Type keyword(s) to search

The Golden Bachelor - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Sorry if this is a repeat, but I think my original post got eliminated when the forums went down a few days ago.

I did not watch the season, but read the forums here a little, and being from MN, heard the Leslie publicity.  I wanted to watch the wedding.  I checked in late, and Kathy(?) was interviewing people, so I clicked away.  Checked back and the family was being all syrupy about the couple.  Click!  Checked again — yay, the wedding!  But the officiant was going on and on about the show and their love story and then the daughters (again???!) were being syrupy.  Click!  So I missed the actual vows and wedding.  As someone else said, it was too “cringe” for me.  But I can see that devoted followers might have loved it.

I wish the couple a lovely and fun life together! 

• Like 6
  • Applause 1
On 1/5/2024 at 8:38 PM, kristen111 said:

So, let’s get catty for a sec.  Kathy’s new face is spectacular.  Joan’s new face, not so much.  It’s pulled much too tight.  I just hope they pick Edith for the next Bachelorette.  And soon.

There was too much of Kathy, Charity and the guy, what’s his face?  Plus all the people on ABC.  It was an ABC Fest.  Too many commercials, but that’s what it’s all about.  MONEY.

For those that watched live, the two hour spectacle had nothing useful for the first hour and fifteen minutes.  They made the bride wait her walk down the aisle for ten commercials, after the bridal party and the groom were already in place.

This was great for their advertisers, but I honestly wish I'd recorded and watched later, to fast forward through all the nonsense.  Much time was wasted on stuff I had no interest in.

On 1/6/2024 at 12:00 AM, Quickbeam said:

The dress was all wrong for a tiny woman.

There are rhymes and reasons for the dress they chose, but she'd've been much better off in a slim cocktail length dress that would've been easier to navigate.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1

I watched the season with my husband, as I thought he would enjoy it. And he did. I previewed the wedding episode, thank goodness, before having him waste his time on it. I am going to invite him to watch Bachelor Fantake's review of it. There was too much cringe on this episode. And too many faces I don't really care about anymore. My husband wouldn't know who 95% of these people were.

I don't watch live, only on Hulu. I've found some sort of glitch on Hulu that works in my favor. If you watch a portion of a show (and sorry, I don't know how long), then pause it for half an hour or so and come back to it - you don't get any commercials! You can sense where the breaks are because there's a slight repeat of scenes.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1

I myself would have picked a different dress.  No mermaid .. so not original, plus for a much younger woman.  Maybe a simple flower in her hair too.  But, it was her day, so whatever she wanted.

• Like 7
On 1/4/2024 at 9:58 PM, LennieBriscoe said:

Not quite sure what "Southern elegance" means, but I also am not quite sure what "carnival" means here, either. 

Re: Treesa's gown. I've opined on how the "Virginal Bride" look was completely wrong, given that the entire premise was how love could yet be found the second time around,  so about the "Mermaid" style in particular:  Not a good look for any actual human. An off-white "body-con" dress of "day length" would have shown Theresa's fit frame just fine. 

She could have looked stunning in so many things other than a white wedding gown with a veil no less, it def didn't do a thing for her, it made her look old and tired which she isn't.  Oh well, a day in the life eh, I do hope they got paid well for that wedding.

On 1/4/2024 at 6:37 PM, Doublemint said:

Why is she talking to him in that begging way.   The "officient" should be talking.

They should say "I do".

They should have said, 'we're done' and just got the heck out of there lol

• Like 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 2
On 1/4/2024 at 7:31 PM, Tess23 said:

I wonder how old are those of you here who are making fun of the wedding and dissing Theresa and Gerry? God willing, my sweet husband and I will celebrate our 40th anniversary in a few months. We both have gone through cancer and have celebrated the highest of highs and the lowest of lows together - my goodness, life is so short. Embrace happiness where you can. I'm so happy for them.

I'm happy for them and I truly believe they are happy too.  But I thought their wedding was a joke and I actually feel bad they agreed to those shenanigans.  I hope they are paid a hefty sum for participating.

• Like 5
On 1/5/2024 at 6:27 PM, Armchair Critic said:

Somebody on another forum said Theresa looked like Tim Burton's Corpse Bride. I missed some because I had to look away when the cringe got to be too much for me. Susan seems to be auditioning for a job, she needed to tone it down a bit during the wedding ceremony. I did think the Christmas get together with both families was nice and hope that they all continue to get along well.

I said Corpse Bride, too!  I think they are both needy and will be together for a long time.

18 hours ago, kristen111 said:

I myself would have picked a different dress.  No mermaid .. so not original, plus for a much younger woman.  Maybe a simple flower in her hair too.  But, it was her day, so whatever she wanted.

Mine at age 52 was $60 off Amazon, think simple white dress, lace on top, chiffon floor length.  Empire style.  Theresa could have borrowed it.

• Like 4
  • LOL 1

I wonder if Gerry had his pickleball friends there? Hopefully they got to hang out with their friends and relatives at the reception when the cameras weren't on them.

Theresa has a cute petite figure, I think something like this more simple and sophisticated would have looked nice on her:

Wedding Dress.jpg

• Like 10
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

I don't know if Theresa could have "pulled off" either of those dresses, beautiful as they are. She is petite, but has a bit of a meno-pot. A simple satin dress like that will show every bump and bulge and Spanx can only do so much. The side gathering on the first picture would help hide it, but I think she would still be self-conscious (or maybe not). I also thinks she has nice legs and could have chosen an above-the-knee length dress with an empire waist. I got remarried in 2010 and got a champagne colored, above the knee dress at JCrew - they actually had a bridal department back then! It was perfection, and I am petite like Theresa.

The dress she chose overwhelmed her and was too "first wedding" -ish. I'm okay with someone wanting to wear white on a 2nd wedding. But I think all the lace and tulle was a bit much. Her hair plus the veil closed in her face. It was just all kinds of wrong.

• Like 11
On 1/8/2024 at 2:05 AM, endure said:

I'm happy for them and I truly believe they are happy too.  But I thought their wedding was a joke and I actually feel bad they agreed to those shenanigans.  I hope they are paid a hefty sum for participating.

I just hope it lasts, even if the money runs out.  Teresa was sincere .. I don’t know about him.  There was too much hype about his past.  “Shady”.

• Like 4
(edited)
17 hours ago, deSchenke said:

I don't know if Theresa could have "pulled off" either of those dresses, beautiful as they are. She is petite, but has a bit of a meno-pot. A simple satin dress like that will show every bump and bulge and Spanx can only do so much. The side gathering on the first picture would help hide it, but I think she would still be self-conscious (or maybe not). I also thinks she has nice legs and could have chosen an above-the-knee length dress with an empire waist. I got remarried in 2010 and got a champagne colored, above the knee dress at JCrew - they actually had a bridal department back then! It was perfection, and I am petite like Theresa.

The dress she chose overwhelmed her and was too "first wedding" -ish. I'm okay with someone wanting to wear white on a 2nd wedding. But I think all the lace and tulle was a bit much. Her hair plus the veil closed in her face. It was just all kinds of wrong.

The vail wasn’t right.  Just didn’t look good.  One pretty gardenia in her hair would have looked much better.  Maybe a bun in the back too.  Something simple.   Maybe she had a wig on .. who knows?

Edited by kristen111
  • Like 5
3 minutes ago, Crashcourse said:

Theresa has raw chicken wings for arms, so she should have worn a dress with sleeves.

At a certain age, many of us have that. Its not going to stop me from dressing the way I want to dress. I earned those wings. 

• Like 8
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4
(edited)
18 hours ago, deSchenke said:

19 hours ago, Armchair Critic said:

I liked John Kennedy Jr's wife Carolyn's wedding dress, guess that's what I had in the back of my mind, the dress I posted above is kind of like it. 

john kennedy junior wedding.jpg

cc

3 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

cc

3 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

cc

And don’t know what I’m doing, lol.   From the sixties.  

Edited by kristen111

When you sign up for a televised reality show wedding you’re gonna get feedback. If I was going to be on national tv being watched by millions you better bet I would want to look well styled. There is no excuse for the getup they stuck Teresa in. If this was her hearts desire to wear this dress and the hair and the veil, someone should have had the decency to nicely talk her into something more flattering. They had a good canvas with her, she’s petite, thin and we’ve seen her look way better than this. What the heck happened? 

• Like 7
  • Applause 1
6 minutes ago, sadie said:

When you sign up for a televised reality show wedding you’re gonna get feedback. If I was going to be on national tv being watched by millions you better bet I would want to look well styled. There is no excuse for the getup they stuck Teresa in. If this was her hearts desire to wear this dress and the hair and the veil, someone should have had the decency to nicely talk her into something more flattering. They had a good canvas with her, she’s petite, thin and we’ve seen her look way better than this. What the heck happened? 

Sad to say, but her whole look with the mermaid gown and vail was for a young Bride.  Her face didn’t go with the outfit.  I don’t mean to be cruel.  ABC should have known better.  It wasn’t a classy look like it should have been.  To each his own tho.  I meant reil.

• Like 6
  • Applause 2
5 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

Sad to say, but her whole look with the mermaid gown and vail was for a young Bride.  Her face didn’t go with the outfit.  I don’t mean to be cruel.  ABC should have known better.  It wasn’t a classy look like it should have been.  To each his own tho.  I meant reil.

IMG_0589.jpeg.ec3f631fbb563dfebdc7d9a696276fb4.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Applause 2
  • Love 7
On 1/5/2024 at 7:49 AM, Mrs. Hanson said:

I got remarried at 52 ... and I wanted a registry of things you could take OUT of my house.

I have a friend who got remarried at about that age.  The invitation specified no gifts, and said if you bring a gift, they'll make you take home a pallet of their junk.

• Like 5
  • LOL 7
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, kristen111 said:

I just hope it lasts, even if the money runs out.  Teresa was sincere .. I don’t know about him.  There was too much hype about his past.  “Shady”.

I haven't read the stuff out there or on here other than he dated prior.  I hope he's a good guy, I 'think' he probably is.  He seemed like he really wanted this marriage with her so hopefully he's sincere.  We shall see I guess.

• Like 3

The other day I read the Amazon registry (s) and if legit were very odd. Lots of things that 2 people in their 70s must own but perhaps they are furnishing a third home where you need a portable walk-in sauna and multiple coffee machines. Lots gifts has been purchased. 

• Mind Blown 1
16 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

I have a friend who got remarried at about that age.  The invitation specified no gifts, and said if you bring a gift, they'll make you take home a pallet of their junk.

Yep, turned 59 on Sunday, was CLEAR:  no food no cards.  I have so much paper in my house.  It is decreasing.  I have a neighbor who moved to Florida nd built a THREE car garage.  Buddy, your kids don't want your crap.  He is 77, lol.

• Like 7
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 2
17 hours ago, kristen111 said:

Damn, now there’s nothing good to watch.  I’m waiting for Joey, the Bachelor.  He’s a cutie.

I already saw a spoiler about his final four! 

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
On 1/5/2024 at 1:44 AM, Back Atcha said:

And now...a word from our sponsors.   Those seven little words will take care of all scheduling issues.

Susan had very little power.  This wedding/reception was all scripted by The Golden Bachelor production staff.  I'm sure they worked with Susan, but she was "over the top" only because she was allowed and encouraged.  "GOOD TV" in the eyes of producers and sponsors doesn't care about the actual wedding...or the viewers. I'd bet the ages of those decision- makers isn't CLOSE to the demographic age of the viewers.

Agreed. There was only one reason for Susan to be the officiant and it was to make jokes. It's a Bachelor wedding, the themes are part of the deal, it's never about the actual couple. I thought Susan was fairly restrained and kept most of the focus on Gerry and Theresa, but if all they wanted was a generic officiant, they wouldn't have picked a contestant to do it (the "they" being the producers, not the couple, of course!) 

The bachelorette party and the boudoir photo sessions were the biggest cringe spots for me. 

• Like 2
  • Applause 5
3 hours ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

Yep, turned 59 on Sunday, was CLEAR:  no food no cards.  I have so much paper in my house.  It is decreasing.  I have a neighbor who moved to Florida nd built a THREE car garage.  Buddy, your kids don't want your crap.  He is 77, lol.

I have a part-time de-cluttering business I do with my clients whose pets I have been taking care of for years.  I can't even believe what people hold onto for decades!  It's been an interesting switch of careers for me; fun, nostalgic stories behind some of the items.  People throw things in the spare bedrooms or garage and say, "I'll get to it later."  40 years later!

• Like 3
(edited)
4 hours ago, ljenkins782 said:

Agreed. There was only one reason for Susan to be the officiant and it was to make jokes. 

The bachelorette party and the boudoir photo sessions were the biggest cringe spots for me. 

I thought they were fun. That's just me I guess.

As for Susan, she is a wedding officiant so it makes sense. Its like Joey marrying Monica and Chandler.... meant to be. I know that was fictional but how neat it is to have a friend marry you. Happens sometimes I'm sure. 

Edited by libgirl2
  • Like 3
(edited)
8 hours ago, bequialife said:

I have a part-time de-cluttering business I do with my clients whose pets I have been taking care of for years.  I can't even believe what people hold onto for decades!

We need MORE of you people!!!   Because I was the only retired (medically) of the three sisters, I took on most of the decluttering of my mother's rental home.  She saved every wedding invitation, monogrammed wedding NAPKIN, graduation annnouncement (she was the favorite aunt of 24 nieces/nephews), every newspaper/magazine article about Waylon Jennings and Julio Iglesias...and the rest is too much to mention.  My sister worked for the City of Phoenix and had extra recycling dumpsters delivered to Mother's house every few days.  Now I'm in my 80s and my DEBRIS is much worse.  STUFF!

Edited by Back Atcha
fixed a typo
  • Like 3
  • Love 2
14 hours ago, Back Atcha said:

We need MORE of you people!!!   Because I was the only retired (medically) of the three sisters, I took on most of the decluttering of my mother's rental home.  She saved every wedding invitation, monogrammed wedding NAPKIN, graduation annnouncement (she was the favorite aunt of 24 nieces/nephews), every newspaper/magazine article about Waylon Jennings and Julio Iglesias...and the rest is too much to mention.  My sister worked for the City of Phoenix and had extra recycling dumpsters delivered to Mother's house every few days.  Now I'm in my 80s and my DEBRIS is much worse.  STUFF!

In all fairness, Waylon WAS the man.

• Like 2
On 1/10/2024 at 1:27 PM, bequialife said:

I have a part-time de-cluttering business I do with my clients whose pets I have been taking care of for years.  I can't even believe what people hold onto for decades!  It's been an interesting switch of careers for me; fun, nostalgic stories behind some of the items.  People throw things in the spare bedrooms or garage and say, "I'll get to it later."  40 years later!

I live with my 92-yr-old mother in a 5 bedroom house.  She's in great shape (knock on wood!) so there's not much for me to do.  EVERY time I suggest getting rid of some of the clutter she's accumulated over the years, she has a fit and says, "You can get rid of it when I'm dead!"🙄

• Sad 1
2 hours ago, HerkyJerky said:

EVERY time I suggest getting rid of some of the clutter she's accumulated over the years, she has a fit and says, "You can get rid of it when I'm dead!

If she could only guess (imagine) the bitching/griping/moaning that will present itself at that time.  My mother had all the "love letters" between her and my father when they were engaged (he was in Phoenix; she in St. Louis) and THEN the love letters 6yrs later when he was "in the war" protecting Long Beach in the Coast Guard.  Apparently she had gone through and destroyed anything of any possible interest.  They were all written in pencil.  Nothing but news about the weather, minor mention of the kids.  Nothing romantic; nothing juicy.  There wasn't one letter we felt like saving.

"

• Like 3
On 1/10/2024 at 3:33 PM, Back Atcha said:

Sounds all too familiar of what I have dug up from my clients.  Then there are the old bottles of Jean Nate cologne, Aqua net hairspray buried in the back of their hallway closets.  I am beginning to think, "I am seeing it all..."

I have gotten my mother to get rid of stuff the last couple years and she's on it, while she can still move and walk and drive!

4 hours ago, HerkyJerky said:

I live with my 92-yr-old mother in a 5 bedroom house.  She's in great shape (knock on wood!) so there's not much for me to do.  EVERY time I suggest getting rid of some of the clutter she's accumulated over the years, she has a fit and says, "You can get rid of it when I'm dead!"🙄

Oh no...you don't want to wait!!! It is physically exhausting, and sometimes mentally exhausting too!

• Like 4
  • Applause 1

When my mother passed away in 2020, my husband and I cleaned out her house that she, and my step-father who predeceased her, had lived in for 55 years. It was very tidy anywhere a visitor would see. But the cabinets (and there were lots of cabinets!) were crammed full of stuff. Mom had a Costco membership (yes, even as a single person) and she was a child of the depression. So kitchen cabinets would have hundreds of empty Cool Whip and salsa containers and anything else that could be reused. There must have been 30-40 rolls of Aluminum foil, cases of Kleenex, both of which my husband and I are still using as I haven't bought any since her passing.

Her bathroom cabinets were packed all the way to the front. When cleaning them out, I could tell when Oil of Olay was on sale. It was like rings of a tree - you'd find 4 bottles of it here, dig a little further and another 4 bottles. I think all up, there were over 20 bottles. She probably couldn't find the batch she previously purchased and just ended up buying more. Same with toothpaste, and mouthwash, and moisturizer, bandaids, Tylenol, and anything else you can think of. I thought I scored when I found a stash of Retin-A she had purchased on a trip to Mexico, but it was from the 1990's, thick, yellow, and smelly.

I thought she was in great shape during COVID lockdown because she had so much in her pantry. It turned out most of it expired in the early 2000's, some in the late 1990's. Cans of tomatoes and pineapple had eaten through the cans and you can only imagine the mess that made. My husband joked that no one needs 100 boxes of Jello.

Prior to her passing, I often heard her say, "Someone else can deal with it when I'm gone."

• Hugs 5
38 minutes ago, deSchenke said:

Prior to her passing, I often heard her say, "Someone else can deal with it when I'm gone."

And that is my actual fear, leaving behind all the stuff we accumulate.  Fortunately I've moved twice in recent years and was forced to downsize so I got rid of a lot BUT I still have way too much stuff. My younger sister is still living in the same house they built when they got married back in the late 70s plus they have a summer lake house full of stuff!  She's not a hoarder but I can offer her anything and she will take it lol.  That would stress me out too much.  My New Year's resolution is to work on getting rid of the stuff I no longer need or use.

• Like 3
11 hours ago, deSchenke said:

As someone that has had to clean up a hoard after someone died I think this mindset is so selfish. Why would you want people you love to have to do this?

• Like 1
  • Applause 5

Well, it seems as though the Golden Bachelorettes can't get enough of the limelight as four of them showed up on The Bachelor tonight.  Yep, they are just as much about the fame as are the younger participants on these shows.

• Like 5
2 minutes ago, seacliffsal said:

Well, it seems as though the Golden Bachelorettes can't get enough of the limelight as four of them showed up on The Bachelor tonight.  Yep, they are just as much about the fame as are the younger participants on these shows.

Which four? I'd like to know who to avoid in the future.

• LOL 3
(edited)
12 minutes ago, ECM1231 said:

Amber, Susan, Kathy, and Nancy. 

Susan and Kathy really seem to be taking advantage of their 15 minutes. 

Edit I don't remember an Amber. Was surprised that Leslie didn't take part.

Edited by Salacious Kitty
  • Like 4