Type keyword(s) to search

The Golden Bachelor - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 9/28/2023 at 5:41 PM, JenE4 said:

Is Faith the singer? Whomever the woman with the guitar was is talented. Gerry was entranced.

They’re having a house party now!

Yes, Faith was the singer. She’s from my community and sang for YEARS with a local band. Plus, she was a radio DJ for decades. Our community is decent-sized but not massive (300K population) and she was already something of a local celebrity before her participation in the show was announced. And it is BIG DEAL on social media.  😂

I do not watch the show usually and I don’t *know*  her but we have met (we have about 50 mutuals on FB), so of course I had to tune in. It was surreal to see her rollerblading on national TV where I walk my dog. 

Edited by Irish Mermaid
  • Like 1
  • Useful 6
  • Love 1

I agree that Gerry's a nice guy, just right for the show, but not at all sexy. He's exactly my husband's age so I did a lot of comparing, my husband is also tall and still has plenty of hair, but he would never do the stubble thing because I hate it and he knows that white stubble is more likely to say "homeless' than hot. 

Looking at Gerry's old pictures I would have thought he was sort of a nerd back in the day, his hair was much too short for the period.  Over time, his happy marriage and life experience made him the man he is now, it's so sad that she couldn't have lived out a long life with him.

The singer who got the first rose is way too up-town for him, I hope she doesn't just  use him to promote herself.  All that eye contact that he thinks means she's so into him is just her confidence that comes from being a local star.

I notice that the only woman who had a little bit of jowls got rejected.  I think it's sad that women are expected to have had surgery just to be in the running.

One thing I've learned as I get older is how the aging speeds up over time.  There's a huge difference between 65 and 70 and even more between 70 and 75.  Whoever Gerry picks, I hope they go on some trips and have lots of fun, but think long and hard before marrying. Strokes and broken hips are just around the corner.

• Like 9
  • Sad 3
  • Applause 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

@JudyObscure, so good to “see” you again!

We used to have a decently sized cohort engaged in the Bachelor/ette live chats, but a lot of members dropped off over the seasons if they didn’t like a particular lead—and especially when Chris Harrison was fired. So I’m happy to see some of the former gang come back—plus a lot of new members watching the show for the first time, or the first time in a long time. Maybe broadcast television has made a mistake pandering to the 18 to whatever market. Looks like lots of middle-aged and senior people are tuning in for this show.

• Like 8
  • Love 5

There's something I really don't like about Faith.

Her focused eye contact, her "special song", the way she drew him in, seemed disingenuous to me.

To me, she seemed like an overgrown typical Bachelorette contestant working for Instagram clout.

She probably has tons of people now saying, "Oh Faith, please play another song!  Good Morning America is calling!"  and it will be.....Gerry who???

Edited by Starlight925
  • Like 3
  • Applause 7
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, LennieBriscoe said:

Maybe one episode is too soon to characterize, but to me Gairy has little to no swag, no come-hither eyes, no sexy tone (I don't care for his voice). He's all wide-eyed, emotional, even grateful, but without 🔥, IYKWIMAITYD.

I am really glad Gerry isn't an overage version of a younger guy who just wants to get laid and thinks all that bedroom eyes, fake swagger, is the way to do it. I am greatly relieved that they didn't cast some old guy who thinks he is hotter than George Clooney.

• Like 20
  • Applause 3
  • Love 1

I thought of something else. Susan, with the short dark brown hair. When she was meeting Gerry, she showed off her high-heel shoes and said "a comfortable 6 inches". It didn't register then, but later on I realized it was a sex reference. An embarrassing one! I hate sexual double entendres!

Gerry's name: it depends on what his real name is. If it is Gerhardt (my mom's family was German) the shortened version could be Gerry and pronounced gar-ee. Not saying I'm right, just an idea. 

• Like 4
  • Useful 4
2 hours ago, Starlight925 said:

There's something I really don't like about Faith.

Her focused eye contact, her "special song", the way she drew him in, seemed disingenuous to me.

To me, she seemed like an overgrown typical Bachelorette contestant working for Instagram clout.

She probably has tons of people now saying, "Oh Faith, please play another song!  Good Morning America is calling!"  and it will be.....Gerry who???

Yes! Something felt really off to me, and it was kind of unsettling to watch her give him such a piercing gaze while singing and talking to him.  Songwriting is personal and I feel the first day is way too soon to sing a personalized song to Gerry.  Wasn't the riding in on a motorcycle enough of an impression 😄? Nooo, she had to sing the sentimental song on the white guitar decorated with the Lisa Frank stickers.  I'm always suspicious of people who come on that are either aspiring performers or entrepreneurs.  

• Like 9
  • Applause 7
14 hours ago, Salacious Kitty said:

I'm not debating how the bachelor pronounces his name. I'm just saying I've never seen it. 

Oh sorry - I didn't mean to debate or imply that you were.  I just picked a couple of quotes illustrating our common confusion, since I had just watched and both the spoken pronunciation and the spelling in the cc's were fresh in my mind.  I agree, I don't think I've encountered that spelling/pronunciation before.  I think if I keep watching this, my mind is always going to see "Gary" when I hear his name, and if I read about him, my mind is going to hear "Jerry".

• Like 9
  • Love 1

Okay. I think I’m starting to realize regional accents are throwing off the pronunciation of Gerry’s name—in addition to the odd spelling. I’m reading these articles with him saying it’s pronounced like Gary—but they apparently don’t say Gary the same way in the Midwest as I do here in NJ. Here’s Jesse introducing Gerry as GAH-ree, the way I say Gary. But then Gerry comes in with the schwa saying, “Hi, I’m geh-ree.” So I will call this man geh-ree in my mind. He does basically follow the phonetic pronunciation of Gerry…but just with a hard G.

https://youtu.be/bfUpo6RcHEg?si=qml6WtrkeG_HuiyA

• Like 2
2 hours ago, TVMovieBuff said:

I am really glad Gerry isn't an overage version of a younger guy who just wants to get laid and thinks all that bedroom eyes, fake swagger, is the way to do it. I am greatly relieved that they didn't cast some old guy who thinks he is hotter than George Clooney.

My guess is that Gerry hasn't been with any woman other than his wife - or, at least, not many. And it's clear his grief is never far from the surface. I wouldn't expect someone in that situation to have much game but I thought he did pretty well, all things considered! The wink, the conga line, the kisses. And it's nice to see a lead again who genuinely wants to meet someone. 

• Like 16
  • Love 3

I cringed at the sexual innuendo. I was okay with chicken lady saying her eggs were fresh, but the chicken dance and slapping her behind was too much. And the Chris Jenner lookalike kind of scares me (she, of the "I'm comfortable with 6 inches" remark).

• Like 12
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 2

I loved it all.  The cringe moments, the dirty jokes, the fbomb mantra.  I was boohooing during his story.  I even enjoyed Chippy.  I just thought it was all so sweet.

Then Paradise came on after and I immediately had to change the channel.

• Like 5
  • LOL 7
  • Love 2

I hated that the producers (I assume) forced the ladies in the first limo to do that stupid "GERRY!!!!"

I hate that stuff on the regular show, and it is even more cringey when people are old enough to know better.

I gotta say, most of these women have amazing bodies. I'm not really crazy about the unsupported boobs though. 

• Like 15
4 hours ago, TVMovieBuff said:

I wouldn't want your described egotistic player, either.

But then I've never been fond of a Straw Man. 

1 hour ago, deSchenke said:

I cringed at the sexual innuendo. I was okay with chicken lady saying her eggs were fresh, but the chicken dance and slapping her behind was too much. And the Chris Jenner lookalike kind of scares me (she, of the "I'm comfortable with 6 inches" remark).

I cringed, too. 

I also didn't like the woman whose f-bombs had to be blurred out when she was talking to Gerry, and the birthday woman who scared the crap outta Gerry when she opened her coat to show her "birthday suit."  

Keep it classy, ladies.

Edited by Crashcourse
  • Like 12
  • Applause 4
  • LOL 1
12 hours ago, LennieBriscoe said:

Maybe one episode is too soon to characterize, but to me Gairy has little to no swag, no come-hither eyes, no sexy tone (I don't care for his voice). He's all wide-eyed, emotional, even grateful, but without 🔥, IYKWIMAITYD.

I'm just quoting because I'm a little bit proud that i was able to figure out IYKWIMAITYD,  on my own, without having to look it up.   😁

I also agree with this assessment.   At least so far.   

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 5

It seems a little early to judge whether or not he'd be "passionate." I mean, they just met!

I have a feeling that emotions may be more heated as we go forward here, given that these are people that *don't* have decades ahead of them to find another love if this doesn't work out.

• Like 3

All the women looked great.  Lots of blondes with long hair.  I have a feeling he will pick someone who resembles his late wife tho.  Just a hunch.  Then again, he just might go for the opposite .. a crazy nutty type who’s lots of fun.  Can’t wait to see.  Should be interesting.

• Like 7
29 minutes ago, dleighg said:

I was glad that he didn't fill his dance card with all the most glamorous and conventionally beautiful women. Though for a 60+ bunch there were a lot of good looking ladies there!

Yes, and half of them looked sex starved.  Maybe a little frightening to him as he looks shy.

• Like 5
  • Fire 1
  • LOL 4

I do not watch this show - or any of them - but after seeing the commercial I was intrigued enough to come on here and read more about the premise.

Snark to follow 😊

On 9/28/2023 at 8:09 PM, dizzyd said:

Sad that he lost his wife so quickly. Wonder if they investigated the source of the infection. Seemed coincidental with the relocation. 

...it seemed like an explanation ripped from a Law & Order episode. They retire and buy a dream house - her dream house - and she immediately gets sick and dies? Coincidentally?

If I was the DA, I'd be looking at him and his entire life with a fine-toothed comb for sure. Watching this my first thought was "ooooh he totally killed her!" 😆

After a lifelong commitment, six years isn't much time to grieve...and to go date on television and market yourself as Mr Available? 👀 It's sus.

Look, that house is now paid for, and he gets to pick from a great batch of ladies of questionable morals and get sympathy from millions. Talk about a do-over.

Just sayin'. 🤷‍♂️

On 9/26/2023 at 9:54 AM, PRgal said:

It’ll be interesting to see how women my around my mom’s age interact on TV.  More interesting would be which reject would become the first Golden BACHELORETTE, if that indeed happens.

If they do a Golden Bachelorette, all the men of the same age would get out of the limo, take one look at her..and immediately walk off set. LOL Seriously, at that age men seemingly only want younger gals for second wives, don't they?

I feel like a Golden Bachelorette would need to accept that the main applicants would be those younger guys with MILF fantasies and not men in their own age group.

...why are these 70 year olds even doing this? It's not about true love. For youngsters, it's about attention and fame and a bit of hanky panky with hot disingenuous failed actors cast because they have obvious mental problems and no shame.

• Like 3
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Sad 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 11
59 minutes ago, DisneyBoy said:

I do not watch this show - or any of them - but after seeing the commercial I was intrigued enough to come on here and read more about the premise.

Snark to follow 😊

...it seemed like an explanation ripped from a Law & Order episode. They retire and buy a dream house - her dream house - and she immediately gets sick and dies? Coincidentally?

If I was the DA, I'd be looking at him and his entire life with a fine-toothed comb for sure. Watching this my first thought was "ooooh he totally killed her!" 😆

After a lifelong commitment, six years isn't much time to grieve...and to go date on television and market yourself as Mr Available? 👀 It's sus.

Look, that house is now paid for, and he gets to pick from a great batch of ladies of questionable morals and get sympathy from millions. Talk about a do-over.

Just sayin'. 🤷‍♂️

If they do a Golden Bachelorette, all the men of the same age would get out of the limo, take one look at her..and immediately walk off set. LOL Seriously, at that age men seemingly only want younger gals for second wives, don't they?

I feel like a Golden Bachelorette would need to accept that the main applicants would be those younger guys with MILF fantasies and not men in their own age group.

...why are these 70 year olds even doing this? It's not about true love. For youngsters, it's about attention and fame and a bit of hanky panky with hot disingenuous failed actors cast because they have obvious mental problems and no shame.

I watch a lot of Dateline, and I listen to a lot of True Crime podcasts, and I gotta say.....you may have a plausible scenario.

I hear Keith Morrison.....on a dark road, in a quiet lake house in a small town, lived the happiest family anyone had ever known.....

All kidding aside, I do believe Gerry (with a hard G) is here to find love.

I'm more sus of a lot of these women, actually, as even at this age, I believe there are clout-chasers and catty narcissists.

Edited by Starlight925
  • Like 12
  • LOL 1
5 minutes ago, Starlight925 said:

I'm more sus of a lot of these women, actually, as even at this age, I believe there are clout-chasers and catty narcissists.

I hope not. 

I’m a woman in my 60s and I really don’t want to see any of them on Bachelor in Paradise-I.C.U Edition.

• Like 6
  • LOL 11

All the kissing was gross to me,  slow your roll Gerry.

As a long time Dateline watcher and the way they filmed him standing at the lake house my suspicions are raised on the 'sudden'  bacteria infection.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 10

Does anyone know the name of the piano/violin song that was playing while Gerry was talking about his wife passing on the first episode? It plays from minutes 4:10 to 6:12 after the Cat Stevens intro song- it sounds like the theme to a movie from the 80's or 90s, but I can't figure it out- it's a sad/uplifting instrumental song.  

• Like 1
42 minutes ago, Hip-to-be-Square said:

Does anyone know the name of the piano/violin song that was playing while Gerry was talking about his wife passing on the first episode? It plays from minutes 4:10 to 6:12 after the Cat Stevens intro song- it sounds like the theme to a movie from the 80's or 90s, but I can't figure it out- it's a sad/uplifting instrumental song.  

You could Shazam it. 

• Like 1
On 9/28/2023 at 8:07 PM, JenE4 said:

Oh, boy. After Gerry’s emotional retelling of his wife’s passing, I don’t think I’m emotionally prepared for a season of actual sob stories from a bevy of widows. My teen is over here crying.

My sentiment exactly. His story hit too close to home to me for comfort. Thank goodness my wife made it and is with me watching the show. I can't continue watching this series. I wish him well and hope he finds the companionship and the love he deserves. I can't imagine having to deal with the sudden , unexpected loss of the love of your life ☹️

• Hugs 8

My niece and her husband moved to a lake house and she got a bacterial infection and almost died, it was like watching her story. Luckily she was in her 40’s and made it through but it went to her heart and was touch and go. Must be something in the water! Gerry is attractive and seems nice but something bothers me about him and I can’t put my finger on it. I was happy that he didn’t insist on women 20 years younger than him. 

• Hugs 8
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, Madding crowd said:

My niece and her husband moved to a lake house and she got a bacterial infection and almost died, it was like watching her story. Luckily she was in her 40’s and made it through but it went to her heart and was touch and go. Must be something in the water! Gerry is attractive and seems nice but something bothers me about him and I can’t put my finger on it. I was happy that he didn’t insist on women 20 years younger than him. 

Thank God she made it. We used to watch the show Monsters Inside of Me and it is amazing  how you can pick up a parasite or bacterial infection doing something you have done many times, like swimming in a lake or walking through the brush..... 

Edited by libgirl2
  • Like 5
  • Sad 1

When I first read that The Golden Bachelor was a go, I wondered if it was pronounced with the "G" and "en" silent, lol.

And I agree with Yogisbooboo64: Kathy looks amazingly like Caitlyn Jenner. Once I saw it, it couldn't be unseen. 

• Like 7
  • LOL 4
17 minutes ago, rebel2u said:

And I agree with Yogisbooboo64: Kathy looks amazingly like Caitlyn Jenner. Once I saw it, it couldn't be unseen

I kept seeing these comments mentioning Caitlyn Jenner. I think y'all mean Kris Jenner, don't you? Caitlyn looks... different than her.

• Like 5
  • LOL 2
1 hour ago, dleighg said:

I kept seeing these comments mentioning Caitlyn Jenner. I think y'all mean Kris Jenner, don't you? Caitlyn looks... different than her.

Nope   I saw Caitlyn Jenner too.   

• Like 2
On 9/30/2023 at 4:03 PM, DisneyBoy said:

Why should seeking "true love" be cut off or end at some pre-determined age?  A 70-year old could just as easily as the "youngsters" be an attention or fame-seeker or looking for (last-chance) hanky panky. (Why else is it that STDs are rampant among the elderly? As my grandfather said, "Just because there's snow on the roof doesn't mean there isn't a fire in the furnace.")

Setting aside issues such as dementia, having mental problems or quirks or having no shame is no less an issue for some 70-year olds as for those younger.  Not always is it that "with age comes wisdom."  Some nut cases or dummies remain nut cases & dummies their entire lives.  Some look to replicate a lost love.  Some look for what they never had - but never lost hope to find.  Some leap in without care -- no differently than they did when young.  If true that 'love makes you stupid," that doesn't change with age. 

Instead of looking at these folks as if they are animals in a zoo, maybe consider that they're just people - with the same quirks & foibles as any people - only they've had more birthdays.

Unfortunately, these folks seem a bit quick to suck face - and that's a turnoff for me as a viewer.  I'd hoped for the development of a more nuanced or deep connection.  More gravitas - instead of simply vying for attention.  But, oh well, it is a Bachelor show, after all - golden or otherwise. 

• Like 15
  • Applause 8
  • Love 1

Loneliness can be debilitating. The GB and contestants are of the age that it can be quite a factor in their lives. Loneliness is why romance scams are so prevalent against the aged.

That's why I think many of the contestants are here.

The sexual innuendo, I'm a bit surprised about. Maybe I shouldn't be. Unfortunately, about 2 years after menopause, my libido tanked. But I'm surprised some of the women are leading with that. I would think they want a relationship for the long term, and not just based on physical attraction - regardless if their libido survived menopause or not.

• Like 13
  • Applause 2
9 hours ago, deSchenke said:

The sexual innuendo, I'm a bit surprised about. Maybe I shouldn't be. Unfortunately, about 2 years after menopause, my libido tanked. But I'm surprised some of the women are leading with that. I would think they want a relationship for the long term, and not just based on physical attraction - regardless if their libido survived menopause or not.

Maybe they do want a long term relationship - but figure that sex sells at any age - the image of a youthful, sexy, active person more important to a first impression than whether their libido actually survived menopause or not, or whether Gerry has performance "issues" due to age, or not.  So some will lead with that image - even if some have to fake it 'til they make it. 

After all, the goal here is to stay in the game  - not necessarily to project the entirety of their true selves. As Chris Rock said long ago, they've sent their "representatives" out to play & date - the "real" person, fatal flaws & all, may not emerge for a while - until after the deal is sealed, or for as long as they can "sell" their creation.

• Like 7
  • Applause 4

1st time Bachelor watcher and the cringe factor was high and the eye roll was constant.

Did Faith think she was auditioning for Rock of Love?  Really wished John Belushi's ghost came back and smashed that guitar like in Animal House.

Totally related to Aunt Chippy and agree she should provide commentary.  Someone has to cut through all that saccharine.

• Like 6
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 7
40 minutes ago, mytmo said:

1st time Bachelor watcher and the cringe factor was high and the eye roll was constant.

Did Faith think she was auditioning for Rock of Love?  Really wished John Belushi's ghost came back and smashed that guitar like in Animal House.

Totally related to Aunt Chippy and agree she should provide commentary.  Someone has to cut through all that saccharine.

OMG Rock of Love! It was so trashy, yet I watched it. 

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, libgirl2 said:

OMG Rock of Love! It was so trashy, yet I watched it. 

I was obsessed with "Rock of Love" as a teen- that show was so trashy and fun to watch 😄!  I always wanted to meet Bret and flash forward to age 34 and I got myself a VIP Poison concert ticket last year and I got to meet Bret Michaels!  Bret called me over and pulled me in for a full body hug by saying, "Get over here, beautiful!'" The hug was HOT, and his back is super ripped for a slender guy. I told him my quick story of being partially deaf and how this was my first concert ever in my life since I wanted to preserve my good hearing in my left ear.  Bret held my hands as I was talking to him and looked into my eyes the whole time and then told me I was beautiful inside and out and genuinely thanked me for choosing him and Poison as my first concert.   I totally get why women made out with him like crazy on Rock of Love- the man has game, rocks his looks and is a genuinely fun and nice guy! 

2 hours ago, mytmo said:

Such a great post 😄!! Faith reminded me of Rodeo from Rock of Love! Remember her? The intense stare, the guitar- even the caramel highlights! 

• Like 14
  • Love 5
2 minutes ago, Hip-to-be-Square said:

I was obsessed with "Rock of Love" as a teen- that show was so trashy and fun to watch 😄!  I always wanted to meet Bret and flash forward to age 34 and I got myself a VIP Poison concert ticket last year and I got to meet Bret Michaels!  Bret called me over and pulled me in for a full body hug by saying, "Get over here, beautiful!'" The hug was HOT, and his back is super ripped for a slender guy. I told him my quick story of being partially deaf and how this was my first concert ever in my life since I wanted to preserve my good hearing in my left ear.  Bret held my hands as I was talking to him and looked into my eyes the whole time and then told me I was beautiful inside and out and genuinely thanked me for choosing him and Poison as my first concert.   I totally get why women made out with him like crazy on Rock of Love- the man has game, rocks his looks and is a genuinely fun and nice guy! 

I was never much of a Poison fan but I can appreciate that he is a nice looking guy. He also seems like his a really nice guy overall. 

• Like 6