Type keyword(s) to search

The Golden Bachelor - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I think ABC would be crazy to continue to promote Gerry, as in putting him on Dancing With the Stars.  He's a poor example of the Bachelor franchise.  Plenty of couples have broken up, but not as spectacularly did they crash and burn like Gerry and Theresa.  Big, fancy, televised wedding three months 
(?) after meeting, then DIVORCE three months later.  If they wanted an example of why this DOESN'T work, they have it. I wouldn't promote ANY of the players on that season, I would start fresh with a new group if they ever do another "Golden" season again.

• Like 6
  • Applause 5
18 hours ago, Sweet-tea said:

Gerry Turner's daughter calls out fan 'rage and cruelty' after “Golden Bachelor ”divorce (msn.com)

It is understandable you don't want to see your father criticized. But I don't trust his daughters. They cover for him, I don't know if they are in denial or if it's because they just are willing to lie for him. 

• Like 13
On 4/26/2024 at 4:21 PM, Sweet-tea said:

Gerry Turner's daughter calls out fan 'rage and cruelty' after “Golden Bachelor ”divorce (msn.com)

The woman he lived with for a while, right after his first wife died, reported an incident where he told her he wasn't going to take her to some event because she had gained a few pounds.   His daughters are more than a few pounds overweight so I expected them to read that and distance themselves from a father who would likely be ashamed to be seen with them.

• Like 9
On 4/27/2024 at 10:53 AM, Armchair Critic said:

It is understandable you don't want to see your father criticized. But I don't trust his daughters. They cover for him, I don't know if they are in denial or if it's because they just are willing to lie for him. 

Wanting the 'perks' of 'fame' but not understanding that scrutiny comes along with it.

• Like 15
  • Useful 1
2 hours ago, seacliffsal said:

Wanting the 'perks' of 'fame' but not understanding that scrutiny comes along with it.

Yes, they "dated"  on a tv show, got engaged on a tv show, had a televised wedding.  Then within months of when the whole thing started, went on a tv show to announce their divorce.  

So people are going to scrutinize, criticize, and express opinions about what kind of man he is.  

I always thought "smarmy"  was the best way to describe Gerry.  Smarmy is defined as " revealing or marked by a smug, ingratiating, or false earnestness." Seems to describe him perfectly

• Like 7
  • Applause 9
(edited)

I think that there will be a Lifetime movie about Gerry someday- I can just feel it 😄!  I want none other than Eric Roberts to play him since he is the king 👑 of playing sleazy, psychotic Lifetime Movie leading men!  I recommend Stalked by My Doctor: a 2015 Lifetime movie starring Eric Roberts- if you like that, there are 4 more of them! 😅🙌💯

Think about it- they could make a Lifetime Movie about Gerry right now!! 📺🍿👀  Gerry's wife died under mysterious circumstances. Gerry lied about his entire life/career.  Gerry worked as a maintenance man at a psych ward and was emotionally abusive to his much younger lover.  Gerry was The Golden Bachelor, married Theresa, and divorced Theresa within 3 months.  We even have the critical Lifetime scene of a lover falling down the stairs during a fight with Gerry and requiring surgery!!💯 Get on it, Lifetime- and if Eric Roberts can't do it, put Jane Lynch in a cheap toupee, spray tan and a suit! 😅

Edited by Hip-to-be-Square
  • Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 19
1 hour ago, Hip-to-be-Square said:

I think that there will be a Lifetime movie about Gerry someday

I would so watch that. 😆 You have me laughing.

But seriously, he is psychotic to have lied like that. He repeated the lies over and over in different interviews and looked right in the camera and wiped tears from his eyes.

I am very close with my family but my family would not lie for me. I still say (I know I am a broken record) that his daughters enable him by covering for him.

I hope this isn't true and I am only speculating, but I wonder if Gerry waited too long to bring his wife into the hospital and by that time it was too late for her. I've heard from multiple sources (including somebody who lived by him) he cheated on his wife so I don't trust much of what he says.

Funny that I stopped watching the regular Bachelor after many years but decided to watch The Golden Bachelor because I thought older people would be more genuine. But we still ended up with influencer wannabees and a cad for the Bachelor. 

Anyway, it's fun talking about it here so I hope you will keep coming back and updating us.

Take it with a grain of salt but I can believe this article https://radaronline.com/p/gerry-turner-golden-bachelor-scheme-fame-fortune-divorce-theresa-nist/

• Like 5
  • Applause 2
2 hours ago, Armchair Critic said:

Funny that I stopped watching the regular Bachelor after many years but decided to watch The Golden Bachelor because I thought older people would be more genuine. But we still ended up with influencer wannabees and a cad for the Bachelor. 

I was excited about Golden Bachelor for a minute because I too thought older people might be more genuine, but then I remembered that it would be older people who agreed to humiliate themselves on a trash TV show so my expectations dropped dramatically. 

I think all age groups have people genuinely looking for love, who wouldn't lie and cheat their way into someone's heart it's just that those people wouldn't be caught dead on this over produced tv show. 

The second I saw Gerry I was dubious about his sincerity. He just screamed smarm to me just from looking at him, but then I know we're not supposed to judge books by their covers, but sometimes the book has chosen it's cover to represent it and in this case, Gerry wasn't any deeper than his cover/image hinted at.

• Like 5
  • Applause 3
6 minutes ago, Mabinogia said:

but then I remembered that it would be older people who agreed to humiliate themselves on a trash TV show

Yeah, my husband and I are in the "golden bachelor" demographic and we have reached the point where we just roll our eyes at the stupid stuff people are willing to do.

• Like 8
  • Love 1

I had hopes for the Golden Bachelor, for many of the reasons given above. I even got my husband to watch with me. I was glad it had a happy ending with the engagement. My husband did not watch the ATFR (or the wedding), but I did and told him about the wedding. Something inside me told me it was happening too fast. I watched the wedding, but it was so... scripted. ??? It just felt odd. 

(Sidenote: I did not tell my husband about the former girlfriend stories. I guess I wanted him to enjoy it for what was presented on the show.)

I was not surprised in the least that they announced their divorce. I'm glad there was a prenup. I wish Theresa the best.

Yes, I told my husband about the divorce announcement. Is it weird I wanted him to believe in the "fantasy" for as long as possible?

Yes, weird. I enjoyed watching it together with him. I really liked the cast for the most part. We laughed a lot through it.

• Like 3
  • Love 3
(edited)
31 minutes ago, deSchenke said:

Yes, I told my husband about the divorce announcement. Is it weird I wanted him to believe in the "fantasy" for as long as possible?

I think it's sweet. I kind of wish the show had been on before social media so we could all have believed in the fantasy a bit longer. The idea of two older people who have been in solid relationships in the past finding each other after losing their spouses sounds like a lovely show, and in the hands of someone other than the Bachelor team it might have been handled better, but Bachelor Producers gonna over produce, it's right their in their job title so I guess we shouldn't be too surprised, and of course they picked the shiny tv ready Gerry rather than some average guy with a heart of gold who was truly looking for just ONE woman to spend his sunset years with. (of course that guy would likely be too smart to go on this show and allow his life to be picked apart by us vultures lol)

Edited by Mabinogia
  • Like 9

Gerry probably picked Theresa for a reason only he knows. She has a high-power job, so she's no dummy, but he must have sensed she was emotionally vulnerable. Leslie was more self-assured, Susan more brash and extroverted, Kathy more sharp. 

I hope Theresa isn't too hurt, and has seen Gerry for what he is. 

• Like 10
18 hours ago, Armchair Critic said:

I would so watch that. 😆 You have me laughing.

But seriously, he is psychotic to have lied like that. He repeated the lies over and over in different interviews and looked right in the camera and wiped tears from his eyes.

I am very close with my family but my family would not lie for me. I still say (I know I am a broken record) that his daughters enable him by covering for him.

I hope this isn't true and I am only speculating, but I wonder if Gerry waited too long to bring his wife into the hospital and by that time it was too late for her. I've heard from multiple sources (including somebody who lived by him) he cheated on his wife so I don't trust much of what he says.

Anyway, it's fun talking about it here so I hope you will keep coming back and updating us.

Take it with a grain of salt but I can believe this article https://radaronline.com/p/gerry-turner-golden-bachelor-scheme-fame-fortune-divorce-theresa-nist/

I'd watch it too 😄! We'll see a Dateline or 48 Hours special on him someday if he keeps this act up.  He really is psychotic in the way that he cries on cue and lies to people with such intense eye contact.  Those homely daughters were complicit in his lies the whole time, and they were giving Leslie the evil eye during the After the Final Rose episode because she called out Gerry on his lies during the breakup.  Go Leslie! "I can think whatever the fuck I want, Gerry!" 🙌💯😄

You're so right about Gerry intentionally waiting until it was too late to take Toni to the hospital.  Gerry was cheating on her throughout the marriage, and her passing was his plan to get out of it.  He's such a sleazy, morally bankrupt guy to leverage her passing into becoming The Golden Bachelor. I believe that the framed photo of Toni that he sobbed over was just a prop and that he doesn't display her photos in his home.  

Thanks for the article!  I'm glad that Theresa got an iron clad prenup.  I think he lived in a separate home from Theresa so that he could fuck around with younger women during their long-distance marriage. Onward and upward, Theresa! Gerry is a man whore and a swindler! 

• Like 3
  • Applause 5
48 minutes ago, TVMovieBuff said:

Gerry probably picked Theresa for a reason only he knows. She has a high-power job, so she's no dummy, but he must have sensed she was emotionally vulnerable. Leslie was more self-assured, Susan more brash and extroverted, Kathy more sharp. 

I hope Theresa isn't too hurt, and has seen Gerry for what he is. 

Gerry seemed to lock in on Theresa when he realized she was probably the wealthiest of the finalists.  Too bad for him she was sharp enough to get a prenup.  

• Like 5
  • Applause 5
On 4/22/2024 at 11:25 AM, DEL901 said:

I would have agreed before, but now with the divorce, the lustre is off the Golden Bachelor and ABC may want to move away from him.  

They should.  Why would women still want to bother with this phony, cheater, disgusting man?  Are they that desperate for a man?  He turns my stomach.  I wonder if Teresa is feeling horrible or what?  Did she really care for him, or was she in on this fiasco ?

• Like 4
  • Applause 3

Did she really care for him, or was she in on this fiasco ?

I come and go on this. I didn't really like her much during the season and I could never figure out why, beyond her sort of constant carping bout the very special connection she had right off the bat with Gerry. I do believe she was genuine, though, in wanting to find love again, or at least in wanting to find a partner whose company she could enjoy and whom she could love (even if she felt like he wasn't the great love of her life like her first husband). I don't think that she was immune to the fame and the perks of being a reality star, but I think she really thought that she was going to have a long-term romantic relationship with Gerry and I think she is probably disappointed that it didn't work out. Maybe not heartbroken, but disappointed I think.

Maybe she was more caught up in the whirlwind than actually in on the sham?

• Like 10
3 hours ago, Elizzikra said:

Maybe she was more caught up in the whirlwind than actually in on the sham?

That’s what I am thinking. 

This environment creates a “bubble world” 

• Like 7
  • Useful 3
1 hour ago, TVMovieBuff said:

48 Hours and Dateline are for murderers. So for Gerry, I am thinking an E! News special! It's fun & juicy without the tragedy. 

Sometimes they do fraud without the murder. I think both of them did a story on Anna Delvey. 

• Like 4
3 hours ago, Elizzikra said:

Sometimes they do fraud without the murder. I think both of them did a story on Anna Delvey. 

Maybe Treesa could be persuaded to fix that....  🗡

• LOL 6
17 hours ago, Stats Queen said:

This environment creates a “bubble world” 

I imagine it is very hard not to get caught up in the bubble of romance the show creates. I actually think that the majority of those who make it to the end do believe they are in love with each other, but what they fell for was the fantasy surrounding the show. I mean, it's got to be really hard to not fall in love with a hot person of your sexual preference who takes you to private concerts, on helicopter rides, buys you expensive gifts, and does everything they can to woo you while looking camera ready at all times. But then, when the ring is on and the cameras are off reality sets in and they come to the painful realization that they know nothing useful about each other. 

I did mistakenly expect these older contestants to have the life experience to know better, but the fact that it seems Gerry and Theresa got engaged without actually ironing out what state they would live in shows they, as dozens of youngin's before them, got swept up in the fantasy and forgot that the marriage was going to take place in reality. (more Theresa than Gerry on this one, I think he was just living it up macking on as many women as possible and making promises he may have had no intention of keeping. He seems like a player to me.)

• Like 8
  • Applause 5

I imagine it is very hard not to get caught up in the bubble of romance the show creates. I actually think that the majority of those who make it to the end do believe they are in love with each other, but what they fell for was the fantasy surrounding the show. I mean, it's got to be really hard to not fall in love with a hot person of your sexual preference who takes you to private concerts, on helicopter rides, buys you expensive gifts, and does everything they can to woo you while looking camera ready at all times. But then, when the ring is on and the cameras are off reality sets in and they come to the painful realization that they know nothing useful about each other. 

Add to that the fact that you are at least physically removed from the daily challenges of work, home and family life; distracted from financial problems; and the alcohol flows. You aren't living real life when you are getting to know the person so it's not surprising that the re-entry to real life would be challenging at best.

• Like 4
  • Applause 4

Nearly 20 years ago, I saw an interview with Melissa Rycroft saying there is indeed a bubble on The Bachelor during filming. No outside news, no phones, like a low-grade sensory deprivation. You get caught up in competing for this guy's attention. There is nothing else to do. 

When Melissa got out of it all, and it wore off, she said Jason Mesnick wasn't even someone she would have been attracted to. They were incompatible and if it had been normal real world she would have known it early on. 

• Like 6
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 6