Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: We'll Be Right Back

• Start Topic

On 11/27/2016 at 11:58 AM, bilgistic said:

I've now eaten all my leftovers I brought home from my sister's. I'm sad.

I hate that. I always make broth the weekend after Thanksgiving and make my homemade noodles.  They're a lot of work but so so soooo good. 

Edited by Maharincess
  • Love 4
On 12/1/2016 at 7:53 PM, riley702 said:

Ooh, homemade noodles are the best!

I ALWAYS have people invite themselves to my house for dinner on noodle night.  We actually call them "noonoos" because that's how my daughter said it when she was young.  Like I said they're a total pain in the ass to make but they are so worth it. 

• Love 2

There was a shingles vaccine in previous years for people 60 (?) and over (IIRC). Now there is one for folks 50, called "zosterax "or something that starts with ZOS.... for younger ages. I think it's worth checking into.

On 12/3/2016 at 9:28 PM, Prevailing Wind said:

Over 60, I got the Zostavax vaccine. It's the same thing. They recommend over-60s get it for sure, but over-50s might wanna get protected sooner rather than later.

I'm only 45, but would get vaccinated today if I could. I had shingles about 13 years ago, and it got misdiagnosed until it was too late for me to take the antivirals, so I had to just let it run its course. I wouldn't wish that on anyone. 

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, St. Claire said:

I'm only 45, but would get vaccinated today if I could. I had shingles about 13 years ago, and it got misdiagnosed until it was too late for me to take the antivirals, so I had to just let it run its course. I wouldn't wish that on anyone. 

I was diagnosed in my twenties and when I told my doc that I thought only old people got shingles, he said anyone can get them, even babies. I can't imagine a baby or very young child living with that kind of pain.

• Love 1

Not sure where to put this ... I keep seeing the commercial from Omaha Steaks, with their holiday package of steaks/pork chops/chicken breasts/hamburgers/stuffed potatoes/apple tarts/$50 ... it looks like a good deal. Has anyone ever ordered this? 

Edited by ennui
Tarts, not fritters
10 minutes ago, ennui said:

Not sure where to put this ... I keep seeing the commercial from Omaha Steaks, with their holiday package of steaks/pork chops/chicken breasts/hamburgers/stuffed potatoes/apple fritters/$50 ... it looks like a good deal. Has anyone ever ordered this? 

I got my brother Omaha Steaks back when he was a poor college student and he loved them.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, ennui said:

Not sure where to put this ... I keep seeing the commercial from Omaha Steaks, with their holiday package of steaks/pork chops/chicken breasts/hamburgers/stuffed potatoes/apple tarts/$50 ... it looks like a good deal. Has anyone ever ordered this? 

I haven't, but a friend had received some in the past as a gift.  She was not pleased with most of it.  She said read on Chowhound that the majority of people who commented on them were of the same mind.

• Love 1
On 12/6/2016 at 1:36 PM, peacheslatour said:

I was diagnosed in my twenties and when I told my doc that I thought only old people got shingles, he said anyone can get them, even babies. I can't imagine a baby or very young child living with that kind of pain.

My boyfriend in college had shingles when he was about 9 years old, and you could still see the scars around his waist.  

• Love 2

Yikes, shingles that young! That sucks!

There was some talk about prom and the ridiculousness of asking someone and cost. I know we had to pay for a prom ticket and I was in high school 20ish years ago. And it wasn't cheap. There was not a big deal made out of asking someone, though it's my belief that it's an offshoot of the elaborate marriage proposals that are a thing. (A thing I hate with the fire of a thousand suns, because you should have discussed marriage and a whole bunch of stuff before proposing to the point where it shouldn't be a surprise. WTF?) I'm not a big fan of the need to perform and gain accolades, but it seems to be the thing to do now be it in school or marriage proposals or politics. Doesn't matter that the marriage doesn't last or the politician doesn't know what the job entails, as long as they can stand up and get the cheers from crowds. Blergh.

I should note that I did not go to any of my proms, nor homecoming dances or anything like that. For my senior prom, my two friends and I went to NYC (we lived in a suburban county of the metro area) to see Kiss of the Spiderwoman. Went to the Russia Tea House for dinner. It was a wonderfully memorable time and I'm so glad we chose that. My son, who is very much like me in a many ways, is not interested in any of those dances or pep rallies. My daughter shows the inclination but she's 10 so she has time to grow out of it. She does like to perform but we've channeled that into the local young people's theater group. And she's joined the drama club at school. Son is not so big into performing, but he's joined the high school chorus and has flourished in that atmosphere and environment. So they get the performance stuff out of their system. I have the shower and the car to get it out of my system. 

• Love 6
11 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I graduated in 67, never went to the prom, but...I was recently in a café in Murphy, NC and they had that "World's Finest" chocolate bars for sale by the register - the stuff we knew as "band candy." They were doing a fundraiser for some of the teen employees, still in school. They're trying to raise the $60 per person it costs to go to the prom.  Whaaaa???????? You have to BUY a ticket to the prom?  Before I tell you to get off my lawn, I have to say, even though I didn't go, it WAS free for us (back in my day.)

@Prevailing Wind, I graduated 20 years after you did, and although it didn't cost sixty dollars, we had to pay to go to prom, which was held at a hotel in Raleigh. I think it might have been the Marriott, but its been so long I can't remember without hunting up the pictures. I can totally believe it costs that much and maybe even more in the larger cities.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

@Prevailing Wind, I graduated 20 years after you did, and although it didn't cost sixty dollars, we had to pay to go to prom, which was held at a hotel in Raleigh. I think it might have been the Marriott, but its been so long I can't remember without hunting up the pictures. I can totally believe it costs that much and maybe even more in the larger cities.

Ours was held at The Olympic Hotel in Seattle. Groups were going in on suites so we'd have somewhere to freshen up and possibly drink prohibited beverages. 

2 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Ours was held at The Olympic Hotel in Seattle. Groups were going in on suites so we'd have somewhere to freshen up and possibly drink prohibited beverages. 

Man, I'm jealous.  That place is absolutely gorgeous.  My grandma's class held their prom there as well.  By the time my class came along, I think the school/organizing committee had significantly tightened the purse strings. 

• Love 2

I didn't attend, but I think we had to buy prom tickets as well. 

The Omaha Steak people keep changing their offer. They're down to kielbasa and hot dogs. Since this is the first time I've paid attention, it's amusing. I'll have to wait for next year, when they've stocked up on steaks again.  

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, Silver Raven said:

Our Senior Ball (prom was the Junior Prom, held in the high school gym) was at the Fairmont Hotel in San Francisco.  Big, swanky, dressy place. 

My DH and I went to San Francisco for our 5th wedding anniversary, we stayed at the Raphael which is next door to the Fairmont. I discovered that I had neglected to bring mascara so I ran next door to the Fairmont (for those who don't know, it has all sorts of shops in it.) Twelve fucking dollars for mascara! And this was in 1985. Yikes.

• Love 1

Whaaaa???????? You have to BUY a ticket to the prom?  Before I tell you to get off my lawn, I have to say, even though I didn't go, it WAS free for us (back in my day.)

I have no recollection of how much it was, but I'm all but certain we had to buy tickets for prom; it was in a hotel ballroom, with meal included, so there's no way the school shelled out for that (nor should it, IMO). 

I only went to my junior prom; I decided prom wasn't worth the hassle, and the real fun was at the after party, so better to just skip the hoopla and go to that.

And there was definitely no staged production for being asked (had there been, my answer would have been a resounding no). 

• Love 3
Just now, Bastet said:

I have no recollection of how much it was, but I'm all but certain we had to buy tickets for prom; it was in a hotel ballroom, with meal included, so there's no way the school shelled out for that (nor should it, IMO). 

I only went to my junior prom; I decided prom wasn't worth the hassle, and the real fun was at the after party, so better to just skip the hoopla and go to that.

And there was definitely no staged production for being asked (had there been, my answer would have been a resounding no). 

Right? Usually the guy either just called you or asked between classes.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, frenchtoast said:

... it's my belief that it's an offshoot of the elaborate marriage proposals that are a thing. (A thing I hate with the fire of a thousand suns, because you should have discussed marriage and a whole bunch of stuff before proposing to the point where it shouldn't be a surprise. WTF?)

I have grumbled this exact same thought - complete with the thousand suns - so many times!

• Love 3
13 hours ago, frenchtoast said:

(A thing I hate with the fire of a thousand suns, because you should have discussed marriage and a whole bunch of stuff before proposing to the point where it shouldn't be a surprise. WTF?)

This is exactly how I feel about this.  I feel that in many cases, what's more important to these people is what other people think about the union, not the union itself.

• Love 2
14 hours ago, frenchtoast said:

I should note that I did not go to any of my proms, nor homecoming dances or anything like that. For my senior prom, my two friends and I went to NYC (we lived in a suburban county of the metro area) to see Kiss of the Spiderwoman. Went to the Russia Tea House for dinner. It was a wonderfully memorable time and I'm so glad we chose that.

Ha! I didn't, either, but instead of attending the prom, my friends and I drove out on some lonely country road and got high. Good times. Ahem.

• Love 4
42 minutes ago, Trini said:

And some of us went to parochial school, where prom didn't exist.  :-/

Oh, I can't wait to hear this -- What was evil about prom?  The dancing was a gateway activity to sex?  The crowns bestowed upon prom king and queen led people to covet (or created false idols)?  Damn, I thought I could come up with more, but I can't wrap my mind around this.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Trini said:

Although, I'm not sure teen me would have gone.

I know many(most?)conservative Christian high schools don't have prom but this is the first I've heard of a parochial school not having one.

• Love 1

I had to buy tickets for my prom in 1989, but I didn't do anything elaborate to get a date- yes, I invited a boy (actually multiple boys, since I was not dating anyone and the first two guys I asked politely turned me down)- I just picked up the phone and called. My husband teaches at a private Catholic high school, and he says the "prom-posal" thing is out of control; most of his colleagues agree. For the record, he planned a very nice proposal when he asked me to marry him, but it was far from a spectacle- he hid my ring in the star on the Christmas tree and wrapped up a note in a box for me to open as my gift. I'd just worked a long shift at the department store and was scheduled for another long day the following morning, so he fixed me dinner and we exchanged gifts at his apartment. I was only surprised because of the timing- I figured we'd get engaged sooner or later, but I didn't realize that he'd already saved up the money and bought a ring, so I thought it would happen the following summer. My sister even commented when I called with the news "well, I'm very happy for you, but can you really say you didn't see this coming? It's not exactly a shock that he wants to marry you."

• Love 3

I also don't understand asking your boyfriend or girlfriend to go to prom with you in the first place.  Do you have to ask?  Is there a chance that person would go with someone else?  It seems the question should be "Do you feel like going to prom [at all]," not "Do you want to go to prom with me."

• Love 3
11 hours ago, Trini said:

And some of us went to parochial school, where prom didn't exist.

Neither did they at the science/tech school that I went to, for the practical reason that the boys far outnumbered the girls. They held a fancy dinner instead; no formal attire, just dress up like for church. It was held at a hotel for anyone that didn't want to just carouse in the parking lot.

• Love 3
13 hours ago, Trini said:

Although, I'm not sure teen me would have gone.

I went to an all girl Catholic high school, we had a prom.   The boys Catholic schools also had prom.  So a lot of couples would go to two proms. Proms were not in the gym, gyms were where they held sock hops. Prom was always at a fancy hotel ballroom kind of place. And yeah, you had to buy tickets, how else would it be funded? Dinner, live band, ( none of this DJ crap) it costs money.

This was in the 70s, and you could only attend prom as a couple, no singles allowed. I think things are much better now, where kids go to prom in groups, and don't have to have dates. I hate the promposal thing, though.

• Love 1

None of our school dances were in the gym, it would have messed up the basketball floor and we all know that was more important than any dance! Our dances were in the cafeteria, there was no such thing as having a prom in a hotel! I did attend a Jr. Achievement Ball in a hotel ballroom. I didn't attend either Jr. or Sr. proms. I was sort of dating someone during my Jr. year and he was a Sr. Looking back, I don't think he could afford to go to prom, so he didn't ask, we didn't go. He told me he had a family event that weekend and had to be out of town. Then the day of the prom he called & asked if I could and if I would, go to the local amusement park that night. We doubled with another couple and had the best time! I've never really been sorry. But this was in ancient days, so all you kids better get off my lawn!

I will say that our varsity basketball team went to State and won the State championship my Sr. year. And the school had the same coach for almost 50 years, he knew how to recruit to win. Looking back, I'm not so sure how I feel about that, I think at least in his later years, there were some shady deals going on.

• Love 2
15 minutes ago, friendperidot said:

None of our school dances were in the gym, it would have messed up the basketball floor and we all know that was more important than any dance!

Don't walk on the football field OR the basketball court! You'll tear them up with your "street shoes"!

• Love 5
18 hours ago, bilgistic said:

Even as a 14-year-old, I thought maybe the school needs to look into a better varnish if my knockoff Keds were going to tear up the floor's finish.

Or maybe keeping the hallways cleaner. It's the dirt stuck to the bottoms of the shoes that would have ruined the floor. Some gyms require you to change your shoes, out of concern for what you might have picked up outside, if they don't have a flooring that can take abuse.

• Love 1

When I get a new book  in the series  I start from the first  one  and  read  through  the books till I get to the newest  one

(From the Annoying thread)

I cannot fathom how folks can pick up & read ANY book in a given series.  I have to start at the beginning. I've recently finished the most recent of Louise Penny's novels and started on Randy Wayne White. Someone at work was purging their home & brought in a bunch of books to give away and included were the first five of the Doc Ford series. After I finished them & got #6 from the library, I took the 5 to my brother - turns out, he's read most of 'em, but certainly not in order. He OWNS the first one and hasn't read it yet. <shaking my head in bafflement>

• Love 9