Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Golden Globes - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I get being tired of Jennifer Lawrence's quirkiness but I'd be actually annoyed if she suddenly stopped because people are now over it. THAT would really prove it was all just an act!

It's not fake. She gave an interview recently talking about the quirkiness and tripping thing. She knows people think she's faking when she falls and hate her for it, but she can't help it she's just a klutz. She wishes she wasn't and she gets mad at herself when she falls. She doesn't seem the type to change the quirky part either she's just going to be who she is. Edited by Stuffy
  • Love 2

Ricky, my man.  I know you can be obnoxious, but I hope you at least put some considerable distance between you and Mel Gibson now that the telecast is done.  I enjoy you enough that I don't want to see you get beaten down by that crazy, racist maniac.

I guess I've seen worse telecasts.  Ricky made me laugh a couple of times, and not the speeches were that bad.  I still need to seem more of these films until I can make a full determination.  Plan on catching Joy and The Revenant this week, so maybe I'll change my mind after viewing them.

But I'm still tickled over The Martian dominating comedy.  Too bad the DVD is coming out in two days.  Not enough to slap that on the cover!  Everyone must see the wacky hijinks of Mars kicking Matt Damon's ass!

I am not always a big Ricky Gervais fan, but that last shot was pretty great. 

Just give Leo his Oscar already. Its overdue at this point. 

Overall, not a bad show this year. Was thrilled for Rachel Bloom, and was suddenly very happy that I binged Mozart in the Jungle the other day. 

• Love 1
It's not fake. She gave an interview recently talking about the quirkiness and tripping thing. She knows people think she's faking when she falls and hate her for it, but she can't help it she's just a klutz. She wishes she wasn't and she gets mad at herself when she falls. She doesn't seem the type to change the quirky part either she's just going to be who she is.

Yeah I read the Glamour interview too. I believe her.  I remember Lauren Graham's interviews where she really has no filter but she never had as big a profile(Gilmore Girls is great btw).

I think Leo has the oscar in the bag. Best Actress might still be up for grabs between Larsen/Blanchette / and the Irish actress.

I might hold out seeing the Revenant until on video. I keep seeing comparisons with Malik's films ( esp tree of life).. Oh man watching that was painful. .give me the fast forward.

Edited by Diana Berry

Solid show.  I've loved Denzel since Glory, but that speech was a major letdown.  Just take your glasses next time, man.

Happy for Leo.  I'm cool with him winning it all, if he does.  Same with Brie.  She gave a great speech, happy and exuberant, and got off the stage on time!

Ugh at Jennifer Lawrence, and I was so sick of them trotting out the bff crap with her and Amy Schumer.  Definitely a movie I'll be skipping.

Best bit of the night: Eva Longoria and America Ferrera.

Gervais did a great job.  He struck a good balance this time.  

• Love 3

Plus I can't stand Leo as a general rule (The Departed an exception, eg). I spent most of Titanic waiting for him to just die already.

Cane we be friends? I cannot stand Leo either. I will admit to liking him in his way earlier days, but Titanic is where the hate came out full force. I was waiting to see him die also. It felt like it took forever in that movies for that to happen.

• Love 4

I actually think if there is a race (and I don't think there is but if there is one...) it's between Leo and Eddie. Matt Damon getting snubbed by the SAG puts his chances for an Oscar nomination as iffy. 

Agreed. I think its for sure between Leo & Eddie. But I cannot for the life of me imagine that they will give Eddie two in a row (and don't get me wrong he's FANTASTIC in The Danish Girl), while they have Leo nominated for I think his best performance ever and NOT give it to him. I'm honestly surprised that he hasn't won 2 or 3 already. 

Cane we be friends? I cannot stand Leo either. I will admit to liking him in his way earlier days, but Titanic is where the hate came out full force. I was waiting to see him die also. It felt like it took forever in that movies for that to happen.

People talk about Rey from Star Wars The Force Awakens being too perfect with no flaws but Jack Dawson from Titanic is ridiculous, but it's what James Cameron wanted. Leo wanted to play him more interesting but was vetoed. Wikipedia's page of Titanic(film):

DiCaprio, 22 years old at the time, was brought to Cameron's attention by casting director Mali Finn.[8] Initially, he did not want to portray the character, and refused to read his first romantic scene on the set (see below). Cameron said, "He read it once, then started goofing around, and I could never get him to focus on it again. But for one split second, a shaft of light came down from the heavens and lit up the forest." Cameron strongly believed in DiCaprio's acting ability, and told him, "Look, I'm not going to make this guy brooding and neurotic. I'm not going to give him a tic and a limp and all the things you want."

Edited by VCRTracking

I like Ricky Gervais hosting. He doesn't give a damn who he offends and calls the Hollywood elite out on their BS. I was laughing at all the jabs at Mel Gibson.

Jennifer Lopez should take a nice long break and return when she actually has a (good) film to promote.  She starred in Selena almost twenty years ago, for Pete's sake.

Denzel's filmography clips were amazing. He only has two Oscars?! His speech was a little goofy but that's OK, kept it lighthearted. I like how he brought his family up.

Jennifer Lawrence remains a mystery to me, I don't see the appeal. YMMV. The bit with Amy Schumer was a bit cringeworthy. Loved Ricky Gervais poking fun at their BFF-dom "It's like they never had a friend before". Yawn.

Happy for Leonardo DiCaprio. Hope it's finally his year for the Oscar.

• Love 6

Worst award show ever! Llonggggg thanks yous to lists of names, nothing insightful, breathless yammering abt how "speechless" they are before um-ing and grasping verbally for intelligent thoughts and taking up more time crabbing about the music before they were done with nightynights to the kids, load of cussing they know had to be bleeped out--but mskes them look edgy, not funny bits, boring intros to the waste of time reshowing

pieces of movies, shiny faces, etc. Just blech.

Doesnt GG have writers that have ever seen an award show before?

Worst award show ever! Llonggggg thanks yous to lists of names, nothing insightful, breathless yammering abt how "speechless" they are before um-ing and grasping verbally for intelligent thoughts and taking up more time crabbing about the music before they were done with nightynights to the kids, load of cussing they know had to be bleeped out--but mskes them look edgy, not funny bits, boring intros to the waste of time reshowing

pieces of movies, shiny faces, etc. Just blech.

Doesnt GG have writers that have ever seen an award show before?

I can't stand Jennifer Lawrence. I can't believe they gave her a third Globe in as many years, I mean, come ON guys. Jesus. I don't think she's fake, I just think she's incredibly obnoxious and I would not want to hang out with her, because I can't stand people with personalities like that. Everything is about them, all the time, always. Look at me, look at me, look at me. UGH.

And people complain that Julia Roberts has become obsessed with herself? What's this girl gonna be like in 20 years? Man, give me 90's Julia any day over this.

Edited by Ruby25
  • Love 10

I watched the first My Robot cuz the premise sounded cool, but it was boring, as was My crazy ex- girlfriend. Maurs Tierney had always been good, as has Leo, and i liked alot of the other nominees, but it was a disjointed sequence. PEGGY WAS ROBBED, although I like Gaga's singing. I think she was wearing a waist cincher which is a new trend in Hollywood, and why she walked funny. But give me a break, you didn't cure cancer for this award. Ricky was ok, and reminds me realize how narcissistically unrealistic award shows are and how much these stars depend on them.

Wow, is it really between Leo and Eddie?  I thought it was between Leo and Michael Fassbender.  

This is what I had been reading too.  The early money in Hollywood has been on Fassbender, who was absolutely brilliant in Steve Jobs.  The GGs aren't often a great predictor of the Oscars.  I think we should wait and see the SAG Awards in two weeks before calling the race for DiCaprio.

Jennifer Lopez should take a nice long break and return when she actually has a (good) film to promote.  She starred in Selena almost twenty years ago, for Pete's sake.

She is there for the tv side, she has a new show that premiered last week.
  • Love 2

This is what I had been reading too.  The early money in Hollywood has been on Fassbender, who was absolutely brilliant in Steve Jobs.  The GGs aren't often a great predictor of the Oscars.  I think we should wait and see the SAG Awards in two weeks before calling the race for DiCaprio.

Anything is possible, but Leo's been the favorite for a long, long time. Fassbender was considered to be his biggest competition, but then Steve Jobs tanked at the box office (and didn't do as well with critics as expected). If Fassbender had won tonight, it would have been a huge, huge upset.

At this point it's hard to say who's in second place - there are arguments to be made for it being Fassbender, Redmayne, Cranston, and maybe even Damon, now that he also won.

Edited by Blakeston
  • Love 1

I maintain that if Steve Jobs had made money, Fassbender would have stayed the frontrunner. That's the kind of powerhouse performance the Oscars love. Leo could only get this win in a year when there was no alternative for them coalesce around, so really, he's lucky.

• Love 2

Downtown Abbey still get nominations? Joanne looks nice. Not really loving her hair though.

What are the ratings of Scream Queens? would a Jamie Lee Curtis win really guarantee a second season?

Is the non-famous son not as annoying as Jaden and Willow?

The non-famous son was a pretty big High School Football player in Southern California the last few years. He's from Will's first marriage, not his marriage to Jada. He's called "Trey" as he's named after Will & presumably Will's father. Seeing as he's not from Will's marriage to Jada, presumably he's not as annoying as Jaden & Willow since he only carries Will's genes (& I always thought it was interesting Jaden & Willow were named for their parent of the opposite gender: Jada/Jaden, Will/Willow).

• Love 3

Does she have some sort of hip injury? She's not moving too well. She looked to be in pain.

She had hip surgery either last year (2015) or the year before. As I remember, she had to postpone some of her last tour to have/recover from it. And just because you have surgery, it doesn't always fix the problem. Especially if you're a "high energy" performer. Barry Manilow's had multiple surgeries on both hips since 2006, presumably for similar issues as Lady Gaga's given their similar lines of work, but they've never really completely fixed his issues (tears in the labrums of both hips). I'm wondering if Gaga's having the same issue.

She is there for the tv side, she has a new show that premiered last week.

And she's judging on American Idol's final season, which also started last week. Her new show is Shades of Blue, on NBC on either Tuesday or Thursday night.

I like Ricky Gervais hosting. He doesn't give a damn who he offends and calls the Hollywood elite out on their BS. I was laughing at all the jabs at Mel Gibson.

If he didn't give a damn he wouldn't have come back to host for a third time. He's about as edgy as Donny Osmond. 

These awards, from his poser blathering, to the stale attempts at "hipness" from perpetually smarmy frat boys like Jonah Hill (he's wearing a bear's head like in a movie...and he's cursing - so funny!) and Mark Wahlberg (he's wearing crazy glasses with Will Ferrell - oh my sides!), to the even larger group of people than usual taking 20 minutes to wander through the tables to get onstage with a dazed look on their face, to the award that goes to a CW show 3 people watch so the GG can seem edgy and cool (won by a woman who was trying so hard I wonder if she mainlines old Molly Shannon SNL sketches), pretty much exemplified everything the Golden Globes represent, only drained of any life or entertainment. 

They spent so much time patting themselves on the back they forgot to put on an actual show. And judging by how sweaty and tired everyone looked, they forgot to pay for air conditioning.

• Love 10

With fast-forward, I was able to watch this tribute to tackiness in under 2 hours.  Did the participants have some kind of bet about who could be "bleeped" the longest?  That got nauseating pretty quickly, as did the "edginess" of the parade of ugly dresses, and I do use that clothing classification loosely. 

There isn't a movie among the nominees that I was dying to see before this, and that hasn't changed.  Spotlight looks good, but can wait for DVD.

• Love 2

With fast-forward, I was able to watch this tribute to tackiness in under 2 hours. Did the participants have some kind of bet about who could be "bleeped" the longest? That got nauseating pretty quickly, as did the "edginess" of the parade of ugly dresses, and I do use that clothing classification loosely.

There isn't a movie among the nominees that I was dying to see before this, and that hasn't changed. Spotlight looks good, but can wait for DVD.

Wow, you'll likely be bored by Spotlight then---fairly slow, serious movie with its literal climax being if a controversial newspaper staff publishes a tough story or not.

Save for perhaps maybe "Carol", the Oscar-worthy films I saw this year mainly underwhelmed me.

Wow, you'll likely be bored by Spotlight then---fairly slow, serious movie with its literal climax being if a controversial newspaper staff publishes a tough story or not.

Not sure how you extrapolated from my comment that I'd be bored by Spotlight.  I was criticizing the utter lack of class and seriousness on display last night.  Spotlight sounds very classy.

I think there were sound problems with some of the longer silences; when Iñárritu was talking about Leo, the sound cut out and it was clear there was no swearing.

Thanks for saying this because honestly that's what I just assumed while watching last night and was surprised to see so many comments about all the swearing that was happening. I mean with Ricky especially, I would not be surprised if that's what was happening but it did seem like there were some weird audio glitches happening. 

I am fine with Ricky's humor. But it the constant patting himself on the back for being "edgy"  gets tiring.

Thank you! This explains my feelings about him too.

I truly believe Ricky Gervais wouldn't have near the success he did without Stephen Merchant as his writing/producing partner   It was Stephen Merchant's film school idea that launched The Office.

Listen to one of their old podcasts.  Merchant is fucking hilarious.   

• Love 5
I really do like Leo in general. (I've not typically found him "hot" per se, but I will say that I found his role in "The Departed" one of the sexiest I've seen in a long time.).  BUT... for some reason, when I see him talk, I always feel like he's perpetually got a mouth full of chew tucked into his bottom lip! LOL

REPORT THIS POST

Same here.  I enjoy his acting.  He should have gotten an Oscar for The Departed or The Aviator.  Or even Gilbert Grape. 

I don't know if I want to see The Revenant.  If I do I'll wait til dvd.  It seems like quite a slog, and I mean that it may be one of those I have to take a break from, instead of sitting thru one viewing at the theater.  

I keep wondering about Mr. Robot, is it really that good?  Crazy ex Girlfriend reminded me of Two Broke Girls. Just a lot of yelling.    

• Love 1

Hooray for Maura Tierney's winning for The Affair (and it's one of my favorite shows currently on TV). She's done some really spectacular work on that show.  But yea, the glasses were a "miss."

I was pulling for Outlander for Best TV Series because I am obsessed with that show and it's freaking fantastic. And although I was also pulling for Ben Mendelsohn in Bloodline (SO good) or Tobias Menzies in his duel Outlander role for best supporting actor, I can't hate on a win for Christian Slater.  I suddenly feel an overwhelming need to go watch Heathers and Pump up the Volume!

Fostersmom, on 10 Jan 2016 - 8:57 PM, said:

Am I the only one who can't stand Jon Hamm? 

Yes.  HTH! 

J/K. But seriously I'm thrilled that he won.

Indigo Luna, on 10 Jan 2016 - 9:14 PM, said:

Jennifer Lawrence seems like she has to constantly top herself with how "quirky" and "relatable" she is. And its a turn off. 

If I hear her talk about how "fat" she is compared to the rest of Hollywood one more time....   Girl, you are a size 2 at most.  Have a damn seat.

wallflower75, on 10 Jan 2016 - 9:33 PM, said:

Well, I did forget that it was written by Aaron Sorkin.  How silly of me.

As for Jeffrey Tambor and Transparent, I watched two episodes and didn't see what was supposed to be so darned funny.  When I hear that something's a comedy, I think I'm going to, what's the word, laugh.

It's billed as a drama and a comedy.  It does have humor, but it's a darker humor.  While season 2 wasn't as good as season 1, it's still a really good show.  And Jeffrey is wonderful in it. 

benteen, on 10 Jan 2016 - 9:43 PM, said:

Lady Gaga over Kirsten Dunst?  Are you kidding me?!

Thank you!  My eyeballs just about fell out of my head when I saw that.  I've never been a K Dunst fan, but I floved her as Peggy in Fargo. I watched the first 5-6 episodes of AHS:Hotel, and while Gaga wasn't as awful as an actress as I thought she'd be, she's not even in the same league as Kirsten.

truthaboutluv, on 10 Jan 2016 - 9:58 PM, said:

So it's official - Rami got screwed because it was Hamm's last chance to win a Globe. I feel like that's the only reason he didn't win that award. 

Or maybe Jon Hamm did some really amazing work in his last season as Don Draper.

loriro, on 10 Jan 2016 - 10:29 PM, said:

I still can't believe that Jonathan from "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" is such a successful writer. In addition to "Empire", he's written  or co-written "Lee Daniels' The Butler" and "Hunger Games: Mockingjay Parts I and II". 

I know!  I love it that "our Jonathan" is so talented and has really gone places. 

Black Knight, on 10 Jan 2016 - 10:52 PM, said:

I think part of it is that he's willing to cast her for parts that she's really too young for. For actresses of her age there's actually not much out there that's substantial - mostly just girlfriend parts, crappy teen movies, that kind of thing. It's hard to find the next Winter's Bone or another of the few YA heroines who aren't totally obsessed with which boy to choose. She wants to act in worthwhile projects, so for now that means basically David O. Russell and developing stuff herself, as she's doing. When she gets into her late 20s, her 30s, there will be a higher number of quality roles out there for which she's age-appropriate.

Yes.... there are just NO good roles for beautiful, talented women in their 20's in Hollywood!  //sarcasm//

• Love 3
Or maybe Jon Hamm did some really amazing work in his last season as Don Draper.

I'm sure he did but considering how HFPA loves rewarding fresh faces and they went far enough to give the show a win for Best Drama and again, in my opinion, Rami really IS the show, then yeah, I'm going with voters decided it was a nice sendoff to Hamm for his last season of Mad Men. YMMV of course...

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 2

Is it just me, or does Jennifer Lopez look totally different than she did just a couple of years ago?  I barely recognize her face, especially when compared to how she looked in Maid in Manhattan or even Selena (yes, I know she was really young in Selena).  But if she has had plastic surgery, it's a good job and she hasn't started looking like that lion faced woman.  

You have to remember that the stars have been drinking a lot before and during the show, so it's no surprise that there's lots of bleeped talk.  

• Love 1
Is it just me, or does Jennifer Lopez look totally different than she did just a couple of years ago?  I barely recognize her face, especially when compared to how she looked in Maid in Manhattan or even Selena (yes, I know she was really young in Selena).  But if she has had plastic surgery, it's a good job and she hasn't started looking like that lion faced woman.

Well when it comes to Hollywood, I'd never insist a person hasn't had work done but I do think her look changing a bit might be contributing to it. The hair alone, which may not seem like a big deal but can dramatically change a person's face, is practically blonde now when we know her natural hair color is a dark brown. 

Speaking of J-Lo, while I understand what some were saying about her being in a new show (and on NBC no less) and maybe representing the television side which explains why she was there, I'm sorry but let's be honest, even if she wasn't, she'd still be there. Because what's the excuse for her being at the Oscars practically every year?

I don't hate the woman and I admire her hustle in making herself into a multi-million dollar brand being a mediocre singer and mediocre actress (she's a bomb dancer though and I guess the gorgeous looks certainly helped) but it is amusing how year after year she's at these shows when she's never nominated for anything and never in anything that's nominated for anything. And guaranteed she'll show up styled and dressed up like she's the biggest damn star there. You do you J-Lo...

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 2

I keep wondering about Mr. Robot, is it really that good? 

Yes.  It's really that good.  And it's fast paced and the season finale (or what became the season finale since the original one never aired) was jaw dropping.  I was totally shocked.  Rami Malek is amazing in it.  He definitely deserved to win.

In case anyone's wondering, Rami Malek was also in The Pacific (the miniseries by Tom Hanks and Spielberg about the Pacific theater of WWII) and he was amazing in that too.  Definitely a scene stealer whenever he was on screen.

• Love 3

You know, while I appreciate Tom Hanks not wanting to give up the once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to present the Cecil B. DeMille award to Denzel because he was felling under the weather, it was obvious that his voice was off so I could have done without the "be nice or I'll give you my cold" or however he put it.

We can TELL you're sick. Bringing attention to it isn't helping anything.

Sorry. It's the broadcaster in me who cringes when people bring things up that make it worse and it also sounds like you're looking for sympathy.

• Love 1

Thank you!  My eyeballs just about fell out of my head when I saw that.  I've never been a K Dunst fan, but I floved her as Peggy in Fargo. I watched the first 5-6 episodes of AHS:Hotel, and while Gaga wasn't as awful as an actress as I thought she'd be, she's not even in the same league as Kirsten.

I hope Kirsten wins the Emmy.

• Love 2

Yes.  It's really that good.  And it's fast paced and the season finale (or what became the season finale since the original one never aired) was jaw dropping.  I was totally shocked.  Rami Malek is amazing in it.  He definitely deserved to win.

In case anyone's wondering, Rami Malek was also in The Pacific (the miniseries by Tom Hanks and Spielberg about the Pacific theater of WWII) and he was amazing in that too.  Definitely a scene stealer whenever he was on screen.

Is that because the show was given a second season?  I've never heard of a different finale.

Edited by cardigirl

They had to pull the original finale because it was scheduled to air on the same date that news reporter and cameraman were murdered on air and the season finale was eerily similar, so they didn't air it to be tasteful.

• Love 1

I guess I can't complain--I mean, it IS the Golden Globes, for cryin' out loud and we EXPECT this kind of thing, but Christian Slater wins for Mr. Robot and not Rami Malek? He was perfection. If you can only watch one episode of MR, please do watch the pilot, he's just spectacular in it. Christian Slater was the weak link all season.

I guess I can't complain--I mean, it IS the Golden Globes, for cryin' out loud and we EXPECT this kind of thing, but Christian Slater wins for Mr. Robot and not Rami Malek? He was perfection. If you can only watch one episode of MR, please do watch the pilot, he's just spectacular in it. Christian Slater was the weak link all season.

I'd say Episode 6 for me. He is riveting the entire episode but that last scene 

when he realizes Shayla's dead body is in the trunk

was absolute perfection. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 1