Type keyword(s) to search

Season 39 Final Jeopardy! Contest

saber5055
  • Start Topic

Bad week for me. I have so much on my mind right now that I honestly think my brain's too overloaded to properly process all the hints in each clue. And next week, I'm having surgery. That doesn't bode well for a productive FJ week either. C'est la vie!

Week 34: 1/5.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 8

Week 34 – May 1, 2023 *

132.*   18th Century Literature - The first name of this title character is from Hebrew for "devoted to God"; his last name suggests he can be easily duped

133.     Medical History - A vaccine against this respiratory illness came out in the U.S. in 1914 & eventually combined with 2 other vaccines

134.     Business and Social Media - On Twitter in 2023, this food franchise followed an exact total of 11 accounts that included Victoria Beckham, Mel B & Herb Alpert

135.     Bodies of Water - Formed some 10,000-15,000 years ago & with an average depth of only about 150 feet, it's named for a man who sailed through it in 1728

136.     Team Names - An MLB team got this name in 1902 after some of its players defected to a new crosstown rival, leaving young replacements

• Thanks 3
(edited)

Week 34: 1/5 Tue: Pertussis

7 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Week 34 – May 1, 2023 *

132.*   18th Century Literature - The first name of this title character is from Hebrew for "devoted to God"; his last name suggests he can be easily duped

133.     Medical History - A vaccine against this respiratory illness came out in the U.S. in 1914 & eventually combined with 2 other vaccines

134.     Business and Social Media - On Twitter in 2023, this food franchise followed an exact total of 11 accounts that included Victoria Beckham, Mel B & Herb Alpert

135.     Bodies of Water - Formed some 10,000-15,000 years ago & with an average depth of only about 150 feet, it's named for a man who sailed through it in 1728

136.     Team Names - An MLB team got this name in 1902 after some of its players defected to a new crosstown rival, leaving young replacements

• No clue for Monday. 
  • Tuesday was totally within my realm of knowledge and experience.
  • For Wednesday's "On Twitter in 2023, this food franchise followed an exact total of 11 accounts...",
    "KFC" briefly flash before my eyes, but I went with Ben & Jerry's. I do look at Twitter most days, so perhaps I saw something peripherally? But I've only eaten from a bucket of chicken once, in the 1960s. 
  • For Thursday's "Bodies of Water - Formed some 10,000-15,000 years ago & with an average depth of only about 150 feet, it's named for a man who sailed through it in 1728" I went with Lake Erie, even though I know it's an NA name, but it is almost that shallow. Now I realize Berring Strait makes sense.
  • Friday: So close and yet so wrong, I said White Sox, even though I lived in Chicagoland most of my life, including when the Cubs won the World Series in 2016, the first time since 1908.

So, I bring my favorite Chicago-style, deep dish pizza from Ferentinos, in Lake Forest:

5d8afc_0479620d7e854eaea474dae41b26fe85~mv2.jpg 

I miss this👆 pizza for its sauce.
Go Cubs!
cubs_w_flag3.jpg
(Chicago Cubs "Win" flag)

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 3

2/5 no asterisk

I got Tuesday (Pertussis) and Friday (Chicago Cubs).

I will bring popsicles, the two together kind even though they're a pain to separate.

• Like 2
  • LOL 2

4/5 with an *

Just missed that body of water... it made sense once I heard the answer, but I don't think I would ever have come to it. 

• Applause 4

2/5 with no *. 

Got KFC (mainly by saying Spice Girls out loud) and the Cubs (mainly by thinking of early baseball cities with two teams and then focussing on the "young" part of the clue).  

All the others were ones that I knew were contained somewhere in my brain cells but no pneumatic tube system was available to deliver the information in time.  

• Like 4
  • Wink 1
  • Applause 1
7 hours ago, secnarf said:

Is there a subset of this contest for the Masters Tournament? Or will they be rolled into the regular contest? Excluded from the contest entirely?

Either folding the Masters Tournament into this thread or making it separate works for me. 
We probably don't need a poll, but how about a virtual show of hands via comments here in, say, the next day or so?

I can at least offer to start a new thread if we think it's warranted, but it probably isn't necessary at this point.

Here's the J! archive page for the tournament to capture the FJs and make notes of our wins and losses:
https://j-archive.com/showseason.php?season=jm

Does anyone know if the Masters questions are supposed to be any harder than regular Jeopardy!? They don't seem different to me.

2 hours ago, Trey said:

I vote we keep the contest limited to regular Jeopardy! games only.

Same, as I am now three days behind on the Masters tournament.  I hope to catch up this weekend.

• Like 3

Week 35 – May 8, 2023 - * One Asterisk

137.     Numerical Book Titles - This 2007 bestselling novel takes its title from a line in the poem "Kabul" by the 17th century Persian poet Saib

138.     Actresses & Their Roles - She made her big screen debut as a teen named Laurie in a 1978 film & in 2022 she played that role for the 7th & last time

139.*   International Geographic - In 1901 6 colonies joined together to form this nation, today the sixth largest in area

140.     History - His epitaph, in a church in England, reads, "Sometime general in the army of George Washington"

141.     New Words in the 18th Century - Describing these, Captain Cook wrote, "The manner in which" they're done "must certainly cause intollerable pain"

• Thanks 3

Week 35: 0/5

I did better with the Masters Tournament when I watched on Hulu the next day in the morning with 2/8 for  #1 Ozymandias and #4 Haiti.

Even thought YouTube is iffy, I probably should try doing Jeopardy! in the mornings, just to see how it goes. 

• Like 3

2/5* - I got A Thousand Splendid Suns easily, and Australia after a bit of thought. The tattoo clue's wording confused me too much for me to get anywhere with it.

• Like 4

Catching up from last week, sorry...

Week 34: 1/5, no *

YTD: 67/170, eleven *, two C *

And current week...

Week 35: 2/5, no *

YTD: 69/175, eleven *, two C *

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 2

2/5, no *.  I got Monday & Tuesday, but it was all downhill from there.  The rest of the week was - oh, yeah.  That makes sense.  Shoulda thought of that.

I had a little hope when I got both of Wednesday's Masters' FJs, but that trend didn't hold up either.

• Like 4