Type keyword(s) to search

Season 39 Final Jeopardy! Contest

saber5055
  • Start Topic

On 3/3/2023 at 5:18 PM, ams1001 said:

Pretty good week!

Week 25: 4/5* (everything but Helen of Troy)
YTD: 60/125 (48%) with 9*

I'm cold. I'll bring some cocoa.

Happy Merry Christmas GIF

Love cocoa, but sadly I don't qualify. 2/5 this week.

I checked J!Archive and didn't see an unanswered FJ. Did I miss something?

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
6 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

Love cocoa, but sadly I don't qualify. 2/5 this week.

You can have some, anyway.

6 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

I checked J!Archive and didn't see an unanswered FJ. Did I miss something?

No, I incorrectly marked Friday as an asterisk. Edited my original post. Thanks!

• Like 3
36 minutes ago, theartandsound said:

Week of 27 Feb: 4/5.

Not bad for my birthday week!!!!! (It was on 1 March. I'm 38 now. I feel old.)

My brother will be 50 on the 15th, if it makes you feel any better.

Adopt Happy Birthday GIF by Best Friends Animal Society

• Like 1
  • Love 1
(edited)

4/5

It was a good week. It was all lined up to be an amazing week and then I had to settle.

Monday through Thursday I got the questions, even when I was guessing and not certain. Friday comes along. I work in a bookstore, lit questions are my strong point. The answer came up. I immediately started flipping through war books in my head, discarded a few obvious wrong ones (Catch-22? No. Slaughterhouse-Five? No! Dispatches? No!!) and then it hit me and I shouted out loud, in my living room, so there were witnesses to my failure:

"The Things We Carried!"

One word. One word keeping me from my first ever 5/5 week.

I brought a flourless chocolate salted caramel cake. It's one of my specialties and absolutely delicious. I am not allowed to have any of it because I'm not worthy of it. Enjoy, all the rest of you people who don't fumble the ball at the 1-yard line.

thecakeIdontdeserve.jpg

Edited by dankesean
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
34 minutes ago, j5cochran said:

Week twenty-five: two of five, Sudan and the Civil Rights Act. Thursday, I sat there going "Karl Marx.... Karl Marx' book...." End of music. Argh!

Conversely, Wednesday I kept thinking “something with Civil Rights.”

• Like 2

4/5 with some very lucky guesses.  Only one I was 100% sure on was Helen of Troy and that is probably because I just got a book about here from my library - it is in my to be read pile. Had never heard of Friday's book but just put in a request for it at the library.  

• Like 1
  • Applause 2
2 hours ago, Grundoon59 said:

Had never heard of Friday's book but just put in a request for it at the library.  

Let us know what you think of it.  It's fairly expensive for Kindle so I'll wait to see if it's worth the cost - or will wait until it's cheaper.

• Like 1

@trey - will do.  I am very lucky to not only have a good local library but to have discovered there is a great system in Michigan (and maybe all other states/countries for all I know) that allows me to borrow from any other participating library in the state.  This has helped a lot with things like mystery series that you read book 6 or 7 and want to go back to the beginning plus of course, no one library can own everything.  

• Like 4
1 minute ago, Grundoon59 said:

@trey - will do.  I am very lucky to not only have a good local library but to have discovered there is a great system in Michigan (and maybe all other states/countries for all I know) that allows me to borrow from any other participating library in the state.  This has helped a lot with things like mystery series that you read book 6 or 7 and want to go back to the beginning plus of course, no one library can own everything.  

I have the same thing. I used to just use it to reserve popular books - but then I realized (took me awhile, sigh) that I could use the ebooks list just the way I did a physical library - just look at what's available. Save me a bunch of money - especially, as you say, for series books.

• Like 3

I borrow ebooks from the library when I can, because my vision is not great and I can adjust the font size of an ebook.  But my library system tends to get the paper book long before they get the ebook.

• Like 3

Week 26: 1/5: Thurs: Eiffel Tower

My 3rd week in a row of 1/5. 
Thank goodness for the easy FJ when it's all about the wagering.

For Friday's category of INVASIONS I wrongly pre-guessed The Crusades.
The others I either didn't read carefully or psyched myself out.

It's snowing.❄️
I actually have some real maple syrup if anyone wants to do the pouring-on-the-snow thing.

• Like 6

Week 26 – March 6 – Two Asterisks**

112.* U.S. History - An 1869 presidential pardon was granted to this man, due in part to a plea by the Medical Society of Harford County, Maryland

113. Names In The Bookstore - This man made lists, perhaps to cope with depression; a set of lists he published in 1852 made his name synonymous with a type of book

114. Geographic Name's The Same - The busiest passenger port in the U.K., it shares its name with a capital of one of the original 13 states

115. Landmarks - After its completion in the late 19th c., it was called a "truly tragic street lamp" & a "high & skinny pyramid of iron ladders"

116.* Invasions - Backed by 14,000 troops, he invaded England to restore, in his words, its "religion, laws, and liberties"

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Thanks 3

2/5 - Dover only came to me because there is a "Port Dover" not too far from where I live, thus I was already mentally primed to connect Dover to a port. I didn't think it would be correct!

• Like 2
  • Applause 2

2/5 (Mudd, Eiffel) with I believe my first * since playing the FJ contest! Woo hoo! 

Since nobody wants to eat my Mudd pies, I will bring a selection of French pastries.

(Curious: Is there an update on Saber and PBnJay? Last I heard, they were unable to sign on here. Wave 👋🏻 to both, if you are still reading! We miss you!)

• Like 4
  • Applause 5
2 minutes ago, 30 Helens said:

Since nobody wants to eat my Mudd pies, I will bring a selection of French pastries.

My parents lived their last 30 years together in Kona HI. When visiting we ate out once for lunch at Huggos, but if it was dinner, we always shared a Mud Pie for dessert. 
So I Googled Mud Pie, and, voilà, it was Huggos' mud pie!

1371584054199.jpeg

image.png.8fa03501809a387101cce663d6bdf69b.png

Note the 2 forks for sharing.
https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/mud-pie-recipe0-1941538

• Like 7
9 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

(Curious: Is there an update on Saber and PBnJay? Last I heard, they were unable to sign on here. Wave 👋🏻 to both, if you are still reading! We miss you!)

Saber is still unable to post, I believe the same is true of PBnJay. I communicate with Saber regularly, as she's the boss of the contest. 😊 I believe she is still able to read, but cannot "like" posts.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 4
  • Useful 1
5 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Saber is still unable to post, I believe the same is true of PBnJay. I communicate with Saber regularly, as she's the boss of the contest. 😊 I believe she is still able to read, but cannot "like" posts.

I'm sure they're both pursuing all the appropriate avenues for support, but I have to be a busybody and wonder out loud... have they tried setting up a new account to see if it has the same problem?  I did that when I was having problems a few years ago, to try to troubleshoot.  There's no rule against it, and it might help narrow down the problem.  I think possibly the admins can merge in the old history if the new account works, but don't quote me on that.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
26 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

I'm sure they're both pursuing all the appropriate avenues for support, but I have to be a busybody and wonder out loud... have they tried setting up a new account to see if it has the same problem?  I did that when I was having problems a few years ago, to try to troubleshoot.  There's no rule against it, and it might help narrow down the problem.  I think possibly the admins can merge in the old history if the new account works, but don't quote me on that.

I'll send your suggestion to @saber5055 and she can pass it on to @PBnJay. Thanks!

• Like 1

Week of February 27: 2/5

Week of March 6: 2/5

Well, I'm consistent!!!! The port/state capital clue was one of those that I felt I might have gotten of I was alone, lol 😆 But I think I'd rather have the company. Maybe.

In other news, I turned 41 yesterday, and I'm locking in my position of favourite aunt by getting gourmet donuts for my "birthday cake". So that's what I'm bringing here, too 😋 

• Like 3
  • Applause 6
  • Love 1
8 minutes ago, Fex said:

In other news, I turned 41 yesterday, and I'm locking in my position of favourite aunt by getting gourmet donuts for my "birthday cake". So that's what I'm bringing here, too 😋 

Happy birthday!! 🎈🎁🍩

• Like 4
  • Applause 2
  • Love 1

4/5 with 2* - with a history major's brain (ancient though it is) to the rescue plus a couple of cruise sailings/channel crossings out of Dover in my travel past.  Could not make my thought process work fast enough to get beyond "you know, the Thesaurus dude" but am happy with the week as is.  Always glad to have a William (and Mary) answer to cheer for!

• Like 2
  • Applause 6