11

Yeah, Friendsgiving is a newer thing, I hope it goes away soon. it was just the idea that when a bunch of young people who have move to a big city, can't go home to their families at thanksgiving, they all get together and cook for each other.  But they are too hip to call it regular old thanksgiving, because that has the connotation of grandma and old-fashioned stuff.  It might incorporate vegan and ethnic dishes.  It's  even evolved, according to my kids, to be an "additional" celebration for young people who ARE going to their family thanksgiving dinner.   They have "friendsgiving" a day or two before or after. 

Honestly, though, it's exactly the same as thanksgiving, and exactly the same as college/grad school/professional school students, and working people have been doing for decades. 

• Love 11
1 hour ago, ramble said:

I saw an ad today for "Friendsgiving". What the frell is that? Is thanks a banned word now or is that something that kids say & I'm too unhip to know. 

I'm no expert on what I assume here is largely marketing lexicon, and it probably means different things in different circles, but my experience with that phrase was roughly:

• Peeps go home for Thanksgiving and see family (Thursday) and obligatory Thanksigiving thing.
  • Friday are still "home" and get together for second Thanksgiving dinner, just with friends (who were also in town because of Thursday) and basically everyone helps get rid of everyone else's excess leftovers, and gets all the friend-group-from-town-in-which-they-no-longer-live together to do their own meal the next day.
  • Love 4

Thanks y'all for the info about friendsgiving. My sister has been doing that for years but simply calls it Thanksgiving with friends. One of my best friends does it too without any name. I feel old since that rubbed me the wrong way so strongly. (Obligatory "get off my lawn" yell.)

• Love 3

Personally, I find it entirely reasonable to be vexed by marketing verbiage being forced upon ye. (even if in this case it maybe is convenient to have one term to smash together that concept, it didn't reallllllly need to be a proper noun either).

• Love 2

Ehh, the friendsgiving didn't bother me. While I'm not the hipster demographic they may or may not be going for, as someone who is repeatedly reminded by many people in passive aggressive ways that spending it with my friends on the holiday every year isn't a "real thanksgiving", I appreciate it. 

• Love 7

I don't care for the Frankenstein's monster commercial either.  I know it's supposed to be touching but I find it creepy.  It's weird that he doesn't look like the traditional Frankenstein's monster... the first time I saw this commercial I came in midway through and only saw him start to sing.  Was confused about the glowing lights around his head.  I actually thought he was Ebenezer Scrooge, he looks more like a traditional Scrooge.  The worst part of it all is that I can't even remember what it is advertising.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, blackwing said:

I don't care for the Frankenstein's monster commercial either.  I know it's supposed to be touching but I find it creepy.  It's weird that he doesn't look like the traditional Frankenstein's monster... the first time I saw this commercial I came in midway through and only saw him start to sing.  Was confused about the glowing lights around his head.  I actually thought he was Ebenezer Scrooge, he looks more like a traditional Scrooge.  The worst part of it all is that I can't even remember what it is advertising.

Apple.

It's Apple's homage to inclusiveness around the holidays.  I get that, but yes, it's kind of stilted and creepy.  And the little girl has a Brit accent, but the other people don't seem to.  And of course there is a generous mix of races.  At first viewing, I thought: "Hey, they're bringing back Bennetton ads!"

• Love 3

I really like the series of commercials where people are having holiday troubles, being watched by Christmas elves. The elves spring into action to help, only for a family member/friend/stranger to help out instead. Its cheesy, but its Christmas, the time where cheesy feel good stuff is expected and appreciated. 

• Love 5
On 11/29/2016 at 0:34 PM, blackwing said:

He definitely looked like the Universal classic Frankenstein's Monster, at least I was easily able to make that connection - and there was nothing prior to where you say you came in that should have made it obvious, up to that point he's just playing a music box (the one that he replays from his phone while he's singing), singing under his breath while sitting in a chair, and you don't even see his face until he gets to the tree iirc.

• Love 1
On ‎11‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 1:00 PM, InDueTime said:

Agreed. Say what you will about the Target Two-day Sale lady ( I personally thought she was funny.), she was nowhere near as annoying as the pogo guy and the elf woman.

Oh, god, that horrible elf woman!!!!!  No, I won't accept your dancing in lieu of cash or credit, bitch.

Edited to note that I hate the current Target Christmas commercials with the annoying kid even more than I did the Marshmallow World ones from last year.  In fact, I almost miss the Marshmallow World ones.  Almost.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 2
6 minutes ago, PradaKitty said:

Arrrggh!! I HATE that Kmart elf and her smarmy squeaky voice!  Listen up Squeaky, you either pay for the stuff or leave. No one wants your crap s move on....

I feel the same way about that stupid Sparkle paper towel fairy.

• Love 5

Garth Brooks and Trisha Yearwood have a new Christmas album, and "Marshmallow World" is one of the songs on the album.  My mother was disappointed, because it doesn't have any standards on it.

Edited by Silver Raven
6 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

Garth Brooks and Trisha Yearwood have a new Christmas album, and "Marshmallow World" is one of the songs on the album.  My mother was disappointed, because it doesn't have any standards on it.

The commercial for their cd is cute.  I especially like when she tells him he has to mow the lawn after singing Baby it's Cold Outside.

Oops, I just remembered the commercial is for Alexa, not their cd.

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 2
On Wednesday, November 30, 2016 at 11:53 AM, tennisgurl said:

I really like the series of commercials where people are having holiday troubles, being watched by Christmas elves. The elves spring into action to help, only for a family member/friend/stranger to help out instead. Its cheesy, but its Christmas, the time where cheesy feel good stuff is expected and appreciated. 

Me too.  These Kohl's ads are much better than last year's.

The Pizza Hut snowman annoys me.

Why would you go into the kitchen where they bake the pizzas IN THE HOT OVENS in the first place, dumbass? Also, your stick mouth creeps me out.

• Love 6
9 hours ago, GaT said:

Here is a commercial from Poland, it made me weep. 

Super sweet!  Loved the word cat marked out and mouse put in place near the computer mouse.  It's easy to forget how difficult English can be when one word has so many different meanings.

On 11/28/2016 at 3:09 PM, ramble said:

Thanks y'all for the info about friendsgiving. My sister has been doing that for years but simply calls it Thanksgiving with friends. One of my best friends does it too without any name. I feel old since that rubbed me the wrong way so strongly. (Obligatory "get off my lawn" yell.)

I too find it odd that you have to give these social events names.  Why not just dinner with friends.  What if you have Thanksgiving with family AND friends--at the same time?! Oh the humanity! 

• Love 2

I love the "dog" post-it stuck to the dog's head, and the dog brushing it off.  And the man watching an American movie, then repeating "I'm going to fucking kill you" to his rubber ducky in the bathtub (followed by "I love you, you are perfect.")

• Love 8
41 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I love the "dog" post-it stuck to the dog's head, and the dog brushing it off.  And the man watching an American movie, then repeating "I'm going to fucking kill you" to his rubber ducky in the bathtub (followed by "I love you, you are perfect.")

I loved that too. Can't wait to show it to hubby when he gets home from work. His dad was Czech and he died last week. Grandma used to talk just like that.

• Love 5