Type keyword(s) to search

Holiday and Seasonal Commercials

• Start Topic

21 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

What ever happened to Cold Duck?  That used to be my cheap sparkling wine of choice.  :)

Oh Lord that stuff is sweet. I mean toe curling, diabetic coma inducing sweet. And the hangovers make you wish Dom Perignon's parents had never met.

• Love 5

In addition to the Seymour Butts necklaces, I always laugh at the "two diamond" ring ads.  I hear their tag line One Diamond For Your Best Friend. One Diamond For Your True Love and think "They're trying to sell you two rings???"

• Love 3

In addition to the Seymour Butts necklaces, I always laugh at the "two diamond" ring ads.  I hear their tag line One Diamond For Your Best Friend. One Diamond For Your True Love and think "They're trying to sell you two rings???"

While this is fundamentally just another attempt to goad people into buying diamonds, I must say this one particularly irks me.  People will come out of the woodwork testifying to their partner and their best friend being one and the same and, seriously, hooray for them.  Personally, however, I find it creepy; for me, those are two distinctive roles and such overlap would be unhealthy.  So I find the ads disturbing.

• Love 3
On 12/25/2016 at 7:07 PM, friendperidot said:

from the ads I've seen the 2 most requested gifts are fat heads and flex steel. neither are high on my wish list.

I actually checked into fatheads for my son, and found they don't work on textured walls.  Maybe it's regional thing, but do that many people really NOT texture their drywall?  I've never lived in nor seen any place that does not texture.

• Love 2

I don't even know what textured drywall is.  True, I've only lived in 3 places that had drywall and they're all in Georgia. Where I grew up, in Miami, my grandfather plastered our walls and they (and the ceiling) definitely had a texture to them. There was a blob on my bedroom ceiling that looked like an ice cream cone with a cherry hurtling through space.

What's a fat head? I've not seen that ad.

Fathead is a company that basically makes giant decals to put on walls. So if your kid is super into the Angels, you could put a lifesize Mike Trout on the wall and it theoretically doesn't damage the wall in any way, but also isn't permanent. There are non-sports ones too, but that's (I think) what they're most famous for. Giant sports-related stuff you can stick on a wall. Easy way to "theme" a kid's room without permanent stuff.

Edited by theatremouse
  • Love 3
9 hours ago, MaryPatShelby said:

I actually checked into fatheads for my son, and found they don't work on textured walls.  Maybe it's regional thing, but do that many people really NOT texture their drywall?  I've never lived in nor seen any place that does not texture.

Yeah, textured is the default because it hides any irregularities that would stand out with a smooth finish.

• Love 1
23 hours ago, Moose135 said:

I always laugh at the "two diamond" ring ads. 

I get annoyed because it is not a new idea. In vintage jewelry, they were called "moi et toi" or "toi et moi" settings, two stones instead of a solitaire. In Russia, the design is called a "kiss." They are often a diamond and a colored stone, like an emerald.

But now I guess we're all so wealthy that solitaires aren't solitaires any more, they are halo'd and pave'd and the settings are elaborate, but they still call it a solitaire. I digress.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, forumfish said:

First we had "Friendsgiving" instead of Thanksgiving … now Hallmark is advertising (in print and online, haven't seen a TV ad yet) "Galentine's" as opposed to Valentine's. Yes, you can now celebrate "girls' night out" as an official holiday. Bleh.

Get away from me with that shit!

• Love 4
6 hours ago, forumfish said:

First we had "Friendsgiving" instead of Thanksgiving … now Hallmark is advertising (in print and online, haven't seen a TV ad yet) "Galentine's" as opposed to Valentine's. Yes, you can now celebrate "girls' night out" as an official holiday. Bleh.

Pfui. I can go out with my gal friends any time - why would I pick a day where it's notoriously difficult to get a reservation?

• Love 5

A Helzburg diamond commercial says "when it comes to Valentine's Day, we know bigger isn't always better" while a gentleman struggles to get a giant bear out of the back of a SUV.  The message is that he should have purchased their heart-shaped diamond necklace instead.

Is it weird if I would rather have the giant bear?

• Love 8

No, that giant bear would make an awesome chair, but not a chair, but use it as one? 

But I do find it weird a diamond ad would go into a "size" conversation at all. Obvious, yes a necklace is much smaller than even a not giant bear, but there is a lot of "ooooh this diamond is very big" in the whole....space of people who think getting a diamond as a gift is important. So unless they were going for "even if it's not a big diamond, still always go diamond" I donno, seems like an unpleasant can of worms to me.

However, I am absolutely not the target audience for this so what do I know?

• Love 1

Speaking of Valentine's Day jewelry, I was looking online for a pair of earrings for a gift and discovered that Jane Seymour also makes butt earrings.  So you can wear your heart on your sleeve and your butt on your ears.  Nice.

• Love 12

OK gang, I'm locked and loaded for Super Bowl LI.  Hope we have a better selection than the past couple of years.

I'll have to time my kitchen snack duties to actual game time.  You never know when we might find a gem.

• Love 2

So far, at $5 mil per 30 seconds, the advertisers are wasting their money.  Guess I'll have to watch the game and cook during the commercials.

ETA:  The Honda spot with the animated celebrity yearbook photos was clever.  The kangaroo in the bar was cute, but I can't remember the advertiser (defeats the purpose).

• Love 2
13 hours ago, spiderpig said:

The Honda spot with the animated celebrity yearbook photos was clever.

I watched the whole game waiting to see that one but somehow missed it.  Most of the ads were pretty terrible.  I did like the "controversial" ones with a message about immigration.

Didn't there used to be a Super Bowl Commercials topic? 

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Haleth said:

I watched the whole game waiting to see that one but somehow missed it.  Most of the ads were pretty terrible.  I did like the "controversial" ones with a message about immigration.

Didn't there used to be a Super Bowl Commercials topic? 

There was never a dedicated topic for Super Bowl commercials in this forum. There are enough topics within the forum to discuss them that a new topic wasn't needed. Last year and this year, there was a live chat topic for the Super Bowl encompassing the game, the halftime show and the commercials. Last year it was announced here. This year it wasn't set up until the day, but the live chat topic for the was addressed in response to a query in the Small Talk topic, here and below it. 

• Love 3

I liked most of the "controversial" ads. The commercial about woman receiving equal pay was a good commercial. I also loved the commercials regarding immigration. It is import to be reminded that we are a nation of immigrants that all come from different backgrounds. The one with the Mexican family crossing the boarder was good too. Apparently in the unaired version they get to the "wall" and simply go through a door into the US :).

There was also fun commercials like the one with Melissa McCarthy that I liked and the yearbook commercial.

• Love 6
On ‎12‎/‎30‎/‎2016 at 11:11 PM, mmecorday said:

From smittykins' link:

Yes, impress your friends with a bottle of carbonated rot gut!

I'd rather drink it than actual champagne.  I know I am a philistine, but I hate dry wines.  Alcoholic fruit juice for the win!

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Is there *anyone* in the USA that wants a heart-shaped pizza from Papa John's for Valentine's Day?  Perhaps the brownie, but take-home pizza for VD?  And that sappy way he says, "I love you," makes my skin crawl.

I'm not necessarily opposed to take out pizza for Valentine's Day (it's a workday, after all), but it's not even slightly romantic except in a "Honey, you just relax with a glass or 3 of wine and put your feet up and don't worry about a thing" sort of way). I don't get behind Domino's and their wedding registry, either. 

• Love 2

last year on Valentine's Day, I was broke and I didn't have a sweetheart then and I don't have one now and I'd rather stick needles in my eye but my nephew and his gf were staying with me, both teenagers. I bought a pizza for the 3 of us, it wasn't heart shaped though. I think we got wings and cinnamon sticks too. 

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Is there *anyone* in the USA that wants a heart-shaped pizza from Papa John's for Valentine's Day?  Perhaps the brownie, but take-home pizza for VD?  And that sappy way he says, "I love you," makes my skin crawl.

I make my DH a heart shaped pizza every Valentines Day. Have for years, of course home made pizza is a little different than the "pizza" that Papa John's makes.

• Love 3

Another Valentine's promotion is some company that ships giant strawberries dipped in chocolate. Guaranteed delivery on 2/14. Granted, I live in a strawberry growing region, but don't most grocery stores carry the giant strawberries dipped in chocolate for this holiday? Are we really all too lazy to go to the store, now?

1 hour ago, ennui said:

Another Valentine's promotion is some company that ships giant strawberries dipped in chocolate. Guaranteed delivery on 2/14. Granted, I live in a strawberry growing region, but don't most grocery stores carry the giant strawberries dipped in chocolate for this holiday? Are we really all too lazy to go to the store, now?

Plus it's super easy (and a lot less expensive) to make your own.

3 hours ago, ennui said:

Sherries Berries.   *giggle*  Yes I'm 12.

• Love 1
16 hours ago, ennui said:

A friend sent us Sherri's Berries for Christmas.  They weren't very good.  I ended up breaking off the chocolate (and I am a chocoholic) and just eating the strawberries.

• Love 1
On ‎02‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 8:22 AM, Prevailing Wind said:

I would love a heart-shaped pizza for Valentine's Day.  But not that crap from Papa John's.

• Love 3

I would love a heart-shaped pizza for Valentine's Day.  But not that crap from Papa John's.

Word. Just got pizza at work today and it sadly was Papa Johns. Sucked as much as the last time I remember eating it (years ago)

Re: the SB commercial about equal pay...that was Audi. It's rather ironic that German automakers are not known for their female-friendly workplaces. 

• Love 1
On 2/4/2017 at 7:29 AM, mojoween said:

A Helzburg diamond commercial says "when it comes to Valentine's Day, we know bigger isn't always better" while a gentleman struggles to get a giant bear out of the back of a SUV.  The message is that he should have purchased their heart-shaped diamond necklace instead.

Is it weird if I would rather have the giant bear?

I saw one of those giant teddy bears yesterday (Valentine's). It was tied to the back of a pickup truck's tail gate. Presumably with a noose around its neck.

On 2/5/2017 at 6:19 AM, Haleth said:

Speaking of Valentine's Day jewelry, I was looking online for a pair of earrings for a gift and discovered that Jane Seymour also makes butt earrings.  So you can wear your heart on your sleeve and your butt on your ears.  Nice.

Today is Jane's birthday. She's 66. Butt I digress. 

So, I think tax prep commercials are seasonal.  H&R Block has a new series with Watson, IBM's supercomputer that combines artificial intelligence (AI) and sophisticated analytical software for optimal performance as a “question answering” machine. As if anyone needed confirmation that our tax code is too complicated.

On 2/14/2017 at 11:22 AM, bad things are bad said:

Word. Just got pizza at work today and it sadly was Papa Johns. Sucked as much as the last time I remember eating it (years ago)

Re: the SB commercial about equal pay...that was Audi. It's rather ironic that German automakers are not known for their female-friendly workplaces. 

If you're going to get crappy pizza, I always go with Little Caesars. From CNN:

Little Caesars founder Mike Ilitch read the story in the newspaper and called Keith, offering to pay for Rosa Parks' housing indefinitely. With no fanfare, Ilitch continued paying for the apartment until Parks died in 2005.

Just now, peacheslatour said:

edit above

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Love 6

I think the only reason we got Papa John's is that there was some sort of deal, and they deliver.   

I am in the Detroit area and the death of Ilitch has been covered like he was a head of state. He was by all appearances a modest and hardworking guy, particularly considering he was a billionaire. 

• Love 2