Type keyword(s) to search

The Golden Bachelor - General Discussion

• Start Topic

These folks are my demographic!

Driving in a convertible at night on a California freeway. Not a good idea. I live in Southern California - land of the freeway. It was amusing when Gerry mentioned more than once "I'm from Indiana. I've never driven on a California freeway." (paraphrasing) Theresa's hair was getting blown all over the place. Poor thing. Not fun. That date would have been fun during the day. Also, you really have to wear a scarf on your head in a convertible when you're blazing down the highway.

He has to keep the numbers for the process but it seems he's really interested in only 3 - 4 of the ladies. Theresa, Faith and Leslie, maybe the blond woman that got the framed photo. I forget her name.

Anyway, I'm enjoying this iteration of The Bachelor. So far. I watched the first few seasons of The Bachelor but stopped watching long ago when it stopped being enjoyable and turned into catfights, jealousy and shallow, vapid people.   

• Like 10
  • Applause 1

It was so cute when Natascha hadn't gotten a rose, and the other lady hugged her , said "I love you. Call me."

These women made friends. I almost don't want there to be a second season of GB, because the standards of the Bachelor and the women would go downhill. 

• Like 12
  • Love 1

I'm sad we don't get to see  more of Natasha.   I loved the Chair Rose Ceremony. lol      She looked great in her 70's hippie outfit and also, it pissed off Leslie, who I don't think i care for.  Whom?   I don't know. Grammar police, have at it... 

Well  I know they have to get their drama from somewhere.   But the wedding dress thing seemed a little cruel.   Oh and the lady who got the framed picture..  please.    That was not his idea.    I think i would have said, well wtf am  I supposed to do with this?   Honestly, unless she  ends up with him, why would she want that?   maybe a group picture, just as a souvenir , but one  of the 2 of them and her in a wedding dress would not be a keepsake.  

The bunk beds -- i think they are fairly standard, on shows like this and as the numbers go down, they will not have to use them but i would have been diving for one of the other beds, that's for sure!   lol  

I also thought the convertible was a jerky thing to do.   Well of course they show her doing her hair.  I felt for her.  the way her hair was whipping around in her face is not fun, let alone ruining her style.   And that was totally purposeful, to see how she would handle it.   You can't complain, or your not a good sport!   

I do not understand the headlight issue.   I am always suspicious of anything that happens on this show.   I think they are manipulated pretty hard, to get the drama and the reactions that they want, for the show.  But I'm not sure how  poorly functioning headlights would do that, other than stress them out.   I am guessing they just follow the crew to where ever they are going, but not having proper headlights on a freeway, and also in a little car like that, is dangerous.   

All in all,  I'm enjoying this.   Looking forward to next week!  

• Like 9
13 hours ago, endure said:

Of course these women might not come away with the guy but they are definitely going to gain some awesome women friends and that is just as special.  

And more willing to put themselves out there to date knowing love can still happen.

• Like 6
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

I would be terrified to drive in traffic like that and it would be twice as bad in that little toy car.  I thought I saw fear on Gerry's face and misery on Theresa's over the hair everywhere.  I never got the appeal of convertibles.

Gerry seems to be looking for the right things in his choices. Just based on looks Theresa would have been my last choice, not that she isn't cute, but in a sea of women with obvious face lifts, hers looks the most drastic.  It's probably new and the jawline will relax a little in time.  Yet, she turned out to be really great, she took the hair disaster with grace, was thinking of Gerry's stress instead of herself, and danced and looked happy with the flash mob.

Was that Joan who was rattling on about her cooking skills?  She was my early pick to win just based on the cast photos, but Gerry doesn't seem that interested and maybe there's a reason.  

I'm not surprised Gerry thought the one in the short dress with the tan and the whitish lipstick was "sexy."  My husband likes that type , too and he's just the same age as Gerry.  I read somewhere that men forever admire the look that was in when they were in high school/college.

image.png.3b03a881d1a42904b83faa4289cd505a.png

I agree on everything, especially the convertable! It is too loud to hold a conversation, sun and wind in your face and hair.  And they aren't very comfortable.

• Like 11

I’m pretty sure they rented that exact same car on the prior season of The Bachelorette. But, that was a daytime date. I don’t think it’s suspect that a classic car might have some wiring issues. But I feel like there should have been some clearer parameters that this is a daytime car. My in-laws are in their 70s and refuse to drive after dark, and actually they started that while still in their 60s. I think the date was a cute idea—especially with the diner—but it does seem that the producers are following their usual routines and aren’t building in any extra considerations for these seniors. Case in point, the bunk beds! Like Natascha said, give them some chairs! But even having the first night cocktail party go all night. Why not start it earlier? I am concerned for them because they already used one of their tamer group date scenarios with the photoshoot. Please don’t break out the bunjee cords and ATVs and roller derby gear. 

• Like 8
  • LOL 3
On 10/3/2023 at 3:32 PM, Sweet-tea said:

He has a way of looking right at the women and truly seeming to listen to them. 

Whereas I see someone just struggling to hear and understand what they're saying. 

On 10/3/2023 at 3:41 PM, Sweet-tea said:

I think Gerry looks younger than 71. I thought he was maybe mid 60s. 

That's only a five-or-so-year difference, and that's well within my margin of error for guessing any adult's age.  If you told me he was 78, I wouldn't disbelieve it.

16 hours ago, JenE4 said:

You were the only one who got a 1:1 photo…because the other bride was busy crying about her deceased husband.

Well, there you go.  I thought she was the one who'd been crying about her deceased husband.  I can't tell some of these people apart.  My hat is off to you, lady with glasses. 

16 hours ago, archer1267 said:

Did anyone else wonder about the non-working headlights on the convertible?? I'm hoping Production had nothing to do with that (here, let's throw Gerry off his game!) That could have gone very wrong.

I don't trust Production as far as I can throw them, but I'm sure it's just a bad electrical connection on an old car.  And really, on a freeway, headlights aren't all that essential.  Better to have them than not, but I'd rather be without them on a freeway than the hills around the Bachelor Mansion.

11 hours ago, EllenB said:
15 hours ago, Quickbeam said:

The car without headlights was a strange tangent. Who puts 70 year olds in a car at night? Give them a driver!

Puh-leeze! I'm in my 70s and everyone I know still drives. You must have confused 70s with 90s - but come to think of it, my mother drove everywhere, even in her late 90s.

I think the "at night" is important. 

You have lucky genes.  Many (even most?) people develop declining night vision as they grow older, just because of the way eyes work.  For example, their pupils don't dilate as much as when they were young, so they can't let in as much light.  And they're slower to react when going from bright to dark, and older eyes are more subject to glare. 

I felt for the guy.  I'm sure he's driven on urban freeways elsewhere, but this was a lot of pressure.  At night, in an unfamiliar car (a convertible, no less) with intermittent headlights, every moment in the car potentially on TV, with a virtual stranger who's having to shout into his hearing aid (which I doubt is on the "eliminate wind noise" setting, which doesn't work anyway).

As for the hair, I just kept seeing Shirley MacLaine riding in that convertible in Terms of Endearment.  (BTW, she was 49 when that movie came out, more than 10 years younger than any of our current combatants.)

Kathy's cheekbones are phenomenal, and she has such pretty eyes.  I'm rooting for her! 

She reminds me of Dr. Phil's wife, with a lollipop head that seems to big for her body and maybe even mincing steps when she walks.  And what's the deal with her looking like a vulture all the time?  I can't figure out if she's slouching her shoulders over, or if her neck is unusually short, like it got pounded down into her torso somehow.  I find it really distracting.

• Like 7
5 minutes ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

You have lucky genes.  Many (even most?) people develop declining night vision as they grow older, just because of the way eyes work.  For example, their pupils don't dilate as much as when they were young, so they can't let in as much light.  And they're slower to react when going from bright to dark, and older eyes are more subject to glare. 

As I have gotten older, my  night vision isn't that good anymore and I'm right near 60. When my manager decided we should work one night shift a week (this department has NEVER worked late unless someone chose to). I explained that some of us who are older have poor night vision. She said "age is no excuse" and pretty much shut me  up.  I can't imagine how it will be in 5 or 10 more years. 

• Hugs 2
  • Sad 6
  • Fire 1

I'm hoping that the convertible was actually being pulled by another car the entire time because if they put someone in their 70s in a car without headlights and told them to drive on the freeway at night, then the production on this show has lost its mind.  

I also felt that the wedding dress photo shoot was cruel.  The other outfits were all more costumey and fun but a wedding dress has significance.  Which I'm sure is what they were counting on but it just seems very ugly and insensitive.  

• Like 17
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
5 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

She said "age is no excuse" and pretty much shut me  up. 

How old is your manager?  Any chance she's younger than you are and has yet to experience it?  If so, I hope she remembers you when she does. 

The only saving grace in your situation is that you're presumably driving on a familiar route, so you don't need to be reading streets signs or looking for addresses in the dark. 

2 hours ago, mishap said:

I'm sad we don't get to see  more of Natasha.   I loved the Chair Rose Ceremony. lol 

I think she found her calling as a "pro-aging coach."  I loved her "they've got chair yoga, they've got chair aerobics..."  I admire lipping off to Production.

I think I would enjoy spending more than a couple of minutes in the company of Natascha, and I'm thinking adding Aunt Chippy might be fun, too.  I find them much more relatable than the ones with fillers and extensions.

• Like 5
  • Applause 4
  • Love 1
10 minutes ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

How old is your manager?  Any chance she's younger than you are and has yet to experience it?  If so, I hope she remembers you when she does. 

The only saving grace in your situation is that you're presumably driving on a familiar route, so you don't need to be reading streets signs or looking for addresses in the dark. 

I think she found her calling as a "pro-aging coach."  I loved her "they've got chair yoga, they've got chair aerobics..."  I admire lipping off to Production.

I think I would enjoy spending more than a couple of minutes in the company of Natascha, and I'm thinking adding Aunt Chippy might be fun, too.  I find them much more relatable than the ones with fillers and extensions.

She is about younger. I don't know her exact age but I would say about 25 years younger. She also likes to come in late and stay late. I guess she was aghast to hear that some of us older people get up at 5am on a regular basis. If we have to call in to her that we are sick, we can't bother her before 7:30am. That is another thing.... when I was younger, I could sleep til noon, now I'm happy to sleep in to 7am. 

And yes, I do know my route fine but it can still be tricky. 

10 minutes ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

We have chair aeorbics DVDs at the library. 

Edited by libgirl2
  • Like 2
  • Useful 1
On 9/30/2023 at 12:01 PM, JenE4 said:

Okay. I think I’m starting to realize regional accents are throwing off the pronunciation of Gerry’s name—in addition to the odd spelling. I’m reading these articles with him saying it’s pronounced like Gary—but they apparently don’t say Gary the same way in the Midwest as I do here in NJ. Here’s Jesse introducing Gerry as GAH-ree, the way I say Gary. But then Gerry comes in with the schwa saying, “Hi, I’m geh-ree.” So I will call this man geh-ree in my mind. He does basically follow the phonetic pronunciation of Gerry…but just with a hard G.

https://youtu.be/bfUpo6RcHEg?si=qml6WtrkeG_HuiyA

I know I'm late, but was catching up on some posts, and wanted to weigh in on this.  I am from Rhode Island, but have lived in Pennsylvania for the last 10 years.  I run into this a lot.  For instance, my niece Clara.  Everyone here says Clair-a.  Since her parents pronounce it like that, I've tried to adapt, but in the beginning I always said Clah-Ra, with the first A being like the A sound in the word "bat".  I think you're right that it is a regional thing. 

• Like 4
4 minutes ago, Miss Bones said:

I know I'm late, but was catching up on some posts, and wanted to weigh in on this.  I am from Rhode Island, but have lived in Pennsylvania for the last 10 years.  I run into this a lot.  For instance, my niece Clara.  Everyone here says Clair-a.  Since her parents pronounce it like that, I've tried to adapt, but in the beginning I always said Clah-Ra, with the first A being like the A sound in the word "bat".  I think you're right that it is a regional thing. 

My mom had a friend named Clara. People pronounced it both ways. She is Dominican, so Hispanic friends said Clah-ra and the others said Clair-a 

• Like 2
1 minute ago, libgirl2 said:

My mom had a friend named Clara. People pronounced it both ways. She is Dominican, so Hispanic friends said Clah-ra and the others said Clair-a 

I use Clara as an example, but it is a lot of words like that.  Don't want to get in trouble for getting too off topic, but the one I struggle most with is when they use the A sound like in the word "Bat" with a name like Anna.  Instead of saying Ann-a they say Ahh-na.  My mouth is seriously incapable of forming the word like that!

• Like 1
  • LOL 3
25 minutes ago, bankerchick said:

I've never watched an episode of any of the Bachelors but this one was in my demographic so I thought I'd check it out.  I find Garry quite handsome and he seems very sweet.  I enjoyed the first episode so much I told friends to tune in.

I have to say that after watching the second episode, I don't get it.  So, he picks one woman to go on a date, then after that, they pick a theme, like a garden party with costumes, and he talks to some of the women, then he hands out roses?  I'm guessing he probably talked to everyone.  I saw one woman in the 'waiting for the rose' scene that I'm sure has never been on camera before, so it was easy to figure she wouldn't be picked.  How does he pick who to go on a date with?  Is there only one date per week?

I know I shouldn't make fun of someone having an emotional moment, but I couldn't help rolling my eyes when the one woman said, 'I haven't had a wedding dress on for 38 years' as if the rest of us wear one weekly.

In the regular Bachelor/bachelorette, the episodes are two hours long and there are more contestants.   There are usually 2 individual dates and a group date so the lead can interact with as many people as possible.  Producers organize what goes on during the dates and the lead just gets some input into who gets the 1-1 dates.  even with rose giving, as I understand it, the lead usually has some favourites and the producers may get him to give out roses to a couple of folks who will cause a lot of drama which they think is good for ratings.  

• Like 3
  • Useful 1

My bit on Faith in as nice as a way possible.  I think she was too eager to stand out the first episode.  She pulls up on a motorcycle, ok she's the 'cool youthful chick'.   Later she pulls out the guitar.  Ok, a talent!  But then, she sings a song to him. A singer and a musician!  Perhaps she could have saved some of these actions for a later episode, you know, leave some mystery?  

As a result in the 2nd episode, she was worried he had forgotten about her and kept saying, "I had the first impression rose, what happened?" It was a bit eye-rolling.  

• Like 6
  • Applause 4

This is such a fun, light, sweet version of the Bachelor/ette franchise. The women are very endearing and it's a nice change from the cattiness. And Gerry seems very sincere.  

I'm already going to set my prediction. (please beware of spoilers under the tag) Based off of the promo for the season - who it appears Gerry is walking into the sunset with during the final rose ceremony, combined with a spoiler I accidentally saw for his Final 3,

Spoiler

I think Gerry picks Leslie, the dance/fitness instructor who apparently once dated Prince. I was, and am still hoping, it's Theresa. But I guess we'll see. 

• Like 7
19 hours ago, EllenB said:

Puh-leeze! I'm in my 70s and everyone I know still drives. You must have confused 70s with 90s - but come to think of it, my mother drove everywhere, even in her late 90s.

I said “at night”. We start to lose our ability to recover from glare at 40. I oversaw medical issues for a state DMV for many years. I’m in my 60s, of course still driving but limit night driving. 

• Like 14
9 hours ago, Snapdragon said:

I also felt that the wedding dress photo shoot was cruel.  The other outfits were all more costumey and fun but a wedding dress has significance.  Which I'm sure is what they were counting on but it just seems very ugly and insensitive.  

The wedding dress did have more significance but she admitted she chose it over the other options.

It's not like all of these women are widows.  Many of them are divorced. The other women in a wedding gown seemed okay with it.

• Like 3

I love the premise of this show.  Being older myself, I wonder how I would fare in a competitive dating situation.   Are they going cheap for The Golden Bachelor?  Dinner at a diner?  Not even a sandwich -  just fries and a milkshake?  Also, I think Gerry wears a toupee, and you could really tell from the side shots at the Rose Ceremony.  I thought he did, then they had a scene in the Corvette where you could see the back of his hair blowing up in the wind, and then at the Rose Ceremony, again, it was quite obvious.  I think they had a stand-in for the "wind in the hair" shot because it wasn't the same color.  I had to watch it a few times.  I do hope they will have a Golden Bachelorette.  

• Like 1
  • Useful 3
  • LOL 4
3 hours ago, SkateQueen said:

Are they going cheap for The Golden Bachelor?  Dinner at a diner?  Not even a sandwich -  just fries and a milkshake? 

I noticed that as well. Not a real meal, not to mention a glass of beer or wine (I know diners don't typically offer that).

It occurred to me, maybe some of the women (or even Gerry, I haven't really paid attention) have given up alcohol for any number of reasons. 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, SkateQueen said:

I love the premise of this show.  Being older myself, I wonder how I would fare in a competitive dating situation.   Are they going cheap for The Golden Bachelor?  Dinner at a diner?  Not even a sandwich -  just fries and a milkshake?  Also, I think Gerry wears a toupee, and you could really tell from the side shots at the Rose Ceremony.  I thought he did, then they had a scene in the Corvette where you could see the back of his hair blowing up in the wind, and then at the Rose Ceremony, again, it was quite obvious.  I think they had a stand-in for the "wind in the hair" shot because it wasn't the same color.  I had to watch it a few times.  I do hope they will have a Golden Bachelorette.  

Even the “dinner dates” you’ll notice that they’ll have a plate of food in front of them, but they won’t actually let them eat the food on camera. They feed them off camera first so it doesn’t mess with the audio and editing continuity. So, for instance on some of the longer dates you’ll see them do some activity during the daytime, then after dark they walk into a fancy dinner in different outfits and sit in front of plates of prepared food they do not touch. It’s during that off-camera time while they’re getting ready for dinner that they’ll actually eat dinner.

• Like 4
  • Useful 2
17 minutes ago, JenE4 said:

Even the “dinner dates” you’ll notice that they’ll have a plate of food in front of them, but they won’t actually let them eat the food on camera. They feed them off camera first so it doesn’t mess with the audio and editing continuity. So, for instance on some of the longer dates you’ll see them do some activity during the daytime, then after dark they walk into a fancy dinner in different outfits and sit in front of plates of prepared food they do not touch. It’s during that off-camera time while they’re getting ready for dinner that they’ll actually eat dinner.

I will always maintain the best dinner date ever was Canadian Daniel and whatshername on BiP.  Meals delivered to the table.  Dancers in “native” costumes rush in and carry off the woman.  Daniel watches, shrugs, pulls her plate in front of him and starts eating both meals.

To bring it back to this episOde, doesn’t look like they got much to eat but the flash mob looked fun.  

• Like 1
  • LOL 9
6 hours ago, SkateQueen said:

Yes on Gerry’s hair.  I’m wondering if the women with all the long hair are wearing wigs.  

• Like 2

After this episode I'm starting to get a slightly icky feeling about the situation. This demographic is so different than a group in their 20's and 30's, many of whom I suspect are more interested in being on TV and hopefully reaping the benefits and perks that notoriety has brought some others in the past, or they fall into the model/actor category of individual with no real career to speak of, etc. This franchise features  truly adult women of a certain age and era who have already lived and loved through a lifetime of experiences and are now alone and legitimately hoping to find a partner. The opportunities at this stage to find someone age appropriate with sincere intentions is slim. Gerrys are far and few between. Watching their faces during the rose ceremony was painful, heartbreaking even, because the hope and longing was so evident as was the crushing blow for those not picked to continue. I prefer my reality TV to be snark fodder and this is veering into a whole lot of genuine sadness.

4 hours ago, silversage said:

I would love to see a clip of them getting up in the morning. The aches and pains and hobbling for coffee/breakfast.

My aunt used to liken herself to the illustration of the evolution of humans because it took several steps after getting up before she was able to walk upright.

15 hours ago, Quickbeam said:

I said “at night”. We start to lose our ability to recover from glare at 40. I oversaw medical issues for a state DMV for many years. I’m in my 60s, of course still driving but limit night driving. 

Another issue is cataracts which start years before they actually require surgery but could still have a miserable effect on night vision while driving for a lengthy period before that time comes. My husband was only in his early sixties when his required surgery and the main reason he knew he had a problem was because he had trouble with the glare of oncoming headlights when driving at night.  

• Like 15
1 hour ago, ichbin said:

After this episode I'm starting to get a slightly icky feeling about the situation. This demographic is so different than a group in their 20's and 30's, many of whom I suspect are more interested in being on TV and hopefully reaping the benefits and perks that notoriety has brought some others in the past, or they fall into the model/actor category of individual with no real career to speak of, etc. This franchise features  truly adult women of a certain age and era who have already lived and loved through a lifetime of experiences and are now alone and legitimately hoping to find a partner. The opportunities at this stage to find someone age appropriate with sincere intentions is slim. Gerrys are far and few between. Watching their faces during the rose ceremony was painful, heartbreaking even, because the hope and longing was so evident as was the crushing blow for those not picked to continue. I prefer my reality TV to be snark fodder and this is veering into a whole lot of genuine sadness.

My aunt used to liken herself to the illustration of the evolution of humans because it took several steps after getting up before she was able to walk upright.

Another issue is cataracts which start years before they actually require surgery but could still have a miserable effect on night vision while driving for a lengthy period before that time comes. My husband was only in his early sixties when his required surgery and the main reason he knew he had a problem was because he had trouble with the glare of oncoming headlights when driving at night.  

That makes sense about cataracts. 

I have to say, Theresa has grown on me. She makes me smile.

• Like 6
1 hour ago, ichbin said:

I prefer my reality TV to be snark fodder and this is veering into a whole lot of genuine sadness.

I feel the same way.  I don't watch entire episodes, I just peek in once in a while.  I'm just curious about his choice at the end.

• Like 5
On 10/6/2023 at 12:05 PM, Snapdragon said:

I'm hoping that the convertible was actually being pulled by another car the entire time because if they put someone in their 70s in a car without headlights and told them to drive on the freeway at night, then the production on this show has lost its mind.  

That’s what I thought they way it would be done. Then again being pulled on an LA freeway is scary too  

• Like 2

Don't worry too much about the driving scenes being dangerous. The Corvette has a car behind whose job it is to keep Gerry in front of them, but hang back enough so that they don't appear to be too prominent. You can see them back there approaching when Gerry initially pulls left out of the driveway with Theresa. Then they have 3 Go Pro cameras in the car. One behind Theresa pointing at their backs and  two on the inner windshield pointing back at their fronts. The Corvette is not being towed. There is a camera  truck driving in front of the Corvette shooting backwards at them. They are protectively boxed in front and rear the entire drive. All Gerry has to do is follow the lead camera truck. The shot of them following the tractor trailer was probably taken from the lead camera truck looking forward to simulate Gerrys point of view of the road ahead. Accidents can always happen, but this keeps the talent as safe as possible.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 2
  • Useful 12

But even with the lead car, the following car, all the Go-Pros, putting a 71 year old man in a convertible with sketchy headlights and 1950's lap belts only, at night on an L.A. Freeway was not smart, and we could see the anxiety on Gerry's face.

This is the Golden Bachelor equivalent of all the bungee jumping and cave diving antics they pull on the regular Bachelor franchise.  

Instill fear, which increases adrenaline.  Shared fear + shared adrenaline increase = false sense of closeness.  Next stop:  Two straws in one milkshake + tears.

• Like 9
  • Applause 3
  • LOL 4
7 hours ago, aqusdealer said:

Don't worry too much about the driving scenes being dangerous. The Corvette has a car behind whose job it is to keep Gerry in front of them, but hang back enough so that they don't appear to be too prominent. You can see them back there approaching when Gerry initially pulls left out of the driveway with Theresa. Then they have 3 Go Pro cameras in the car. One behind Theresa pointing at their backs and  two on the inner windshield pointing back at their fronts. The Corvette is not being towed. There is a camera  truck driving in front of the Corvette shooting backwards at them. They are protectively boxed in front and rear the entire drive. All Gerry has to do is follow the lead camera truck. The shot of them following the tractor trailer was probably taken from the lead camera truck looking forward to simulate Gerrys point of view of the road ahead. Accidents can always happen, but this keeps the talent as safe as possible.

with no seatbelts, so no, not as safe as possible...  things do happen even with the best of plans

• Like 4
2 hours ago, cinsays said:

with no seatbelts, so no, not as safe as possible...  things do happen even with the best of plans

Of course. That's why I ended the post wih:

"Accidents can always happen, but this keeps the talent as safe as possible."

• Like 5
53 minutes ago, nlkm9 said:

random question, but who is and what happened to the chicken lady who smacked her butt?

I truly disliked her. thanks

She's still there. Her name is April. She's the one who was there comforting Nancy who had a mini-breakdown wearing the wedding dress. I didn't like her the first week either, but she's toned down a little bit. She did, after all, make the wiener comment.

• Like 5
11 hours ago, Starlight925 said:

This is the Golden Bachelor equivalent of all the bungee jumping and cave diving antics they pull on the regular Bachelor franchise.

I chuckle every time I think about driving at night for the golden set being the equivalent of bungee jumping for young people.  It's so true.

• Like 1
  • LOL 12

Looking at some of their bios. Is the woman who once dated Prince going to be happy settling down with Gerry?

People say he is so attentive, or is it because he can't hear so he makes sure to look at their faces so he can read their lips?

Wanted to throw a bone to the other Wrong Reason watchers like myself, but everybody is being so nice on this show it's making it tough. 

• Like 4
  • LOL 10

People say he is so attentive, or is it because he can't hear so he makes sure to look at their faces so he can read their lips?

Wanted to throw a bone to the other Wrong Reason watchers like myself, but everybody is being so nice on this show it's making it tough.

I'm trying--I said upthread that I didn't see attentiveness but instead struggling to hear and understand them.  (I'm not sure if he's reading lips--it's actually kind of hard to do when you're up real close.)

• Like 2

Susan looks like she borrowed her neon dress from Jersey Shore's Snooki 😄! I love that she did Theresa's hair for the date though- you'd never see that in a standard season of The Bachelor! Those 20-year-old contestants will do anything for a leg up in the competition and would probably hide the one on one's blow dryer and volumizing spray.  I wonder what Gerry whispered into Leslie's ear?   "I've got an AARP discount at Carrabba's Italian Grill" "Your hearing aids would look good on my nightstand" 😉

Edited by Hip-to-be-Square
  • LOL 23

Finally got to see the show….

I see the final ladies as follows; Theresa, Faith, Leslie, Edith, Ellen and Nancy. 

Theresa – Dammit, she and Gerry made me cry, my tough gal rep was shattered!  She might not be the prettiest, but she has such a beautiful soul and I could see the two of them together.  Only thing that ruined it was that damned Journey song, GAH I hate that song!

Faith – she was cute in the beginning but she’ll have to tone down the insecurity….honey, he’s gonna romance all the other girls just sit tight, he’ll be back to you.

Leslie – I see her as a ‘fun’ gal, not someone that’d be with Gerry forever.  He’s likely thinking the same thing.  I didn’t know both of them were wearing hearing aids.

Edith – She was the beautiful one wearing the golden gown on the first eppy.  Hoping to see more of her, she looked hot in her white wife beater with the black scarf on her neck.

Ellen and Nancy – They were very sweet talking about their departed husbands and no, I wasn’t crying again!

Kathy looks like Caitlyn Jenner too much for me to take her seriously.

Still not a fan of April though she did look beautiful at the rose ceremony.

Finally, Gerry has a Kermit the Frog type of voice.

• Like 8
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2
On 10/6/2023 at 5:59 PM, bequialife said:

My bit on Faith in as nice as a way possible.  I think she was too eager to stand out the first episode.  She pulls up on a motorcycle, ok she's the 'cool youthful chick'.   Later she pulls out the guitar.  Ok, a talent!  But then, she sings a song to him. A singer and a musician!  Perhaps she could have saved some of these actions for a later episode, you know, leave some mystery?  

As a result in the 2nd episode, she was worried he had forgotten about her and kept saying, "I had the first impression rose, what happened?" It was a bit eye-rolling.  

I called such BS on her little woe-is-me speech in the 2nd episode, when she was saying something about how everyone else is so fancy and she's just a jeans-and-tshirt kind of gal. It's such false modesty, and is actually veiled (or not so veiled) humble bragging.

On 9/28/2023 at 9:37 PM, archer1267 said:

But damn if he didn't get frosting on his lips and get Teresa (?) to lick it off. 

I thought that whole thing was truly weird. It's not that he got Teresa to lick the icing off...it's that Teresa gave him the cake and she intentionally chose to go in for a kiss while he still had the cake in his mouth!

On 10/7/2023 at 7:44 AM, JenE4 said:

Not only that about the food, but also if they are having a dinner of any kind, they will be the only ones in the restaurant, or it will be in a secluded place where they are the only ones (unless the whole point is to be in a fun public place). When they went to the diner, with all those other people, I immediately wondered what was up. I used to wonder why they did that, with the not-eating and no one else around, until I watched Love is Blind and Married at First Sight, both of which had couples and family/friends eating in public restaurants, and it was genuinely distracting, between the sounds of all the other patrons and the spectacle of watching someone eat and try to carry on a TV-worthy conversation at the same time!

On 9/29/2023 at 11:09 PM, StatisticalOutlier said:

I was gonna say "me too" but realized you said you have gray hair at the roots.  How does that work? 

Or, wait.  Are you joking?  The gray hair you have is whatever has grown out since the last time it was dyed?

Sorry for my confusion.  But I'm 66, too.  I've never dyed my hair and I have very little gray hair, just barely sprinkled around. 

Yes, the gray comes in at the roots some number of weeks after you've dyed it, and the rest of your hair stays roughly the color that it was dyed for much longer.

• Like 4