Type keyword(s) to search

Season 39 Final Jeopardy! Contest

saber5055
  • Start Topic

Week 27:  1/5.

Disappointing week. I got "Howl" right off the bat on Monday, but then hovered around the correct answer the next four days without hitting the target. 😏

I said Kazakhstan on Tuesday, thinking more about landlocked than empire. Getting to Asia, but not the Mongols. Naming the largest landlocked nation instead of the second largest. 

On Wednesday, I knew they were looking for a Dutch artist, so I went back and forth between Rembrandt and Van Gogh. I knew Van Gogh was already dead by 1898, but didn't know for sure if his popularity had already begun to rise by that time. I figured that Rembrandt would already have been well celebrated, so I went with Van Gogh. Oops.

After blanking for almost the entire 30 seconds on Thursday, I had just enough time to write down "The Untouchables," which seemed to be a viable answer. DiPalma was a well-respected director in the '80s and the film had western undertones as well as intrigue. I thought I'd nailed it. Alas... I literally facepalmed when Raiders was announced as the correct answer. So obvious; can't believe I missed it.

Friday, I wrote down Montana, thinking of Montana's Jeannette Rankin becoming the first woman to hold federal office. At the last moment I figured it could be Wyoming with women being first granted the right to vote there, but I stuck with my original choice. Both states were admitted within a year of each other; Montana in 1889, Wyoming in the correct year of 1890. So close.

I'll bring some St. Joseph's pastry to the table for Sunday's feast day.

Screenshot_20230317_204803_DuckDuckGo.jpg

• Like 6
  • Mind Blown 2

Week 27: 2/5 with 1* (Wednesday).
Bringing a quiche, your favorite flavor. In one of my jobs we sometimes had people coming from out of town for meetings. At lunch, if they looked at the menu and asked, "What is a kwitchy?" we knew not to be too daring when we chose a place for dinner.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • LOL 2

Week 27 – March 13 – Two Asterisks **

117.     Literature - A 2006 book was titled "The Poem That Changed America:" this "Fifty Years Later"

118.     Countries of the World - Part of the largest contiguous land empire during the 1200s & 1300s, today it's the world's second-largest landlocked country

119.*   Art Exhibitions - In 1898 what's been called the first blockbuster art show was devoted to him & put on for Queen Wilhelmina's coronation

120.*   1980s Movies - A writer & producer of this movie said he wanted it to be like a Western or James Bond film, "only it takes place in the '30s"

121.     Statehood - Congress relented in 1890 after this prospective state said it would wait 100 years rather than come in without the women

• Thanks 4

2/5* - got Mongolia and Raiders of the Lost Ark - though that one might have been helped by having just read an article about Ke Huy Quan reuniting with Harrison Ford ahead of the Oscars.

And, I learned that Kazakhstan is considered landlocked!

• Like 4
  • Applause 1

A good week for me.

I got 4/5 and 2*. I did not get Mongolia; my son got it and I figured he was correct when I heard his answer but I did not get it on my own.

• Like 1
  • Applause 4

2/5 with 1*. I knew it was an Indiana Jones movie but for some reason only Temple of Doom came to mind. Partial credit?

As a good Catholic girl, I know March 19 is the Feast of St. Joseph, but @ProudMarywhat are St. Joseph pastry? They look yummy! 

Edited by Good Queen Jane
  • Like 6
9 minutes ago, Good Queen Jane said:

As a good Catholic girl, I know March 19 is the Feast of St. Joseph, but @ProudMarywhat are St. Joseph pastry? They look yummy! 

It's Italian/Italian-American. Often called St. Joseph's Zeppole as some people deep fry the pastry dough and others bake it. The cream filling can vary also, depending on who's making them. I've most often had them with pastry cream similar to that in an eclair or cream puffs, but I've also had them with cannoli cream. They're all yummy!

• Like 3
On 3/18/2023 at 3:13 AM, Browncoat said:

Oh!  I forgot that Raiders was an asterisk!  I amend my earlier post to 3/5 with an asterisk.

Got it.

On 3/18/2023 at 8:24 AM, helpmerhonda said:

2/5 - just Mongolia and Wyoming for me.

I don't have anything for you last week - did I miss it?

23 hours ago, Welshman in Ca said:

Miserable 1/5.

I don't have anything for you last week either, did I miss you too?

14 hours ago, Good Queen Jane said:

2/5 with 1*. I knew it was an Indiana Jones movie but for some reason only Temple of Doom came to mind. Partial credit?

Gave it a lot of thought. But ultimately it came down to if we gave that partial credit, then we'd have to give partial credit to all wrong answers that were part of a series (books and movies) but weren't the actual answer. Maybe next year we could put in a "Close but no Cigar" element.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Like 2
  • Applause 1
22 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Gave it a lot of thought. But ultimately it came down to if we gave that partial credit, then we'd have to give partial credit to all wrong answers that were part of a series (books and movies) but weren't the actual answer. Maybe next year we could put in a "Close but no Cigar" element.

I'm sorry, @Clanstarling. That was just my attempt at being funny because of my own mistake. If it would not have been considered correct on the show, I should not get credit for it. I appreciate all the work you are doing keeping the contest going in @saber5055's regrettable absence.

• Like 5
  • Love 1
18 minutes ago, Good Queen Jane said:

I'm sorry, @Clanstarling. That was just my attempt at being funny because of my own mistake. If it would not have been considered correct on the show, I should not get credit for it. I appreciate all the work you are doing keeping the contest going in @saber5055's regrettable absence.

Please don't be sorry because I didn't catch the humor.  I vaguely recalled some exceptions earlier in the contest, but didn't remember for what. Besides, it gave me something about, and allowed me to come up with a logical reason to say no. 😆 I hate saying no...

• Like 2
51 minutes ago, Good Queen Jane said:

29 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

Please don't be sorry because I didn't catch the humor.  I vaguely recalled some exceptions earlier in the contest, but didn't remember for what. Besides, it gave me something about, and allowed me to come up with a logical reason to say no. 😆 I hate saying no...

I can't find it now, but someone on this thread or the main thread in the past month said they knew FJ, but because the other person watching with them called it out, the poster didn't take credit for it. 
I do think they should have taken credit, but that's up to the person submitting their score.
So, @Clanstarling, don't worry about exceptions unless you find it to be a fun brain exercise. 😉🧠🤸🏻‍♀️

• Thanks 1

4/5 with 1* thanks to a lot of lucky guessing - the guessiest (TM Grundoon) of all was for Wyoming - I almost went with the Montana route but something made me change my mind at the last second. 

Totally remember where I was when I saw Indiana Jones in a theater for the first time but couldn't have come up with that answer if you paid me a million dollars.  

• Like 2
  • Wink 1
  • Applause 4

Week twenty-seven: four of five, with both asterisks! I'm not up on my beat poets. But the rest of the week hit my good categories. I, too, play Globle and knew about Mongolia, I've seen the Night Watch by Rembrandt in Amsterdam, Raiders of the Lost Ark is one of my favorite movies, and my dad was born in Wyoming!

• Applause 5

Week 28: 5/5 + 1*.
Bringing strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, and blackberries (my favorite).  
If Ken could zap someone with lightning, I wonder whom he would choose.

• Like 1
  • Applause 6
  • LOL 1
1 hour ago, ams1001 said:

I have soup and salad if anyone's interested.

I'll be right over!
And I'm bringing some Baby Bok Choy and a package of mixed gourmet mushrooms to add to the soup (if it's that kind of soup).

1 hour ago, Driad said:

Week 28: 5/5 + 1*.
Bringing strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, and blackberries (my favorite).  
If Ken could zap someone with lightning, I wonder whom he would choose.

Woo-hoo!
Way to go, @Driad🤸🏻‍♀️💯🎉🥇

This was a good week for me too:
Week 28:
2/5: Thurs: Bond, James Bond; Fri: Less Than

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
3 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

And I'm bringing some Baby Bok Choy and a package of mixed gourmet mushrooms to add to the soup (if it's that kind of soup).

It's just Lipton noodle soup. You can add whatever you like.

• Like 2
  • Love 1