Type keyword(s) to search

Milestone Moments: All The Celebrity Vitals

• Start Topic

4 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Today is Cher's birthday. 🎂

Excited Cookie Monster GIF by Sesame Street

Who better to help her celebrate her 77th[?!] than Cookie! I'd like to imagine they've met! HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!

• Like 9

Martin Amis, era-defining British novelist, dies aged 73

Martin Amis, the influential author of era-defining novels including Money and London Fields, and the memoir Experience, has died at the age of 73 at his home at Lake Worth in Florida . His wife Isabel Fonseca said that the cause was cancer of the oesophagus.

Amis was among the celebrated group of novelists including Salman Rushdie, Ian McEwan and Julian Barnes, whose works defined the British literary scene in the 1980s.

• Sad 5

I liked Stevenson's take on The Punisher in the fantastically gory, over the top Punisher: War Zone. Also loved his villain character in Big Game, where he is hunting President Samuel L. Jackson and a kid who is doing his coming-of-age ceremony. I'm looking forward to seeing Stevenson in Ahsoka and I'm sad we won't see him in anything else.

• Like 5
(edited)
17 hours ago, Constant Viewer said:

Ray Stevenson passed away. He was Titus Pullo in Rome

His face was familiar and so was his name, but I couldn't think of what movies or TV shows I had seen him in, so I looked him up.  I knew him as Marcus from the 'Divergent' movies and as Volstagg in the Thor movies.  58 is definitely way too young.

Edited by BooksRule
typo
  • Like 3

I loved Ray Stevenson as Titus Pullo in Rome.  I'm a sucker for a great friendship story, and Pullo and Vorenus were right up there with Kirk and Spock, and Lucy and Ethel for me.

He was also mighty fine in the otherwise dreary season 7 of Dexter.

• Like 6
  • Sad 2

He was so good in Rome and I loved him in Black Sails too; the best Edward Teach/Blackbeard imo.

It's going to be bittersweet watching him in Ahsoka now, he looked so great in the trailer.

giphy.gif

• Like 3
  • Sad 5
(edited)

News is breaking that Tina Turner has died at 83. Will update with links.

First update: Will post later as more information becomes available. R.I.P. Ms. Turner!

https://news.sky.com/story/tina-turner-dies-aged-83-12888593

https://deadline.com/2023/05/tina-turner-dead-obituary-rock-soul-singer-was-83-1235378614/

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/tina-turner-dead-obit-192002/

Edited by MissAlmond
  • Mind Blown 3
  • Sad 46

I’m sad to hear Tina Turner has died.  She was one of a kind.  There were so many things to love about her.  I saw her in concert in 2000 in NC.  What a thrill!  I’ll be having a Tina Turner marathon this weekend.  💐🩷

• Like 10
  • Love 5
(edited)

Total gut punch, I was not expecting to hear this at all today. I loved Tina Turner, what a loss. Saw her as part of Divas Live in NYC years ago, she was great, Simply The Best.

Edited by jah1986
Hit send too soon.
  • Like 12
  • Love 7
(edited)

Dammit!  I have been to a lot of concerts in my life, so when the thread in Music asking about our favorites was created, I had a hard time narrowing it down to a list.  But Tina Turner in New Orleans - with Lionel Ritchie as the opening act - made the cut.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 7
  • Love 8
(edited)

There’s a story I remember about her turning down the role of Shug inThe Color Purple.

Allow for time & memory here, but she said something to the effect of, “I don’t have to play the part.  I lived the life.”

Tina!  “Do I love you? my oh my/River deep, mountain high/If I ever lost you, would I cry?…”.

RIP, Queen.

eta: So this just pinged: Whoopi Goldberg (already cast as Celie) responded to the casting rumor thusly: “If I gotta kiss a woman, let it be Tina Turner!”)

Edited by voiceover
  • Like 21
1 hour ago, Spartan Girl said:

It sucks to lose her now. I’m so glad that she was able not only to prove all the racists and ageists wrong with a comeback that proved she was nowhere near past her prime, but also that she escaped Satan Ike and was able to live a full life and find the love she deserved.

Absolutely  and truly one of the best examples of living well being the best revenge.  She was truly amazing and those legs!!  My god.  

• Like 8
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, DearEvette said:

Aw.  RIP Tina.  I saw her documentary last year and was impressed by her all over again.

Same. Although I was annoyed at there being too much discussion of Ike. What more was there to be said at this point? She deserved to be the sole focus, not sharing the spotlight with the specter of her abusive, miserable excuse for a human being ex.

• Like 10
  • Applause 12
17 minutes ago, CountryGirl said:

Same. Although I was annoyed at there being too much discussion of Ike.

I have been pleased to see that things have improved some since the media got called out for putting way too much emphasis on Humphrey Bogart in Lauren Bacall's obituaries, and usually including him in the opening sentence or even headline, that Ike tends not to be mentioned until several paragraphs in on Tina's.

• Like 18

Took my mom to see Tina in the mid 90s, and Chris Isaak was the opening act.  I had to go through a lot to get tickets because they were selling like wildfire.  My mom never forgot that show.  

• Like 13
  • Love 3

I am absolutely stunned that someone as vital and alive as Tina Turner was is now gone. And while I know her career started with Ike, I am of the generation (X, baby!) that was there with her renaissance in the '80s, and she was fire!

This is one of my favorite performances of hers from 1985:

And, apparently, they reunited in 1999 to do it again!

Rest in peace, Tina! Heaven got a LOT more fun today...

• Like 17
  • Love 1