Type keyword(s) to search

Season 39 Final Jeopardy! Contest

saber5055
  • Start Topic

(edited)
10 hours ago, zoey1996 said:

I just now noticed, the question count total is 196 here, but shouldn't it be 230, for 46 weeks?

14 2023 High School Reunion Tournament games
   16 2022 Tournament of Champions games
+ 10 2022 Second Chance competition games
——————————————————————————
= 40 games to subtract from the 230 total

Which would be 190, not 196?
But I'm not following what this refers to:

10 hours ago, zoey1996 said:

It was different beginning back with week 19, when the list showed 84 - 88, but the week total was 95. Am I missing something?

although I do see "Week 19" was discussed by us here: https://forums.primetimer.com/topic/133567-season-39-final-jeopardy-contest/page/16/#:~:text=January 20-,Week 19%3A,-4/5 with

But I'm mostly looking at: j-archive.com/showseason.php?season=39

Hope this helps, even if my brain doesn't compute.🙃

Edited by shapeshifter

3/5 in what I will call an OhiO week (round on the ends = 0 and Hi in the middle for La Boheme, French Foreign Legion and Superstar. 

Since my farmer's market purchase this week included some absolutely wonderful pesto & brie mini quiches, I will share them as my contribution to the meal finale.

Thanks for all the camaraderie this season (and all past).  I think I have said before that this forum got me through some dark times and made me laugh in happier ones.  Looking forward to the new season (but not ready for summer to be over quite yet) - everyone please be safe, healthy and happy until we meet again!

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 3
On 7/30/2023 at 4:36 PM, Clanstarling said:

I'll bring various flavors of Ben and Jerry's - name your favorites!

I'm on a Häagen-Dazs vanilla chocolate chip kick lately (I'm a pretty simple girl when it comes to ice cream...most B&J's flavors never really appealed to me, though I did like Phish Food when I was younger).

I have a pint of H-D chocolate ice cream that I got to make root beer floats with (a conversation elsewhere had me craving one, and I like them better with chocolate ice cream). But I didn't want a whole pack of soda and hadn't found single bottles of root beer, so I haven't made it yet. Yesterday at the grocery store I found a vanilla cream soda (of a brand I've never heard of before; they didn't have root beer but they had a coffee flavor; I'm not sure if I'd like that...maybe with enough chocolate ice cream mixed in...) sold in individual bottles so I decided to try that. Maybe I'll test it out tonight.

• Like 3
4 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

5 hours ago, zoey1996 said:

I just now noticed, the question count total is 196 here, but shouldn't it be 230, for 46 weeks?

14 2023 High School Reunion Tournament episodes/games
   16 2022 Tournament of Champions episodes/games
+ 10 2022 Second Chance competition episodes/games
——————————————————————————————
= 40 games to subtract from the 230 total

Which would be 190, not 196?
But I'm not following what this refers to:

5 hours ago, zoey1996 said:

It was different beginning back with week 19, when the list showed 84 - 88, but the week total was 95. Am I missing something?

Clan Starling listed:

Week 19 • Jan. 16, 2023 - two asterisks

*84. Business Milestones.” These were first sold in 1908, at a price equivalent to about $27,000 today.*

*85. Geography Mnemonics MIMAL, sometimes said to be the silhouette of a chef or elf, stands for Minnesota, Iowa, Missouri, these 2 states.*

86. Early American History. In 1692 Increase Mather wrote, "It were better that ten suspected" these "escape, than that one innocent person... be condemned"

87. British Landmarks. Like Sir Thomas More, 3 16th century English queens are buried at this location

88. Television. Mike Post combined the sound of a slamming jail door, an anvil & 100 men stomping on a floor for this series that debuted in 1990

So #84-88.

Separately, I thought we tracked all of the FJ’s that were part of the “regular” (non-prime-time) shows, even if they were tournament shows. That’s what I did.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
9 hours ago, zoey1996 said:

Separately, I thought we tracked all of the FJ’s that were part of the “regular” (non-prime-time) shows, even if they were tournament shows. That’s what I did.

Me, too.

• Like 2

4/5 I couldn’t get beyond, “the Rent opera! What’s its name, dammit”, so no perfect score to end season 39. Also my age 12 years ago 🤫

@Clanstarling thank you for keeping this all on track!

Hope everyone has a wonderful rest of summer! 

Edited by Toothbrush
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

Having looked it over some more, and given it some thought, the listing of the numbers in the clue/answers listing doesn't really matter. We all know the total number of FJs should be 230. So, never mind, all is well.

And yes, huge thanks to @Clanstarling for handling all that!

Edited by zoey1996
  • Like 6
On 7/31/2023 at 2:46 PM, zoey1996 said:

I just now noticed, the question count total is 196 here, but shouldn't it be 230, for 46 weeks? It was different beginning back with week 19, when the list showed 84 - 88, but the week total was 95. Am I missing something?

Sorry I haven't been here to answer earlier. The answer is, I screwed up and forgot to advance the numbering on my list of questions.

And for some reason, I'm having trouble reacting to your posts. Ugh. But it seems like I can quote and post, so that's good.

Anyway, I'm getting started on the data. Soon I will post what data I'm missing which you can hopefully provide. I will use the @ names just in case you aren't checking out the forum, but will notice you've been mentioned. 

As for B&J, I love the vanilla, but you can't get that where we are. Pretty much any flavor is okay by me. I don't care for the core flavors not because they don't taste good, but because there's too much core. We keep to cookie dough in the house because we can all agree on it (plus we can get the single serving containers at our grocery store and be "good")

I'll bring an assortment.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4
31 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

After a preliminary review, I'm happy to announce the perfect attendance records. There may be additions once I check the "missing" entries to make sure I wasn't the one who missed them. But for now, the undeniably perfect records go to:

@ams1001

@Driad

@DXD526

@illdoc

@theartandsound

and...

@Trey

Congratulations!

ImageCompositionServlet.jpg.443b5356ddce81593ce518365782f55e.jpg

Hmmm... You'll eventually come back and tell us who/what you're missing, right?  Because I was pretty sure I'd submitted every week.

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

Hmmm... You'll eventually come back and tell us who/what you're missing, right?  Because I was pretty sure I'd submitted every week.

Same here! I need my attendance prize, because no way am I winning anything else. 🙃

• Like 2
  • Wink 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 3
2 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Hmmm... You'll eventually come back and tell us who/what you're missing, right?  Because I was pretty sure I'd submitted every week

1 hour ago, 30 Helens said:

Same here! I need my attendance prize, because no way am I winning anything else. 🙃

1 hour ago, Toothbrush said:

I thought I submitted each week too. Any missing weeks were 5/5 with all applicable ** 🤣🤣🤣🤣

46 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I'm pretty sure I submitted every week, too, though I might have been late a couple of weeks.

You bet. As I said (inferred?) First I'm checking to see what I missed, and I will be going over the forum pages to find what I likely missed.

I already have all the "missed" dates for you all. Going through the pages will take longer.

I thought I would celebrate the ones I was sure of since this won't be quick. I'm sorry I wasn't clearer. 

• Thanks 6
  • Useful 1

I know which weeks are missing for each of you. I will be checking the forum for those weeks. It will take me a little time. Those I do find will recieve their awards as soon as I check you guys out.

If I can't find some, I'll be sure to let you know. You guys are probably only missing one or two (and I could definitely missed a combined one).

That'll teach me to post a preliminary list of anything next season. 🤣

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Like 1
  • LOL 1
1 minute ago, Prevailing Wind said:

You could spread the chore out by telling us what's missing and let us look up our own stats.  DELEGATE!!

Sure. But delegation is work too. 😉
Ever managed "volunteers" as part of your day job?

Anyhoo:
   Have time.
   Will work for virtual food.
(message me or someone)

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1
  • Love 1
33 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

You could spread the chore out by telling us what's missing and let us look up our own stats.  DELEGATE!!

I appreciate the offer. I will be contacting everyone on the forum whose data I’m missing. However, first I am double checking my own work. Since I came into this not really knowing anything other than from a participant’s standpoint, I know I made mistakes. This is my process, and I tossed out an initial preliminary award because I knew it would take some time to complete.

Once I’m sure that I’ve collected the data accurately, then I will contact the people whose data I’m missing.

I will, of course, first check data of those of you who responded to the award and ask those whose data I am still missing to check their own records.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Love 1

Okay folks, here are the updates to the perfect attendance awards. As I expected, my preliminary run was short because of my own data collection errors.

"New" Perfect Attendance Winners are:

@SoMuchTV

@30 Helens

@Toothbrush

@ProudMary

@Browncoat

images.jpg.b1f27f8aeed9127404af5c0bffd27495.jpg

Probably joining the list are:

@zoey1996 - I'm still missing week 46 (the last week)

@Mindthinkr - I have a post for you in week 15 (12/17), but it was a comment only. I'm missing weeks 31-33 (4/10 - 4/27). Did you go on vacation? I seem to remember someone did.

Since there are others who missed more than a couple of weeks, this award may once again be revised and a full list and award will be posted. Next year, I'll post only when I have all the data (and I'm sure to do a better job collecting it...hopefully)

So, I'm learning as I'm going. Thank you for your patience.

• Hugs 1
  • Thanks 4
  • Applause 1
11 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

Probably joining the list are:

@zoey1996 - I'm still missing week 46 (the last week)

Sorry, I got distracted!

Week 46: 0/5, no *

YTD: 82/230, eleven *, two C *

35.6% 

Edited by zoey1996
  • Thanks 1

Congrats to all with perfect attendance - I thought I was not possibly among the group thanks to my lovely cruise in October (just before Halloween) but I just checked and I did post for that week. 

Appreciate all the work you are putting in @Clanstarlingbut when you get a chance, could you check?  I might very well have missed a week but I don't think I did. 

• Like 2
17 hours ago, Grundoon59 said:

Congrats to all with perfect attendance - I thought I was not possibly among the group thanks to my lovely cruise in October (just before Halloween) but I just checked and I did post for that week. 

Appreciate all the work you are putting in @Clanstarlingbut when you get a chance, could you check?  I might very well have missed a week but I don't think I did. 

Just checked. The weeks I had you missing were in July - BUT, that was my mistake, and yes, you do have perfect attendance!

So I have learned my lesson - be sure to check to see if I've made mistakes before announcing ANYTHING, because it dilutes the award, and the pleasure of the recievers. I am sorry. I'll be better next season (if we have a contest next season...given everything)

So here you are, your very own award:

images.jpg.15f5bde8efd4d6309c529fb3b40f83e2.jpg

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Hugs 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Applause 2

Okay folks, I finally checked everyone though every week in the Contest Forum (well, those I had missing entries for, anyway). I'm happy to say that many missing entries were due to my eyes missing the posts.

These are the members for whom I am still missing some entries.

@j5cochran - Week 11 (11/21/22)

@labresq - Week 17 (1/2/23) and Week 18 (1/9/23)

@Mindthinkr - Week 15 (12/19/22), Week 32 (4/17/23), Week 33 (4/24/23), and Week 35 (5/8/23) - these were previously noted, but included here so you can all respond to the same post.

If you don't remember, check J! Archive Season 39 to see if you can get them.

Once I have all the data, I will start working on the statistics. Thanks!

One more thing. Four of our contestants dropped out during the season. They are:

@Ailianna, @Fex (late in the season), @GrannySmith, and @Welshman in Ca.

Hope to see you in the next contest!

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 5
3 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Okay folks, I finally checked everyone though every week in the Contest Forum (well, those I had missing entries for, anyway). I'm happy to say that many missing entries were due to my eyes missing the posts.

Week eleven: three of five, no asterisks. (I keep a file of my own!)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
17 hours ago, j5cochran said:

Week eleven: three of five, no asterisks. (I keep a file of my own!)

Thanks! It's now in the spreadsheet. I'm glad you kept your own file. I don't keep one for me (well, didn't, but mine is the score I always have to remember to record).

Edited by Clanstarling

Well, I thought I had reported on week 18 because I knew Jack Daniels, but I guess I didn't.  At any rate, it was 0 for me week 17 and 1 for me week 18.  Sorry  you had to track me down!  Thanks for doing all this work.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 8/9/2023 at 4:09 PM, Clanstarling said:

@labresq - Week 17 (1/2/23) and Week 18 (1/9/23)

@Mindthinkr - Week 15 (12/19/22), Week 32 (4/17/23), Week 33 (4/24/23), and Week 35 (5/8/23) - these were previously noted, but included here so you can all respond to the same post.

If you don't remember, check J! Archive Season 39 to see if you can get them.

Once I have all the data, I will start working on the statistics. Thanks!

One more thing. Four of our contestants dropped out during the season. They are:

I was away for two weeks in May and couldn’t catch up. Next season!

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
On 8/9/2023 at 5:09 PM, Clanstarling said:

Okay folks, I finally checked everyone though every week in the Contest Forum (well, those I had missing entries for, anyway). I'm happy to say that many missing entries were due to my eyes 

@j5cochran 

@labresq 

@Mindthinkr 

Like @GrannySmith, I got behind and just couldn't catch up. And so close to the end 😭🤣 Oh well. I had a lot of fun up until then! Thanks everyone ☺️ 

Edited by Fex
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

How about for next season a separate thread for “Season 40 FJ Scores” or…?  
Maybe a shared Google Doc…?  
Anyone know of an easy way to keep track that would be editable throughout the season?

I know I get distracted frequently (squirrel? 🐿) and make mistakes that would need to be fixed.

• Like 1
  • LOL 3

@Clanstarling Just saw this yesterday, but didn’t have the time to go back. I’ll get to this today and give you those tallys later this afternoon. Thanks. 

The totals for those weeks were 1/5, 2/5, 1/5, and 1/5 (I really need to up my Jeopardy game!) 

Yes, I was on vacation first to visit kids and then to Europe and had forgotten to go back and add my scores. My apologies. 
Thank you for your time and effort to keep all of our scores 🥰

Edited by Mindthinkr
To add scores.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Wouldn't that be the "Season 40 Final Jeopardy! Contest" thread??????

• Like 5
  • Love 1
On 8/14/2023 at 5:29 AM, shapeshifter said:

Maybe a shared Google Doc…?  
Anyone know of an easy way to keep track that would be editable throughout the season?

I know I get distracted frequently (squirrel? 🐿) and make mistakes that would need to be fixed.

Most of the mistakes were mine, and that was because I came on in the middle and was confused at first. I think if I start from the beginning I'll be able to keep up. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 8

Taking a few days off to recover from a procedure, and absorb the horrible fact that the house next to us burned down yesterday.  Fortunately we were spared (but not the house on the other side) and no one was injured. So it's been an hectic couple of days.

I hope to get all the stats worked out and awards gifted by the end of the month.

• Hugs 16

Those of us who did brilliantly on the boards but not as brilliantly on FJs, or who plugged along enjoying the game regardless and should be recognized as well, are:

@Good Queen Jane (99), @dankesean (98), @ProudMary (96),
@illdoc (94), @Clanstarling (91), @Trey (90), @DXD526 (86), @SoMuchTV (80), @zoey1996 (78), @labresq (73),
@Mindthinkr (72), @30 Helens (70), @opus (66), @secnarf (63), @shapeshifter (54)

Congratulations to all of you who stuck out the season and shared with us your triumphs, failures, and lots and lots of yummy foods!

• Like 4
  • Fire 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Applause 6

So my fellow Jeopardy fans, it's getting close to time to set up Season 40...given everything it feels like a dicey proposition this year, at least the first few months.

I thought that perhaps those of us who don't want to watch until the strike's over (I haven't made my mind up yet), could still participate in the FJ Contest using J!Archive, which is where I get my data anyway. (There is no statement yet on that site about the situation.)

Chime in on what you think and whether you plan to participate. You don't need to say whether or not you'll be watching or just using J!Archive unless you want to.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2