Type keyword(s) to search

Holiday and Seasonal Commercials

• Start Topic

Tony and Gaga are best friends.

Yeah... definitely seems like it anyway. In fact, whenever it happens, Tony's singing at Gaga's wedding to Chicago Fire actor Taylor Kinney--that was the first detail/1 of the first details they settled, as far as their wedding arrangements are concerned, after they got engaged. Also, on the recent Sinatra 100 special The Grammys aired on CBS, when Gaga tossed the fedora she wore into the audience during her show finale performance of New York, New York, she tossed it to Tony--or he caught it, anyway (& I don't think it was an accident that *he* caught it).

• Love 1

One of my friends apparently got his wife a new car for Christmas.    When I saw the pic on Facebook I thought of 2 things:  this thread and I hope she was involved in the decision.   Yes it had a bow on it.   I've known the guy since kindegarten and I taught him well, so I am pretty sure he had his wife pick out the car.

• Love 1

One of my friends apparently got his wife a new car for Christmas.    When I saw the pic on Facebook I thought of 2 things:  this thread and I hope she was involved in the decision.   Yes it had a bow on it.   I've known the guy since kindegarten and I taught him well, so I am pretty sure he had his wife pick out the car.

Please let us know--need to know end of story. More details, please.

• Love 3

The car for Christmas commercials annoy me as well.

I am sure it happens, but it's not as often as you see on all these commercials.

I would hope no one would be a luxury car without their spouse knowing unless they are just super rich, like multimillionaires.

• Love 3

There are companies that make the bows - just google "giant car bow".

Heck, you can find anything if you google it. I have a hypothesis that the act of googling will create whatever it is you look for if it didn't exist previously. For example, i just googled "heavy duty rubber jock strap" (the most ridiculous thing I could think of on the spur of the moment), and not only did I get hits, I discovered that I can buy heavy duty rubber jock straps with the U.S. Army or Navy logo on them. I find it comforting that our armed forces' strippers will have heavy duty support when called to serve on the front lines.

• Love 5

RE: New car ads. 18 years ago my husband and I bought our first house together. I owned a house that hadn't sold, but after we settled on our house it did, and in December I found myself with $40K burning a hole in my pocket. We had 1 car - all we needed as my husband took public transit to work, and I had a fairly new car. For a very brief millisecond I had a fantasy of surprising him with a new BMW on Christmas. Common sense prevailed, but it was a fun thought.

• Love 3

I've seen a Hallmark ornament commercial with a perfectionist mother.  She's letting the kids decorate the tree but when they're not looking, she rearranging the ornaments.  And she's giving suggestions on ornament placement.  I had perfectionist parents so part of me hates this commercial. But it's a mixed race marriage and the kids actually look like they're mixed race, so part of me likes the commercial.

• Love 3

Why?

Because she's an uber rich self-aggrandizing douchebag, for one thing. I just can't stand her. She's got personal chefs and trainers and she's still, what I consider, pretty overweight. Joining Weight Watchers isn't going to make her drop the pounds if those other resources she has haven't helped.

I'm not fat shaming her. I'm no skinny mini myself.

I just think she's an insincere loud mouth who's only in it for the money.

• Love 3

Well, since she now owns 10% of the company, she has a vested interest in seeing it succeed. I'm a lifetime member of WW, and am on maintenance, so I just weigh in once a month. I rarely stay for the meetings. I haven't gotten the in-meeting scoop on the "new" WW, but I'm skeptical. I know what works for me, and hope they didn't ruin a good program. For now I'm sticking with the old tried and true that got me where I want to be. I don't care for Oprah either - so tired of seeing her photo-shopped self on the front of her magazine every month when I'm in the check-out line.

• Love 3

Jeff Foxworthy is encouraging all the menfolk to give the ladies a gift certificate to Golden Corral for Valentine's Day. My husband told me that he assumes that giving me a gift certificate to Golden Corral is actually shorthand for "please take me to divorce court."

Edited by St. Claire
  • Love 7

I saw a local ad today, can't remember what for, where they were touting President's Day Weekend sales.  I guess they get more that way than talking about Valentine's Day.  Even though they were advertising heart-shaped jewelry.

Nothing says 'Merica more than shilling tacky overpriced jewelry.

• Love 1

Have you all seen the giant teddy bear?  Holy shit, if my boyfriend got me one of those I'd question his sanity.

It makes more sense when you consider how it'd be accessorized, but the company doesn't make adult "toys" and can't get that explicit in a TV ad.

OK, I concede that I'd rather have the Golden Corral gift card than the Vermont Teddy Bear. But either one (or an open butt necklace) is reason for me to question whether my husband has sustained a head injury that impaired his judgement; this year (as we have for the past couple Valentine's Days) we have reservations at our local ale house, which has an excellent chef as well as an outstanding brewer. 

• Love 4

Is that Golden Corral commercial the one touting "all you can eat" prime rib?  Is prime rib something one sits down to eat a shit ton of?  It's bizarre. 

Between a Golden Corral gift card and a giant teddy bear, I guess I'd rather have the gift certificate because that can easier be donated to someone who will enjoy it.  But I sure as hell won't be eating there.  I don't even know that there is one in my area (I've never driven by one), but years worth of ads for it have led me to believe I want no part of it.  The food actually looks gross in the commercials half the time, and even where it looks edible it's offered at a price that makes clear they are not sourcing quality ingredients, even accounting for mark-up and volume discount.  Blech.

• Love 2

Chocolatiers are missing a big marketing opportunity by not advertising post-Valentine Day sales for those who don't buy into manufactured holidays.

The day after is when I buy all my valentine chocolate.  And pretty much when I eat it, too.

• Love 8

Ellen did a take on the giant teddy bear commercial.  In it the wife and bear get a little too cozy then plot to have the husband framed for murder.

Honestly, does any man think it's cute to give a grown woman a giant stuffed animal as a Valentines gift?

• Love 1