Type keyword(s) to search

Season 39 Final Jeopardy! Contest

saber5055
  • Start Topic

21 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

I don't have your score for last week, did I just miss it? (easy enough to do)

Pretty sure I posted it but I don't feel like looking... 

Week 31 - 3/5 with one *

2/5 with Dickinson * Other correct answer was John Williams. I had no idea for Thursday & guessed Centurion for Friday. I can’t remember my guess for Monday, but I do remember being very confident in my incorrectness. 

• Like 2
  • Wink 1

3/5 with 1*.  Started the week strong and drifted off at the end. 

Thank you to W&M American Lit classes for the Dickinson info - sorry I let down the History Department by not getting to the Praetorian Guard in time! 

Meta made sense  when I saw it but I would not have gotten there for love or money.

• Like 3
  • Applause 2
3 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

3/5 this week.  I think I got two asterisks, but I'm not sure.  One for tonight, definitely.  Was Tuesday an asterisk?  If so, I got that one, as well.

Yes.

Week 33: 1/5 Tue: Hawaii 5-0*

For Friday I just said Boston Harbor, so I was at least within a mile or 2.

• Like 3

Week 33: 1/5 with one *
YTD: 78/165 (47%) with 12*

In honor of my one correct (and Revolutionary!) answer, I'll bring Teas of the Boston Tea Party.

image.thumb.png.327ddf47656066ae7b126876233e7046.png

Edited by ams1001
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
20 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

In honor of my one correct (and Revolutionary!) answer, I'll bring Teas of the Boston Tea Party.

To go with the tea:
image.thumb.png.327ddf47656066ae7b126876233e7046.png
Even though I'm not British, I bring a variety of milks, because that's the way I like my black and green tea, as well as coffee:
image.png.41c2a77dc3258a2fee45aeb67faf021b.pngimage.png.d0ef1544ba36af5749a74bca978eda2d.pngimage.png.59b197baba92d58d7efa1e7d7c8891a0.pngimage.png.462a9ebcd6fe682447ffbe8624405ceb.png

• Like 4
3 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Even though I'm not British, I bring a variety of milks, because that's the way I like my black and green tea, as well as coffee:

I don't drink coffee and I'm not a green tea fan (there's one I like but I wouldn't put milk in it) but I almost always put milk in my black tea.

• Like 3

Week 33 – April 24, 2023 - *** Three Asterisks

147.     US Geography - Interstate 25 connects these 2 state capitals, 1st & 2nd in elevation, & in between runs through No. 3, Denver

148.*   TV History - The 1980s "Magnum, P.I." used a soundstage of this long-running drama that had just ended, & even referred to its lead character

149.*   Hollywood History - Last name of 3 men who missed the 1927 premiere of "The Jazz Singer" because a 4th of that name had died hours before

150.     Historic Figures - Dante gives him, born to a Kurdish family in the 12th century, a place of honor in limbo along with the war heroes of Rome & Troy

151.*   US Landmarks - In April 1975, to symbolize the start of America's Bicentennial, President Ford lit a third lantern at this landmark

• Thanks 2
12 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

Am I the first zero this week? So that’s something, right?

I had zero two or three weeks ago, if it makes you feel any better. I was fully expecting another one this week, but the Old North Church saved me.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

1/5 with a * for Friday, which was an instaget, so a strong finish 😒 SMH when Tuesday's answer was revealed, but Magnum PI was just never on my radar, even though I remember it was filmed in HI. 

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

Week 33: 3/5, three *

YTD: 66/165 eleven *, two C *

31 minutes ago, Good Queen Jane said:

Funny that for me the asterisks were all instagets while I couldn’t even come up with a guess for the other two.

Me too!

• Like 4
  • Applause 2
3 hours ago, Trey said:

1/5 1*

Thank you, Paul Revere.

2 hours ago, labresq said:

2 of 5 this week, both asterisks!  Thanks Steve McGarrett  and Paul Revere.

Actually, I'm giving my thanks for Friday's FJ not to Revere himself, but to Longfellow, and to the 5th Grade teacher who required us to memorize his poem! Knowing "On the eighteenth of April in seventy-five," gave additional relevance to the clue's reference to April, 1975 when President Ford placed the third lantern.

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1

3** Feeling pretty good.

14 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Yes, you are. At least the first who reported it. When I'm at zero, it takes me a while to gird up my loins to record it for all to see. 😉

• Like 1
  • Wink 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 4
15 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Yes.
It means you get to take my place as the person here to lower the curve,
a distinction I've held 9 times so far this season. 
Thank you!

• LOL 4
45 minutes ago, opus said:

3/5

Since 3 FJs were *worthy, I bet you have at least one asterisk, if not more. Check out these asterisk answers:

*Hawaii 5-0

*Warner Bros

*Old North Church

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Clanstarling said:

Since 3 FJs were *worthy, I bet you have at least one asterisk, if not more. Check out these asterisk answers:

*Hawaii 5-0

*Warner Bros

*Old North Church

Yup, those were my 3 correct.

• Like 1
  • Applause 2
20 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

You may have been first, but I'm here to join you 😉  Zero for me, too. 

• Like 4
  • Hugs 1
  • Love 1

Week 30: two of five with one asterisk.

Week 31: three of five with one asterisk.

Week 32: three of five with no asterisks.

Week 33: four of five with three asterisks.

My apologies for the late reporting. In the last month, I've been to three funerals. I've lost my cousin's wife, my former roommate's husband, and this past week, a friend I've known and loved for fifty years. Dave and I joined the West Virginia University Marching Band together in August of 1972, and we've been dear friends ever since. April is definitely the cruelest month.

• Hugs 10
  • Sad 7
14 minutes ago, 30 Helens said:

2/5** (Hawaii 5-0 and Warner)

I couldn’t decide between a pineapple upside-down cake and a bowl of macadamia nuts, so I’m bringing both.

Oh. Right!
Hawaiian foods!
I'm bringing apple bananas and strawberry papayas from the Farmers Market in Kona:

AF1QipO4RjIf5XAXHxHz9IQp0Spah6vksiI500SM

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

3/5 with 3 * - I couldn't wrap my Monday brain around the geographical route and somewhere in the dimmest recesses of my brain I knew Thursday's answer but it would not have appeared at the forefront for a very, very long time.

For Friday, I give instget credit to both Revere and Longfellow but mostly to my longsuffering parental Grundoons who let me drag them around the Freedom Trail a ridiculous number of times on visits to Boston relatives.  What a great way for a history obsessed kid to burn off energy (the longest walking day I remember was the Trail, Jamaica Pond and Bunker Hill monument).  I need to get back into that shape.  

• Applause 2
  • Love 2

2/5, 2*
I watch way too much tv to not get Hawaii 5-0, and my sixth grade teacher Mr. Lovenbury made me memorize part of that damn Paul Revere poem (and I weirdly still remember a lot of it 30+years later).

• Applause 3
1 hour ago, helpmerhonda said:

(and I weirdly still remember a lot of it 30+years later).

Songs and poems are stored in a different part of your brain than regular speech. I learned that when I read Patricia Neal's autobiography.  When she had her massive stroke and had to learn speech all over again as an adult, it would boggle her family that she couldn't speak, but could sing songs & recite nursery rhymes from her childhood.

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Useful 1
(edited)
31 minutes ago, Good Queen Jane said:

Asking for a ruling now. For Monday's FJ I said Gulliver without a first name because I had no idea what his first name was. Does that count as correct? Mayim said Gulliver alone first and then gave the full name.

I believe you are safe. 

They were looking for the "title character" and his first name is not part of the title; on the Archives they give the FJ answer as (Lemuel) Gulliver which probably indicates they didn't need to say his first name.

eta: This is JMO since I am not authorized to give rulings.

Edited by Trey
  • Like 3
  • Applause 1
9 hours ago, Good Queen Jane said:

Asking for a ruling now. For Monday's FJ I said Gulliver without a first name because I had no idea what his first name was. Does that count as correct? Mayim said Gulliver alone first and then gave the full name.

I think it counts.

• Like 2