Type keyword(s) to search

Season 39 Final Jeopardy! Contest

saber5055
  • Start Topic

15 hours ago, helpmerhonda said:

Week of March 20 - 3/5

Week of March 27 - 3/5, one *

(I think this catches me up. I'm sorry. But not really, because I was in Scotland all last week!)

One of the few times I think "Sorry, not sorry" is an acceptable statement! Watching Outlander will have to do for me. (though we're past the Scotland episodes now...😥)

• Like 1
  • Love 1

3/5, one *

At first I said Whirlpool, then thought "wait, there's a more obvious brand for that". Where did I even get the Whirlpool idea from in the first place?!!!! Anyway, fixed it in time 🤣

• Applause 3
(edited)

Whoops! Let a week get away from me. My retroactive results for last week (week 28) were 4/5, got the Caterbury asterisk.

Week 29: 3/5, got the Jacuzzi asterisk, not the other one.

Edited by dankesean
  • Applause 4

2/5 1*

Luckily I got Monday and Tuesday's FJ so at least I didn't have to go all week wondering if I'd be skunked again.  Still, I was hoping for one more FJ to get a passing grade.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1

Sorry folks, a little off my game last night. Since there are 4 astrisks this week, I don't think anyone needs to be ashamed of a low score. Of course, I'm saying that knowing I got 0 this week. 😉

Week 31 – April 3, 2023 **** Four Asterisks

132*.   20th Century Eponyms - A 1940 headline about this included "failure", "liability when it came to offense" & "stout hearts no match for tanks"

133.     Novelists - A 2012 book review noted subjects that "sparked his ire": capital punishment, big tobacco & "the plight of the unjustly convicted"

134*.   Movies of the 80s - Based on an off-Broadway play with just 3 characters, it won the Best Picture Oscar & the actors in all 3 roles were nominated

135*.   Fashion History - These decorative items get their name from their origin in the port city of Strasbourg, on the border of France & Germany

136*.   Geography - Of the 13 nations through which the equator passes, it's the only one whose coastline borders the Caribbean Sea

• Thanks 5
(edited)

1/5, but not a one of the 4 *'s.  I'll grab a few Grisham paperbacks from the library’s take-a-book-leave-a-book section for the table for 1 to pass around.

Edited by SoMuchTV
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

2, with 1*. Happily, geography is usually a good category for me! 

Pierogies are on the menu this weekend, so I'll bring those to share 😋 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
On 4/8/2023 at 10:40 AM, Good Queen Jane said:

1/5, no *.

So in a week with four asterisks, the one FJ I get is the one without! 

Same here. But consider this: There were 11 Jeopardy contestants last week. Of those 11, only one answered a FJ correctly— for the first and last time. And he was a 3-day champ! Crazy.

Yeah, I’ll say it was a tough week. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 3

2/5 with 1* - got Grisham and Driving Miss Daisy. 

Somewhere in the deepest recesses of my brain, I knew Maginot but all I could come up with was - "you know the French Line".  Rhinestones was so perfectly sensible that I laughed out loud when it was revealed but I was nowhere near getting the answer and I wasn't picturing South America at all successfully on Friday.

• Like 1
  • Applause 3
3 hours ago, dankesean said:

Week 30; 2/5, one * for Colombia.

I guessed Amadeus instead of Driving Miss Daisy, so my contribution shall be that most Viennese of desserts, the Sachertorte.

Sachertorte_DSC03027_retouched.jpg

OOooooooooohhh!!! 🤤

• Like 2

Danke schoen, @dankesean, that looks gorgeous and I want to eat it off of my screen.

This week (week 30) on the contest, the final scores are:

0 = 7

1 = 10

2 = 7

3 = 2

One Asterisk - 16

Two Asterisks - 1

The winner, by an asterisk is @dankesean with 3 and two asterisks!

image.png.3874c99f05dcabfc3cfca93f2011477c.png

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Applause 2
  • Useful 1

Week 31: 3/5*
YTD: 74/155 (48%) with 11*

Redeemed myself a bit this week. Recovering from a migraine; all I've got is Coke and ibuprofen. Though I suppose I should find some actual food to eat...

• Hugs 5

Week 32 – April 10, 2023 * One Asterisk

137.     Famous Names - In 1966, the year of his death, he shared plans for an experimental prototype community in Florida

138*.   Nobel Peace Prize Winners - At times they each lived on Vilakazi St. in Soweto, so it claims to be the world's only street home to 2 Nobel Peace Prize winners

139.     The Bill of Rights - England's "Bloody Assizes" & a 1685 life sentence for perjury were 2 main origins of this amendment to the U.S. Constitution

140.     Exploration - James Cook's account of a 1774 visit here records an object "near 27 feet long, and upwards of 8 feet over the breast or shoulders"

141.     Writer’s Lesser Known Works - Known for more philosophical works, he wrote the play "La Mandragola", in which Florentines are rewarded for immoral actions

• Thanks 3
5 minutes ago, Fex said:

@ams1001 sorry about that migraine. Hope the Coke and ibuprofen, plus some food, do the trick! 

Feeling mostly better now, thanks; had to get blood drawn this morning so I hadn't eaten, but the headache started last night. I was hoping it would be better in the morning but it wasn't. I ended up pulling into the bookstore parking lot on my way home because I needed to get out of the car. Found a chair in a quiet back corner and waited for the drugs and caffeine to kick in, so I was there for a while before I felt up to driving again. Was able to do a couple errands after that and when I got home I took a nap. Finally ate some dinner after J! was over. Now I'm just tired but it's bedtime.

• Hugs 8

3/5 with *
Guessed 4th amendment & had no idea for Thursday. Machiavelli made sense after hearing the answer.

Hubby got the correct amendment but couldn’t come up with Easter Island, only “the place with the big headed statues” lol He also got Mandela but not Tutu. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 3