Type keyword(s) to search

The Golden Bachelor - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I relate to Chippy snoring away on a tucked-away couch. It’s past Gerry’s bedtime, and it would be past mine, too. Hell, I’m hoping to make it through Paradise on next.

Edited by JenE4
  • LOL 9
1 minute ago, JenE4 said:

I relate to Chippy snoring away on a tucked-away couch. It’s past Gerry’s bedtime, and it would be past mine, too. Hell, I’m hoping to make it through Paradise on next.

I'm usually fast asleep by 9. 

• Applause 4

Matt’s mom didn’t make it. She didn’t stand out at all and hope they’re not going to make her the next golden bachelorette. Bring on some Journey for Gerry’s journey. Well that’s sad that Roberta didn’t live to see her friend in the show. 

Edited by dizzyd
  • Like 6
  • Sad 3

I haven't watched the Bachelor/ette in years, and this was refreshing. I took umbrage at a local news show doing a segment about a watch party at a nursing home (!) - I'm 55 and I bet there are a lot of people watching this season. These older women were a hella lot more physically active than I am! 

Chicken Lady was odd and it's a...bold move to give a guy a calendar of yourself. I didn't understand what the deal with the track suit was. Faith (guitar) reminded me a bit of Juliette Lewis with a couple of decades behind her.

When Gerry started crying over his late wife I thought uh oh, how's he going to deal with being on this show? But damn if he didn't get frosting on his lips and get Teresa (?) to lick it off. 

• Like 4
  • Love 2

It’s been a while since I tuned into a Bachelor or “ette” season, maybe the last 3.. I can’t remember. I just had to tune in for this one though! So far I like it and the people and Gerry. There is a whole new level of thirst in the women of this older group. Maybe because they feel like it is their last chance in this lifetime to meet a nice and handsome man and fall in love. 

According to my notes heeheehee, I also notice he picked 12 out of 13 of the first people out of the limos. Then they flew through the introductions after about the first half dozen. If you blinked, you missed the name and ages and who they were and what they did, except for the ones with the big gimmicks of course.

I don’t think Gerry is the kind of guy that feels too comfortable with a pushy woman and there are plenty here. I think Edith, the first one is a contender, and I think Marina is very shy, pretty and has the kind of smile which reaches the eyes, that Gerry said he is looking for. 

Faith on the motorcycle who got the first impression rose, did make a big impression , but I think she is also going to be too pushy.

I heard him give a rose to a Peggy? I don’t remember seeing her entrance, I must have blinked. 

A lot of these ladies seem desperately needful to make a connection with him. Very few are playing it cool. He is of the age where it is going to break his heart (as shown in the previews) to have to reject all but one of these women in the end. 

There sure is going to be a lot of drama with real feelings on display here, with these women and man who I have the feeling, are going to be giving us a more realistic show than so many of the past B/B’ette seasons. They have all been there, done that, and have no qualms about showing and going for the Full Monty. 

So far I think Gerry has been a real good pick for the first ever Golden man. I think every single one of those ladies do too. So far at least. I believe it’s going to be a lot more emotionally charged than any of the younger seasons. 

• Like 12
  • Love 1

These Gerry-atrics ** (see what I did there? 😊) are a hoot! I liked Granny with the Walker, haha! And WTH did the Black woman say that was obscured?! 

It is a tad depressing for me, though, to see all these fit old broads,  as at 73 11/12, my weight is inversely proportional to my hair.

(And I don't have much hair! 🤫😄)

**ETA: Wait, what? He pronounces "Gerry" as "Gary"? Never mind (tm Emily Litella). 

ETA 2: First 🌹 goes to a brunette with "a beautiful voice" who makes Ole Gerry/Gary "feel special."

Mes amis, this is a man who married his high school sweetheart. Early and decisive.

I think we have seen not only the First Impression 🌹, but also the Final 🌹💍.

Edited by LennieBriscoe
  • Like 6
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 11

I've never watched a Bachelor/ette show ever, so this was new for me.  I knew the premise from my kids, so I knew what to expect, but I'm confused as I couldn't remember any of the women's names.  Some seem a little desperate, some seemed quite camera-hungry and others just seem to be there for the right reason.  I hope I enjoy it more, but seeing the coming attractions, I think I might not be so crazy about it.

I did like the fact that they didn't try to hide some of the issues that we "older generation" face - hearing aids, 

I really want to know what happened with Aunt Chippy (I must have missed it), as I don't think she got a rose!  I love her - I watch her youtube videos constantly, and she is a hoot!!  

All of these people, including Gerry, look absolutely phenomenal!  But, you could clearly tell the women who have an longstanding relationship with botox, fillers and teeth whitening vs. those who may have gotten a few little "tweaks" before appearing on the show.  Gerry, also, looks like he may have had a few tweaks and botox shots, but he is one handsome guy!!  I'm surprised the local divorcess/widows in his part of Indiana haven't been knocking on his door delivering casseroles and offering to spend time with him.

Edited by njbchlover
  • Like 14
  • Wink 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

The end when Jessie woke up Aunt Chippy and she said "did I get a petal"

My husband - he many times are you going to watch that

Me - Yes

I don't see anything wrong with how these women choose to present themselves. I tell everyone I'm not going down without a fight. Not everyone wants to age the same and I hope this doesn't bring out the how women should look at a certain age commentary. Whenever someone tells me "I don't need all that stuff because my skin is beautiful" I always reply "well that means it's working."

• Like 8
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, Salacious Kitty said:

She "fell asleep" on a couch. Jesse "woke" her up, and told her she didn't get a rose. 

Awww....I would have liked to see Aunt Chippy hang around for at least one more week, if for nothing but a comedic commentary.  

• Like 8
6 hours ago, njbchlover said:

I've never watched a Bachelor/ette show ever, so this was new for me.  I knew the premise from my kids, so I knew what to expect, but I'm confused as I couldn't remember any of the women's names.  Some seem a little desperate, some seemed quite camera-hungry and others just seem to be there for the right reason.  I hope I enjoy it more, but seeing the coming attractions, I think I might not be so crazy about it.

For never having seen a Bachelor/ette show before, you have perfectly articulated the overall theme: “being there for the right reasons” vs the “wrong reasons” you stated.

• Like 5
  • Applause 2

I found very interesting the Intro showing Gerry’s first love "journey" from high school to ER, you might say. As a widow I found his emotional honesty a plus.

On a shallow note, I liked seeing how Gerry has gone through different "looks" over the years, currently settling on Silver Fox! 

(I also can't help but wonder  what "bacterial infection" his wife contracted that killed her so fast!)

• Like 5
  • Sad 1
  • Useful 2

I’m 56, my husband died 7 years ago and I have not dated since. I’m not sure I could handle this being my first forey back into dating where I was literally competing with 20 other women. I’m inspired by these ladies courage to put themselves out there.
And Gery seems way too nice for the brutality of what’s to come in having to get rid of these ladies one by one. I haven’t watched any Bachelor show for years but I’m in! 

• Like 9
  • Hugs 9
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2

Did that one lady say the F word that was bleeped out? I don't like that, it isn't funny. I am glad that otherwise there weren't many veiled sex references. 

I am 67 and my one vanity is dyeing my hair. I haven't had Botox or any plastic surgery. I am lucky to be holding up well, that is what people say. My face that is, my figure is nothing to brag about. 

I liked the contestants who look & act natural, not the ones who act "sassy & brassy" or fix up to show everyone they've "still got it". 

• Like 13
  • Applause 2
8 minutes ago, sadie said:

I’m 56, my husband died 7 years ago and I have not dated since. I’m not sure I could handle this being my first forey back into dating where I was literally competing with 20 other women. I’m inspired by these ladies courage to put themselves out there.
And Gery seems way too nice for the brutality of what’s to come in having to get rid of these ladies one by one. I haven’t watched any Bachelor show for years but I’m in! 

He was in tears saying goodbye to some of them, it isn't going to get any easier. 

• Sad 6

I’m loving the show and the Bachelor.  I do have to look away tho, when they do the open mouth kissing on tv.   Good for the ones that can still wear the hi spiked heels.   I can’t anymore.   They all looked great, and I really like the Bachelor.   I’m sure there will be a Bachelorette soon too, hope.

• Like 6

I liked the eppy, though I don’t find Gerry attractive at all…I’ma sucka for a tall, bald, blue-eyed goatee or beard fella.  But it ain’t about me, sooooooooo….

I think the final ladies will be Jeanie, Faith and Edith (the first lovely with the gold dress).  I’m surprised the Caitlyn Jenner/Nancy Pelosi lookalike in the blue gown made it over Matt James’ mama.  Sandra, the one in the red dress who was 75 yet had guns like Angela Bassett in What’s Love Got to Do with It?  Holy shit, she looks 45!  Though her sailor language probably won’t get her far.

Didn’t find April funny, maybe share the screwball further into the game honey.

Jimmy Kimmel’s cousin was hilarious.

Finally saw what pickleball is, wouldn’t that be paddle tennis?

• Like 8
  • Applause 1
47 minutes ago, Yogisbooboo64 said:

Sandra, the one in the red dress who was 75 yet had guns like Angela Bassett in What’s Love Got to Do with It?  Holy shit, she looks 45!  Though her sailor language probably won’t get her far.

I loved her!  So glad she got a rose last night.

• Like 6
  • Applause 2
  • Love 1

I had second-hand embarrassment for these women who were clearly coached that this would be their chance at either making a favorable/lasting impression on the fellow or - even better - being the very first GOLDEN BACHELORETTE!  Some things NEVER change!  These ladies appear to have much going for them in terms of looks, intelligence and achievements.  Stranger couples have been successful, and I hope there will be something new to experience in this iteration. 

• Like 8

I didn’t care for the woman who made her entrance with a walker and gray wig, but you know what was so sweet?  Gerry didn’t realize this was a costume and still gave her a warm smile and offered to help her.  Class act.

• Like 16
  • Love 6
9 minutes ago, Armchair Critic said:

As a wrong reasons viewer I am struggling because he *seems* like an actual good guy.

With many of these older women feeling like this is their “last chance at love” I can smell the desperation to end up with this guy. Let the cringe and cat fights commence…

I really think he is a good guy and I'm hoping he finds someone who is in it to get to know him and not just be on TV. 

• Like 10
22 hours ago, dizzyd said:

Sad that he lost his wife so quickly. Wonder if they investigated the source of the infection. Seemed coincidental with the relocation. 

As I was listening to the story, it reminded me of my best childhood friend’s story.  Her husband died on 8 August under very similar circumstances.  He was gone two HOURS before his 71st birthday.  Pneumonia and heart.

• Sad 11
38 minutes ago, Jax7917 said:

Ok so it’s spelled “ Gerry,” but is it pronounced Gary or Geary? 

3 minutes ago, Salacious Kitty said:

Gerry. I've always heard it pronounced like Jerry. My husband's uncle is a Gerry, about the same age as this guy. 

Unless I’m totally misremembering, it’s spelled Gerry but pronounced like I would pronounce Gary (trying not to get into the whole Mary/ marry/merry thing - just that it’s G like in go, not G like in gem).

• Like 4
36 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

Unless I’m totally misremembering, it’s spelled Gerry but pronounced like I would pronounce Gary (trying not to get into the whole Mary/ marry/merry thing - just that it’s G like in go, not G like in gem).

I'm not debating how the bachelor pronounces his name. I'm just saying I've never seen it. 

• Like 2
On 9/28/2023 at 9:37 PM, archer1267 said:

I didn't understand what the deal with the track suit was.

She came out doing a cheer routine. Just imagine if she was wearing a cheerleader outfit...I'm glad she chose the track suit instead.

• Like 5

I've only seen a few minutes here and there of The Bachelor so wasn't sure what to expect. I decided to watch due to the demographic involved and that one of the contestants is from the town where I grew up.  Being in the same age category as the contestants I'll admit to a certain amount of cringe watching some of the women attempt to stand out. 

Haven't seen it mentioned so I will. Does Gerry dye his hair?  I don't think I've ever seen that shade of blonde on a man his age or even decades younger.  

• Like 8
On 9/25/2023 at 10:10 AM, ECM1231 said:

Believe it or not, some of us have very little gray hair. I'm 66 and have only a little gray by the sideburns area and at the roots. 

I was gonna say "me too" but realized you said you have gray hair at the roots.  How does that work? 

Or, wait.  Are you joking?  The gray hair you have is whatever has grown out since the last time it was dyed?

Sorry for my confusion.  But I'm 66, too.  I've never dyed my hair and I have very little gray hair, just barely sprinkled around.  I actually like them because my hair is dark brown, and the gray ones add little shiny strands here and there that reflect the light.  I think they look cool.

22 hours ago, njbchlover said:

Gerry, also, looks like he may have had a few tweaks and botox shots, but he is one handsome guy!! 

He does absolutely nothing for me, but I've never liked men with large heads.  Plus I like my men un-tampered with and there's something about him that doesn't look natural.  I also don't care for intentional stubble.

I look at the women and see myself as a member of that cohort.  But Gerry seems too old for me.  Maybe it's the big head.  Or the hairdo.  But then I think, "Does he look 80 or older?"  No.  "Does he look 60 or younger?"  No.  So it's very confusing.  He just "reads" old to me, somehow. 

10 minutes ago, ichbin said:

She came out doing a cheer routine. Just imagine if she was wearing a cheerleader outfit...I'm glad she chose the track suit instead.

Her name is Renee and her bio says she was a member of the Honey Bears cheerleading squad.  I looked it up and they were the Chicago Bears cheerleaders until the mid-1980s, and it turns out they wore track suits instead of hot pants when the weather was cold.  I'm guessing Gerry might actually remember that.  I wonder if the male fans expressed displeasure when the Honey Bears put on enough clothes to not get frostbite.

And, surprise surprise.  Her Amazon bio (she has two self-published books) says she is, among other things, an actress.  Sigh.

7 hours ago, TomGirl said:

I didn’t care for the woman who made her entrance with a walker and gray wig, but you know what was so sweet?  Gerry didn’t realize this was a costume and still gave her a warm smile and offered to help her.  Class act.

As far as I could tell, he thought Aunt Chippy (first I've ever heard of her, btw) was a real contestant, too, and greeted her warmly.  And I have to say Aunt Chippy looks fantastic for 84. 

I love that they put Jesse Palmer's age on his chyron.  As much disrespect as I have for this show, sometimes they're pretty funny.

• Like 6
  • LOL 1