Type keyword(s) to search

Holiday and Seasonal Commercials

• Start Topic

So I'm going through early menopause and am just starting on estrogen and progesterone and also my only son, my angel baby, the light of my life, graduated this past June so that has to explain why I am not only loving every single back to school ad that I see but they are also making me weepy.

• Love 3
On 4/22/2016 at 10:10 AM, Jamoche said:

A little context for the non-Polish speakers?

Yeah, I speak and read a little Polish, but I still don't get the original poster's point any more than you do. It's basically announcing the services of a Polish advertising agency (AimArt) explaining why its television ads, and television ads in general, are an effective means of promoting one's goods and services.  It includes three commercials that it has produced for clients as samples of its work.

On ‎08‎/‎02‎/‎2016 at 0:45 PM, InDueTime said:

After watching the Staples "Back to School" ads, I'm guessing just constantly buying your kids supplies is easier than telling them to look after their things.

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/Ayfl/staples-water-bottles

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/AyfO/staples-back-for-more

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/Ay5D/staples-binder-ramp

I miss the Staples Back to School which featured the man joyously collecting school supplies in Staples followed by the children who looked like they were going to their executions, all set to "It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year".  Sooo much better than these.  Although I do like the bit where the Staples employee says about getting more supplies for next week and looks directly at the kid, who looks like he wants to die.

• Love 13
23 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I was watching TV a few days ago (08/26) and saw a Christmas commercial from WalMart. August 26th. Christmas. Kill me now.

And pumpkin spice creamer is back according to the International Delight commercial.

• Love 2
22 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I miss the Staples Back to School which featured the man joyously collecting school supplies in Staples followed by the children who looked like they were going to their executions, all set to "It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year". 

I've always loved that one, and wish they would bring it back!

• Love 3

Haven't seen any holiday ads yet, unless Home Depot's Labor Day Sale counts.  One of Anthony Bourdain's recent shows was in Manila, where everyone starts celebrating Christmas on September 1 -- really celebrating.  The stores are full of Christmas merchandise, people wear holiday apparel, etc.  On September 1!

I hate the Christmas ads where a car is presented as a gift, complete with a big red bow. 

On 8/30/2016 at 6:03 AM, Haleth said:

And pumpkin spice creamer is back according to the International Delight commercial.

16 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

But that's only TWO months away, not FOUR.  hahahaha.

That's because Halloween isn't Christmas.

• Love 1

So I'm going through early menopause and am just starting on estrogen and progesterone and also my only son, my angel baby, the light of my life, graduated this past June so that has to explain why I am not only loving every single back to school ad that I see but they are also making me weepy.

I miss the Staples Back to School which featured the man joyously collecting school supplies in Staples followed by the children who looked like they were going to their executions, all set to "It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year".

mojoween, that's the Staples ad you need to watch! That's the Staples ad we all need to watch!

Last week, I saw an ad for Christmas tree lights, now I've seen it several times and ones for some light you put outside and it lights up your house in Christmas or stars or some other c**p. It's not Labor Day, yet! It wasn't my birthday yet when I started seeing those. I have a late August birthday, so I really don't want to see ads for Christmas before my birthday.

• Love 1

Last week, I saw an ad for Christmas tree lights, now I've seen it several times and ones for some light you put outside and it lights up your house in Christmas or stars or some other c**p. It's not Labor Day, yet! It wasn't my birthday yet when I started seeing those. I have a late August birthday, so I really don't want to see ads for Christmas before my birthday.

Yeah, that one about the outdoor light is the WalMart ad I saw on 08/26.

• Love 2
On 8/29/2016 at 10:00 AM, proserpina65 said:

I miss the Staples Back to School which featured the man joyously collecting school supplies in Staples followed by the children who looked like they were going to their executions, all set to "It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year".  Sooo much better than these.  Although I do like the bit where the Staples employee says about getting more supplies for next week and looks directly at the kid, who looks like he wants to die.

You mean this one?   Or last year's remake? 

• Love 3

I don't really mind stores that offer lay-away to advertise that because for families on a budget, it can help them afford Christmas for their kids. And as a crafty person and a seamstress, I don't really mind the products in some stores. When I used to go to Hobby Lobby, I liked to look in their Christmas decorations for things for my doll house rooms, some ornaments make great accessories and they had a miniature trim-a-tree section that I liked to buy from.

• Love 1
On Monday, August 29, 2016 at 10:00 AM, proserpina65 said:

I miss the one with Alice Cooper helping some young kid (his granddaughter maybe?) shop for her back to school supplies.

• Love 3
On Monday, August 29, 2016 at 7:54 AM, Prevailing Wind said:

I was watching TV a few days ago (08/26) and saw a Christmas commercial from WalMart. August 26th. Christmas. Kill me now.

I saw Deal Dash advertising for Christmas all the way back in mid-July.

Now the Merci chocolate ads are running.  At this rate, I almost expect the Glade "Peace on Earth" candles to show up before September ends.

• Love 1

Those Merci ads make me contemplate the etiquette of chocolate gratitude.  Like, how many thanks does one Merci cover?  Mowing the lawn, fixing a leaky pipe...  What is the two-Merci threshold?  Teaching me to read, helping me quit heroin?  There has to be an Absolute Merci Limit at which point the number of Mercis approaches infinity, but remains inadequate for expressing how grateful you are.  Then ya gotta break down and get someone the $25 Sonic Gift Card.

Maybe one Merci represents infinite gratitude: one box is as good as a hundred.  Whether you deliver my mail or lend me your womb so I can be a parent, you're getting a single Merci.

ETA: "...In other news today, the country of Sierra Leone sent the United States a Merci box for our assistance in combating their Ebola outbreak..."

Edited by erikdepressant
  • Love 11
On September 12, 2016 at 7:01 PM, Trini said:

Craaaaap. The PartyCity halloween ads have started. Haven't seen "Thriller" yet, though.

Saw it, and it looks sharper, like they may have redone it... so they'll get even more years out of it :(

On Oct. 1, I saw Rent-A-Center's official Christmas ad that morning. Complete with "We Wish You a Merry Christmas" in the background.  It's kind of jarring when you've just began seeing people put up pumpkins and witches outside. (This comes from someone who celebrates/enjoys Christmas more than Halloween.)

On this Walmart ad, this kid looks like he's being greedy at first, but it ends on a nice note.  I just wish they picked another song.

• Love 1
On 10/7/2016 at 8:00 AM, InDueTime said:

On Oct. 1, I saw Rent-A-Center's official Christmas ad that morning. Complete with "We Wish You a Merry Christmas" in the background.  It's kind of jarring when you've just began seeing people put up pumpkins and witches outside. (This comes from someone who celebrates/enjoys Christmas more than Halloween.)

I just came to ask if it's Christmas time already.  I just saw a "j'adore" ad.

• Love 2
17 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

I just came to ask if it's Christmas time already.  I just saw a "j'adore" ad.

And it's finally a NEW J'adore ad! For that reason I wondered if it was a new version of the perfume (e.g. "J'adore Myself" or something).

• Love 1
12 hours ago, InDueTime said:

This morning, the Hershey's Kiss bells made their annual appearance.

I saw that last night for the first time.  I've accepted that Thanksgiving is overlooked but to hell with waiting til after Halloween huh? 

• Love 6

Just saw it a couple times too.  Usually they wait long enough so that it's exciting when it does show up (it's not Christmas until the Hershey bells) but the middle of October?  Boo, Hersheys, boo.

• Love 6
7 hours ago, mmecorday said:

It is WAY too early for the Hershey Kisses bells! Good heavens, can't we just enjoy the current season before moving on to the next? 

Gotta make that Christmas money.  

The neighborhood favored "we hang your outside Christmas lights for money" guys were out working this weekend. Seriously. Christmas lights were going up. Sigh. At least my neighbors haven't started turning them on yet. I'm crossing my fingers we can at least pass the Halloween threshold. 

On 10/24/2016 at 0:27 AM, legaleagle53 said:

Maybe it's just their way of trying to speed up this interminable election cycle.  If we all pretend that it's already the Christmas season, maybe it will make the next 17 days until Election Day go by that much faster.

It's not helping.

• Love 2