Type keyword(s) to search

Season 39 Final Jeopardy! Contest

saber5055
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, Clanstarling said:

Those of us who did brilliantly on the boards but not as brilliantly on FJs, or who plugged along enjoying the game regardless and should be recognized as well, are:

@Good Queen Jane (99), @dankesean (98), @ProudMary (96),
@illdoc (94), @Clanstarling (91), @Trey (90), @DXD5

Thanks, but I got 108 FJ right this year (includes 8 from the second chance/ToC (wks 6-10) and 8 from the high school reunion (wks 24-26)) (Week 6: 3, W7: 1, W8: 2, W9: 1, W10: 1 W24: 4, W25: 2, W26: 2) Unless my math is wrong...?

16 minutes ago, illdoc said:

Thanks, but I got 108 FJ right this year (includes 8 from the second chance/ToC (wks 6-10) and 8 from the high school reunion (wks 24-26)) (Week 6: 3, W7: 1, W8: 2, W9: 1, W10: 1 W24: 4, W25: 2, W26: 2) Unless my math is wrong...?

I will check it out. It's entirely possible I'm wrong.

• Hugs 2
27 minutes ago, illdoc said:

2 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Those of us who did brilliantly on the boards but not as brilliantly on FJs, or who plugged along enjoying the game regardless and should be recognized as well, are:

@illdoc (94), @Clanstarling (91), @Trey (90), @DXD526 (86), @SoMuchTV (80), @zoey1996 (78), @labresq (73),
@Mindthinkr (72), @30 Helens (70), @opus (66), @secnarf (63), @shapeshifter (54)

Congratulations to all of you who stuck out the season and shared with us your triumphs, failures, and lots and lots of yummy foods!

It doesn't make a bit of difference to me (wouldn't even change my standings) but if it helps you troubleshoot @illdoc 's issue - my spreadsheet says I had 84 correct (vs. the 80 you posted).  Maybe there's a chunk of results you're missing...?

But more importantly thanks for all your work!

• Like 2

@illdoc and @SoMuchTV

I'm not sure what's going on.

I did have the weeks you entered, illdoc, and re-adding (by hand instead of using the spreadsheet tools) I do have a different number - but it's 96.

Haven't looked at your yet, somuchtv.

I will have to do further research to nail down what's going on. I'm combining both Saber's data and mine, so there may have been an error along the way. It's going to take me some time to wrap my head around it.

illdoc, if you kept your own spreadsheet, could you send it to me so I can compare?

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

@illdoc (94), @Clanstarling (91), @Trey (90), @DXD526 (86), @SoMuchTV (80), @zoey1996 (78), @labresq (73),
@Mindthinkr (72), @30 Helens (70), @opus (66), @secnarf (63), @shapeshifter (54)

Congratulations to all of you who stuck out the season and shared with us your triumphs, failures, and lots and lots of yummy foods!

Always happy to be in the “Oh well, at least he tried” category 

Edited by opus
  • Like 4
  • Wink 1
  • LOL 3
1 hour ago, illdoc said:

47 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

It doesn't make a bit of difference to me (wouldn't even change my standings) but if it helps you troubleshoot @illdoc 's issue - my spreadsheet says I had 84 correct (vs. the 80 you posted).  Maybe there's a chunk of results you're missing...?

But more importantly thanks for all your work!

It doesn't make any difference to me either as I'm middle of the pack anyway, but your figures show me at 96, when I actually had 104 correct. Unfortunately, I don't have a spreadsheet to send. My records are all handwritten on one of those 5" × 7" mini legal pads and each season eats up 18 pages. 😄

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Clanstarling said:

So my fellow Jeopardy fans, it's getting close to time to set up Season 40...given everything it feels like a dicey proposition this year, at least the first few months.

I thought that perhaps those of us who don't want to watch until the strike's over (I haven't made my mind up yet), could still participate in the FJ Contest using J!Archive, which is where I get my data anyway. (There is no statement yet on that site about the situation.)

Chime in on what you think and whether you plan to participate. You don't need to say whether or not you'll be watching or just using J!Archive unless you want to.

Argh. Strikes are not supposed to be pleasant, are they? 🙃
I'm fine with whatever is collectively decided. 

• Like 3

Woohoo! Congrats to the winners! I had this thread open (among my 3612 open tabs) and checked every so often and then suddenly, 18 new comments! I also have a different number on my spreadsheet but it's only off by 6 (114), so it doesn't change my place in the standings. 

I plan to participate next season. I will most likely watch either way, partly to see what they actually do and partly because Jeopardy! is a habit. Recycled clues won't make a difference to my scores, since watching the last few weeks when I know for certain I just saw these clues in the past several months didn't seem to make me do any better (not that I was keeping score, but you'd think I'd at least remember the FJ responses, but in many cases, no...I got the ones I knew in the first place, but several I did not, and in one case I actually am pretty sure I got it the first time but this week I couldn't come up with it).

• Like 1
  • Wink 1

I thought that perhaps those of us who don't want to watch until the strike's over (I haven't made my mind up yet), could still participate in the FJ Contest using J!Archive, which is where I get my data anyway. (There is no statement yet on that site about the situation.)

I'm sure that 99% of players in this thread are already aware of this but The Jeopardy Fan makes it even easier than J!Archive as they post only the FJ clue and response daily. Another big plus is that they have the day's clue and correct response posted by lunchtime. You have to wait on J!Archive. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 2

Okay, I reworked the numbers, and though I couldn't figure out what exactly went wrong, the adjusted numbers are:

@illdoc - 106, just as you said.

@SoMuchTV - 85 (one more than you said)

@ams1001 - 115 (one more than you said)

@ProudMary - I came up with 103 - less than you said, but more than I recorded you as.

So illdoc, ams1002 and ProudMary are now in the list of those who scored more than 100!

Near as I can figure it, I must have made recording errors. But I'll be setting up my spreadsheet for my needs for season 40, and should be able to do this better next time!

I'm giving myself a C- for this time around. Hoping to go up a grade or two next time. 🤪

• Like 4
  • Hugs 1

illdoc, if you kept your own spreadsheet, could you send it to me so I can compare?

No spreadsheet. Just a sheet of notebook paper with a | if I got it right and a X if I got that day's wrong (i.e. one week/line on the paper might look like: ||X|X). Doesn't matter in the big scheme of things. Don't fret it!

• Like 2
Just now, illdoc said:

No spreadsheet. Just a sheet of notebook paper with a | if I got it right and a X if I got that day's wrong (i.e. one week/line on the paper might look like: ||X|X). Doesn't matter in the big scheme of things. Don't fret it!

Yeah, I can hardly make out my own stuff - that would make no sense to me! LOL.

Just now, Clanstarling said:

@ams1001 - 115 (one more than you said)

Huh. Guess I messed up somewhere (not surprising) but I'll take it! Still keeps me in the same place in the standings...the next person above me in the original list had 120 and below me had 107.

• Like 1

Okay all, the Season 40 Final Jeopardy Contest topic is now posted. Comments/questions about season 40 should go there.  I'll fix up a spreadsheet with everyone (even a few who didn't quite make it to the end in 39), and see who comes - old or new. 😀

• Like 3
36 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

@SoMuchTV - 85 (one more than you said)

I'm giving myself a C- for this time around. Hoping to go up a grade or two next time. 🤪

That makes sense. There was one where I wasn’t sure if I should get credit ( maybe added an s?) so I probably reported it one way and recorded it another. 

And no way it’s a C-.  Definitely a P on a P/F scale! Plus bonus points for volunteering to begin with!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 4

Thanks, @Clanstarling, for all the work you did on this! 

I'll participate. Until DirecTV settles the contract with Nexstar, I'll be going to J!Archive. Not sure if I'll watch when the DirecTV/Nexstar contract is settled if the strike is still ongoing or not. It's a dilemma I haven't thought about yet.

• Like 2
8 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I have myself down as 69. Not that it matters in the end :P I am in awe of how well so many of you all did!! Even getting more than 50% of the FJs is a big accomplishment.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

In keeping with our zero calorie goodies here,
I hereby award @Clanstarling
starling.png.c304c35b4f465db88743f1fa9481c550.png
The Final Jeopardy Contest Score Compiler Virtual Award of Excellence:
 🏆
— which represents a lot of very real effort!

And, being a virtual award, you don't have to get it out of the cupboard and put it on the mantle when we show up at the door.😁

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 3

Since the results questioned earlier have all been recalculated in favor of the participant (that is, they were right), those of you can consider yourselves in the positions you would have been in.

I am not going to redo graphics or posts, so pat yourselves on the back for your final positions, and next season I'll have all the kinks worked out!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

According to my records, I got 92 FJs this season. Even with all those 2/5 weeks! And only eight *'s (I thought it was more than that 😐)

So you missed a few, but it's ok, Clanstarling, because, you're good enough, you're smart enough, and doggone it, people like you!!

• Wink 1
  • Fire 1
  • LOL 10
16 hours ago, DXD526 said:

So you missed a few, but it's ok, Clanstarling, because, you're good enough, you're smart enough, and doggone it, people like you!!

You made my day! I laughed hard, and appreciate the sentiment. Ya'll are a good and patient bunch of people. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

Color me amazed at and appreciative of the honor!  Looking forward to participating next season (may be using the checking online method until the strike is resolved).  Hope everyone stays happy and healthy in the meantime!

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1