Type keyword(s) to search

Season 39 Final Jeopardy! Contest

saber5055
  • Start Topic

13 minutes ago, Trey said:

Will you be picking up the heirloom tomatoes from the Farmers' Market as seen on Thursday's show?

Yes.  Glad that Jeopardy is a time travel show.  My real garden does not have ripe tomatoes yet.  Good luck with yours.

• Like 4
  • LOL 2

Week 42 (hey, just realized it was week 42 when someone didn't know that 42 is the answer to life, the universe, etc.  Someone on another site pointed out that he had $4200 at the time but I didn't go back and check):

3/5, no *.  I started the week strong but ended up on a ghost ship far from Japan.

Let me just brag that between last week and this week, I did have a streak of 6 correct, which probably won't be happening again.

• Like 2
  • Applause 6
7 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Week 42 (hey, just realized it was week 42 when someone didn't know that 42 is the answer to life, the universe, etc.  Someone on another site pointed out that he had $4200 at the time but I didn't go back and check):

Well, wasn't that cute and sneaky of them... I like those sneaky clues. But I like them better when I catch them. LOL.

• Like 3
  • Wink 1
On 7/1/2023 at 8:01 AM, Driad said:

3/5.  Bringing heirloom tomatoes to go with Shapeshifter's lettuce.

We could've had a lettuce thinning party at my son-in-law's:

image.thumb.png.7df32b061c3276460453b16db1baf286.png

For Thursday's AT THE FARMERS MARKET category I instagot heirloom tomatoes, probably because of all those hours I used to spend poring over seed catalogs in the 1980s, but until I heard the clue:

• "Let's grab some of these tomatoes whose name reflects that the varieties have been around for at least 50 years"

— I had never realized "heirloom tomatoes" were varieties that had to be 50 years old.

• Like 4

Those lettuces look lovely. The squirrels and/or groundhogs ate all our lettuces as well as most of our herbs and my five green bean plants.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3
24 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

We could've had a lettuce thinning party at my son-in-law's:

image.thumb.png.7df32b061c3276460453b16db1baf286.png

For Thursday's AT THE FARMERS MARKET category I instagot heirloom tomatoes, probably because of all those hours I used to spend poring over seed catalogs in the 1980s, but until I heard the clue:

• "Let's grab some of these tomatoes whose name reflects that the varieties have been around for at least 50 years"

I had never realized "heirloom tomatoes" were varieties that had to be 50 years old.

Huh, same here. I thought “heirloom” referred to being able to grow them from their own seeds, as opposed to hybrids. But I can’t seem to grow any tomatoes under any circumstances, so what do I know?

• Love 1
1 minute ago, SoMuchTV said:

Huh, same here. I thought “heirloom” referred to being able to grow them from their own seeds, as opposed to hybrids. But I can’t seem to grow any tomatoes under any circumstances, so what do I know?

Those are called open pollinated.

• Like 1
  • Useful 3

3/5 with no * - I am with those who started strong and faded as the week went on.  Probably due to a tiring work week and low air quality/bad weather.  I love you Canada - Happy Belated Canada Day!  But can you keep your smoke to yourself for awhile?

My farmer's market finds were end of the season strawberries and first of the season Michigan cherries - glad to share both.

• Hugs 2
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

I will also bring some radishes, but keep them to the side as not everyone likes them. 

I like radishes with a nice sprinkle of salt.

• Like 2

I've been in and out of town for a couple of weeks, so I've been catching up via thejeopardyfan.com.

Week forty-one: three of five, with one asterisk.

Week forty-two: three of five, with no asterisk.

I'm still traveling, so my report on this week will late.  But I'll be up in the mountains, with the high temps in the mid-70s and the lows in the 50s. It's heaven!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 3
  • Love 3

2/5 no * I only got Thursday correct because rabbits + novel = Watership Down on Jeopardy, and horses was all I could think of for Friday. My most boneheaded guess was Bhutan instead of Lesotho, knowing full well that Bhutan is not applicable when the category is African Countries 🤦And I always associated Bobby socks with the 50s rather than the 40s. 

Dr Toothbrush & I are headed to London at the behind crack of dawn to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary which was in late May. Sans the mini-Toothbrushes who are dividing the 10 days between their 2 sets of grandparents. My in-laws are downsizing but waiting to list their house for sale until after Hurricane mini-Toothbrushes blows through lol 

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Love 6
2 minutes ago, Toothbrush said:

Dr Toothbrush & I are headed to London at the behind crack of dawn to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary which was in late May. Sans the mini-Toothbrushes who are dividing the 10 days between their 2 sets of grandparents. My in-laws are downsizing but waiting to list their house for sale until after Hurricane mini-Toothbrushes blows through lol 

Happy Anniversary!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 1

Week 43 – July 3 – 2023 - ** Two Asterisks

177.*   Fashion - The name of these items that became a 1940s fad derives in part from a word meaning "to cut short" (Bobby Socks)

178*.   Classical Music - Composed around 1720, this group of instrumental works was dedicated to a younger brother of Prussian king Frederick I (The Brandenburg Concertos)

179.     African Countries - Nicknamed "the Kingdom in the Sky", this landlocked nation is the only country in the world to lie entirely above 4,000 feet (Lesotho)

180.     20th Century Lit - Squashing the allegory theory, the daughters of the author of this novel say it's "just a story about rabbits" (Watership Down)

181.     History & Nature - In March 1519, these were again seen in mainland N. America for the first time in 10,000 years with the arrival of 16 of them (Horses)

Note: I'm experimenting this week with putting in the answers as well. I don't know if I'll keep it up. Let me know if it's helpful.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 7
(edited)
12 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Week 43 – July 3 – 2023 - ** Two Asterisks

177.*   Fashion - The name of these items that became a 1940s fad derives in part from a word meaning "to cut short" (Bobby Socks)

178*.   Classical Music - Composed around 1720, this group of instrumental works was dedicated to a younger brother of Prussian king Frederick I (The Brandenburg Concertos)

179.     African Countries - Nicknamed "the Kingdom in the Sky", this landlocked nation is the only country in the world to lie entirely above 4,000 feet (Lesotho)

180.     20th Century Lit - Squashing the allegory theory, the daughters of the author of this novel say it's "just a story about rabbits" (Watership Down)

181.     History & Nature - In March 1519, these were again seen in mainland N. America for the first time in 10,000 years with the arrival of 16 of them (Horses)

Note: I'm experimenting this week with putting in the answers as well. I don't know if I'll keep it up. Let me know if it's helpful.

It's helpful, but if this becomes too much of a chore, let us know ("many hands makes a light load" and all that).

Week 43: 2/5 Thurs. Watership Down; Fri. horses

I still have a vague memory of being traumatized by reading Watership Down at 19 or 20 years old, so that clue was definitely a red herring, IMO, but at least I never forgot the title, perhaps also because, as I posted on the main thread:
Watership Down's author Richard Adams' true children's book, "The Tyger Voyage," is a lovely rhyming tale for children of any age, with gorgeous illustrations, which Mom sent for my kids from one of the biannual book fairs at the South Park Elementary School in Deerfield IL where she was secretary to the principal through 1986:

Speaking of Mom, I do recall Mom mentioning Bobby socks.
But "cut short" didn't take me there. 
Regardless, yes, they were a 50s phenom too: https://nostalgiacentral.com/pop-culture/fads/bobbysoxers/

How about some cold lemonade? 

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 5

Week 43:  1/5   0*   Overall: 98/215  16*   Sigh! Just realized that even if I have perfect weeks until the end of the season I still won't be at 50% for the season.

• Hugs 6

Regarding:

17 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

from the main thread:

1 hour ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

it's disputed if horses were here already before being brought from Europe. So ....not the best question. 
https://ictnews.org/news/yes-world-there-were-horses-in-native-culture-before-the-settlers-came

• Useful 2
21 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

image.thumb.png.385d98de3288c51939b7f0b64ec40efe.png

3 hours ago, Driad said:

Is the last week of the FJ contest week 46, July 24-28?

Were winners of last year's FJ contest ever declared?

That's what I have as the last week. Looking back at last year's contest forum, it doesn't seem as though the winners were declared. I'm guessing Saber was overwhelmed by other issues.

• Like 3
  • Love 3

1/5 no*.

For Tuesday, I said those pieces by Bach that start with a B but couldn’t get to the full name in time. For Friday I said horses but then thought it couldn’t be right so changed to cows. So at least I was in the ballpark for the majority of FJ.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
On 7/3/2023 at 11:44 AM, Mindthinkr said:

I will also bring some radishes, but keep them to the side as not everyone likes them. 

I used to hate radishes, until I learned how to cook them in the air fryer. (Cut in wedges, toss with oil, salt and pepper, then air fry until browned.) Add a little butter after, and yum! Great potato subsitute.

On 7/7/2023 at 6:57 PM, Toothbrush said:

Hurricane mini-Toothbrushes 

So, basically, little Waterpiks? 😉

Happy Anniversary!

5 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Looking back at last year's contest forum, it doesn't seem as though the winners were declared. 

I declare we ALL won! (LOL. I wasn’t even playing then.)

As for *this* year’s contest… 1/5 for me this week. Thank goodness for Watership Down. (I’m going to actually read it someday, I swear.) I couldn’t bring myself to make any food from actual rabbits, so how about some cake pops in the form of bunnies? 🐰 

IMG_0382.jpeg.70a58d951ef0d8dfa5827c8ea48bf8bb.jpeg

• Like 4
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3