Type keyword(s) to search

Season 39 Final Jeopardy! Contest

saber5055
  • Start Topic

4/5, no asterisk 

I once went on a Ghost Walk in Saint John, New Brunswick, and one of the "ghosts" was Loyalist hero Benedict Arnold... 

• Like 2
  • Applause 4

Week thirty-five: four of five with the asterisk! I never heard of the book from Monday, but the rest of the week was a piece of cake.  I'll have to find some kind of yummy cake to bring to the table for four!

• Applause 5
(edited)
11 hours ago, j5cochran said:

I never heard of the book from Monday

I read both The Kite Runner and A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini, and knew that was the book being clued, but had no hope of recalling the title(s) or the author, regardless of the time of day I watched the game or how much sleep I’d had.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 3

3/5 with one * (thanks to a long ago trip to Australia with some time spent in Canberra - apparently this fixed the date somewhere in my brain).  I saw/heard some publicity about Jamie Lee Curtis returning to her role - I only ever saw the first film but have always liked her in other roles.  Had a brief fascination with Benedict Arnold years ago so remembered his epitaph.

For Monday, I was pretty sure that it was the next book by the author of The Kite Runner but couldn't get any closer than that.  Friday my brain was not firing on many cylinders thanks to my boss hosting an event with good food and beverages late in the day, so I had a great time but never came near the answer.  

• Like 4

Holy moley! I got 5/5 this week. Now in real life, there are at least a couple I’m sure I wouldn’t have gotten written down in time, but I’ve never been anywhere this close before so I’m going to claim it. Talk to my lawyer if you have issues. 

• Fire 3
  • Applause 7
  • LOL 2

5/5! I guessed our old friend Albert Camuuu as a joke because I was stumped & whadda ya know! Friday took a sec then I got the GA to ME connection. Makes me feel good because Jeopardy Masters has made me feel like a dunce! 

• Like 4
  • Applause 9

Week 36: 3/5
— which is like a 5/5 for me, LOL
Mon: Rolling Stone; Wed: Pearl Harbor; Fri: Appalachian Trail 

32 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

I have a box of chocolate covered cherries to contribute.

I found some more😉

image.thumb.png.0801504148459924fa8ee5afa40e519c.png

• Like 1
  • Applause 5
  • Love 2

Week 36 – May 15, 2023

142.     Publications - The co-founder of this magazine that began in 1967 said its name comes primarily from a song title but noted a band name as well

143.     Authors - In 1960 Jean-Paul Sartre wrote of this man's "victorious attempt... to snatch every instant of his existence from his future death"

144.     US National Memorials - Efforts recently began to reintroduce 2 species of oyster to help restore the contaminated waters of this, a national memorial

145.     Billboard #1 Hits - Billy Joel said, "I think the one time I didn't write the music" before the lyrics was for this 1989 hit, "and I think it shows"

146.     The USA - People going north on this route say they're traveling "GAME", an acronym regarding their beginning & ending points

• Thanks 7

3/5 this week, Monday, Wednesday and Thursday. 

A phone call made me miss yesterday's FJ but I did see the answer on the screen before I read the question on the archive - it's about 50/50 if I would have gotten it if I saw the question first.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
11 minutes ago, Trey said:

3/5 this week, Monday, Wednesday and Thursday. 

A phone call made me miss yesterday's FJ but I did see the answer on the screen before I read the question on the archive - it's about 50/50 if I would have gotten it if I saw the question first.

If I got Appalachian Trail (which I did) then I'd give it to anyone who thinks there's a snowball's chance in hell they they would've gotten it. 🤣❄️🔥
Happy Trails! . . . to you-u-u🎶
Hrmmm...
interesting factoids about the "Happy Trails" song: 
wikipedia.org/wiki/Happy_Trails_(song)
I hope the Janis Joplin story might be a future FJ clue.

• Like 8

3 of 5!  Mon, Wed, Friday.  Kinda proud of myself, because I've had a tough week.  Had to say goodbye to my dog who has been with me for almost 3 years. Louie has been getting more aggressive towards me at random times and he bit me pretty severely over the weekend.  His foster mom and I made the tough decision to have him put down.  We know he had been in an abusive situation before she took him in.  Anyway it's really quiet at my house these days.

• Hugs 12
  • Sad 2

3/5 for me this week. A rolling stone gathers no moss, and it also didn’t start a fire on the Appalachian Trail.

This week, I will bring some New York -style pizza in honor of Billy Joel.

65E3A219-4C0F-490B-982C-BF6AF5B8628F.jpeg.5683f7ef00113a4ed0bfa7fcde0ce29c.jpeg

Sorry, I ate a slice on the way over.

• Like 3
  • Wink 1
  • LOL 6

4/5

Like many others it seems, just missed Tuesday. 

Last week at my pub trivia night, one of the answers was A Walk in the Woods, a movie adaptation of a book about walking the Appalachian trail, which I have even seen! So it was fresh in my mind. Spooky... 😉😂

• Like 1
  • Applause 7
  • LOL 1

5/5 - don't ask me how but the only wild guess was Tuesday and I went with Camus based on a vague memory that he had died young around that time. 

Monday and Wednesday popped quickly to my brain.  I have attended far too many Billy Joel concerts not to get Thursday and I will give thanks to Bill Bryson (book and movie) for Friday.

• Like 1
  • Applause 8

4/5, missed Camus.

In honor of the guardians of the waters of Pearl Harbor, I'll bring some oysters Rockerfeller to the table. (Because it's only natural to honor something by eating it...)

merlin_199179768_44235f13-0c98-406d-8dd5-1668f86601fd-articleLarge.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • LOL 6
  • Love 2
On 5/20/2023 at 4:25 PM, 30 Helens said:

This week, I will bring some New York -style pizza in honor of Billy Joel.

65E3A219-4C0F-490B-982C-BF6AF5B8628F.jpeg.5683f7ef00113a4ed0bfa7fcde0ce29c.jpeg

Sorry, I ate a slice on the way over.

You mean the only kind of pizza... 🤪

*says this born and raised Jerseyan who knows that if it isn't from NYC, NJ, or Long Island, it isn't pizza*

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
(edited)

Week 37: 2/5 with 2*
YTD: 88/185 (48%) with 14*

Will bring biscuits with butter in honor of the departing champ's undoubtedly adorable dogs, Butter and Biscuit.

image.png.cdeb3841b9616ca95cecd8eddd247741.png

Edited by ams1001
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

Week 37 – May 22, 2023 - ***Three Asterisks

147.     Children’s Books - The original 1900 printing of this book was in a pale green dust jacket stamped in a vivid jewel tone of green

148.*   Shakespeare’s Characters - Both of the names of these 2 lovers in a Shakespeare play come from Latin words for "blessed"

149.*   Classical Music - When the opera "Lohengrin" premiered in 1850, this man, a future in-law of the composer, was the conductor

150.     Asia - Trained as an engineer, premier Li Peng championed this in 1992; it would ultimately displace over a million people

151.*   Groups in History - The third-most famous group that invaded Britain in the 5th century, they gave their name to the continental part of Denmark

• Thanks 2