Type keyword(s) to search

S43.E09: What About the Big Girls

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

In a shocking double tribal council, two castaways are blindsided. Also, a revenge plan begins to brew around camp after several castaways were left out of the last tribal council vote.

Original airdate 11/16/22

I don't know if there's anyone left I am rooting against, but I hope that Owen, Karla, and Noelle hang in there, as they are my final 3.  Karla seems like she's in a really good spot, what with Sami "I want to make big moves and control things" overcomplicating a plan to blindside James by trying to get her approval.  Which, I guess I get, but it shows that Sami can't make a big move on his own, and clearly Karla has a lot of influence.  We were reminded of that when Cody and Jesse talked about getting rid of Cassidy to weaken Karla's game.  I am glad James left, and wouldn't have expected him to go out any other way.  I like that Owen didn't let him get the best of him.  Ryan had a much classier exit, and it's clear he was there more for the survival experience than the game itself.  

I would like to see Cody and Jesse leave next.  Sami and Gabler would be right behind them.  Overall, a much better episode that actually redeemed the season for me instead of completely tanking it.

• Like 3
  • Love 16

So happy to see James gone and even happier to see him so mad after he got voted off.

Was very worried for Cassidy when I saw the teams in the challenge and was even more worried when they started her backstory.  Glad to see she survived.

• Like 1
  • Love 23

I'm glad about Cassidy's survival.  I'll be sorta pissed if she's the next to go however.  Ryan handled things with class unlike James.  Great play from Owen, and really Noelle and the advantage!

• Like 2
  • Love 15

I wish we could have seen how Sami's move to bring Karla in didn't blow up in their faces and/or why she ended up flipping on James. Maybe next week. The two of them and Noelle are all going to try and claim this as a big move (Noelle for using the advantage, Sami for bringing Karla in and not making an enemy of her, Karla for flipping on her #1). 

I'm a big fan of Jesse and I'm starting to worry he's not long for this world. He and Cody are getting too comfy slash oblivious to the giant target they are painting on their backs.

The contrast of James and Ryan and how they went out was...stark. 

• Like 1
  • Love 18

Adios, James! Now I’ll no longer think my directv signal is going out whenever you start to talk. 

I loved Ryan’s backstory and he is a survivor but he was not made for the game of survivor. 

Edited by UGAmp
  • Like 2
  • LOL 5
  • Love 8
28 minutes ago, jsm1125 said:

Why did James single out Owen even as far back as the last episode, when Noelle and Gabler also were voting against James from the start of the merge?

I have no idea.  I think it was for the sake of doing so.  To be fair, Owen voted for Ryan the second time around.  Gabler apparently never put James' name down.  Noelle did, but whatever.  Dwight, not Gabe, voted James.

At the end of the day, James was the real bad guy.  Totally made up the double vote

• Love 2
1 hour ago, LadyChatts said:

Ryan had a much classier exit, and it's clear he was there more for the survival experience than the game itself. 

Ryan's comments about getting to fish in both this episode and the last made me like him better. He wasn't my favorite, but it was cool seeing someone just be like "hey, this is pretty neat!" about the environmental part of Survivor. And his straightforward "people didn't think I could help them as much as I thought I could" (I feel like he said it better than that) in his final comments was very cool as well. 

6 minutes ago, UGAmp said:

Adios, James! Now I’ll no longer think my directv signal is going out whenever you start to talk. 

Was it just me, or did James only seem to have the rasp during Tribal Council? Every episode I wouldn't notice it at all, and suddenly he's at TC and it's gravel city. Weird.

Overall, though...both votes went pretty much the way I wanted, but I still can't get too excited about these goings-on.

Thank the Survivor gods James and his froggy voice is gone.  I had to mute the tv every time he spoke.  So annoying, especially when James has the frog in his throat combined with his rapid fire mumbling.  Cody’s ‘brah’/Jeff Spicoli speech pattern is pretty irksome as well.

Karla is pretty bad ass. And I like Nicole.  Beyond that, meh to everyone else left.  I haven’t been really into Survivor for a few seasons, so it’s really just on as background noise while I do other stuff.  I don’t know if I will finish the season since I don’t care about the game like I did even 5 years ago.  Too many idols, too many “twists” & HII’s…just not able to keep my attention.

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

I'm one of the few that liked James, but a good blindside by other people I like is very satisfying.  The faces of the others coming in to tribal and seeing that James was voted out was hilarious.  So glad that Karla won immunity and has strong bonds outside of James.

Do they not do separate reward and immunity challenges anymore?  Other than a couple of the final episodes last season, this is the first season in years that I've watched Survivor. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

That challenge was quick to fall apart if you lost a moment of focus. Well done, Karla- as a woman who has had more than one hand issue and surgeries I can tell you that was a sacrifice to hang on that long. It was making my hands ache just watching!

James will not be missed. He was incredulous that Owen wasn't happy to be lied to. And then the "Let's see how far you go" after he was voted out- what??? 

So glad this game got shaken up. It was definitely time.

• Love 10

James going was long overdue. Good Riddance. Him and his scratchy voice can stew over there in the jury. I was nervous for Cassidy, but thank God she was spared. At least Ryan was more gracious in his exit.

Still love Noelle. Nice use of her steal a vote to get the ball rolling of the blindside of James. Glad to see that Karla pulled off immunity with a hand injury. For Cody winning immunity... whatever.  

• Like 1
  • Love 1

...and suddenly, there are more remaining players I find tolerable than not. It's been a while. Next to go, hopefully: Jeff's "British" accent.

Noelle's "Anybody want a papaya?" gave the show its long-overdue equivalent of Big Brother's immortal "Anybody want cake?"

• LOL 4
  • Love 6
5 hours ago, Kitty Redstone said:

Do they not do separate reward and immunity challenges anymore?  Other than a couple of the final episodes last season, this is the first season in years that I've watched Survivor. 

They still do some separate reward challenges pre/post merge, though with the reduced time spent on the island (26 days) and accelerated pace, the reward challenges have been more often combined with the immunity challenges in this 'new era' of Survivor. I imagine it's also harder for them to do some of the standard pre-Covid rewards that involved interacting with more people, like visiting to a luxury campsite/spa or the loved ones visit. They probably could do more reward challenges pre-merge if they dropped the "contestants go on a journey and make a choice" segments.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3

I thought for sure Cassidy was a goner when she got to tell her story along with the sad music.

Maybe I haven't been paying enough attention but I feel like I never knew James, except that a lot of survivors didn't like him.  I don't have much feeling about most of the players.  This last episode was the first time I've gotten any sense of who Noelle is.  I guess I like all the remaining women.  I don't dislike the men; Cody seems to be playing well, Jesse has kept his mouth shut about his idol (as far as we know), Owen seems nice enough, Gabler has toned down the paranoia, and Sami seems to be well liked.  I was sorry to see Ryan go because I remember his story about being physically challenged as a kid and [shallow] he's very attractive [/shallow].  I dunno, I'm mostly meh about the whole cast.  Shrug.  It's not a memorable season.

I really wish we could see videos of Ponderosa.  I'm sure Janine and Ryan would have interesting things to say.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 9

Wow, I'm sure there have been arrogant players on Survivor before, but I don't remember one as nasty as James.  What I didn't understand was how he built up that power and control in the game to begin with.  What a sore loser.  I loved Ryan and would have kept him.   I don't think he would have been a threat to win if he got to final three.  He just seemed to go along to get along.  

I'm rooting for Sami or Owen.  Sami is only 19 and played so far a very good strategic game IMO.  I don't have a lot of love for Karla.  I remember a comment she made once when Ryan was out fishing and she was strategizing.  And she said something like he thinks we'll keep him if he feeds us (I'm paraphrasing).  It was pretty patronizing.  I like Cody too.   They portrayed him as sort of a crazy renegade in the beginning, but he is a solid physical and strategic player.  

The James eviction was worth the whole series that has been pretty dull to date.  

2 minutes ago, weaver said:

Wow, I'm sure there have been arrogant players on Survivor before, but I don't remember one as nasty as James.  What I didn't understand was how he built up that power and control in the game to begin with.  What a sore loser.  I loved Ryan and would have kept him.   I don't think he would have been a threat to win if he got to final three.  He just seemed to go along to get along.  

I'm rooting for Sami or Owen.  Sami is only 19 and played so far a very good strategic game IMO.  I don't have a lot of love for Karla.  I remember a comment she made once when Ryan was out fishing and she was strategizing.  And she said something like he thinks we'll keep him if he feeds us (I'm paraphrasing).  It was pretty patronizing.  I like Cody too.   They portrayed him as sort of a crazy renegade in the beginning, but he is a solid physical and strategic player.  

The James eviction was worth the whole series that has been pretty dull to date.  Did he not do an interview post eviction?   Ryan was gracious as he had been throughout.  

• Love 5

So, I loved that group one took out James. His voice was starting to really grate, and his condescending attitude toward Owen was getting too much for me. I get his point about the whole voting thing and if it was just about not being able to trust Owen, I'd get it. But he seemed overly upset with Owen merely writing his name down. So it seemed entirely personal and a petty move, rather than a logical move to get out a threat to his game. That's what bugs me the most.

As for Karla voting James out instead of sticking to Owen, I do wonder her thought process and I'm not entirely sure if it was her best move, but she's currently in the best position of the game with a lot of allies so maybe she didn't feel like she needed James if she had other allies. We saw how many this episode turned to Karla as an ally. I do worry she may have put herself in a bad position, though, as James was a great shield for her a couple of Tribals down the line.

I was thrilled to see Karla win immunity as well. With so many challenges geared for strength, hence benefitting the men more, Karla really held her own against most of them. And I'm so glad Noelle wasn't a factor this time. I enjoyed seeing her try to game her advantage and James'. I don't think she wasted her advantage (she had to anticipate secret idols being in play), but she took a really huge risk by stealing Owen's vote instead of James'. She's VERY lucky it paid off.

But good riddance, James. You just know he's going to be a bitter juror with how he stormed out of Tribal and muttered that line about "let's see how far you get [without me]". You almost WANT him to be in F3 not to spoil someone else's game because he's so salty.

As for group two, that one was a bit more confusing in terms of the vote. I think Jesse made a very valid point about Ryan not being a strategic threat so keeping him seemed to be the better option. However, I also think getting rid of Cassidy would have turned Karla against Jesse/Cody and, thus, could have had the numbers to target them instead. So if that was the thought process, I get it. I also think it might have put them in a worse spot than Karla voting out James. 

They also got me worried with Cassidy getting her backstory on her sister's death. It does suck Ryan left; he went out on better terms and, overall, as much as I hated seeing him throw comps to get Cassidy out (hers was the real revenge arc), he seemed like a great guy overall. Just not a very good player, which is why I actually think Cassidy would have been the smarter move.

But funny how one revenge arc failed and the other succeeded.

Still rooting for Karla the most to win, but I think Noelle, Sami and Owen are on that list as well (Owen more so because I like him personally).

• Like 3
  • Love 3

Did we know Karla and Sami had such a close relationship? I still think Karla has the best/a winner's edit but they do appear to be hiding just how integral she is a bit. Makes me wonder even more if she's the winner and they're just trying to create some suspense.

• Like 2
  • Love 4
21 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

Did we know Karla and Sami had such a close relationship? I still think Karla has the best/a winner's edit but they do appear to be hiding just how integral she is a bit. Makes me wonder even more if she's the winner and they're just trying to create some suspense.

See I thought that Sami was the clever one in that relationship.  He seemed to be a key player on both sides without exposing himself too overtly.   But I don’t remember all the past scenes in the episodes that were boring.   Sami is impressive for a 19 year old.  However I think the editing hasn’t focused on him enough for him to be the winner.  

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, weaver said:

See I thought that Sami was the clever one in that relationship.  He seemed to be a key player on both sides without exposing himself too overtly.   But I don’t remember all the past scenes in the episodes that I found boring.   Sami is impressive for a 19 year old.  However I think the editing hasn’t focused on him enough for him to be the winner.   

I am so tired of "stand here and hold this" challenges. I like to see people run around and do stuff.  Endurance challenges definitely have their place but it seems like they are coming up more and more.  Do the producers not want to bother with setting up challenges with more pieces or do they not have the funds or...?  Even memory challenges that don't require a whole lot of running around can shake things up.  But I do like seeing people run around like maniacs.  From my couch.  With my popcorn.

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 10
1 hour ago, Lady Calypso said:

I was thrilled to see Karla win immunity as well. With so many challenges geared for strength, hence benefitting the men more, Karla really held her own against most of them. And I'm so glad Noelle wasn't a factor this time. I enjoyed seeing her try to game her advantage and James'. I don't think she wasted her advantage (she had to anticipate secret idols being in play), but she took a really huge risk by stealing Owen's vote instead of James'. She's VERY lucky it paid off.

She knew it was a huge risk but it was needed to assure James that the vote was going to be on Owen so that James wouldn't get spooked.  They did talk through the numbers and she only needed 3.  I didn't see the votes but I assume that everyone voted for James and he voted for Owen.  Did everyone in the other tribal vote for Ryan?

Was it just me, or did James only seem to have the rasp during Tribal Council? 

No, his voice was like that when he and Owen were arguing back at camp, and it was like that during his post-eviction speech. It's just more noticeable at tribal because he's projecting louder. I hope when he gives post-show interviews someone asks him exactly what's wrong with his voice. It's like his sound system isn't hooked up properly.

This episode felt like it was somewhat anointing of Karla as a potential winner, which I would be fine with. 

Agreed. I got that vibe too. I think the giveaway was Sami's need for her cooperation in the James vote. We had seen no apparent connection between the two of them prior to this episode, except for the fact that Sami voted with everyone else last week. And Jesse and Cody seemed to be basing their voting strategy on how best to appease Karla. Everyone seems to be orbiting around her.

The next smartest move would be for Karla, Noelle, Cassidy, Owen and Sami to target Jesse and Cody. I hope they do. 

And Gabler is looking more and more a likely F3 goat. Nobody seems to be targeting him either but I wouldn't see him getting a lot of votes if any.

• Like 2
  • Love 3

Of the final 8, Karla, Cody, Jesse have idols, although only Cody’s is known.  To me, this makes Cody target #1. 

Any other remaining advantages?   I wonder if KIP will be resident to curse someone else?

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Haleth said:

I was sorry to see Ryan go because I remember his story about being physically challenged as a kid and [shallow] he's very attractive [/shallow]. 

Shallow perhaps, but as good a reason as any to watch.  

I had no particular opinion on James one way or the other until the last few episodes when he really seemed to show his arrogance.  I really don't like the characters who seem to be fairly comfortable in a giant alliance, suddenly deciding they're the kingmaker and it's ok to treat others like shit.  His fixation on Owen, even going as far as trying to gaslight Owen into thinking his lying to Owen about who to vote for was really about trying to build trust was really the final straw for me, and I was glad to see the back of him.  He's going to be a bitter juror.

• Like 4
  • Love 5
16 hours ago, knitorpurl said:

That challenge was quick to fall apart if you lost a moment of focus.

When half of them were out then Jeff announced it had only been ten minutes, I was totally surprised. I thought they had to have been standing there for at least half an hour at that point.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

had no particular opinion on James one way or the other until the last few episodes when he really seemed to show his arrogance.  I really don't like the characters who seem to be fairly comfortable in a giant alliance, suddenly deciding they're the kingmaker and it's ok to treat others like shit.  His fixation on Owen, even going as far as trying to gaslight Owen into thinking his lying to Owen about who to vote for was really about trying to build trust was really the final straw for me, and I was glad to see the back of him. 

And I have a hunch they sort of played up James' assy behavior to service a satisfying boot. He did come off rather badly after that dust-up with Owen, and I wonder if they would have bothered to show that if they had voted off Owen instead. There hasn't been much in the way of a "villain" this season.

• Like 1
  • Love 4

I'm sorry to see Ryan go, but I was sooo happy to see the power move that got James out.  That was smart of Noelle to tell James she was using her steal-a-vote to take Owen's vote and use it against him.  That had enough of a ring of truth to it that it satisfied James, and lulled him into a false sense of security.  I'm glad his smug, patronizing ass is gone.

The joy on Owen's face when he was in the middle of all the scheming and strategizing was nice to see after how isolated he'd felt before.  I loved to see how eager Jeanine was about James being so blindsided.  At least with a double elimination, she's not stuck alone at Ponderosa with James!

Jesse is proving to be a deep strategizer.  I hope exposing that to those he was strategizing with isn't going to make him a target.

So.  What was the deal with the comment from the "losing" tribe about the camp smelling like Cody's pee?

• Love 6
1 hour ago, HurricaneVal said:

What was the deal with the comment from the "losing" tribe about the camp smelling like Cody's pee?

Someone (Jesse?) said it smells like that because Cody pees everywhere. If that was actually true and not just a joke, that would be more than enough reason for me to get him out. That's so nasty. They all laughed it off though so hopefully it was exaggerated.

• Fire 1
  • Love 2
23 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

Someone (Jesse?) said it smells like that because Cody pees everywhere. If that was actually true and not just a joke, that would be more than enough reason for me to get him out. That's so nasty. They all laughed it off though so hopefully it was exaggerated.

The "losing" tribe were the ones who had to go back to the old Vesi beach (site of the alleged pee smell), so it wasn't Jesse. I think it might have been Noelle? She was in a spirited mood at that TC, and is in general one of my few highlights to hold on to as this season grinds on.

I do think the comment was said in jest, as part of the light-hearted "Vesi beach sucks" conversation they were having.

EDIT: Just checked a recap and it was Owen who made this comment.

Edited by tracyscott76

TV Line has an interview with James posted.What is interesting is this question:

TVLINE | What’s something juicy from your time out on the island that wasn’t shown on TV?

One of the things they didn’t show, before the Dwight vote-out, I gave Sami my Knowledge Is Power before Tribal. That may have been good gameplay or bad gameplay, but that was me demonstrating trust with Sami and hoping it would give us more numbers moving forward.

He doesn't say he reclaimed KiP after. I assume he did, but I wonder if that might be another reveal about to come up, and all the working around KiP wasn't actually needed. 

• Useful 1
58 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

I was thinking it meant he was figuratively marking his territory, not actually urinating. I can hope.

• LOL 2
6 hours ago, violet and green said:

That was a more satisfying episode, but I still have nothing to say. Being a lone Cody fan, I am really pleased he's not being targeted to this point. Also good to see Owen survive another tribal. 

There are plenty of Cody fans including me.  Please don't assume a few people posting on a forum that don't like him make an overwhelming majority against him. 

Psychologically what I've seen on forums is that once several people declare they either like or don't like a contestant then there tends to be a piling on and people who think otherwise tend to keep silent not wanting to feel like an outcast on the forum.  One of the worst features of these sites.  This forum is not bad on the whole though.  But the old Television Without Pity site was notoriously horrid that way though especially in the forums that Miss Allie ruled the roost and banned people who disagreed even mildly with anything she said.  This forum is a breath of fresh air compared to that tragic site.

Anyway not saying anyone here is trying to force their point of view over anyone else.  Just it is human psychology to want to fit in with the group usually.

Also I never noticed James' voice and even if I did he can't help how his voice sounds any more than what gender he is or how tall he is.  I'm fine with all voices.

Edited by Skooma
  • Love 6
56 minutes ago, Skooma said:

There are plenty of Cody fans including me. Please don't assume a few people posting on a forum that don't like him make an overwhelming majority against him. 

Realistically, on this forum, there is an overwhelming majority against him.  I have been vocal about liking Cody, and Sami, and there has been very little agreement, shall we say. I am glad you are also a Cody fan. But I would dispute "plenty" in regards to the threads on this season here.

Also, please don't assume I don't know how the hive mind works!

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
13 minutes ago, violet and green said:

Realistically, on this forum, there is an overwhelming majority against him.  I have been vocal about liking Cody, and Sami, and there has been very little agreement, shall we say. I am glad you are also a Cody fan. But I would dispute "plenty" in regards to the threads on this season here.

Also, please don't assume I don't know how the hive mind works!

I'm not.  Just sad that you thought you were a lone Cody fan as you termed it was all.  It was that phrase "lone Cody fan" that hit me hard. 

I'm sure there are others here too like I said.  They just may not feel that comfortable speaking up is my whole point.  I certainly wasn't dissing you, rather I was respecting you speaking up. 

And again I don't know if the majority of the readers of this forum are for or against Cody in general.  No way to really tell since only some people post who they like or even post at all.  And there are people probably that don't care one way or the other.

Like I said several episodes ago I like Cody because he entertains me and Karla because she is smart and Sami and Jesse because they are trying to play the game and Gabler because he is totally crazy in his moves and actions half the time.  And I'll add here I will miss Ryan because he seemed to be there for the right reason - an adventure of a lifetime. 

I also liked James and think the editing wanted to push a negative line on him for the vote out tonight.  It seemed it was Owen who was over the top not letting James get a word in edgewise.  If you are out of the loop you play it cool.  We have seen other players on the outside keep their cool this season and work their way back into said loop.  Same for every season of Survivor.  Owen isn't a good gamer letting his emotions run wild it seems to me. 

And if Owen was out of the loop last week that was because EVERYBODY else kept him out of said loop and James was just the messenger at worst.  I mean why didn't someone else fill him in?  Something seems off with the whole "story" on tonight's episode because of that.

• Love 1

Make up did a good job on Jeanine's chin.

James's voice transforming mid-episode into "Satchmo" Louis Armstrong's was amusing as was his bitterness when he got Julius Ceasared.

Just as well Cass stayed. Voting her out would be slightly more impactful than your average Red Shirt's death on Star Trek. I did think she was going when suddenly the dead sister backstory card got played.

All in all last season's castaways are casting a long shadow over this year's group as there are no standouts despite the producers best attempts with Cody and Gabler.

• Love 2
On 11/16/2022 at 8:11 PM, LadyChatts said:

Karla seems like she's in a really good spot

A good spot in terms of making a deep run, maybe - but in terms of winning?  Not so sure (see below).

what with Sami "I want to make big moves and control things" overcomplicating a plan to blindside James by trying to get her approval.  Which, I guess I get, but it shows that Sami can't make a big move on his own, and clearly Karla has a lot of influence. 

I dunno; IMHO the entire Karla/Sami interaction reflected better on Sami’s game skills and influence than it did Karla’s. I saw their interaction as less about Sami needing Karla’s approval, and more about Sami’s (apparently accurate) perception that to present the “target James” option in such a light would be the optimal approach to effectively sway/play Karla.

We were reminded of that when Cody and Jesse talked about getting rid of Cassidy to weaken Karla's game.

Another point of concern for Karla; her game is already being considered worrisome enough to others to warrant targeting/weakening.

On 11/16/2022 at 11:13 PM, PhoneCop said:

Noelle's "Anybody want a papaya?" gave the show its long-overdue equivalent of Big Brother's immortal "Anybody want cake?"

Damned if I didn’t think the exact same thing.  😆

• Like 1
  • Love 2
20 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

That reminded me of an early season with Bryan (I think? The douchey used car dealer who, if memory serves, was the first to use the goat strategy with an ever bigger douche than he was).  He pissed all over the cave they were living in and no one ever stood up to him for it.  Thankfully Cody doesn't seem anything like that guy!

13 hours ago, Skooma said:

But the old Television Without Pity site was notoriously horrid that way though especially in the forums that Miss Allie ruled the roost and banned people who disagreed even mildly with anything she said. 

I remember her intense hate-on for Parvati (someone I didn't care for one way or the other) drove me away from reading the recaps.  It was that disturbing.

• Applause 1
  • Love 2