Type keyword(s) to search

S18.E12: Can't See the Forest for the Trees

Scarlett45
  • Start Topic

Christine throws a 1950s-themed party for her 50th birthday and admits she's dating again; Kody checks out Janelle's new apartment but realizes she's planning a future without him; Meri worries about big changes in her life.

Air Date: November 5, 2023

Reminder: The episode thread is for discussion of the events of THE EPISODE, real time events are considered spoilers and belong in the participant(s)/social media thread. 

• Like 1

I just watched on TLC go, courtesy of my cable subscription.  Such a completely boring episode.  Remodeling the "carriage house," what?  Why is that of any interest, other than the sycophantic buyers of that MLM crap?  Kootie crapping all over Janelle's new apartment, lamenting that he'll never live there?  Like he ever even stayed over at the RV or her old small apartment?  GTFOOH with that BS.  

I'll have more to say tomorrow, I'm sure.  'Night, all!

• Like 23
  • LOL 1

Yeah, I'm not liking Mykelti much any more either. She is trying to be Switzerland probably because if the show falls apart, she will have an option on either split off if there is one....

Please NOOOOO!

• Like 24

I just hope they aren't going to drag Meri and Jannele 's leaving plus the birth of the twins out through yet another season! Sheesh, pretty soon we will be able to repeat word for word right along with them on all the talking heads!

• Like 5
  • LOL 12
  • Love 1

Looks like the show is preparing to dump Kody and Robyn.

Without the drama from Robyn and Kody, you are going to get episode after episode of Christine partying, Janelle gardening, and Meri renovating the carriage house. Without the drama, the show is incredibly boring. Even with the drama, the show is becoming incredibly boring. But without Kody and Robyn to stir the pot, it will be like watching paint dry. Which is what a lot of this latest episode was anyway. 

• Like 9
  • Applause 3
  • Useful 2
  • LOL 2

Janelle's sister and her husband were at Christine's party. She looked like a slimmer version of Janelle. She is very pretty. Janelle mentions her "estate" almost as often as Robyn uses the word safe. I hope that Janelle is socking away a good part of her income in a retirement account because that pile of dirt at Coyote Pass is not going to support her in her retirement. Janelle is 53 and if she is not careful with her money she is going to be working in her 80's. She needs to start by telling Kody and Robyn if they are unable to return the money that she gave them for their $900,000 house she wants his name off of the deed to her lot at Coyote Pass. Then when and if they sell the property she won't have to split the money with Kody.  It may not be a lot of money but it's better than nothing. 

• Like 17
  • Applause 1
1 hour ago, Kellyee said:

Without the drama from Robyn and Kody, you are going to get episode after episode of Christine partying, Janelle gardening, and Meri renovating the carriage house.

And the births.  Don't forget the births.

This turkey is done, stick a fork in it.

• Like 5
  • LOL 6

Anyone know a website that tells us how many more of these episodes are in this season? And if we need a tell all afterwards? You can only stretch this out so far before I give up. 

• Like 4
  • Wink 1
  • LOL 7

I’m trying to imagine customers going into the converted carriage house to shop off the rack and try on leggings. Lol  That’s a mighty fancy design for a backyard thrift store.  And this makes sense how? 🤔

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 17

Brilliant, @laurakaye!

On a different note, any idea what the title of the episode refers to?  They misspelled Forrest - on purpose?  By mistake?  I'm guessing that the "theme" is trees but if that's the case, it should be forest, not forrest.

But clearly the TLC team in charge of this mess is now made up of interns from a local high school doing some sort of project.  My grade:  D (but only because I don't want to crush their creative spirits with an F).

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 20

Janelle on Coyote Pass…..”I don’t know if Kody will ever get his poop in a group.”  😂😂😂

Too much Meri. Too much annoying Jen.

Robyn looks so rough and Kody is a total douche.

16 minutes ago, Orcinus orca said:

Brilliant, @laurakaye!

On a different note, any idea what the title of the episode refers to?  They misspelled Forrest - on purpose?  By mistake?  I'm guessing that the "theme" is trees but if that's the case, it should be forest, not forrest.

But clearly the TLC team in charge of this mess is now made up of interns from a local high school doing some sort of project.  My grade:  D (but only because I don't want to crush their creative spirits with an F).

On my recording, Forest is spelled correctly.  Looks like a typo here.

• Like 9
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1

The high school interns must be taking turns pulling an archaic metaphor out of a hat for the episode titles, because every single one has been along the lines of "can't see forest for the trees, don't put all your eggs in one basket, airing the dirty laundry, writing on the wall, etc."  It's lazy and pathetic.

But I give them a C+ for the constant juxtaposition of a high-energy scene featuring a free and happy sister wife, followed directly by the sad empty shell of Robyn and the duhhhhh caveman stare of Kody.  It's very jarring but I end up laughing out loud.

Edited by laurakaye
  • Like 17
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 4

==duhhhhh caveman stare ofKody.  ==

That’s it! I kept trying to figure out who Kody reminds me of this season ( in appearance only).  It’s the Geico caveman! The Geico caveman was much more pleasant 

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Like 6
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 16

So that was long and boring!  Kody lied so much I thought his nose would start growing and fall off!

I suspect some TLC money is going into the storyline  carriage house.  That's Meri's story.

Christine dancing off into the sunset.  Mikelti thinking she and Tony can take over the show with their twins!  Lol  Sometimes its hard for Tony to put together a sentence.

Why is Janelle hanging around?  Oh I bet until Savannah finishes school.

Robyn dyed her hair.  Not a fan of the darker color.

• Like 13
  • LOL 2

I haven't even watched this episode yet, but decided to check the comments anyway.

And I'm thinking, "Why is everybody talking about last week's episode? Was it a repeat this week?"

I guess that's just how stagnant and repetitive this show has become. 😐

• Like 18
  • LOL 2
20 minutes ago, Kip Hackman said:

And I'm thinking, "Why is everybody talking about last week's episode? Was it a repeat this week?"

Last week was actually worse in my eyes, because almost the whole thing was flashback clips. 

• Like 6
  • LOL 1
2 hours ago, Orcinus orca said:

That was all ME (thinking of the name Forrest and not the location forest)🤣

• LOL 13
16 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

That was all ME (thinking of the name Forrest and not the location forest)🤣

I wondered if Meri had a prospective beau named Forrest hiding in the trees.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 15
2 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I laughed when Robyn said that Mykelti felt safe to tell them about her twin pregnancy first. Lol Since when is that a dangerous thing to do?  They are way too immersed in the term “safe.” It’s odd. Kody used it in an odd way too.

I think “safe” often means something along the lines of “makes me feel good/better about myself” when they use it about themselves. 
in the case of Mykelti, I think Robyn is implying that Mykelti was willing to make Robyn feel good about herself by telling her the news ahead of Christine. 
Defining “safe” with this crew is futile as it a moving target depending on who is using it. 

• Like 16

Now Janelle has a new apartment.  Has anyone counted all the different places they have all lived in over the years?  That would be an interesting statistic.  Another would be how many family meetings have they had sitting in folding chairs and on park benches in the woods?

• Like 13
  • LOL 2
12 hours ago, Adeejay said:

I cannot believe Robyn was crying because they weren’t invited to Christine’s birthday party.  Her husband doesn’t want to see Christine and blames her for breaking up the family, so why would they want to be around her?

Right? My uncle left my aunt and their 5-year-old child weeks before her 40th birthday. Then he was hurt that she didn't invite him to her party. I guess there are a lot of people incapable of seeing how things look from the other person's point of view.

• Like 14
  • Mind Blown 2
  • Sad 4

I was hoping that the producers were moving the storyline along, but nope. Christine's birthday is mid April, so we are going backwards once again since we saw Janelle's birthday which is early May an epi or two ago.

Does anyone know what the ratings are like? I assume if they are decent it is because there is no new programming for most of the shows one would watch due to the writers and then actor's strike.

In any case, Kody's THs are just a repeat week after week. Everything is someone else's fault. This week he laments that Janelle doesn't want him at her new apartment. He really can't stand any woman making the decision that she doesn't want him. All while he makes it clear that Robyn is his one and only. OMG! 

As amusing as it is watching Robyn and Kody complain non stop in their THs, they need to be cut loose. They add nothing to the show. I don't know if Janelle, Christine and kids can carry it (Meri is really a non entity) but the producers need to find out. And move it along. Sheesh. 

• Like 12
  • Applause 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

13 hours ago, Art Of Noiz said:

I liked this episode. Not huge drama, but f-in Mykelti. Told Robyn first, then jumps in front of Christine At. Her. Bday. Party. to announce her pregnancy. 

This was a big WTF! moment to me but I did catch something subtle. Mykelti said she told them 1st and I quote "because I needed help" followed by an awkward laugh.  I translated that to mean $$$$ 'cause let's face it, it for damn sure ain't for child care/babysitting.  The sleep in queen Robyn can't watch her own kids, plus they live hundreds of miles away so it must be financial. Mykelti and Tony are sucking up for that filthy lucre.  What do her and Tony do for a living anyway?!?!

She did tack on another explanation re: morning sickness but that struck me as in addition to needing the other kind of help. YMMV.

WTH does the carriage house need a kitchenette with a huge island w/quartz counters if it is mostly for her clothing business? Seems like that would take up more space and not add enough storage as opposed to setting it up as, oh I don't know, a retail shop w/warehouse storage capabilities. It seems to me she needs a nice customer facing area for online sales and the rest should be dedicated to storage. 

Party was cute! Janelle looked amazing in green.  Aspyn and Ysabel have such gorgeous hair! 

• Like 20
  • Useful 1
41 minutes ago, UsernameFatigue said:

Does anyone know what the ratings are like? I assume if they are decent it is because there is no new programming for most of the shows one would watch due to the writers and then actor's strike.

It has been doing incredibly well and they are seeing some of the highest since its inception. I think it may even be beating TLC's smash 90 day fiance show. Last week I saw Sister Wives briefly in the top 10 watched shows on Max. 

Edited by islandgal140
  • Like 4
  • Mind Blown 7
  • Sad 1
  • Useful 4

Oh I just can’t with Meri and her best friend. It feels so juvenile, like Meri has never had a friend before. And why does the carriage house need a spiffy makeover? Just clean it, put a desk in, boom! Done.

Robyn’s face is like the rictus of death. Her “smile” screams Sad Clown. 

• Like 12
  • LOL 4
52 minutes ago, UsernameFatigue said:

As amusing as it is watching Robyn and Kody complain non stop in their THs, they need to be cut loose. They add nothing to the show. I don't know if Janelle, Christine and kids can carry it (Meri is really a non entity) but the producers need to find out. And move it along. Sheesh. 

Totally agree. I'm enjoying the scenes they aren't involved in just fine. Cut. Them. Loose.

Also, I don't know if someone is intentionally making Kody's face look dirty in his THs, but it does, and it amuses me to no end. He really is a bizarre-looking individual. Definitely not getting better with age!

• Like 10
  • LOL 6

Mykelti is an attention grabber just like her dumb dad. Tony thinks he is quite the stud being able to get his wife pregnant WHILE SHE WAS STILL BREASTFEEDING.  And she CONCEIVED TWINS WITH NO EXTRA HELP!! The fuck?

• Like 3
  • Wink 1
  • LOL 19
51 minutes ago, Quickbeam said:

Oh I just can’t with Meri and her best friend. It feels so juvenile, like Meri has never had a friend before.

It's super cringe-worthy for sure.  They give off "7th graders in the back seat of a car being driven by their dad to their first dance" vibes...all giggles and inside jokes.  There's also a certain way these reality folks talk to each other when they're performing for the cameras - like they're trying extra hard to play off each other and be hilarious.  It's usually a miserable fail, as in this case.

And what's with Meri hating circles?  Who hates circles?  Did she have trouble cutting a circle with her safety scissors in kindergarten or something?

I hope Blair Michael paints the entire carriage house interior in polka dots.

• Like 5
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 12
6 hours ago, MsMalin said:

Was this the Halloween show a week late because Tony looks like a deranged mass murderer. Yikes!

I always think he looks like he’s cosplaying one of the Three Musketeers 

51 minutes ago, laurakaye said:

And what's with Meri hating circles?  Who hates circles?  

She’s just trying to sound quirky and funny but it’s a pretty stupid comment 

• Like 7
  • LOL 7
  • Love 2

I’m wondering if Meri is putting a kitchenette into the carriage house because she plans on living in it when she’s in Parawon… it has an upstairs loft that would make a good bedroom.

Does it have a bathroom or is she planning on a curtain with a couple buckets.

IMG_6950.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 10
7 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I laughed when Robyn said that Mykelti felt safe to tell them about her twin pregnancy first. Lol Since when is that a dangerous thing to do?  They are way too immersed in the term “safe.” It’s odd. Kody used it in an odd way too.

Why tell Robyn first? Christine is her real mom and been there for her. Does she have something against Christine? She did keep trying to make her mom's bday party about her rather than celebrating her mom more. 

7 hours ago, Orcinus orca said:

Stupid is as stupid does. 

• Like 7
  • LOL 4