Type keyword(s) to search

Season 39 Final Jeopardy! Contest

saber5055
  • Start Topic

(edited)
On 6/3/2023 at 1:24 PM, shapeshifter said:

My apologies! 
Do I get a pardon? 🙃

By the power invested in me as the designated contest helper by  @saber5055 , I grant you a pardon. 😉

An unusually good week for me 4/5** (missed Nixon...I was on another continent in my brain)

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Applause 4
  • LOL 2

5/5 **!

Like @Grundoon59I have Britbox to thank for getting Lake Poets. 

My mom always jokes that when I was a toddler all I wanted to eat were carrots, and as a pediatrician she was giving parents advice on picky eaters when she had a one-food two-year-old at home. Anyway, in honor of Friday’s clue, which happened during my carrot phase, I will bring carrot sticks cake

F9F01580-88F6-491E-B475-C4CF3C0F741D.jpeg.8bf6aa231588fc229b16bc28e6e53ebd.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1

Week 39: 3/5 (POTUS, NATO, Amsterdam)
YTD: 93/195 (48%) with 15*

Went out for dinner and have leftover lasagna if anyone wants..

(Was gonna post a picture but frankly the only one I found of their dish doesn't look that appetizing. Tastes good, though.)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Week 39 – June 5, 2023

157.     Acronyms - It was originally a code word used by telegraph operators; Barack Obama used it in his Twitter handle

158.     Historic Organizations - A senator called the 1949 pact that formed this a "fraternity of peace" that "makes the obligation plain... for us & others"

159.     European Countries - Of all the nations that border Italy, the one that didn't exist in 1990

160      Business History - What is dubbed "the world's first initial public offering" took place in 1602 in this current European capital

161.     British Novels - Midway through this 1928 novel, the title character briefly takes "their" instead of his or her

• Thanks 4

Week thirty-nine: three of five. I got Amsterdam on Wednesday, for all the wrong reasons. I assumed the first IPO had something to do with tulips!

For my contribution to the Table for Three this week, I'll try a recipe I've my eye on for some time, a Dutch Baby Pancake.

image.png.ae0c9e917075986f31523d20fb1cb420.png

• Like 4
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Love 1

2/5 - Initially said "bo" (which is how he used to sign his tweets?) but then changed to POTUS after rereading the clue for Monday's, and then had said UN but switched to NATO last minute for Tuesday.

• Like 5
  • Applause 1

1/5 this week - head's still above water!  POTUS I got, but I got sucked in by UN instead of NATO.  I feel like I should have known (or guessed) Amsterdam, but I was watching whatever I could find after indictment preemptions, and I think I just blanked out at some point.

• Like 6

5/5 for 2nd week in a row. That’s a first (and probably last) 

Got Slovenia only because when my sister, cousin, & I were in Italy in 2018 we decided to take a bus across the border for a day trip to get another stamp on our passports. A Slovenian chocolatier had just won an international chocolate competition so we sampled their wares and brought a ton back home. We also bought sausages from a food stand, and had the most delicious strawberries. So chocolates, sausages, and strawberries for all! 

• Like 2
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 6
(edited)

replying on time this week for once because I'm traveling next: 4/5, would have been 5 except I confused Croatia for Slovenia. Accordingly, it's only fitting that my snacky contribution is that Balkan treat, the burek.

burek-sa-nutelom.jpg

Edited by dankesean
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Applause 1

Week 39:  3/5

I got the right answer on Thursday but for the wrong reasons. My mind went to "Tulip Mania" which I knew occurred in the 1600s and brought me to The Netherlands and ultimately to  Amsterdam for my answer. Of course, there was no public offering involved for tulips, and a search indicates that while I did have the correct century, I was off by a few decades for the event. (Public offering: 1602. Tulip Mania: 1636.) 

My FJ scorecard says, "What is Amsterdam?" though, so I'm claiming it!

• Like 3
  • Applause 2

2/5 this week. Tuesday and Thursday. 

12 hours ago, dankesean said:

replying on time this week for once because I'm traveling next: 4/5, would have been 5 except I confused Croatia for Slovenia. Accordingly, it's only fitting that my snacky contribution is that Balkan treat, the burek.

burek-sa-nutelom.jpg

The Burek looks good. I should have gotten that answer as I was in both of those countries last month! 
I’ll bring some Jota (a hearty soup) from Pula, Croatia for those adventurous enough to try it. The warning is that it contains sauerkraut!  

• Like 4
7 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

My Oregonian daughter brought me these last week. 
Will it help if I put them on and pull them up while watching? 🤣

socks.thumb.jpg.95ea77fb6bc7fa3fcbd7b808283d93c6.jpg

I have a fantasy that my husband will clue in to my strong suggestion that I get a Master's Tournament throw, so I can take a picture of it over me with my feet up and Jeopardy in the background. Just for the forum.

4 hours ago, zoey1996 said:

Week 39: 0/5, no *

YTD: 74/195, eleven *, two C *

Doughnuts anyone?

image.png.7b1d1be8dceea83fd95fcc39535690fb.png

Always.

3 hours ago, illdoc said:

Week 39: 0/5 (I don't even deserve the T40 doughnuts).  Overall:  89/195  16*

Of course you deserve the doughnuts!

• Like 2
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, illdoc said:

Week 39: 0/5 (I don't even deserve the T40 doughnuts).  Overall:  89/195  16*

6 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

Of course you deserve the doughnuts!

Everyone deserves doughnuts! Have we learned nothing here, people?!?!

• Like 1
  • Fire 2
  • Applause 4
  • LOL 5

4/5 due mainly to lucky guesses (the luck deserted me for Slovenia - was picturing too many countries with not enough names). 

Like others, I got to Amsterdam for the wrong reasons and only had a vague memory of the date for Tuesday being incorrect for the UN so went with NATO. 

Never read Orlando but did see the Tilda Swinton movie and it stuck with me.  POTUS was a Hail Mary of a guess for which I will give thanks to repeated viewing of West Wing.  

All the food sounds yummy - my food imagination banks are dry but I will try to do better for this week.   

• Like 4
  • Applause 4

Woohoo!  0/5!  At least, I hope, I can sit at the Illya Kuryakin table.  I had a few "getting theres" - "Anti... Anti... Antigen?", "that guy from Saturday Night Fever, you know, of course I know his name..." and the McCarthy Commission.  Maybe Friday will be my salvation?  Body of water?  French name?  Lafayette River?   Is there even a Lafayette River? Aha, there is:

The Lafayette River, earlier known as Tanner's Creek,[1] is a 6.2-mile-long (10.0 km)[2] tidal estuary which empties into the Elizabeth River just south of Sewell's Point near its mouth at Hampton Roads, which in turn empties into the southern end of Chesapeake Bay in southeast Virginia in the United States. It is entirely located in the city of Norfolk, Virginia.[3]

Doesn't fit the clue on a number of levels, but...

• Like 2
  • Wink 1
  • LOL 2
(edited)

Week 40 – June 12, 2023 - ** Two Asterisks

162.     Women in Mythology - The name of this woman, the product of an incestuous union, means "against birth"

163.     Actors - He starred in the 2 films whose soundtracks were the top 2 bestselling albums of 1978

164.*   TV and Film Characters - He debuted on TV in 1967; the show's creator wanted someone from behind the Iron Curtain to be on "our side"

165.     The US Government - Established in 1938, this congressional group was still issuing subpoenas in 1969 & finally ceased to exist 6 years later

166.*   American Geography - Native Americans called it Okwa-ta, or "wide water"; Pierre Le Moyne d'Iberville would rename it for a countryman

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Thanks 5

2/5: Antigone and John Travolta. 

Since I’m sure I will be banished from most tables due to my total ignorance of Illiya Kuryakin, I will sit in a corner and enjoy this delicious Ambrosia Salad. There may be a little disco dancing afterwards, I can’t lie.

IMG_0373.jpeg.8a254091122d5635851752302ab58626.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Wink 1
  • LOL 4

Honestly, I don't think I ever watched a "Man from U.N.C.L.E." all the way through. I knew of Kuryakin because McCallum was in all the teen magazines. The only thing I remember from UNCLE is talking into a pen, saying, "Open Channel D."

• Like 2
  • Applause 1