Type keyword(s) to search

Season 39 Final Jeopardy! Contest

saber5055
  • Start Topic

2/5 with one *.  I think the only reason I got Monday is because I had been listening to Seriously Sinatra on Sirius radio on my drive home and it suddenly flashed in my brain that his fans were called Bobby Soxers.  So, I went with that wild guess without even relating it to the clue about cutting things short.  

My other success was for Watership Down which I have never read but was extremely popular with lots of people I knew at the time.  

The rest of the week fell into the "makes sense when you read the answer" group.

My dish to pass comes thanks to my amazing neighbors who introduced me to  Mansaf, which is considered the national dish of Jordan - a delicious combination of lamb, rice, almonds, spices and a yogurt sauce.  I am a very lucky girl since they were willing to share with me.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1

Week 44: 1/5
YTD: 108/220 (49%) with 19*

Last week was a perfect 5...this week Steinbeck saved me from a perfect 0.

How about an apple strudel in honor of the Edible Etymology category from Tuesday, and because it sounds yummy...

image.png.cbc80f8beed5d232060b360959dac34b.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Applause 1

Week 44 – July 10 - 2023

182.     Art History - At the 1865 Paris Art Salon, the elder of these 2 men said if the younger were successful, it would be "because his name sounds like mine" (Manet & Monet)

183.     Olympic Teams - A city of about 2.5 million people, since 1984 for political reasons it has been in the name of an Olympic team (Taipei)

184.     Name’s The Same - A 1931 Charlie Chaplin film & a West Coast bookstore open since 1953 both bear this name (City Lights)

185.     Famous Ships - This first U.S. battleship ever built was launched in 1889 but lasted less than 9 years (Maine)

186.     Books and Authors – In 1930 this author wrote "Murder at Full Moon", a horror-mystery novel set in a fictional town in Central California (Steinbeck)

• Thanks 3
On 7/9/2023 at 11:25 PM, opus said:

Nothing this week. 0/5

My turn to lower the curve this week.

Week 44: 0/5

I would've guessed Steinbeck for today if I'd had another few seconds. The Grapes of Wrath had almost percolated to the top of my mind; then I would've just had to mentally reverse engineer the author.

Surprisingly, Houston Texas seems to have gay bagels:

bagel-shops-in-houston-bagel-shop-bakery-bellaire-696x407.jpg

• Like 1
  • LOL 5
  • Love 1

2/5.  I don’t know what to do with Monet/Manet and Steinbeck, so I’ll just bring some (non-wrathful) impressionist grapes. 

IMG_0385.thumb.jpeg.f5eb3a6e89bf8ec0abf392a53279d20a.jpeg

And, what the hell, a bottle of wine. I mean, that’s also grapes ,right?

• Like 2
  • LOL 6
  • Love 3
(edited)
19 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

2/5, although that's being a little generous since I didn't have to actually write anything down in time.

We just have to think it in time (then we take turns answering). So go ahead, be generous.

11 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

2/5.  I don’t know what to do with Monet/Manet and Steinbeck, so I’ll just bring some (non-wrathful) impressionist grapes. 

IMG_0385.thumb.jpeg.f5eb3a6e89bf8ec0abf392a53279d20a.jpeg

And, what the hell, a bottle of wine. I mean, that’s also grapes ,right?

I see, and appreciate, what you did there. 😆

4 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

2/5 This week. Monday and Friday. It’s been too hot to cook so I’m bringing a charcuterie platter for everyone to share. 
EB7D3C35-C412-41C6-B436-BF53527B0B6C.thumb.jpeg.4f399a40c371b0e285807e10c54eceea.jpeg

The best thing on hot days!

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Like 4

4/5 - stumbling my way along with some wild guesses.  I was reasonably sure on Monet/Manet and the Maine but guessing for City Lights and Steinbeck.  Taipei made perfect sense when I saw the answer but I got nowhere near it - not even sure I had a guess other than "Huh?".  

My too hot to cook dinner for the weekend was bagels, cream cheese, capers and lox from a favorite deli which I am glad to share.  No idea if it fits in any theme but everything else sounds yummy as well.  

• Like 4
  • Applause 3

Week forty-four: two of five. On Friday, I spent the entire 30 seconds trying to remember the author of The Grapes of Wrath, to no avail. 

I'll go to Kroger and grab some cotton candy grapes. They are out of this world!

• Like 6
On 7/16/2023 at 11:48 AM, Clanstarling said:

We just have to think it in time (then we take turns answering). So go ahead, be generous.

We do the same. My parents pause the TV while they discuss 🤦

We had a great time in London, thanks for the anniversary wishes! 

2/5 - Monet & Manet and Maine. My wrong guesses were Taiwan, Powell’s, and no guess for Friday.

I’ll bring OG double popsicles - the kind that you broke off half to share with a friend. I don’t even know if they sell them like that anymore; I usually only see/buy singles. At least they still have silly riddles on the sticks! 

• Like 6

Week 45: 4/5
YTD: 112/225 (50%) with 19*

If anyone wants to join me for dinner, I made some poached chicken with Penzey's Revolution spice mix, with mashed potatoes and peas.

• Like 2
  • Applause 4

Week 45 – July 17 - 2023

187.     Government Officials - In 1867 he wrote to general Rousseau, "on arriving at Sitka... you will receive from the Russian commissioner the formal transfer" (William Seward)

188.     Man Made Objects - Around since 1998, it's now roughly the length of a football field & travels at about 5 miles per second (International Space Station)

189.     Famous Paintings - A German guidebook to a 1937 World's Fair dismissed it as a "hodgepodge of body parts that any four-year-old could have painted" (Guernica)

190.     19th Century British Poems - The author of this unfinished epic poem was unsure if he wanted the title character to "end in Hell--or in an unhappy marriage" (Don Juan)

191.     Numbers Old and New - Expressed in today's numbers, it's the sum total if you add the 7 Roman numerals together (1,666)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

4/5 missed Don Juan 

I had learned 1,666 for the Roman numerals at some point, but if I hadn’t already known it I probably would’ve panic-calculated incorrectly.

Mango Bellinis for all. Cheers! 

IMG_1010.thumb.jpeg.5650f549860bb7cf9387984be2fec217.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2

3/5 Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday.

Carpaccio and bellinis sounds like heaven! Along with what everyone else is bringing, this sounds like a high class feast.  I'll bring after dinner mints.

• Like 3
  • LOL 1
5 hours ago, DXD526 said:

2/5. Instaget Monday, educated guess on Tuesday, then bust.

Same results for me.  If I'd thought to start with the big numbers, I might have gotten to 1666 in time.

• Like 4
5 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Same results for me.  If I'd thought to start with the big numbers, I might have gotten to 1666 in time.

My husband said starting at M & working back to I was the key for him getting it within the time limit. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1