Type keyword(s) to search

Holiday and Seasonal Commercials

• Start Topic

On 10/24/2016 at 4:47 AM, ramble said:

The neighborhood favored "we hang your outside Christmas lights for money" guys were out working this weekend. Seriously. Christmas lights were going up. Sigh. At least my neighbors haven't started turning them on yet. I'm crossing my fingers we can at least pass the Halloween threshold. 

I saw my first Christmas lights on Thursday, as I drove home. On. Some of my neighbors have Halloween lights (orange), but these were definitely Christmas and they were definitely on.

I saw one tree with Christmas (white, twinkly) lights already in it in the yard of a condo near my house two weeks ago and scared the shit out of the person in the car with me because my instant, outloud reaction was "NO. You fuckers." and the other person had not seen what I saw and thus had no idea what I was talking about and assumed it was traffic-related...

• Love 5

I saw the first Best Buy holiday commercial yesterday.  From what I remember Best Buy followed closely by Walmart usually do Christmas commercials really early.

Enh call me a nut but I LOVE Christmas and I'm ok with early stuff.  My decorations usually go up a week or 2 BEFORE Thanksgiving so I'm cool with it all.

• Love 2
On ‎11‎/‎03‎/‎2016 at 2:30 AM, ivygirl said:

I had my first sighting of the Glade commercial, AND the Target holiday ad. No "Marshmallow World."

Still has a horribly annoying child in it, though.

On ‎11‎/‎02‎/‎2016 at 4:06 PM, Dirtybubble said:

I saw the first Best Buy holiday commercial yesterday.  From what I remember Best Buy followed closely by Walmart usually do Christmas commercials really early.

Enh call me a nut but I LOVE Christmas and I'm ok with early stuff.  My decorations usually go up a week or 2 BEFORE Thanksgiving so I'm cool with it all.

I didn't used to mind it, but more than a decade of working retail has taught me to hate the inevitable Christmas creep.  And Christmas itself.  And people in general, really.

• LOL 1
  • Love 6

As warm as it's been in November I'm sure a lot of people are thinking of maybe putting up Christmas decorations now.  The thought has crossed my mind.  (Not lighting, but just putting stuff up.)

• Love 3

You should, Haleth, because according to a luxury car commercial I saw tonight, Christmas is already over! Seriously, a nice auto with a tree lying on its roof, the tree's roots collected in burlap, is cruising down a snowy street of a subdivision . Neighbors are pulling their dead trees to the curb. But luxury car family heads to the woods where they plant their tree. A sweet little girl puts an ornament on it and says "See you next year!"

• Love 6
On 11/6/2016 at 9:04 PM, mmecorday said:

A sweet little girl puts an ornament on it and says "See you next year!"

So they dig that tree up every Christmas, and then put it back?  Poor tree.

Saw the Dodge brothers last night, with Christmas trees strapped to the roof of their Charger and Challenger. They race to the next light, and blow the needles off the trees. Made me laugh. They're calling it the Dodge Black Friday Event Commercial 2016.  

• Love 1

And that triggers my first yearly Christmas shopping season pet peeve: Black Friday is the day after Thanksgiving, not the entire freaking month of November.

Thanks for thrashing all the meaning out of another thing, advertisers. Now get off my lawn.

• Love 12

I was just coming to post that Seymour Butts have been sighted.  I'm fast-forwarding through the commercials as I'm watching 'Grey's Anatomy', but I still caught a quick glimpse of the 'butts and boobs' graphic.  

Edited by BooksRule
  • Love 3
16 hours ago, BooksRule said:

Seymour Butts

I had to Google this, because I didn't know the reference.  

I've been seeing a lot of car commercials. Every make and model has a tree strapped to the roof. I guess that's our new theme, instead of the big red bow and "surprise, honey, look what I bought you."

• Love 1
21 hours ago, Haleth said:

Announcing the first seasonal sighting of a Seymour butt necklace commercial!  Christmas is saved!  Oh, happy day!

Hahahaha!  Good grief that's funny =D

Saw this for the first time yesterday.  A party for overpriced underwear and bras??

On 11/4/2016 at 10:27 AM, proserpina65 said:

Still has a horribly annoying child in it, though.

I didn't used to mind it, but more than a decade of working retail has taught me to hate the inevitable Christmas creep.  And Christmas itself.  And people in general, really.

I feel you. Did quite a few years as a retail slave myself. They forced us to listen to Christmas music all day long for weeks. I now officially hate Christmas music. My DH loves it and there is a bit of tension when we're in the car and he puts on one of his cd's and I keep changing it back to a rock station.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

I now officially hate Christmas music. My DH loves it and there is a bit of tension when we're in the car and he puts on one of his cd's and I keep changing it back to a rock station.

I believe there is an unwritten rule that the driver gets to choose the music. Captain of the ship and all that.  :)

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

There's a Pier 1 commercial advertising Christmas stuff--decorative dishes, sparkly knick-knacks, etc. Your basic clutter. Anyway, the ad shows a woman at the dining room table admiring her new "Santa and his Reindeer" patterned dishes. And she has so much crap on her dining room table: Christmas trees, decorative stars, wreaths. Where is she planning to put the food?

• Love 5
10 hours ago, meep.meep said:

I dislike the Fiat Santa.

That is all.

Hipster Santa!  Yeah I'm not a fan either.  And the sexy female elves with their pointed ears, what the fudge??

On 11/14/2016 at 5:00 PM, peacheslatour said:

Did quite a few years as a retail slave myself. They forced us to listen to Christmas music all day long for weeks. I now officially hate Christmas music. My DH loves it and there is a bit of tension when we're in the car and he puts on one of his cd's and I keep changing it back to a rock station.

I used to work in retail as well and HATED everything Christmas related also.  It's been quite a few years (thank God) since I've done that so I love Christmas music and such as well.  The exception would be a few years ago and I had string of deaths in the family all in December that made me really hate/sad about all the Christmas cheer.  It's great if everything is going good in your life but when you hit a rough spot it seems to be magnified by all this Christmas stuff being shoved down your throat.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, topanga said:

There's a Pier 1 commercial advertising Christmas stuff--decorative dishes, sparkly knick-knacks, etc. Your basic clutter. Anyway, the ad shows a woman at the dining room table admiring her new "Santa and his Reindeer" patterned dishes. And she has so much crap on her dining room table: Christmas trees, decorative stars, wreaths. Where is she planning to put the food?

Maybe it's cafeteria style in the kitchen.  Grab your plate, get tour food and go sit down.  We do that most of the time.  That's all I have. 

• Love 2

The best pointy-eared female elf prize goes to Parker in the Leverage episode in the mall at Xmas. Eliot was Santa. Doesn't get better than that, even though it wasn't an ad.  Ad makers should just quit unless they can get Beth Riesgraf to reprise her Parker role.

I used to work for a law firm. After 28 years, the partners decided to go their separate ways and about 200 employees were let go in late December. Gee, thanks, big shots.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Dirtybubble said:

Hipster Santa!  Yeah I'm not a fan either.  And the sexy female elves with their pointed ears, what the fudge??

I used to work in retail as well and HATED everything Christmas related also.  It's been quite a few years (thank God) since I've done that so I love Christmas music and such as well.  The exception would be a few years ago and I had string of deaths in the family all in December that made me really hate/sad about all the Christmas cheer.  It's great if everything is going good in your life but when you hit a rough spot it seems to be magnified by all this Christmas stuff being shoved down your throat.

Haven't seen Fiat hipster Santa yet, but I hate it already.

I'd been out of retail for 8 years, and was beginning to feel less awful about Christmas.  Then I had to do some temp work at Walmart last holiday season.  It all came back with a vengeance.  Plus, never-ending overheard playing of "Let It Go" - made me want to kill Adele Dazeem.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I used to work for a law firm. After 28 years, the partners decided to go their separate ways and about 200 employees were let go in late December. Gee, thanks, big shots.

Wow, that sucks!  At my old company, they would "reorganize" and cut staff in December, so the new year would start fresh from an expense standpoint.  It happened so many times in the 20 years I was there, we got to calling it the "Home for the Holidays" program.

• Love 7
10 hours ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

Aw, its Mr. and Mrs. Paddington. :-)

I had to pause it to see the name on the passport.  Edward Blair.  (Born 3/10/44.)  I thought it should have been Baer or Behr.  Still adorable though.

• Love 2