Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: We'll Be Right Back

• Start Topic

35 minutes ago, riley702 said:

I was going to suggest reporting him, but to whom? If his parents haven't figured out he's a little psycho by now, they're either clueless or psychos themselves. 

I know. It's horrible and there's more. The parent/s are never around when the kids are outside - not that I've seen. There are several children younger than this one (who looks about 12) There is a THREE YEAR OLD (or there about) who runs around unattended. 

Cruelty to animals ,isn't that a first step to psycho sometimes? Frankly ,the kid scares me 

I thought about Child Services,..... would I for sure remain anonymous?

Maybe I'm just a nosy bitch, but I'm worried.

• Love 3
59 minutes ago, ari333 said:

We live in a large city, but sort of on the edge. Last week I was driving and I saw a chicken crossing the road (no pun/joke intended) It was just taking its time and meandering across the road

Where we live there are many wooded areas and a creek and large grassy areas. We've seen deer, raccoons, brown bunnies, chipmunks, ducks, many squirrels and all colors and types of birds, including some frighteningly huge hawks and also sometimes some  bats.

There is some cruel kid who throws rocks at the poor, little ducks. Sometimes I hate humans. I've seen the same cruel kid try to sneak up on the squirrels with a baseball bat while they're eating . Luckily they're too fast for him. That kid has future serial killer written all over him and I wont be surprised when he starts a fire at some point.  

57 minutes ago, ari333 said:

We live in a large city, but sort of on the edge. Last week I was driving and I saw a chicken crossing the road (no pun/joke intended) It was just taking its time and meandering across the road

Where we live there are many wooded areas and a creek and large grassy areas. We've seen deer, raccoons, brown bunnies, chipmunks, ducks, many squirrels and all colors and types of birds, including some frighteningly huge hawks and bats.

There is some cruel kid who throws rocks at the poor, little ducks. Sometimes I hate humans. I've seen the same cruel kid try to sneak up on the squirrels with a baseball bat while they're eating . Luckily they're too fast for him. That kid has future serial killer written all over him and I wont be surprised when he starts a fire at some point.  

I hate cruel people. Once we were at Stanley Park in Vancouver and they had Arctic Wolves in pens. These kids were poking them with sticks and their parents just stood there and laughed. They looked like a family of fat hillbillies, probably Americans.

• Love 1

That's horrible. I want to ask people like that how'd they'd like it if they were in a cage and some ass poked them with  stick.  Cruelty comes in all shapes and sizes and places unfortunately . I'm chubby, have hillbilly ancestors, and I'm American. But I love me some animals. We're not all bad *snort* ...and I do snort when I laugh. :-)

Edited by ari333
  • Love 7
22 minutes ago, ari333 said:

I know. It's horrible and there's more. The parent/s are never around when the kids are outside - not that I've seen. There are several children younger than this one (who looks about 12) There is a THREE YEAR OLD (or there about) who runs around unattended. 

Cruelty to animals ,isn't that a first step to psycho sometimes? Frankly ,the kid scares me 

I thought about Child Services,..... would I for sure remain anonymous?

Maybe I'm just a nosy bitch, but I'm worried.

If you're certain about the animal cruelty, you should report that at minimum. If you're not entirely sure about the lack of supervision, that could be a harder decision, but if they were to investigate the animal cruelty by the one child, it may shed light on the rest, especially if the parents might be oblivious to the wrong of their (lack of) actions, they wouldn't be sharp enough to lie or try to cover. So I'd say, if you're genuinely concerned about the welfare of the three year old, report both. If you feel like there's a chance maybe there was an adult watching, just from a location you didn't necessarily have a bead on, report the cruelty, because either: the parents are so absent they don't know, or they do know and they're horrible too if they think that's acceptable. And yes, it is common for phychopaths to have a history of cruelty to small animals as children. It's not a guarantee or anything, but disproportionately: bad bad humans do that.

Edited by theatremouse
  • Love 6
11 minutes ago, theatremouse said:

If you're certain about the animal cruelty, you should report that at minimum. If you're not entirely sure about the lack of supervision, that could be a harder decision, but if they were to investigate the animal cruelty by the one child, it may shed light on the rest, especially if the parents might be oblivious to the wrong of their (lack of) actions, they wouldn't be sharp enough to lie or try to cover. So I'd say, if you're genuinely concerned about the welfare of the three year old, report both. If you feel like there's a chance maybe there was an adult watching, just from a location you didn't necessarily have a bead on, report the cruelty, because either: the parents are so absent they don't know, or they do know and they're horrible too if they think that's acceptable. And yes, it is common for phychopaths to have a history of cruelty to small animals as children. It's not a guarantee or anything, but disproportionately: bad bad humans do that.

Thank you and I agree with everything you said and I thought the same things as you mentioned. I thought surely there's a parent lurking somewhere. Maybe I just don't see him/her. Also, I thought about the rocks at the ducks and the baseball bat sneaking up on the squirrels. I know what I saw; but I thought if I report it, how will they spin it ? I can hear it now. "Oh, a kid cant skip rocks into a creek? A kid cant carry his bat to the yard where he was going to ...umm .. play ball?" I feel like I have no proof except my word and I'd like to know I would be anonymous bc I am scared of the little creep. I'm not super old, but I'm old enough  and I don't need my tires slashed or worse. Maybe I should use the phone to get some video, but I think he'd see me doing it unless I could shoot it through the window without going outside.

Edited by ari333
  • Love 2

I think the idea of video is a good one, and maybe if the little shit knows he's being observed he'll knock it off. Also if you have any kind of relationship with your neighbors you might be able to get them in on it. You know the saying "It take's a village".

• Love 3
39 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I think the idea of video is a good one, and maybe if the little shit knows he's being observed he'll knock it off. Also if you have any kind of relationship with your neighbors you might be able to get them in on it. You know the saying "It take's a village".

Great idea and I tried that with the neighbors already (strength in groups yadda yadda)  with a couple of neighbors who I feel comfy with -not all of the neighbors. The ones I spoke with said that  they want no part of it. They're scared of him too. (which means they HAVE noticed him) Yikes. One is an older gentleman and I get that. He's vulnerable. One is a young woman, 27 ish, with a bf, so I thought she'd help..but no....  her words, "no way, sorry." I feel I need to do something.   I live with my bf here and he said to stay out of it. He's afraid the kid will come after me when my bf is not here which is a lot since he works many hours. I'm 20 yrs older than my bf and he's scared for me when I'm alone.

Edited by ari333
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, ari333 said:

There are two towns nearby that are overrun with feral chickens.  One of them even has an annual chicken fest where they serve fried chicken.  Though I don't think they're the ones from the streets.

In the house I grew up in, the washer and dryer were in the garage.  One day my mother went out to the dryer and reached into the lint trap to clean it out, and she pulled out a very dead, very fluffy mouse.

• Love 4

@ari333, what you're describing sounds like an issue for the police, not DCFS, and if you (and several other neighbors) are truly afraid, I don't think you should wait. There's probably some google-fu you could do to determine the likelihood of their knowing it was you who called. (or the likelihood of the cops caring enough to show up and look into anything). I know, for example although it's not at all the same thing, I was once at a party and the neighbors complained about the volume. Cops showed up and just said "we received a complaint", nothing more, and all they did was ask us to be quieter...which was hilarious because there was no music or anything, just a lot of people...inside...so we actually suspected neighbors may have known there was a party and called the cops hoping to break it up, not because we were actually audible...but I digress.

Point is, this kind of a call, especially absent physical evidence, may at best result in a cop showing up with the intention of just plain making it known that someone noticed and possibly give the kid a talking to that this ain't shit to fool around with. That might actually help. Meanwhile, if they show up and find unsupervised children...it'll go in a whole different direction and have nothing to do with you. But also don't leave the fear element out of the complaint. And if you do have video of actual violence, certainly turn it in.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, theatremouse said:

@ari333, what you're describing sounds like an issue for the police, not DCFS, and if you (and several other neighbors) are truly afraid, I don't think you should wait. There's probably some google-fu you could do to determine the likelihood of their knowing it was you who called. (or the likelihood of the cops caring enough to show up and look into anything). I know, for example although it's not at all the same thing, I was once at a party and the neighbors complained about the volume. Cops showed up and just said "we received a complaint", nothing more, and all they did was ask us to be quieter...which was hilarious because there was no music or anything, just a lot of people...inside...so we actually suspected neighbors may have known there was a party and called the cops hoping to break it up, not because we were actually audible...but I digress.

Point is, this kind of a call, especially absent physical evidence, may at best result in a cop showing up with the intention of just plain making it known that someone noticed and possibly give the kid a talking to that this ain't shit to fool around with. That might actually help. Meanwhile, if they show up and find unsupervised children...it'll go in a whole different direction and have nothing to do with you. But also don't leave the fear element out of the complaint. And if you do have video of actual violence, certainly turn it in.

Thank you for the input. I should clarify that the neighbors said that they wanted no part of reporting anything to anyone, but did not say why. I inferred that they're afraid or don't want to stir something up,or simply don't want to get involved.  Anyway, they refused for whatever reason; but the older dude said that he had seen the things I had seen with the bat/squirrels and the toddler running loose.

Should I call LE about the loose toddler or the cruel kid or both? Should I wait until I have video? If I can get it without making a spectacle of myself. TIA.

It feels good to talk to people about it here.

• Love 2

To answer the above question I am certain about the animal cruelty (the ducks)  ... or attempted cruelty (squirrels). "Attempted" bc the squirrels were too fast for him. He was sneaking up on them from the back and he intended to whack them as far as I could tell . But I don't have proof.

On 10/27/2016 at 1:27 PM, Brattinella said:

A million years ago, when I lived in the mountains, I used to put out bowls of dog food on the deck.  Every night, the troops would arrive, and I was able to view them/photograph them.  Entire families of raccoons, lots of possums, and skunk families as well.  Eventually they came to a truce, and would eat together in relatively perfect harmony.  Quite a sight to behold, from about 1 foot away through the glass. *sigh*

I used to have a cat door so the cats could come into the laundry room and eat. During the winter, I'd leave it closed to the rest of the house to keep the cold out, but the cats could meow at the door and I'd let them in. Anyway, one night, the dog starts going apeshit barking at the laundry room door - I opened it and there were THREE raccoons in there, just going to town on the full bag of cat food that they'd bitten a hole in. I calmly shut the door, let them go out the way they came in, and the cat door has been blocked ever since. They come meow at the front window to come in now. (And I leave food out on the back porch, which I'm sure at least 50% of goes to possums and other assorted critters.)

• Love 3
On 10/29/2016 at 7:50 PM, frenchtoast said:

Cute animal story. The only thing I've got is one of adopted greyhounds start to roo at us when it's time for bed. As in we're hanging out with no intention of going to bed, but he's ready, so everyone has to get upstairs. He'll start in the living room, we'll tell him to go upstairs and then he'll yell at us from upstairs.

My dog does that! I'd be a lot more productive in life if I'd listen to her when she tells me it's time to go to bed, instead of drinking wine and posting on the internet after midnight.

• Love 7

Our cat, who is a standoffish little turd that doesn't like to be petted and WILL NOT let me pick him up, decides when it's time for my Mother to go to bed. He starts crying until she gets up and turns off the lights and he follows her down the hall to her bedroom.

• Love 2

Confessing to our parents is a lot easier when we're thirty than when we were thirteen.

Like Roseanne and Jackie on Roseanne, I like the moment when, upon hearing such a story, the parent briefly pauses to consider whether to get pissed off about something that happened decades ago, or to get over it and laugh it off now that everyone is still alive and all grown up.

• Love 2
On 10/31/2016 at 10:26 AM, ari333 said:

A friend in another town told me about a 9-year-old who killed all of his neighbor's baby chickens.  The neighbor reported it to CPS and the family was visited.  They moved shortly after that so no one knows what happened, whether the child got some counseling.  It does take a village.  Make the call. 

This Halloween I was reminded of something Sadie the Dog did when she was a puppy.  I was sitting on the couch eating a leftover 3 Musketeers.  Sadie picked up her rawhide bone, dropped it in my lap and looked at the candy bar as if to say "Wanna trade?"

• Love 7
On 10/29/2016 at 9:03 PM, AuntiePam said:

My worst roadkill experience -- driving home at night in a dense fog after seeing Hitchcock's The Birds, in a theater.  The fog was so bad that even the wildlife couldn't see where they were going.  I heard thumps for 15 miles as who-knows-what was run over and hit by my car.

Animals crawl onto the pavement at night because it's still warm from sun during the day. They're seeking the warmth.

Ari333, if several people are telling you to stay out of it, I think you should listen to them. You can call CPS or the police and ask them to do a welfare check on the 3-year-old, but honestly, sometimes you need to protect yourself as well as the ducks and squirrels.

Edited by ennui
  • Love 3

I see two scenarios here...

#1 - Ari reports it and the authorities are on alert there's a potential sociopath in the neighborhood. That can't be a bad thing. When the kid *does* escalate to human victims, there's an established pattern. Sorry that somebody needs to get hurt for any corrective action to actually occur, but with precedent with this kid, it should be easier to remove him from society & get help for him.

#2 - The entire neighborhood does nothing. The kid escalates, hurts (possibly kills) a human and the neighbors report, "I always knew there was something *wrong* with that kid," to which the rest of humanity says, "Then why didn't you DO something about it?"

• Love 8
  • Thank you all for the great input. I see all your points and have all those ideas in my head. I .... wait for it.... I FOUND A PAYPHONE . I know they are obsolete around here and I had to go a bit far. I called in the info to the non emergency police number about the running loose 3 yr old and the 12-ish yr old and the animals.
  • I read all your comments and had made a decision to call in anonymously from a payphone, if I could find one. What put me over the edge was this I saw the 12 yr old dragging the 3 yr old by the arm .The child was screaming and his shoulder was all twisted-looking..
  • I called from the payphone and the woman took the info I gave her and then asked my name. All I said was , "I m afraid to give my name."   She said, "I understand. Fine" and that was it. 
  • I spoke up. I'm anonymous as far as I know (unless they / the kid suspects me for whatever reason.)   We'll see what happens, if anything.

I cant get those dots off the post.... weird

ETA:

I guess it's obvious that I didn't want to use my own phone

Edited by ari333
  • Love 13

The final straw for me was .... if the 12 yr old does that to the 3 yr old outside where he can be seen, what does he do to the poor kid inside?

Another tidbit. I hope I'm not boring everyone. There was a Jehovah's witness couple, older husband and wife, who saw me feeding the birds etc and approached me.  I don't divulge any info about myself and I'm not in the market for a new religion. Anyway, they began telling me details about the family.... which family, you ask ? the 12 yr old/ 3 yr old family. I DO NOT KNOW THESE PEOPLE. I don't know the couple OR the family/neighbors about whom they were speaking.  (I only know what I've seen and I've already posted that)  

They proceeded to tell me the father's name, where he works, when he goes to work, WHAT APARTMENT by number they live in and that the mom had died in recent months. I said "I don't know them and this is not my business" and I turned and came back inside .  I already knew what apartment they were in bc I saw the 12 yr old hanging out the window, luring squirrels with peanutbutter. (first floor) He would lure them to the sill, then try to slam the window on their tails. It was horrifying to watch. I know it is him bc when he sees me walking to the car he hangs out the window and waves. *shudder* I wave back.  About the peanutbutter, the kid met me at the mailbox and bragged about it. "They jump up on my window when I put peanutbutter out there" He failed to mention that he tries to slam the window on them 

But still thatcouple had no business  telling me all that, unless they were telling me in hopes that I'd call something in. Maybe they saw things too. IDK. They were kind of aggressive and asking me my name and phone number. I don't like that, so I just came inside to get away..

Edited by ari333
  • Love 6

Good job ari! Hearing that those kids recently lost their mother goes a way towards explaining some of the 12 year old's behavior. I hope the whole family gets some help because if someone doesn't intervene that kid may very well be the next one on top of a water tower taking out random passersby.

• Love 7
13 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Good job ari! Hearing that those kids recently lost their mother goes a way towards explaining some of the 12 year old's behavior. I hope the whole family gets some help because if someone doesn't intervene that kid may very well be the next one on top of a water tower taking out random passersby.

Yes,. I assume the couple was telling the truth and I recallseeing the mom many days going to her car etc. and then I never saw her again. it is sad all the way around. I didn't know she had passed away.  Again, I don't know this family at all except for the one 12 yr old who waves and talks to me when I get the mail. I saw a new woman going in and then seemingly living there, (packing up the kids in the car etc) but again,I thought... not my business (who is living with whom  etc) Wow.I sound like a nosy bitch who needs to get a life :-) I was really worried about that 3 yr old . Bless his heart. Well, I'm worried about all of them really.

At least I feel better that I stepped up and said something The authorities can handle things or ignore, but at least I tried. I don't want to be that person who says after a tragedy, "I knew that kid was messed up" and did nothing til it was too late.

• Love 8

The kid is destructive. The management put in new light fixtures over the doors outside. He has the basketball and aims at the lights. Other times he aims at peoples' cars. He walks on the hoods and trunks and roofs of neighbors' cars. We've had small footprints on our hood.  Cant prove who it was.

There are some decorative shrubs in front. He pulls off the leaves into a messy pile and breaks off the limbs. the shrubs are an empty dead plant by the time he's finished. He gets a stick and beats cars with it; and then he stands and beats the side of the building.  Just stands there beating the corner of the building with a stick.  Not the building he lives in. Ours.....

Edited by ari333
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, ari333 said:

Yes,. I assume the couple was telling the truth and I recallseeing the mom many days going to her car etc. and then I never saw her again. it is sad all the way around. I didn't know she had passed away.  Again, I don't know this family at all except for the one 12 yr old who waves and talks to me when I get the mail. I saw a new woman going in and then seemingly living there, (packing up the kids in the car etc) but again,I thought... not my business (who is living with whom  etc) Wow.I sound like a nosy bitch who needs to get a life :-) I was really worried about that 3 yr old . Bless his heart. Well, I'm worried about all of them really.

Except it isn't nosiness if you think a kid stand a pretty good chance of getting seriously hurt. Whatever issues are going on behind closed doors, its making this boy act out in a violent manner, both towards animals and towards his younger sibling. Today he might be trying to slam a window on a squirrel's tail, but tomorrow it could be something a lot worse.

• Love 8

I was told by management that "kids will be kids" So there's that.

I got more thoughtful and concerned responses here from you guys and thank you all for that.  Seriously. You guys are strangers (in a way) and you cared morethan people right here "in real life". That is awesome and so sweet.

• Love 6
3 minutes ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

Except it isn't nosiness if you think a kid stand a pretty good chance of getting seriously hurt. Whatever issues are going on behind closed doors, its making this boy act out in a violent manner, both towards animals and towards his younger sibling. Today he might be trying to slam a window on a squirrel's tail, but tomorrow it could be something a lot worse.

Thank you. That's how I felt. I was afraid of him knowing it was me and I was anonymous when I called. Frankly he scares me and I'm a grown ass woman. There are two sister siblings older than the three yr old.

I have a clear view of everything.  I feed squirrels on the sill so ny blinds are somewhat open and my computer is by the window I SEE STUFF.

• Love 3
41 minutes ago, ari333 said:

And while I'm whining. I've asked management if they could install cameras to deter some of these things. Nothing has been done.

There are liability issues involved with camera surveillance. The equipment is expensive, and someone has to monitor it. And then if something happens, people sue because they thought the cameras would protect them. 

If someone were walking on my car, I'd move. 

Edited by ennui
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, Brattinella said:

If you call US Wildlife and Game, they WILL do something, I guarantee it.  They are very serious about protecting wildlife and birds.

thank you. I didn't even know that agency existed.  I cant prove that any animal was harmed.....yet... but it wasn't for a lack of trying on his part. (imo)

How anyone can throw rocks at little ducks hurts my heart. And the little fluffy squirrels who have come to trust humans who feed them and run up to humans .... then that jackass with his baseball bat sneaking up behind  them makes me livid.

• Love 3
11 minutes ago, Brattinella said:

I have called the Game Warden on a similar situation.  They really do care, and they will show up.

Do I  just Google Game Warden and my city? I'm a doofus

Edited by ari333
1 hour ago, ari333 said:

And the little fluffy squirrels who have come to trust humans who feed them and run up to humans .... then that jackass with his baseball bat sneaking up behind  them makes me livid.

This is why they tell people not to feed the squirrels. Where I live, it's illegal to feed wildlife.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, bitchin camaro said:

Dear Crate & Barrel ads with the doorbell that sounds exactly like mine - STOP IT, you are freaking out my pets.

And this morning, I had a small epiphany. I work in a children's hospital and we have one little guy who is totally not happy to be a guest. In fact, as one of my coworkers put it: he shrieks like a velociraptor. That was close, but not quite right. When my alarm clock went off this morning, it hit me: THAT's the exact note that kid hits! Right in your ear as you're doing your assessment and vital signs. And my body reacts the same way as it does when that alarm clock goes off way too early, dragging me out of my nice, warm bed.  And that's totally TMI, but at least I'm amused as I head out the door. See you this evening, peeps!

• Love 8

I like cream cheese on bagels, I also like butter on them. I don't eat too many bagels, I kind of prefer English muffins, and Thomas is my favorite, only one family chain of grocery stores in this city carry them and I can't get there because my car was totaled this summer. 

Moose135, probably going to hell with you, you made me laugh and I'm not doing much of that lately. Also, I lived through the 60s and 70s without ever doing acid, it was possible.

Theatremouse, you have my sympathy and empathy. I had to move into my sister's house, several cats, breathing problems, itchy eyes. And they really, really like me. I wish they wouldn't. I hope to move out early next year, looking forward to it. There is one cat that seems to have adopted me, I call her cat in the lap because that's where she ends up, I try not to touch her with my hands because I have to go wash them before I forget and touch my face. And she is the hottest little thing. I'm a dog person, and have never learned about cats because of allergies. Some of my learning has been interesting, but I really do wish they'd stay out of my room. I told one to get out of my room the other day and I swear he sassed me and told me, "I don't want to".

I'm not too crazy about non domesticated animals, I prefer them on the outside of the glass so I can watch them. Many years ago, I would have been terrified to have a bat in the house, I still wouldn't like it, but I have a friend who's a bat rehabilitator, so I'd probably call her for advice, she lives a couple hours from me, so she wouldn't come over. However, there is another bat rehabber near me and I've helped the 2 of them exchange bats, so I have had a couple in my home on purpose. I did peek under the towel, but then covered them back up. They were in a little tent like thing for transport. 

A couple of weeks ago, I was sitting outside with the dogs, one is a lab/shepherd/border collie and the other is a pit bull mix puppy - he has moved on to the farm and I'm happier with him there. Not a euphemism, he really did move to the farm. Anyway, there was a hawk circling the neighborhood, saw him dive, and don't know what the unfortunate prey was, but I was keeping my eye on the dogs. I think they are both too big to be hawk prey, but there are small dogs and cats and non domesticated animals in the neighborhood. 

I forgot, I have a blue jay story. Several years ago, I worked at a museum, there is a restaurant and it has floor-to-ceiling walls overlooking fabulous gardens. A baby blue jay fell out of its nest and one of the kitchen staff adopted it, he chewed up food to feed it until it was old enough to eat a little better, then it began to beg. The bird used to ride on the head of one of the gardeners while he cut the grass. He would land on the outside tables while people were eating, staff fed him, museum patrons were startled. But his greatest trick came in the summer, he would flatten himself against the windows, I guess the glass was cool because of the a/c inside. This also startled patrons. The wait staff was used to it and had to do lots of explaining.

Edited by friendperidot
  • Love 5

Am I the only retail worker who wasn't driven to hate Christmas?  Holiday was always my favorite time of year, and I actually recently went back to my old store after over two years of being done with retail.  I'm really excited to do another holiday season.

I do not advocate shopping on Thanksgiving, or trampling people to death over a TV, but I've never found it to be a worse time to work than any other busy time of the year (back to school, for example).

• Love 2
14 hours ago, janie jones said:

Am I the only retail worker who wasn't driven to hate Christmas?  Holiday was always my favorite time of year, and I actually recently went back to my old store after over two years of being done with retail.  I'm really excited to do another holiday season.

I do not advocate shopping on Thanksgiving, or trampling people to death over a TV, but I've never found it to be a worse time to work than any other busy time of the year (back to school, for example).

I've found it to be a lot worse than any other time of year.  Even back to school - and I worked at Office Max for two years (while also working at Borders, yes, I was crazy).  There are more people, and the closer it gets to Christmas, the more desperate and rude they become.  I worked at several different chains (KMart, Walmart, Rite Aid, Office Max & Borders) and, I have to say, Borders' customers were the worst at Christmas.  Worse even than Walmart.  Maybe because we never had enough staff, even with the Christmas temps we hired, and so many people had no patience and just couldn't wait until an employee finished with the customer before them.  I do have to say, though, that of all the holiday season shifts, Christmas Eve was usually the easiest.  I guess most people had just given up by then.

• Love 1

I only ever worked retail during summers, so I never experienced the Christmas shopping crowd and can't answer.  But if I'd had to listen to Christmas music all day long for weeks (or more), I'd have probably gone crazy.

• Love 2