Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: We'll Be Right Back

• Start Topic

And I just bought the fountain, 9 filters and a cleaning brush for $55* on Amazon. Love that place. I live within a mile of a fulfillment center, so things arrive very quickly. They could just about step outside, yell "Catch!" and chuck it my way. Lets see what these kitties think of running water that's not in my bathtub.

*The 9 filters cost a little more than the unit itself. There was someone else selling knockoffs cheaper, but several reviews said they weren't as high a quality, shed lots of carbon dust even when pre-rinsed and generally, weren't worth it.

Edited by riley702

only be careful with ordering from Walmart, terrible refund policy, take your money on your card immediately, takes over a week to get it back. got charges bouncing all over the place now and still don't have the refund. last time I buy any high cost item from Walmart. It's not entirely their fault, I ordered 2 by mistake, they sent the wrong size, it was delivered in one day, caught the UPS driver and refused to accept. Took 5 days to return and another week and I still don't have the refund. I am pissed. My sister is paying a couple of the bills to keep things from being shut off. I have to pay one of the other utility bills at the end of the month to pay her back.

• Love 2

I will have to check out that fountain on Amazon, thank you!

Has anyone tried the Green Giant veggie tots?  I love broccoli, and I love tater tots, but I don't know how I would feel about broccoli inside of a tot.

According to the Green Giant website, there's no potato in the veggie tots. I guess the tot is just the shape? There's a broccoli & cheddar tot; I may look for them the next time I'm in the store.

I'm surprised Ore-Ida hasn't trademarked 'tots.' Are they owned by the same company?

Edited by ennui
  • Love 1

They probably TMed "Tater Tots", which does not necessarily give them claim to "something-else tots" or "tots" by itself. Also it'd probably be pretty easy to argue the phrase is now equivalent to a generic and not explicitly associated with Ore-Ida anymore so they might even lose that TM in the not distant future if it went to court.

• Love 2
10 minutes ago, theatremouse said:

They probably TMed "Tater Tots", which does not necessarily give them claim to "something-else tots" or "tots" by itself. Also it'd probably be pretty easy to argue the phrase is now equivalent to a generic and not explicitly associated with Ore-Ida anymore so they might even lose that TM in the not distant future if it went to court.

I would hope they WOULD fight it in court; they invented the things.

2 hours ago, ennui said:

According to the Green Giant website, there's no potato in the veggie tots. I guess the tot is just the shape? There's a broccoli & cheddar tot; I may look for them the next time I'm in the store.

I'm surprised Ore-Ida hasn't trademarked 'tots.' Are they owned by the same company?

I remember when you got broccoli-cheddar balls at Chilis-style restaurants, now they're marketed as healthy snacks at Whole Foods. I buy them for myself and the cashiers say things like "oh, it's hard to get kids to eat veggies, but I bet they like those"  :)

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Brattinella said:

I would hope they WOULD fight it in court; they invented the things.

I mean, pretty much the only way to keep  a TM is to fight it anytime you suspect someone of using it. That's how they get lost, by letting it get used by others enough to dilute it. (I'm still surprised Kleenex and Band-aid haven't lost theirs yet.)

If you read the Wiki article about Tater Tots, I think Ore-Ida accepts that it's also a generic term. There are lots of little potato thingies out there.

18 minutes ago, theatremouse said:

(I'm still surprised Kleenex and Band-aid haven't lost theirs yet.)

Another one is Xerox. I guess I'm weird, because I'm always careful to say photocopy and tissue. But I do say Band-Aid.

I used to work for a law firm that handled the trademark issues for Coca-Cola. They would send people out to restaurants they knew served Pepsi and ask for a Coke. If the "customer" was not told it's a Pepsi, the restaurant would get slapped with a cease & desist order. They were/are extremely vigorous in defending their trademarks.

• Love 1

Back when Joan Crawford was the widow of Pepsi's CEO and on the company's board, she and Bette Davis were filming "Hush, Hush, Sweet Charlotte" (until Crawford backed out, allegedly ill (the producer didn't buy it, and hired a private investigator to follow her)), Crawford had a cooler of Pepsis delivered to the set.  Davis had a Coke machine installed.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I used to work for a law firm that handled the trademark issues for Coca-Cola. They would send people out to restaurants they knew served Pepsi and ask for a Coke. If the "customer" was not told it's a Pepsi, the restaurant would get slapped with a cease & desist order. They were/are extremely vigorous in defending their trademarks.

Ew, yeah, I hate it when that happens. I'd want to be told it wasn't a Coke too.

• Love 7
18 hours ago, riley702 said:

I was thinking just the opposite, bilgistic. To each their own.

Sure, but if you ask for Pepsi, people assume you want Pepsi. You ask for Coke, they think they can make substitutions.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, chessiegal said:

Amtrak serves Pepsi products. I've heard folks in the dining car ask for Coke and the server asks if Pepsi is okay (the menu clearly says they have Pepsi products).

To many folks, "Coke" means "Soda".   Gimme a Coke.

• Love 2

Probably because my family only drank Pepsi products for my entire life, but Pepsi is Pepsi, Coke is Coke and they are both soda and I would never think Coke meant all dark cola.  Before I gave up soda, any time I went to a restaurant for the first time my first question was always "do you have Pepsi or Coke products?" and then decide from there. If they didn't have Dr. Pepper or Mr. Pibb I would usually get something fruity.

The worst question in the soda genre I was ever asked was when I queried if the restaurant had Dr. Pepper and the waitress said "is root beer ok?" to which I nicely made clear that no, it is most assuredly not.

On an unrelated note, I could have sworn that PTV had a specific Super Bowl ad thread but I do not see one so I wonder if one would be beneficial?  Or will the ad discussions just head to whichever thread is relevant.

On 1/27/2017 at 6:16 PM, ennui said:

I've seen squirrels cling with their back feet and hang, and paw around with their front feet. It's fascinating.

I have a photo of a squirrel hanging down by his back feet and eating grape jelly from the oriole feeder. 

Sadie the Dog loves bananas. 

Edited by AuntiePam
Wrong feeder.
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, mojoween said:

The worst question in the soda genre I was ever asked was when I queried if the restaurant had Dr. Pepper and the waitress said "is root beer ok?" to which I nicely made clear that no, it is most assuredly not.

I'm sure there are also a lot of customers who would say, "sure, fine, whatever." 

I looked for a SB commercial section, too, but didn't see one. Since the ads all drift into the mainstream after the game, we probably don't need one. 

So I went back and checked, last year we said this:

There was a Super Bowl topic last year, I'm not sure if there will be one this year. (I did just ask about it) If there is or isn't, discussion of the Super Bowl commercials can go in the Holiday and Seasonal. Or Favorite. Or Annoying. Depending on how you felt about them :) 

Hope this helps. The Notes From the Mods is not locked, so if you have a question, it could got there. Or PM us, too!

• Love 1
On 2/4/2017 at 4:55 PM, ennui said:

I looked for Veggie Tots at the grocery store. None found. Maybe they haven't rolled out to the west coast yet?

I've looked for them too here in the mid-south but nothing. Why are they advertising them so readily if they're not readily available? Grump. 

• Love 2
37 minutes ago, ramble said:

I've looked for them too here in the mid-south but nothing. Why are they advertising them so readily if they're not readily available? Grump. 

Building up anticipation for when they go nationwide? The greengiant.com website lets you look up availability by zip code.

On 2/6/2017 at 3:24 PM, ramble said:

I'm in North Carolina and found them at Walmart. I used to make pancakes out of shredded zucchini and breadcrumbs. These are about the same, pretty good.

• Love 2

I live in the south and have never called drinks soda, pop or soda pop. I've always used the proper names of whatever drink was being discussed so people would know which one I meant. 

At home, we call carbonated beverages "fizzy drinks," but in the general public, I use "soda." I know plenty of "pop" aficionados, but I don't think I've ever met someone in real life who uses the term "coke" for any carbonated bev, although I am aware that they exist.

• Love 1

I'm always surprised that the entire state of Georgia seems to be interested in diluting Coke's trademark, but according to website above, it's even more prevalent across the south than (different website that tracks American dialects) indicated.

22 hours ago, Maverick said:

Some names they put on "the others" are funny. ;) 

DON'T GIVE INTO THE IGNORANT TEXANS AND OTHER UNMENTIONABLE SOUTHERNERS!!!! IT IS AND ALWAYS WILL BE POP AND NOT COKE. DON'T LISTEN TO UPTIGHT NORTHERN SNOBS. IT IS AND ALWAYS WILL BE POP AND NOT SODA!!!! WE WILL NOT BE STOPPED! SAY IT LOUD AND SAY IT PROUD!!!! I WANT A POP!!!

^From Colorado ^-^

dear soda drinkers of America, Canada and everywher else (yes I said SODA drinkers), heres whats up. it is called SODA, S-O-D-A, got it? pop is a nickname for your dad, a type of stupid music and what popcorn does. it is NOT the wonderfully sweet and fizzy drink that everyone knows and loves. as for coke, i slightly agree becuase if i want a cola-flavored drink i always ask for coke even if they boldly advertize pepsi on the wall, coke is the superior cola brand and should be recognized. as for all other carbonated drinks (i.e- sprite, dr.pepper, root beer, etc.) they are called SODA!, and for that person who gave the explination that pop is short for phosphate, big deal, no one says phospate and they shouldnt say pop. Not to mention in the 50's they had SODA shops, and SODA fountain, and SODA jerks. do any of those things contain the work pop??.... NO! in conclusion, SODA is best, and althought CT may be a small state it kicks ass has a great college b-ball team and we all drink SODA!!!

^from Connecticut ^-^

Edited by piequinn35
  • Love 4
6 hours ago, piequinn35 said:

This sign has pop and soda, what's the difference? ;)

pop.jpg

I don't understand why the sub-signs were necessary. There's no rule that they all must be filled in. "Soft drinks" = soda/pop/fizzy drinks. I do understand that a "soft" drink is technically the opposite of a "hard" (alcoholic) drink, but does anyone think "milk" or "juice" when they read/see "soft drink"?

Also, I'm SUPER bothered by the lack of hyphens after the numbers.

• Love 3
On 2/9/2017 at 6:49 PM, bilgistic said:

I don't understand why the sub-signs were necessary.

In most stores I've been too recently, if they have signs like that one, the top is the broader category (if any) and the sub signs indicate the actual approximate order of where stuff is in the aisle. I agree in this example it makes no sense at all. It's a soda aisle. Not too dificult to figure out what's expected to be in it and walk past. But for example, if the big label were something like "baking" then the sub-signs might say something like "boxed mixes, flour, spices" and the point of that is telling you which side of the aisle and which end of the aisle those things approximately are. That's helpful. 2L vs however many cans...not exactly hard to figure out.

• Love 5