Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Golden Globes - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I'm still laughing over Steve Carell and Kristen Wiig's introducing the award for "Best Animated Feature" and Steve talking about seeing Fantasia right before his parents divorce and Wiig about seeing Bambi the day she had to put her dogs down. I love when they really commit all the way through in these bits.  Steve especially with the pain in his eyes makes it work so much. Fallon would break instantly into annoying giggles.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 21
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

I haven't seen anything yet...what's been the buzz about Jimmy's hosting skills?

I've only seen Vanity Fair and Entertainment Weekly's reviews, and they were both pretty tepid.  Both thought the cold open shouldn't have been hyped by NBC to the degree that it was, since Lala Land has only been in wide release for a week (they thought a lot might miss the references). They also both found it surprising that he had trouble improvising when the TelePrompTer went down, and that the Chris Rock bit wasn't great.  Vanity Fair thought Jimmy was trying to reverse the image of him ruffling Trump's hair by making those joke about him during the monologue, but thought they fell flat.

He didn't totally bomb, but when you could tell NBC wanted to play it safe and he just whiffed.  He was much better when he hosted the Emmys in 2010 - I'm guessing his cold open was trying to recreate the Born To Run opening from the Emmys (which was fantastic), but it just didn't work very well IMO.

Edited by Princess Sparkle
post cut off mid sentence
  • Love 5

I don't really understand all the hate Tom Hiddleston is getting. He was in a room full of people who entertain for a living, and then pat each other on the back and hand out awards for doing their jobs well. Yes, he was long-winded, and yes, he probably could have worded things better, and maybe he shouldn't have mentioned South Sudan at all. But I feel like I've watched enough interviews of his to know that he was not trying to toot his own horn. He was trying to bring attention to something that he cares about. It would have been weird for him to dedicate his award to aides workers without somehow tying it into the TV show that he won the award for. Hence his story. Here's an older quote from Tom which I think shows that he's well aware that he's not some "white savior":

I am no saviour. I’m absolutely the last person on the planet who can practically help. I don’t know how to make the different types of therapeutic feeding milk. I’m no chemist. I’m no doctor. I’m no engineer. I can’t manufacture polio vaccines or organise their transportation to the health centres in Saramoussayah or Bissikirima. I can’t build schools, or design drainage systems. I can’t provide the women and children of Mandiana with water. I’m just an actor. .... The people who are really helping are those on the ground. They are heroic, and mostly if not entirely unsung. 

https://www.unicef.org.uk/tom-hiddlestons-guinea-field-diary-back-london/

I've read some comments from aides workers who love that they were given a shout-out, and agree that without some distraction in the field, their work would be hard to do. I believe Tom was just trying to use a platform to bring awareness to a cause he cares about, and not because he wanted everyone to know what an amazing person he is.

• Love 9
21 minutes ago, VCRTracking said:

I'm still laughing over Steve Carell and Kristen Wiig's introducing the award for "Best Animated Feature" and Steve talking about seeing Fantasia right before his parents divorce and Wiig about seeing Bambi the day she had to put her dogs down. I love when they really commit all the way through in these bits.  Steve especially with the pain in his eyes makes it work so much. Fallon would break instantly into annoying giggles.

I've always loved Kristen Wiig presenting. She annoys a lot of people but she gives it her all in the bit whether it bombs or not, and it's nice to have a little break from the typical straightforward "here are the five nominees for Best ________".

Her presenting bit with Will Ferrell a few years ago about the movies of the Comedy/Musical Actress nominees at the Globes still have me cracking.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, topanga said:

And did Denzel turn into an asshole, or was he still in character? I've heard him recently in interviews, and he does not come across as a nice person. In fact, he sounds like a grumpy old man. Maybe things are going on down below that are messing with his manhood. 

I guess he should get on TV and scream at an empty chair.

God forbid he was actually concentrating/processing what was being said.

• Love 4

Ugh, I hate that Tom Hiddleston was getting enough flack that he felt the need to post an apology on his Facebook page:

I just wanted to say… I completely agree that my speech at the Golden Globes last night was inelegantly expressed. In truth, I was very nervous, and my words just came out wrong. Sincerely, my only intention was to salute the incredible bravery and courage of the men and women who work so tirelessly for UNICEF UK, Doctors Without Borders/ Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF), and World Food Programme, and the children of South Sudan, who continue to find hope and joy in the most difficult conditions. I apologise that my nerves got the better of me.

I'm glad he didn't apologize for what he said, only the way in which it was expressed.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, RaeSpellman said:

It's also likely that there were also more than a few people in that room who aren't anywhere near wealthy. Those who are still early in their careers. Working professionals who aren't stars.  

Or in the case of one Indian actor from a few years ago, you can star in an iconic movie that addresses the harshness of people living in the slums of Mumbai, and then be sent back to live in those same slums once filming is complete. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, rallymantis said:

didn't vote for the man, but I'm bored with all this piling on.  Careful research into that stupid flail he did reveals that it's a gesture he makes when he's mocking someone.  And the brunt of that particular slam? a NYT reporter -- hardly one of the powerless.

The Federalist website isn't where I would go to research this carefully. The site has an agenda. Just like I wouldn't go to Mother Jones for Hillary research.

I watch politics closely and I cannot recall another person that Trump mocked by flailing his arms and imitating spasms. 

Moreover the way that Trump pointed out reporters at his rallies (and how he continues to take jabs at them), journalists are in his crosshairs. 

But maybe Meryl should have picked another person to champion. How about the Khan family?

• Love 12
25 minutes ago, DangerousMinds said:

Very true, but actors in American films don't get automatic US citizenship.

I didn't necessarily mean that. But If I had produced, directed, or otherwise financed a film that cost $15 million to make and grossed almost $400 million worldwide, I'd have a hard time watching my star actor get on a plane and fly back to the slums of Mumbai. There are houses in India. I don't know how much this kid was paid, but someone could have made sure he and his family were able to move into a house. 

Edited by topanga
  • Love 4

Loved Kristen Wiig and Steve Carrell. Easily one of the show's highlights. See Jimmy, that's how you do it. I loved how Kristen was *this* close to breaking but held it together.

What else can I say about Meryl Streep that hasn't been said. Love her, loved her speech. She's a wonderful actress for sure, but given the natural warmth and charisma that she exudes I wonder if that is part of why she wins all these awards - she's just an overall exceptional person.

Nice seeing Brad Pitt again. Are people really STILL bringing up Jennifer Aniston? Good lord.

• Love 13
14 minutes ago, thejuicer said:

Nice seeing Brad Pitt again. Are people really STILL bringing up Jennifer Aniston? Good lord.

I know, right? All the parties involved have moved on. No one really "won", or anything. I wish the public in general would just stop associating the threesome (or foursome, for some people counting Justin Theroux) with each other. 

Fallon was a safe host. I think NBC wanted it to be that way anyway since there's still so much divide in the country, someone who would just poke, but not anger the bear, so to speak. I didn't expect to have biting commentaries ala-Ricky Gervais and Tina/Amy, but I can understand why some people were disappointed with Jimmy last night. EW said it seemed like the Globes radiated way lower energy last night than it usually does, considering it's the "party" awards show during the season, and it only gets serious from here on out.

• Love 2
20 minutes ago, iwasish said:

Goldie Hawn....was that part scripted? Cause dumb giggly blonde is not cute at her age. And she' 's looking pretty rough too. 

Nicole Kidman.... lay off the botox.

Couldn't agree more about the Goldie bit...it was not funny or cute and I was embarrassed for her.  The script, if that was a script, was poorly-written, took time and attention away from the nominees, and was demeaning to her.  I get that was her persona for a long, long, long time and she made a career off of ditzy, but it was a terrible showing for her.  Amy Schumer was pointless.  

• Love 2

Denzel, as much as I love him as an actor, just seems like a jerk.

I just think he's one of those people who isn't comfortable with the promotion aspect of his job. He wants to act, then be left alone. I saw him do a bit on Jimmy Fallon (where he dramatically read greeting cards) He seemed game and personable, and the segment seemed fun. My SIL also met him at an alumni event @ Fordham-- and says he is not very outgoing-- but really nice. 

• Love 2

Denzel Washington gets my respect because he is supporter of the Boys and Girls Clubsof America.  He benefitted from it and knows how important it is. He's a good actor and as long as he's a decent human being,  I doesn't bother me if he doesn't mug it up for the cameras.

• Love 13

Denzel, as much as I love him as an actor, just seems like a jerk.

This is youtube video of Denzel chatting with Jason Sklar of the Sklar Brothers. Sklarbro Country podcast, Cheap Seats on ESPN, stand up comedian with brother Randy. He walked into a store in LA and Denzel was in there shopping and they started chatting.  There is no audio, but this is footage taken by paparazzi outside of Jason & Denzel talking for several minutes.  I recently heard Jason describe the encounter, and he said it was amazing how down to earth Denzel is. They talked about kids, the biz, etc.   After Jason went up and said the usual "I'm a big fan" DW could have walked away but he didn't.   Watching it makes it appear they're old friends. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BycbbR6D7Yg

Well the worst part of Hiddleston was that he started the speech by praising aid workers - a thing people of all political bents can agree with - but then it veered into "...And these aid workers loved 'The Night Manager.'"  Tacky.

My take on it was that "here are people who are doing this amazing work helping others, and they take the time to come talk to me and thank me for my tv show", as in, I was in awe of them, and humbled that they think that much of The Night Manager.

I don't think he was being a jerk at all.  But YMMV

Was Goldie Hawn drunk?   What was going on there?  

Meryl's comments about MMA & the NFL weren't a put down. She said if we get rid of "Hollywood" or "entertainment", the only thing that will be left on tv is sports. Which isn't art. Art is art. Sports are sports.    

Edited by teddysmom
  • Love 16

Admittedly, my take on Denzel acting like a jerk was influenced by seeing him in (Hidden)Fences, where he truly was a jerk.  I still don't think I'd want to hang out with him though.

My only comment about Meryl's speech is that it's unfortunate that she called out MMA & the NFL because I don't think they had anything to do with the message she was trying to convey.  Also, we all know that sports aren't "art," but so what?  Doesn't make them any less entertaining or enjoyable than art. 

I was embarrassed for Goldie.

• Love 2

Admittedly, my take on Denzel acting like a jerk was influenced by seeing him in (Hidden)Fences, where he truly was a jerk.  I still don't think I'd want to hang out with him though.

He does do "jerk" quite well. See "Training Day". 

• Love 1
21 hours ago, RaeSpellman said:

Meryl Street didn't criticize ALL people of a specific party, or ALL who voted for a specific person. Part of the reason for Meryl mentioning her roots,  Viola's roots, Sarah Jessica Parker's roots, Ruth Negga's roots, etc. was to show that the people in the room have varied origin stories, and know more than just Hollywood and New York. 

Exactly. Much like everyone else who is living in the country right now. There's a lot of perception that Hollywood is all Los Angeles glitz and glamour (true to a degree), but I like how she framed it "But what is Hollywood anyway? Just a bunch of people who came from different places." Not really different from someone who say, was born from Ohio, went to school in TX and plied his trade somewhere in Silicon Valley. To have a better life than what they were born in. The only differences are people who plied their trade in Hollywood got famous and probably earn more money faster.

Edited by slowpoked
  • Love 13

Consider this a reminder: Just because actors bring politics into awards shows, it does not give posters carte blanche to bring political arguments on to this board. There are other sites catering to this topic. PTV is not one.

So, in the future, refrain from politics here. Failure to do so will result in warnings.

Thank you for your cooperation.

• Love 3
15 hours ago, lordonia said:

I'm on the other end of the spectrum because I'm grateful for anyone, for any reason, who deviates from a speech that consists of a boring list of thank yous to people the rest of us have never heard of.

I too like when people give interesting or funny speeches. After watching everyone thanking everyone, it's good to have some that are rememberable. Though sometimes this is unintended as they are drunk.

• Love 2
23 hours ago, sacrebleu said:

I just think he's one of those people who isn't comfortable with the promotion aspect of his job. He wants to act, then be left alone. I saw him do a bit on Jimmy Fallon (where he dramatically read greeting cards) He seemed game and personable, and the segment seemed fun. My SIL also met him at an alumni event @ Fordham-- and says he is not very outgoing-- but really nice. 

22 hours ago, callmebetty said:

Denzel Washington gets my respect because he is supporter of the Boys and Girls Clubsof America.  He benefitted from it and knows how important it is. He's a good actor and as long as he's a decent human being,  I doesn't bother me if he doesn't mug it up for the cameras.

20 hours ago, teddysmom said:

This is youtube video of Denzel chatting with Jason Sklar of the Sklar Brothers. Sklarbro Country podcast, Cheap Seats on ESPN, stand up comedian with brother Randy. He walked into a store in LA and Denzel was in there shopping and they started chatting.  There is no audio, but this is footage taken by paparazzi outside of Jason & Denzel talking for several minutes.  I recently heard Jason describe the encounter, and he said it was amazing how down to earth Denzel is. They talked about kids, the biz, etc.   After Jason went up and said the usual "I'm a big fan" DW could have walked away but he didn't.   Watching it makes it appear they're old friends. 

I agree with all of you--and I'm the one who said he might just be a jerk. I do think Denzel hates doing the "Hollywood Thing"--the promotion, the interviews about his movies, the awards shows, etc. But I also think he's the greatest actor of all time, period. And on the podcast of the same name, I’ve listened to numerous actors who’ve worked with him in films, and they all talked about how gracious and nice—and funny--Denzel was on set. And that he went out of his way to get them to relax on set because almost everyone who meets him is deer-in-the-headlights star-struck. But Denzel just seems grumpy lately—at the Golden Globes and in a few interviews I’ve listened to in the past month. 

In regards to the Jason Sklar story: on the Sklarbro Country podcast, Jason Sklar tells the story about that encounter in the clothing store, and it’s even better than what you’d expect. Denzel seems really, really down to earth and friendly when he’s not talking about Hollywood stuff. Here’s the link—the  Denzel story begins at 11:40:

Sklarbro County

20 hours ago, Ohwell said:

My only comment about Meryl's speech is that it's unfortunate that she called out MMA & the NFL because I don't think they had anything to do with the message she was trying to convey.  Also, we all know that sports aren't "art," but so what?  Doesn't make them any less entertaining or enjoyable than art. 

I don't think Meryl meant to be condescending, but whenever a non-sports fan dismisses the value of sports, it sounds condescending. Sports are, by definition, athletic, but they can also be artistic. Gymnastics anyone? The reason I love women's gymnastics so much is because it's so visually appealing. The women are essentially performing a complicated ballet and tumbling at the same time. 

But yeah, Meryl is getting it from all sides. Trump is mad of her, of course, but so are MMA supporters. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, topanga said:

But yeah, Meryl is getting it from all sides. Trump is mad of her, of course, but so are MMA supporters. 

The daily fail did an article collecting social media post accusing her of being anti-Israel. Yeah she is getting it from all sides

Edited by gator12
  • Love 2

My two cents: I'm a big sports fan. I watch a wide variety of sports on TV including football. That said, Meryl's speech did not offend me in the least. What I heard her say is without the performing arts, that's about all the entertainment we'd have. Much as I like following my teams and players, I wouldn't want that and nothing else. It would get pretty damn old pretty damn fast.

• Love 10

I just think that Meryl got carried away with herself but I still think that she could have left the sports conversation out of her speech.  Plus, I don't even know what she means about "the arts."  Assuming she means stage, movies, and television, does that also include stuff like Keeping Up With the Kardashians?  I think referring to "the arts" did make her sound highfalootin'.

• Love 2

I've never understood why entertainers/singers/actors believe that their opinions are more valid than mine. I don't need a lecture on any subject from someone who pretends to be someone else, saying someone's else words and behaving like someone else-for obscene amounts of money. Meryl Streep is a great actress and I enjoy her performances. She obviously has her own personal opinions on politics but to use her "fame platform" that the rest of us don't have to spout her views is disingenuous and bullying, in my personal opinion. 

• Love 3

We don't know her life. We don't know how much she reads, educates herself, etc.

I  just read Her Again by Michael Schulman.  While Meryl was establishing her roots in the NY theater community in her mid-early 20s, she reportedly read 3 newspapers a day.  This is also a woman who, at 28 or 29, put her professional aspirations on hold to nurse her lover, John Cazale, as he died of lung cancer.  I think we know a lot about what makes her thoughts regarding empathy (the core of her GG comments) worth listening to.

• Love 13
On 1/9/2017 at 11:31 AM, rallymantis said:

I didn't vote for the man, but I'm bored with all this piling on.  Careful research into that stupid flail he did reveals that it's a gesture he makes when he's mocking someone.  And the brunt of that particular slam? a NYT reporter -- hardly one of the powerless.

And does he also speak in a slurred "challenged" voice, as he did at that particular moment, when he is mocking people in general? Yeah, right. I've seen this particular bit of revisionist history pop up since the Golden Globes and its pure and utter claptrap. We all saw it at the moment it happened and know exactly what it was meant to convey. Meryl was right. 

What is getting lost in all this is that her speech was actually a defense of the press and calling for support  of the same. Since this was the awards of the Hollywood Foreign Press, their bash and their selected honorees, it was perfectly appropriate that she used her time to speak out in support of the press. We the viewers were invited guests, as it were, to someone else's party. This party wasn't for us, it was for the Hollywood Foreign Press and the people in that room. 

Edited by Juneau Gal
Damn autocorrect!
  • Love 15
17 hours ago, scout305 said:

My two cents: I'm a big sports fan. I watch a wide variety of sports on TV including football. That said, Meryl's speech did not offend me in the least. What I heard her say is without the performing arts, that's about all the entertainment we'd have. Much as I like following my teams and players, I wouldn't want that and nothing else. It would get pretty damn old pretty damn fast.

It seems clear to me that this was exactly what she meant.

16 hours ago, Ohwell said:

I just think that Meryl got carried away with herself but I still think that she could have left the sports conversation out of her speech.  Plus, I don't even know what she means about "the arts."  Assuming she means stage, movies, and television, does that also include stuff like Keeping Up With the Kardashians?  I think referring to "the arts" did make her sound highfalootin'.

I don't know, this is a fairly common term in my world. And personally, NO, I absolutely do not include KUWTK trash.

Edited by DangerousMinds
  • Love 4
18 hours ago, Gam2 said:

She obviously has her own personal opinions on politics but to use her "fame platform" that the rest of us don't have to spout her views is disingenuous and bullying, in my personal opinion. 

What?! Doesn't everyone have Twitter by now? ;)

• Love 7

Okay, gang. Let's...back off a bit from The Speech. I get it was a part of the show, but it inherently has a political bent and we know how that goes. So in the interest of board harmony and respecting its no-politics policy, let's table this.

Thanks!

• Love 2
On 1/14/2017 at 2:59 AM, WendyCR72 said:

Okay, gang. Let's...back off a bit from The Speech. I get it was a part of the show, but it inherently has a political bent and we know how that goes. So in the interest of board harmony and respecting its no-politics policy, let's table this.

Thanks!

I agree...we should have more discussion about how horribly dressed and old everybody looked!  Sad to say, though, nobody looked outstandingly awful this year.  While there were some meh styles on the red carpet, nobody tried for Bjork or Cher levels of outrageousness.  Disaster!  Sad! 

• Love 2

I'm wondering when those plunging neck dresses came back in fashion. So many women had them, and they were not flattering at all. You figure with all that money more than a handful of women would look decent- I could probably buy a more flattering dress at Target or Kohls.

• Love 3