Type keyword(s) to search

Season 39 Final Jeopardy! Contest

saber5055
  • Start Topic

Week ending 02/24  (I'm not watching, so I'm getting FJ at "thejeopardyfan.com" and today's is already there.

My results, not that this is any great accomplishment this week: 5/5

I'll bring the Fried Pimiento Cheese... (see? There's 5 of 'em)  Served with a bourbon pepper jelly. It was way more delicious than it sounds.

2021.10.04 Fried Pimiento Cheese.jpg

• Like 1
  • Applause 8

Week 24 – Feb. 20, 2023

104. Writers & the South - In 1939 he lived on Toulouse Street in the French Quarter & chose the professional name that bonded him to the South

105. Current World Leaders - In office from 2022, the president of this country has taken so many foreign trips a play on his name is "Ferdinand Magellan Jr."

106. People and Places - Thought to descend from people of Southeast Asia, the Chamorro make up this U.S. territory's largest ethnic group

107. Famous Names - For a special 1970s cookbook, he provided one simple recipe--a can of Campbell's tomato soup & 2 cans of milk

108. The Ancient World - The ancient writer Galen said books on ships arriving to this city's port were seized, originals kept & copies returned

• Thanks 5

5/5 and all instagets. Clearly something abnormal going on, and I'm guessing that it will never happen again, or when we have grown up questions. 

I'll bring miracle cookies--homemade dough and butterscotch chips. 

• Applause 10
On 2/24/2023 at 7:36 PM, Clanstarling said:

Week 24 – Feb. 20, 2023

104. Writers & the South - In 1939 he lived on Toulouse Street in the French Quarter & chose the professional name that bonded him to the South

105. Current World Leaders - In office from 2022, the president of this country has taken so many foreign trips a play on his name is "Ferdinand Magellan Jr."

106. People and Places - Thought to descend from people of Southeast Asia, the Chamorro make up this U.S. territory's largest ethnic group

107. Famous Names - For a special 1970s cookbook, he provided one simple recipe--a can of Campbell's tomato soup & 2 cans of milk

108. The Ancient World - The ancient writer Galen said books on ships arriving to this city's port were seized, originals kept & copies returned

I appreciate the questions being put up for each day but ny chance the answers could be put in a spoiler with them as I don't watch these with the same attention I do the normal version. And yes I know I could find them elsewhere but I just thought I would ask.

5/5 with a couple of wild guesses on my part but will take the win where I can find it after ice storm week. 

Not offering up any food this week since I don't want anyone else to have to play refrigerator/freezer roulette with me after a 3-day power outage.   

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Hugs 5
  • Love 2

It's an almost unprecedented 4/5 week for me!

I've been doing my 'I don't celebrate Easter, but, hey, candy's on sale!' shopping, so I'll offer up a selection of jellybeans that taste like other candies: nerds, sweet tarts, sour patch kids, and jolly ranchers.

Edited by dankesean
  • Like 4
  • Applause 3
On 2/26/2023 at 9:46 AM, Welshman in Ca said:

I appreciate the questions being put up for each day but ny chance the answers could be put in a spoiler with them as I don't watch these with the same attention I do the normal version. And yes I know I could find them elsewhere but I just thought I would ask.

I got a little confused by your question and thought maybe I'd posted the questions in the wrong forum. But I hadn't, thank goodness.

I checked with @saber5055, since she's advising me on all things contest related. This is what she said:

The contest posts clues only as a courtesy to remind people of that week's clues. Contest players should already have the correct (or not correct!) answers to each clue. Answers and clues can be discussed in the contest thread but no "official" answers will be posted, even in spoiler bars.

The basic thrust being that we will continue to post the questions as they've always been posted and will not be posting the questions in spoiler bars. (Though contest participants often discuss them in their posts, so keep that in mind when coming to the contest forum).

• Useful 2
12 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

I got a little confused by your question and thought maybe I'd posted the questions in the wrong forum. But I hadn't, thank goodness.

I checked with @saber5055, since she's advising me on all things contest related. This is what she said:

The basic thrust being that we will continue to post the questions as they've always been posted and will not be posting the questions in spoiler bars. (Though contest participants often discuss them in their posts, so keep that in mind when coming to the contest forum).

I realize that the whole concept of questions vs. answers gets a little confusing in a Jeopardy context, but I interpreted @Welshman in Ca's request a little differently.  What I thought the request meant is "Thank you for posting each day's FJ clues.  Would you consider also posting the correct response for each (but in spoiler bars, in case some readers are playing along using the info here.)"

If that's what he meant, I think that would be a great addition, but I realize this is all "volunteer labor" so I understand if you don't want to add to the great effort you're already making.  And I agree, we can always look up the correct responses on a variety of sites, but if you're already cutting & pasting the clues, maybe it wouldn't be that much  more work to go ahead and add the correct response?

• Like 2
  • Useful 2
1 hour ago, Clanstarling said:

will not be posting the questions in spoiler bars. (Though contest participants often discuss them in their posts, so keep that in mind when coming to the contest forum).

I just found this on page one of last season's contest thread:

On 9/5/2021 at 5:53 PM, saber5055 said:

Discussion of FJ clues and answers (and random other topics) is allowed though, and encouraged.

——which sets my mind at ease regarding all the answers (in the form of questions or not) I've posted here.
Whew!
(I've been known all my life to blurt out facts that I failed to realize were supposed to be secrets.)

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
1 hour ago, SoMuchTV said:

I realize that the whole concept of questions vs. answers gets a little confusing in a Jeopardy context, but I interpreted @Welshman in Ca's request a little differently.  What I thought the request meant is "Thank you for posting each day's FJ clues.  Would you consider also posting the correct response for each (but in spoiler bars, in case some readers are playing along using the info here.)"

If that's what he meant, I think that would be a great addition, but I realize this is all "volunteer labor" so I understand if you don't want to add to the great effort you're already making.  And I agree, we can always look up the correct responses on a variety of sites, but if you're already cutting & pasting the clues, maybe it wouldn't be that much  more work to go ahead and add the correct response?

@Welshman in Ca, if this is what you meant, please let me know. I didn't read it that way, but it does make sense. I'll consider whether I have sufficient time to do it.

@SoMuchTV, thanks for a fresh perspective.

PS - I just reread the post, and thanks to the new perspective, that's exactly what @Welshman in Ca is asking for. I don't know why I didn't parse it that way.

No need to reply, I will think about it. If I think I have the time, I will post the answers for this week's questions in a spoiler tag.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
(edited)

Pretty good week!

Week 25: 4/5 (everything but Helen of Troy)
YTD: 60/125 (48%) with 8*

I'm cold. I'll bring some cocoa.

Happy Merry Christmas GIF

(edit; I incorrectly marked an asterisk)

Edited by ams1001
  • Like 2
  • Applause 4
(edited)

Week 25: 1/5 Monday: Sudan

1 hour ago, Clanstarling said:

111. Laws in US History - A Radical Republican championed this 1875 act but the Supreme Court struck it down in 1883; a new version was passed 81 years later

Even without consciously doing math I thought "Civil Rights something or other" but then blurted out "Dred Scott" which was 1857.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 4

Week 25 – Feb. 27, 2023

109. African Countries - Once Africa's largest country in area, it dropped to third in 2011 when a portion of it declared independence.

110. Names of Myth - Her brothers, Castor & Pollux, saved her after Theseus stole her away as a kid; a larger force would seek her later in life

111. Laws in US History - A Radical Republican championed this 1875 act but the Supreme Court struck it down in 1883; a new version was passed 81 years later

112. Nonfiction - It has the line, "The discovery of America... opened up fresh ground for the rising bourgeoisie"

113. American Literature - Letters, pocket knives, C rations & steel helmets are among the tangible items referred to in the title of this modern war classic

• Thanks 3

4/5 M-Th I did the math to get the Civil Rights Act, but I have not heard of the book in Friday’s clue, but I figured it had to do with a foot locker or rucksack. 

2 hours ago, Driad said:

3/5.  Bringing clean snow, and hot maple syrup to pour over it.

I was in awe when I read about that in one of the Little House on the Prairie books, I think it was Little House in the Big Woods. Growing up in New Orleans snow was extremely rare, and I remember my dad chopping ice cubes & pouring pancake syrup over it. I was only about 6 but remember that it was gross 😂 About a decade later I tasted real maple syrup on a family trip to Quebec - no contest!! 

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, SoMuchTV said:

a semi-confident guess of "the things we carried...?"

Better than my mom who said "the things they brought with them"!

Week 25: 2/5   Overall:  61/125 (48.8%)  9*

• Like 6
  • Wink 1