Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: We'll Be Right Back

• Start Topic

10 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I'll just go ahead and freak everybody out. When I was a kid I used to eat tuna and ketchup sandwiches. That's it, just tuna and ketchup on bread.

I'm suitably appalled!

I was making a tuna salad sandwich yesterday for my niece and wondered why most kids eat the stuff so readily since it has such a strong fishy taste and smell. I was thinking it was the dressing, but now you've added a new angle.

My family ate peanut butter and mayonaisse sandwiches, never jelly, so we're probably pegging the freak-o-meter, too.

• Love 4
30 minutes ago, Isle Of Why said:

My family ate peanut butter and mayonaisse sandwiches, never jelly, so we're probably pegging the freak-o-meter, too.

I don't think I'd like that on a sandwich, but I could also justify said sandwich by saying that's basically just flourless peanut butter cake batter that hasn't been mixed yet. On bread.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I'll just go ahead and freak everybody out. When I was a kid I used to eat tuna and ketchup sandwiches. That's it, just tuna and ketchup on bread.

One step further: kids in my family loved tuna in scrambled eggs with ketchup on top for breakfast. Wonder Bread on the side. Eggs cooked in bacon grease, of course.

• Love 2

Peanut butter and Mayo? Tuna and ketchup? Wow. Of course, my husband eats banana and mayo sandwiches with a glass of milk. When we married (46 years ago), I told him I would never make him that disgusting sandwich. And I never have. Now our grandson eats it. Makes me gag every time but whatever floats their boat. But really? Tuna and ketchup? Ha. 

• Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, Gam2 said:

Peanut butter and Mayo? Tuna and ketchup? Wow. Of course, my husband eats banana and mayo sandwiches with a glass of milk. When we married (46 years ago), I told him I would never make him that disgusting sandwich. And I never have. Now our grandson eats it. Makes me gag every time but whatever floats their boat. But really? Tuna and ketchup? Ha. 

I also used to eat peanut butter and banana sandwiches. I still do, but I used to too.

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Love 3

I think peanut butter and banana sandwiches are what Elvis used to eat. I might be wrong about that but it wrings a bell with me. At least it's not bananas and mayo. 

I guess we just all like what we like but some of these combinations just blow my mind. I don't even know how someone would even think up some of this stuff. Ha. 

• Love 2

I am so fussy that nearly everything I've read has grossed me out.

What I do not eat: eggs, mayo, pickles, cheese, ketchup, tuna, mustard or jelly in any combination.

I like chicken and I like ham, but not in any form of salad.

One of the most divine snacks I ever had was bacon wrapped water chestnuts but I have neither the time nor patience to do it.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Gam2 said:

I think peanut butter and banana sandwiches are what Elvis used to eat. I might be wrong about that but it wrings a bell with me. At least it's not bananas and mayo. 

I guess we just all like what we like but some of these combinations just blow my mind. I don't even know how someone would even think up some of this stuff. Ha. 

I read it was bacon, bananas and peanut butter.

One of the most divine snacks I ever had was bacon wrapped water chestnuts but I have neither the time nor patience to do it.

My mother made those for every party she ever had.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Reeve's!  I went to DC with some friends early January 1997 to see Max Cleland get sworn in as my Senator. Every morning we had breakfast at Reeve's. I still have a postcard from there stashed away somewhere. I was very disappointed when I went back a few years ago and discovered it had closed.

OMG, I loved Reeve's!!  I used to eat breakfast there every payday.  And while I don't like donuts, I loved the blueberry donuts at Reeve's.  I wasn't quite the same place after they moved to G Street, but I was still sad when they closed. 

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

I had breast cancer and never was told to avoid soy. Do I need to contact my oncologist? I'm 5 years out, still on an anti-estrogen drug - maybe that's why. I'm stopping the drug in May, she said nothing about avoiding soy in my check up last month. Does it include edamame? Soy based substitute meat products?

I must preface this by saying I am not an oncologist, just someone who has known several people who have had breast cancer. My understanding is soy is an issue only for certain types of tumors, not all. You can follow up with your oncologist if you're concerned, but if they never mentioned it to begin with, that might be because they deemed the type you had not the kind where soy might increase risk.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I went to DC with some friends early January 1997 to see Max Cleland get sworn in as my Senator.

To save @bilgistic from any more talk of eggs, I'll comment on this.  I met Max Cleland in 2010.  He spoke at the American Airpower Museum back on Long Island where I volunteer.  At the time, he was Secretary of the American Battle Monuments Commission. Among its other duties, the Commission is responsible for operating and maintaining permanent American military cemeteries in foreign countries.  What an incredible human being, with a moving life story to tell.  Speaking with him, he made you feel like his best friend - insisted I call him Max, rather than Mr. Secretary.  A real gentleman, and a true American hero.

Secretary Cleland with Congressman Steve Israel

JM_2010_05_18_AAM_Cleland_009-L.jpg

• Love 4
14 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I think it was, fried in butter. I love peanut butter and bacon on toast. Sounds disgusting, but the fats blend marvelously well.

• Love 4
23 hours ago, Isle Of Why said:

Peanut butter and mayo -- try it grilled, like grilled cheese.  It's wonderful.

For crunch in tuna salad, try chopping up some water chestnuts.  Celery is good too, but what do we do with all the leftover celery? 

Re the above discussion about soy and breast cancer, NPR yesterday reported on a study suggesting that soy is actually beneficial, except that it might decrease the effect of one of the cancer drugs.  The report is probably on-line -- I don't recall the details.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, AuntiePam said:

Peanut butter and mayo -- try it grilled, like grilled cheese.  It's wonderful.

For crunch in tuna salad, try chopping up some water chestnuts.  Celery is good too, but what do we do with all the leftover celery? 

Re the above discussion about soy and breast cancer, NPR yesterday reported on a study suggesting that soy is actually beneficial, except that it might decrease the effect of one of the cancer drugs.  The report is probably on-line -- I don't recall the details.

Our nearby supermarket sells single celery stalks. I usually only buy a couple for soup or whatever.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, AuntiePam said:

Celery is good too, but what do we do with all the leftover celery? 

Eat it?  Celery stalks are one of my fave raw veg.  Plain, lightly salted, or with hummus, or with salsa, or with veggie cream cheese. Or cook with them.  Celery is the base of so many foods - soups especially.  I go through celery so fast since I make soup once a week - a big pot that gets eaten through out the week.  I always say I'll freeze some for later but I love soup so much that it doesn't happen.  Dinner on day 1, lunch on day 2, dinner and/or lunch again on day 4.  All gone.  Celery is also used when with roasts of all kinds (chicken, pot roast, turkey, etc).  Also good in lettuce salads, cabbage salads, etc.  Plus, if you wrap the bottom end in tin foil, it lasts a lot longer.

• Love 5
16 minutes ago, aquarian1 said:

Plus, if you wrap the bottom end in tin foil, it lasts a lot longer.

Yep, that's what I do with celery, and it last a long time.  I set the leafy tops aside for making stock, and then the remaining stalks get snacked on (with dill dip, peanut butter, or ranch dressing, usually) and used in soups, salads, and Bloody Marys.

• Love 4

So when I was about 13 I sneaked a cigarette from my uncle's pack and went around the house to smoke it.  It was my first time.  I remember choking to the point where I thought I was going to pass out, and crawling around on all fours.  Took me quite a while to get myself together but, luckily, my mom never found out. : )  Tried another one in college when I was about 19 and the same thing happened.  Haven't had once since because I learned my lesson, thank goodness. 

• Love 4

My mom smoked my entire life (including in utero) and stopped when I was about 13, I think.  My dad also smoked cigars until she quit.  It's amazing how much it doesn't bother you when you are around it 24 hours a day until it's no longer there.

The best thing that ever happened when I was a bowler was NY's smoking ban because I could wear my nice winter coat to the bowling alley, heh.

Of course, none of this kept me from smoking. When I was like 12 or 13 we would buy smokes for two bucks at the corner store and hide them in a part of a fence post that didn't have a fence in it that was stuck in the ground just outside the village cemetery.  It was the perfect little hidey-hole.

I was never a hardcore smoker though.  Never in high school and just occasionally in college because my ex-BF thought it was gross so I would do it when he went home.  Then after marriage we would sometimes smoke Swisher Sweets while gaming (Dungeons & Dragons, I'm so hardcore) and before the smoking ban I would smoke at the bars while getting drunk and singing karaoke.  Don't tell my husband, he seemed to believe me when I said I smelled like smoke because everyone ELSE was doing it.

• Love 8

I didn't start experimenting with cigarettes until college, when there was a vending machine in the common area of the dorm.  I didn't stick with it because I hated the taste it left in my mouth, and I would be out of breath climbing the stairs. Plus my mom smokes, and I knew I would probably get hooked if I continued.

One of my friends told me that she and another kid would sneak in the back door of our town's(now long-closed)hospital to buy smokes out of their machine.  They were 9 and 11 at the time.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Ohwell said:

So when I was about 13 I sneaked a cigarette from my uncle's pack and went around the house to smoke it.  It was my first time.  I remember choking to the point where I thought I was going to pass out, and crawling around on all fours.  Took me quite a while to get myself together but, luckily, my mom never found out. : )  Tried another one in college when I was about 19 and the same thing happened.  Haven't had once since because I learned my lesson, thank goodness. 

I couldn't stop laughing, picturing you crawling around.

A friend of mine and I have had a couple conversations about how we spent our entire childhood having it beaten into us how harmful cigarettes are, so we've never understood why anyone under the age of like 40 would smoke one.  Even when I thought smoking looked cool, I never would have tried one.  (Seeing an elderly family friend with one of those throat holes due to smoking probably had an influence on me.)  But now after hearing how awful some of you guys' first cigarettes were, I understand it even less!

• Love 3

My parents didn't smoke.  My dad was vehemently opposed to it, probably because my grandfather died of some lung disease (I was only 4 or 5 when he died, so I don't know which one).  I've never smoked a legal cigarette in my life.

My parents didn't drink either.  I guess not everything your parents try to teach you sticks.  Ah well...

• Love 4

I certainly coughed and probably looked rather bug-eyed on my first cigarette (in high school), but didn't have a reaction anything close to what has been described.  I was only ever a social smoker, and it wasn't even close to every time I was out drinking with friends who smoked, just if I was in the mood; a pack would last me months, if not a year.  That tapered off to nothing by probably 23 or 24, and then around 30 I came across a pack with one cigarette left and enjoyed that out in the backyard, and that was the last time.  I can't say a cigarette will never sound good again (and I'd have no trouble indulging, since I think I've established I'm not going to get addicted), but it hasn't in nearly 15 years.

• Love 1
On 3/6/2017 at 6:03 PM, peacheslatour said:

There are too many variations to know for certain. There is a version with peanut butter and bananas fried in bacon grease. 

• Love 2
On 3/6/2017 at 3:33 PM, forumfish said:

I may have mentioned this in the Food topic, but my dad and sis eat peanut butter and mayo on Club crackers. The only other person I've met who eats PB & mayo is also from central Texas, so I always assumed it was regional. Where ya from, Isle Of Why?

San Francisco. I eat it mostly as topping on toast now. To gross out some people even more, it's Miracle Whip. :)

Bringing over this thought from the annoying commercials thread, and this may have been because he is a stinky teenager, but when they stopped making the anti-persperant the men in the house used, I bought what I thought was a similar product.

It happened to be deodorant only and holy hell did my kid stink.  Went back to anti-persperant and never noticed it again.

Come to think of it, my husband stunk too when he tried it.

On another note, I hate when we find a product we like and then suddenly it's no longer available.  Damn you Right Guard!

• Love 5
57 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Bringing over this thought from the annoying commercials thread, and this may have been because he is a stinky teenager, but when they stopped making the anti-persperant the men in the house used, I bought what I thought was a similar product.

It happened to be deodorant only and holy hell did my kid stink.  Went back to anti-persperant and never noticed it again.

Come to think of it, my husband stunk too when he tried it.

On another note, I hate when we find a product we like and then suddenly it's no longer available.  Damn you Right Guard!

I used to have a room mate who would just throw all her clothes in a pile on the floor, dirty/clean whatever. Then she would select a garment to wear first spraying it with Right Guard and then proceed to ironing it. She smelled awful.

• Love 3

On another note, I hate when we find a product we like and then suddenly it's no longer available.

So  with you on that! I have extremely sensitive skin, very hard to find lotions and cremes. As a young adult, Bonnie Bell had the best lotion for me! I loved it, used it for years, then they changed the formula, it didn't work as well, then they discontinued. I have searched high and low, there are a few I can use ok, but nothing that's totally great. Then one day in the grocery store, I was in their $1 section, they had a cold cream like product, I thought, oh wth, why not, it's $1. I have used that stuff for over 10 years and love it, it's been getting harder and harder to find, I'd pay $2 or $3 if they want to keep making it but raise prices. In fact, I did find it on Amazon & paid about $6 for a jar and ordered 2 jars. No car at the moment and it's hard for me to get back to my old neighborhood grocery store, but was there this week with a friend and picked up 2 more jars, I'm set for a few months. I get a lot of compliments on the softness of my skin and I don't have many breakout problems.

I cannot use products with aluminum and all antiperspirants have aluminum, so it has to be deodorant only for me. I have found that the fewer chemical products have the more likely they will work for me. Cheaper make up like Cover Girl and Maybelline treat my skin more gently. I've tried higher priced things like Estee Lauder or Clinique, even some of the higher priced items in Cover Girl and it's immediate break out time, so it's back to the cheap stuff, my pocketbook thanks me.

• Love 2

Part of the problem is that I have very fussy men who won't use gel, or spray, or solids.  Right Guard made a clear stick that they loved and I got a ton on Jet.com.  I went to order more, no dice.  Went on the Right Guard website and it wasn't listed.  Searched on Google and found message boards where people were lamenting that it was no longer made, but I did find where people said a nice substitution is Old Spice soft solid.  They seem to like it so far.  Plus it's sold at BJ's so I can get it cheaper than at the grocery store or Target.

• Love 4

My Mum was a chain smoker in the 50s, and died that way just last year.  I was probably born addicted to nicotine, and am still an unrepentant smoker (hey, I'm a loner & don't bother anyone but my credit card companies!).  She had me lighting her ciggies - and starting her Buick - before I was old enough to go to school.  She was also chastised for putting coffee in my lunchbox thermos when I was in the first grade.  :-)

One of my favorite products that went away was some Jergens lotion - it had little gold flecks in it that made my skin sparkle in the sunshine.  Man, I miss that stuff!

• Love 4
On 7/25/2016 at 7:30 PM, Brattinella said:

We tip our mailman 20 bucks at Christmas.

That is a gift, not a tip.  I am all for giving xmas gift, of cash, to those in service that come to our homes all year.  I gift my landscaper, my mail carrier has always varied.   I used to gift my UPS guy when I lived rurally in MA because the same guy always came.  He gave my dogs treats too.  

• Love 3

I gift the mailman and paper carrier at Christmas but not the garbagemen.  Should I? I mean, it's basically the same service but costs us a ton more than mail (free besides whatever we pay in taxes) and paper ($15 per five weeks).  We pay nearly $80 a quarter for trash pickup.

Also I don't know how to get it to them; the card gets clothespinned to the paper box for the paper lady and put in the mailbox with the mailman's name on it.  The garbagemen don't get out of the truck, they have claws on the truck that pick up the bins. 

• Love 1
22 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I used to have a room mate who would just throw all her clothes in a pile on the floor, dirty/clean whatever. Then she would select a garment to wear first spraying it with Right Guard and then proceed to ironing it. She smelled awful.

My nephew had an interesting  system for his laundry - he used a large hamper/laundry basket.  He washed all his clothes, and put them back in the hamper.  During the week, he got clean clothes to wear out of the hamper, but also put dirty clothes IN the hamper, with the clean.  If he chose something to wear that was questionable, he had a spray bottle of febreeze next to the hamper that he thought solved the problem.  (it didn't)   On laundry day, he washed EVERYTHING that was in the hamper.   It took him a while to realize that there were some items that he was washing every week, even though he never wore them (like his swimsuit in the winter). 

• Love 4

If my mail lady wasn't such a bitch I'd think about giving her a gift for Xmas. I was sick for over a week and the mail piled up in my mailbox because I didn't have anyone to get it for me. She seemed to have a mini meltdown over it. She banged on my door ranting and raving about how she couldn't get anymore mail in the box and said if I didn't clear it out soon she was going to mark any other piece of mail for me "Return to Sender". I told her I was sick to the point where my balance was off and that was why I wasn't able to get to the box. When a neighbor cleared the box out for me I noticed the mail lady had even put notes about the return to sender stuff in the bottom corner on a couple of envelopes. After that I've never felt guilty about her having to deliver packages to my door.

Other places I've lived and had the mail back up by accident have held mail at the post office and put a notice about it in the box. One sweet mailman knew of my issues and would bring my mail to the door after a week if he noticed the box was getting full. 

Edited by Jaded
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, wings707 said:
On 7/25/2016 at 9:30 PM, Brattinella said:

We tip our mailman 20 bucks at Christmas.

That is a gift, not a tip.  I am all for giving xmas gift, of cash, to those in service that come to our homes all year.  I gift my landscaper, my mail carrier has always varied.   I used to gift my UPS guy when I lived rurally in MA because the same guy always came.  He gave my dogs treats too.  

You quoted this from EIGHT months ago?

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Brattinella said:

You quoted this from EIGHT months ago?

LMAO!  I didn't look at the date!  Threads come up showing the last post you viewed.  I usually register on this and go to the last and most recent page.  Not this time!  I have gotten 'likes' for something I posted last year so I am not alone!  Addled brains love company.  

Edited by wings707
  • Love 9
23 minutes ago, wings707 said:

LMAO!  I didn't look at the date!  Threads come up showing the last post you viewed.  I usually register on this and go to the last and most recent page.  Not this time!  I have gotten 'likes' from something I posted last year so I am not alone!  Addled brains love company.  

Come sit by me, then, because this addled old brain probably gave you some of those "likes".  I'm a fairly fast reader, but even so I cannot keep up with all the forums I enjoy, so I'm often behind the times.  :-)

• Love 7
1 hour ago, backformore said:

My nephew had an interesting  system for his laundry - he used a large hamper/laundry basket.  He washed all his clothes, and put them back in the hamper.  During the week, he got clean clothes to wear out of the hamper, but also put dirty clothes IN the hamper, with the clean.  If he chose something to wear that was questionable, he had a spray bottle of febreeze next to the hamper that he thought solved the problem.  (it didn't)   On laundry day, he washed EVERYTHING that was in the hamper.   It took him a while to realize that there were some items that he was washing every week, even though he never wore them (like his swimsuit in the winter). 

What the hell?

• Love 8