Type keyword(s) to search

Season 39 Final Jeopardy! Contest

saber5055
  • Start Topic

Week 21 4/5 with 1*.

Week 22-back to normal--2/5, 0*.

But week 21 was my birthday and I just got back from a week of vacation, so I was definitely feeling good. The universe apparently gave me good J! as a gift!

All I have right now are homemade butterscotch cookies, but you are all welcome to share!

• Like 5
  • Fire 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 2

4/5 - couldn't get anywhere near mantra in my brain - maybe more meditation would help?  Got barbed wire, Peter Pan and HRE quickly - Aachen took longer but got there in the nick of time. 

Once more, weird television habits to the rescue - a rewatched QI episode discussed the barbed wire museum, history & travel programs helped and I spent a bit of time recently unsuccessfully trying to find a way to stream a show called Peter Pan Goes Wrong.  

I made Swedish meatballs with egg noodles over the weekend - happy to share.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 3
46 minutes ago, Grundoon59 said:

Once more, weird television habits to the rescue - a rewatched QI episode discussed the barbed wire museum, history & travel programs helped and I spent a bit of time recently unsuccessfully trying to find a way to stream a show called Peter Pan Goes Wrong. 

When I went to college, the main road was "Annie Glidden" and I was told by my parents that, no matter what, I was to find out who Annie Glidden was!! Niece of Joseph Glidden, barbed wire creator, for the record. Still missed FJ though.

• Like 5
  • Mind Blown 2
  • Hugs 1
49 minutes ago, Grundoon59 said:

Love me some QI and it's the reason I subscribe to Britbox.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

@Welshman in Ca- I discovered QI during pandemic times and have watched all past season episodes available on Britbox. 

I am trying to prevent myself from racing through the new season to savor the "new car smell" of watching each episode for the first time.  But they are delightful on rewatch as well - kind of my go to show for laughs/enlightenment.  

• Like 1

I'm watching season T of QI and nearly wet my pants laughing over Bill Bailey's home zoo and the fighting cock who's had the "fight" bred out of him. I don't think it would be nearly as funny without Davies egging him on. Those two are hysterical together.

Edited by Prevailing Wind
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
On 2/12/2023 at 1:32 PM, Ailianna said:

All I have right now are homemade butterscotch cookies, but you are all welcome to share!

50 years ago I actually had a job as a cookie maker in a natural foods store, but I haven't made cookies in about 25 years, so I'm offering these from Twitter for Valentine's day--which look nothing like any cookies I ever made, but do look like cookies my daughters might make:

valentine-cookies.thumb.jpg.83c3d4925ea7b3851fb3c7f9e45b6b70.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
22 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

2/5 this week -- Monday and Friday.

Same here.

20 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

After doing so well last week, this week is 0/5.  Obviously, no asterisks.  I'm bringing Emotional Support Rings to the table. (regular glazed or chocolate?)

Glazed, please.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1

Week 23 – Feb. 13, 2023

99. Words from World War 1 - "Cistern" & "reservoir" were suggested names for a secret invention, but the British preferred this less clumsy monosyllable

100. Art & Science – It was visited by Giotto and is traditionally given as a possible explanation for the Star of Bethlehem

101. US Military - Losses over Asia in the 1960s led to the establishment of the program known as this at a San Diego naval base in 1969

102. Sports - In 2010 they introduced the 4-point shot, 35 feet from the basket103. National Parks - It's named for a river indigenous people called Mi tse a-da-zi, translated by French-speaking trappers as "Pierre Jaune"

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4
12 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

After doing so well last week, this week is 0/5.  Obviously, no asterisks.  I'm bringing Emotional Support Rings to the table. (regular glazed or chocolate?)

Any chance of getting a jelly one (even though it isn’t a zero shape)? 
Bad week for me.  0/5 

8 hours ago, Driad said:

2/5, I'm sinking fast. Bringing a variety of beverages (alcoholic and not) so everyone can drink deep.

I’d like to please have one with alcohol. It’s medicinal after my week. 

• Like 1
  • Hugs 5

Week 23: 0/5

YTD: 46/115 four *, two C *

No idea on most of them this week. I knew jaune would be yellow, so I tried to think of a National Park, could only think yellow river, but that didn't lead me to Yellowstone!

• Like 1
  • Hugs 5

1/5 - I initially way overthought Friday’s by focusing on the indigenous name, and then continued reading to see the French. I didn’t think it would be as clear as jaune = yellow —> Yellowstone, but it saved me from another zero week. 

• Like 5
  • Applause 3

Week 23: 1/5.

I only got Top Gun this week. On Friday, I didn't read the clue closely enough, saw "jaune" as "jeune" and accordingly, thought "young" instead of "yellow." 🤦‍♀️ Pierre, to me, is just Peter. I didn't know it can also mean stone, although that makes sense. Peter Young National Park anyone? 😄

• Like 1
  • Wink 1
  • Fire 1
  • LOL 6

3/5 - tank, Top Gun, & Yellowstone. For my misses I guessed North Star & NBA. 
This week’s king cake is a Banana Foster’s from Brennan’s, originator of Banana’s Foster. I cannot even describe how good this was, and I will be getting another one before king cake season ends Tuesday. 

• Like 4
  • Fire 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 1
On 2/18/2023 at 1:29 PM, Toothbrush said:

3/5 - tank, Top Gun, & Yellowstone. For my misses I guessed morning star/Venus & NBA. Yellowstone was entirely luck though because I literally couldn't think of anything else and I followed the "write anything is better than nothing" rule.

I had a weirdly long and painful week, so J! was a bit of a relief valve. I'm missing Ken already. I was hoping the fact they didn't tell us about Mayim returning until Friday's game meant that it wasn't true!

• Like 4
  • Hugs 3
  • Applause 1

Went 3/5 with Halley's Comet (thank you Murdoch Mysteries!!!!!!), the Globetrotters (totally a guess) and Yellowstone (long ago French classes to the rescue). 

Saw my new doctor today - overall a good visit but as usual stepping on the office scales renewed my intention to diet.  Unfortunately I had already stopped to buy some paczki for tomorrow so I will happily share with everyone - as if that will stop me from eating them (🤣).  I got the raspberry variety- dang are they good - only about 12,000 calories per serving. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 4
  • Love 1