Type keyword(s) to search

Season 39 Final Jeopardy! Contest

saber5055
  • Start Topic

(edited)
2 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Week 37 – May 22, 2023 - ***Three Asterisks

147.     Children’s Books - The original 1900 printing of this book was in a pale green dust jacket stamped in a vivid jewel tone of green

148.*   Shakespeare’s Characters - Both of the names of these 2 lovers in a Shakespeare play come from Latin words for "blessed"

149.*   Classical Music - When the opera "Lohengrin" premiered in 1850, this man, a future in-law of the composer, was the conductor

150.     Asia - Trained as an engineer, premier Li Peng championed this in 1992; it would ultimately displace over a million people

151.*   Groups in History - The third-most famous group that invaded Britain in the 5th century, they gave their name to the continental part of Denmark

Just to clarify: 
“Yangtze Dam”
would not be accepted for:
"Three Gorges Dam,"
would it?
Because that would change my 0/5 to 1/5, but then I'd have to leave the 0 table, and I hear they're going to have gourmet donuts.

Edited by shapeshifter
there ≠ they're
  • Like 1
  • LOL 2
10 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Just to clarify: 
“Yangtze Dam”
would not be accepted for:
"Three Gorges Dam,"
would it?
Because that would change my 0/5 to 1/5, but then I'd have to leave the 0 table, and I hear they're going to have gourmet donuts.

Since Three Gorges Dam is what comes up when I Google "Yangtze Dam" I'm accepting it for you and anyone else who said it. I never even got to "Dam", you can join me and the other  1s (if there are any...)

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1

1 for me this week.  I got Monday then it went downhill after that.

Exactly what I was going to say! If I have to go 1/5, I'd rather get Friday. Getting off to a promising start by getting Monday right, only to have crickets the rest of the week, is so disappointing...

• Like 5

1/5.

I started Monday with a win, then made the same mistake that Ben did on Tuesday and didn’t have a clue for the rest of the week. I think it was karma biting me because I was rooting for Ben to lose. (He seems like a nice guy but I don’t like runaway games.)

• Like 5

As I feared, I end the week 0/5. But at least I get to have those blueberry bagels I’ve been craving.

D0E68BB3-C581-4C0A-BD45-5438EE166E75.jpeg.f3440810aae542bd7c70160ea80c36f3.jpeg

And don’t worry, Shapeshifter, I’ll be happy to pick up the slack on the gourmet donuts.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • LOL 1
23 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Since Three Gorges Dam is what comes up when I Google "Yangtze Dam" I'm accepting it for you and anyone else who said it. I never even got to "Dam", you can join me and the other  1s (if there are any...)

Thanks!💓
I'll sacrifice the 0 table's gourmet donuts for our 1 table's carrot sticks.🥕
No doubt I'll be back to the donuts soon enough.😉

• Like 4
  • Wink 1

I think all I got was 2/5. I’ll bring a nice 4 bean salad. (Chickpeas, red beans, green beans, wax beans, red onions, water chestnuts, celery and lots of parsley dressed with a light lemon vinaigrette) I’ll even put the black olives on the side for those of you who don’t enjoy them. 

• Like 4

3/5 1*

I got Monday & Friday, and thanks to @Clanstarlingruling my answer of Yangtze Dam was accepted for Thursday. I came up with Beatrice for Tuesday but couldn’t think of Benedict.

I will bring aebelskivers in honor of Friday’s clue. They are Danish puffed pancake balls that I discovered at brunch yesterday. So good!!

Dr Toothbrush & I celebrate our 30th anniversary tomorrow! We didn’t have our first kid until 14 years in, so while our friends’ kids are getting married & having kids of their own, we’re dealing with driver’s Ed, braces, & the worst of all - teen/tween hormones & attitudes. 

B0A5D703-53A0-4955-9E9A-4CFE695F6751.jpeg.65b95bddf2c480f478292b802aa55261.jpeg

• Hugs 3
  • Applause 2
  • Love 4

3/5 with 1* which I only got thanks to rewatching a Time Team episode last week that laid out all the relevant period invaders of Britain.  No Liszt or Shakespearean characters for me (although I do believe the information was somewhere in my brain box for both but nowhere near verbalizing either).

I will bring some fixings for open face sandwiches (which I first had in Denmark - the first place I visited in Europe) to go with the aebelskivers.  Happy Belated Anniversary @Toothbrush!

• Like 3
  • Applause 2
  • Love 1

("Literary Groups") Well, I knew tonight's FJ much as I did the same type in the Masters FJs, and, indeed, as I knew mine when I was on the show---because I taught the broader subject matter.

Plus in this case I've been to all three places! 

• Like 1
(edited)
17 hours ago, theartandsound said:

Week of 22 May: 1/5, no *.

star trek spock GIF

If you haven't seen it, you might be interested in "The Center Seat 55 years of Star Trek." We're currently watching...very interesting.

Edit: We're watching it on Prime.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 3
(edited)

Week 38: 2/5 with 1* (Wednesday's archery)
YTD: 90/190 (47%) with 15*

I don't eat macarons or macaroons, but since they're virtual I will bring some adorable macarons shaped like other food. Apparently they are filled with coffee swiss meringue buttercream. (And yes that hot dog is winking at you.)

image.png

Edited by ams1001
  • Like 4
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
6 minutes ago, Driad said:

4/5, no *.  Bringing macaroons macarons cookies.

There were two * this week, Lake Poets on Tuesday and archery on Wednesday. So if you have four you must have gotten at least one.

• Thanks 1
  • Useful 1

Sorry to be late. Things were hectic this week and we ended up watching Thursday and Friday last night and I forgot about posting. Here they are:

Week 38 – May 29, 2023 – ** Two Asterisks

152.     Memorials - The Vietnam War crypt at this memorial has been empty since the remains once there were identified & moved to St. Louis

153.*   Literary Groups - Windermere, Thirlmere & Grasmere are 3 of the sites that helped give a 19th century literary group this name

154.*   Sports and the Movies - A Geena Davis Institute study found shortly after a 2012 franchise film's release, women's participation in this sport rose 105%

155.     Country Names - The first current country to include its particular religion in its full name, it also has that religion in the name of its capital

156.     20th Century America - In bold letters, it was the 2-word historic N.Y. Times headline for August 9, 1974, followed by "He urges a time of 'healing"'

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1
  • Thanks 3
13 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I don't eat macarons or macaroons, but since they're virtual I will bring some adorable macarons shaped like other food. Apparently they are filled with coffee swiss meringue buttercream. (And yes that hot dog is winking at you.)

image.png

I love both macaroons and macarons! I've been lucky enough to get Macarons in France, such a special memory for me. Those in the picture are adorable!

• Like 5
(edited)

1/5 thanks to Thursday's Pakistan. 

Almost got a couple of others, but was distracted and exhausted by visiting family shenanigans, plus, I was living far off the grid during Watergate etc., so I wrongly guessed "Nixon Resigns Pardoned," knowing it wasn't quite right.

Growing up, I only knew of coconut "macaroons." Apparently their unleavened status elevated them to a place at the table among my more religious Eastern European forbearers, and, therefore, occasionally at ours.

But the visiting daughter's friend has a flourishing-but-private macaron business. She makes all of them herself by hand. Truly works of art. I've eaten a couple too. They are as delectable as they are beautiful: instagram.com/cesiliasmac_a_rohns
image.png.88f4924dc27f506308eb5a71fc6db09a.png

I'd never encountered them before, as I don't buy cookies unless for potlucks (like here) or gifts, and so was confused by their name.

I thought these low-cal, low-fat confections I used to get at Trader Joe's for office parties might be macaroons or macarons, but apparently not:

6372ade7828491001b2c5666?width=1000&format=jpeg&auto=webp

Still, help yourselves! They're mostly air. 😉

Edited by shapeshifter
Correct FJ was "Nixon Resigns" not "Nixon Pardoned"
  • Like 5

3/5, missed Tuesday and Wednesday, of course! For Wed, I thought of Million Dollar Baby, and said boxing. When it was wrong, I looked it up, and MDB was released in 2004, and The Hunger Games in 2012. So I was eight years off. I still thought it was a pretty good guess...

• Like 5
  • Applause 1

2/5 - I got Monday and Friday, thanks to, well, the 70s.

At least I think so - but @shapeshifter said:

Almost got a couple of others, but was distracted and exhausted by visiting family shenanigans, plus, I was living far off the grid during Watergate etc., so I wrongly guessed "Nixon Resigns," knowing it wasn't quite right.

I thought "Nixon Resigns" was the right answer.  No?

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
(edited)
4 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

2/5 - I got Monday and Friday, thanks to, well, the 70s.

At least I think so - but @shapeshifter said:

I thought "Nixon Resigns" was the right answer.  No?

Oops.
You are correct! 
My incorrect response was: Nixon Pardoned.

My apologies! 
Do I get a pardon? 🙃

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 4
  • LOL 5

Week thirty-eight: two of three, no asterisks. 

I got Monday and Friday, like most of the crew. I think I might have gotten the Lake Poets on Tuesday if I had watched it live, but it was an archive day. Too many meetings last week (and this week, too!).

• Like 4
  • Applause 1

4/5 with 2 * - again giving credit to tv viewing habits (lots of Britbox/Acorn non fiction viewing which gave me the Lake Poets) and a mental image of Geena Davis doing archery which popped directly into my brain.  

I missed Thursday's answer - a long week at work left me too tired to figure out the clue but it made total sense once revealed (don't they all?)

• Like 3
  • Applause 4