Type keyword(s) to search

Season 39 Final Jeopardy! Contest

saber5055
  • Start Topic

Week 28 – March 20 – One Asterisk*

122.     Countries of Africa - At one time a province of the Roman Empire, this kingdom is known to Arabic scholars as Al-Maghrib Al-Aqsa, "the far west"

123*.   Medieval Places - One of the participants in an 1170 event at this place said, "Let us away, knights; he will rise no more"

124.     American Novelists - He served with an airman named Yohannan in World War II & despite what readers might think, he said he enjoyed his service

125.     Movie Theme Songs - Monty Norman, the composer of this character's theme, said the staccato riff conveyed sexiness, mystery & ruthlessness

126.     Symbols - In math, it's a rotated V; in society, it's a feeling of some marginalized or underrepresented people

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

3/5 0* 

I thought of Pink Panther and never moved on, even knowing full well that Henry Mancini wrote the Pink Panther theme and that he wasn't a character.  I haven't seen a James Bond movie in many years and wouldn't have recognized his theme if I heard it.

• Like 2
  • Applause 2

Week 28:  3/5     Overall:  68/140  11*

16 hours ago, Driad said:

If Ken could zap someone with lightning, I wonder whom he would choose.

I suspect the same person many of us would choose (with the initials MB).

• Applause 2
  • LOL 1

2/5 this week.

I guess I'm not the kind of person the contestant would like, I don't want to zap anyone (well...I might not have thought this through...my darker self did light on one person as I was writing this) At least not MB. She can be annoying, but for me not zapworthy.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Like 4
  • Applause 1
9 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

2/5 this week.

I guess I'm not the kind of person the contestant would like, I don't want to zap anyone (well...I might not have thought this through...my darker self did light on one person as I was writing this) At least not MB. She can be annoying, but for me not zapworthy.

People tend to think I’m kind and nice and sweet — all qualities that I try to cultivate. 
But. Wow. There are a lot of people I’d want to zap with lightning. 👺 ️ 

Edited by shapeshifter
  • LOL 6
14 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

3/5 (but no *).  Grading on my personal curve, I'd call that an A+.  Definitely > my usual score.

I see what you did there.

• Like 1
  • LOL 4
On 3/25/2023 at 3:35 PM, shapeshifter said:

People tend to think I’m kind and nice and sweet — all qualities that I try to cultivate. 
But. Wow. There are a lot of people I’d want to zap with lightning. 👺 ️ 

Me too (on all accounts). I have told people I'm not as nice as you think I am, I just keep the mean to myself. But for those I imagine getting retribution, lightning is just too easy. 🤣

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Like 4
  • Wink 1

2/5. Less than Heller.

And while I always try to be creative and work my correct answers into the theme of the dish, this week has me stumped. So I’m bringing pizza. Just because that’s what I want, dammit.

• Fire 1
  • LOL 5
  • Love 1

3/5 with one *.  Misread Monday's clue and couldn't recover in time.  For Wednesday, I kept repeating "you know, the Catch-22 author" but didn't make it to Heller in time. 

For James Bond, I mainly got it thanks to one of my favorite QI episodes which had the panel and audience singing the words to the original version of the music which had more of an Bollywood theme. 

• Applause 4
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

2/5. Less than Heller.

And while I always try to be creative and work my correct answers into the theme of the dish, this week has me stumped. So I’m bringing pizza. Just because that’s what I want, dammit.

High-5 all 2/5ers! 

Can we please have Chicago-style deep dish from Uno’s, Gino’s, or Ferentino's? 
I’m 600 miles away, so it will have to be virtual.

I’d be happy to give numbers of slices based on numbers of correct FJs, but if it’s more than 2 or 3 deep dish slices, you’ll probably want to share.😉

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 6
On 3/25/2023 at 10:39 AM, Trey said:

3/5 0* 

I thought of Pink Panther and never moved on, even knowing full well that Henry Mancini wrote the Pink Panther theme and that he wasn't a character.  I haven't seen a James Bond movie in many years and wouldn't have recognized his theme if I heard it.

Same. Once Pink Panther was in my head that was it. I would have never gotten James Bond, but hubby got it right away.

3/5 0 * M, W, F 

• Like 5

Week 29: 2/5 with one *
YTD: 71/145 (49%) with 10*

Did not start out well this week, but Thursday and Friday saved me.

How about some Swedish meatballs in honor of Friday's clue?

image.png.af9ff8e6bee0ae3ce06828c8747eb30a.png

• Like 4
  • Applause 4

Week 30 – March 27 – Two Asterisks **

127.     Chemical Names - The name of this pungent gaseous compound is ultimately derived from the top god of the ancient Egyptians

128.     Transportation USA - This public agency runs the USA's busiest bus terminal, opened in 1950 for commuters awed by its polished steel & stone

129*.   American Authors - In a periodical in 1807, he called New York City "Gotham, Gotham! most enlightened of cities"

130*.   Brand Names - The success of this brand has its roots with a hydrotherapy pump its cofounder created for his son, who had arthritis

131.     City History - Over 700 years after its traditional 1252 founding date, this port city became associated with a psychological response

• Thanks 4

Looking back at the clues, at least two of those should have been instagets. Instead, it was a week of nadagets for me. 0/5.

I’ll just slink off into the corner. I don’t deserve food.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 3
  • LOL 4
12 minutes ago, 30 Helens said:

Looking back at the clues, at least two of those should have been instagets. Instead, it was a week of nadagets for me. 0/5.

I'll sneak you a meatball...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

Same here, 0/5. But I definitely should have got at least 2, and probably 3, of them. Alas, here we are.

• Like 4
  • Hugs 2
  • Sad 1
On 3/24/2023 at 11:33 PM, Clanstarling said:

Week 28 – March 20 – One Asterisk*

122.     Countries of Africa - At one time a province of the Roman Empire, this kingdom is known to Arabic scholars as Al-Maghrib Al-Aqsa, "the far west"

123*.   Medieval Places - One of the participants in an 1170 event at this place said, "Let us away, knights; he will rise no more"

124.     American Novelists - He served with an airman named Yohannan in World War II & despite what readers might think, he said he enjoyed his service

125.     Movie Theme Songs - Monty Norman, the composer of this character's theme, said the staccato riff conveyed sexiness, mystery & ruthlessness

126.     Symbols - In math, it's a rotated V; in society, it's a feeling of some marginalized or underrepresented people

Wow, I am so far behind!!! Again! 4/5, no asterisk, for the clues I've quoted. 

I've just watched Monday's episode from last week so far. I'll report in when I get caught up 😁

• Like 3
(edited)
On 3/31/2023 at 5:34 PM, shapeshifter said:

I'm here to lower the curve:
Week 29: 0/5
I bring healthy donuts:
Donut_Day_-_Apple_Donut_1_en1b78a93695803573e755c6d80bdb6831.jpg?1527747813

They look yummy, and your table is not too small. It is the second largest table so far this week. No shame, you're not alone. 2's are ahead at this writing.

5 hours ago, Fex said:

Wow, I am so far behind!!! Again! 4/5, no asterisk, for the clues I've quoted. 

I've just watched Monday's episode from last week so far. I'll report in when I get caught up 😁

Thanks!

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

3/5 with 1*.  On Monday, I was too distracted to read the clue properly although neither chemistry nor Egyptian gods are strong suits of mine.  For Thursday, my brain stuck on Whirlpool (which I was sure was wrong) and resolutely refused to go anywhere else.  

I am pretty sure I owe the Gotham answer to a QI episode plus a lot of early American lit classes (go W&M) which made my author mental rolodex for that period pretty robust.  

• Like 1
  • Applause 5