Type keyword(s) to search

Season 39 Final Jeopardy! Contest

saber5055
  • Start Topic

4/5 with *

Guessed Diana Ross for Wednesday. I didn’t know Madonna did anything in 2022 besides get horrible plastic surgery & drink water from a bowl like a dog. It’s a shame that her antics now overshadow her music. I loved her back in the day; even dressed up like her for Halloween when I was 12 or 13 (mid-80s) 

• Like 3
  • Applause 3

3/5 due mainly to a couple of lucky guesses.  I was sure on the Tapestry (again travel/history show streaming to my rescue) and guessed on Jack and Madonna.

For the others, I couldn't focus enough on the clue to get the 1000 nights part right and somehow got fixated on Robert Ludlum and couldn't move it out of my brain to guess anything else. 

I am in the doldrums cooking-wise these days but I did rouse myself enough to make a tortellini and walnut dish that should sustain me this week - happy to share it. 

• Like 4
  • Applause 3

Last week set me up, and if I hadn't thought about it, I might have had a sweep week. But between Thursday and Friday games I realized I was on the verge of a perfect FJ! week--which I superstitiously believe jinxed myself.

So...4/5, 1*. Still an impressive week, but Friday was a let down.

• Like 2
  • Applause 4
12 hours ago, Ailianna said:

But between Thursday and Friday games I realized I was on the verge of a perfect FJ! week--which I superstitiously believe jinxed myself.

Every time I think "oh, it's going well this week" I start missing the FJs. I don't know if I think it's a jinx, but I definitely know it happens to me too!

• Like 5
10 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Every time I think "oh, it's going well this week" I start missing the FJs. I don't know if I think it's a jinx, but I definitely know it happens to me too!

Thank you! It's nice to know I'm not the only one!!

• Like 3

My all time highest score while recovering from several, simultaneously-contracted diseases from my daycare-going grandbaby (now officially toddler, Happy 1st Birthday!) while I was too weak to go for walks, but apparently the ol' gray matter snapped back: 
[drum roll]
Week 19: 4/5, 1*
Mon. Ford Model T*; Wed. Witches; Thu. Tower of London; Fri. Law & Order
Here's what Lambchop's birthday cake resembled:

image.png.fd00b56c3d64db6358593b38b52a1728.png

He loves strawberries and is fortunate to not be allergic to them.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 3
  • Applause 4
  • Love 2

Standing in for @saber5055. She can read the forum, but is unable to make posts since the site update. @PBnJay is having the same issue.

Week 19 • Jan. 16, 2023 - two asterisks

*84. Business Milestones.” These were first sold in 1908, at a price equivalent to about $27,000 today.*

*85. Geography Mnemonics MIMAL, sometimes said to be the silhouette of a chef or elf, stands for Minnesota, Iowa, Missouri, these 2 states.*

86. Early American History. In 1692 Increase Mather wrote, "It were better that ten suspected" these "escape, than that one innocent person... be condemned"

87. British Landmarks. Like Sir Thomas More, 3 16th century English queens are buried at this location

88. Television. Mike Post combined the sound of a slamming jail door, an anvil & 100 men stomping on a floor for this series that debuted in 1990

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 8

3/5 with 2* 

I’ll bring a charcuterie for us to graze on while the pasta @ams1001 is making cooks. I’ve been trying for 15 minutes to resize a picture of the last one I made, but it doesn’t want to work for me today. 
    Aha. I got it. Here’s an example of one I made for a dinner party. 

EB7D3C35-C412-41C6-B436-BF53527B0B6C.thumb.jpeg.4f399a40c371b0e285807e10c54eceea.jpeg

Edited by Mindthinkr
Add photo
  • Like 2
  • Applause 2
  • Love 3
11 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Standing in for @saber5055. She can read the forum, but is unable to make posts since the site update. @PBnJay is having the same issue.

That's wild!  I hope they've been able to let the admins know about the issue!

Only 1/5 for me, but at least it was one of the *'s (MIMAL).  I knew exactly what sound they were referring to Friday, but I couldn't sort through all those crime-y shows I don't watch.

• Like 7
12 hours ago, secnarf said:

Just 1/5* - only got the MIMAL one.

Same here. Amusing that's it's essentially geography and one of my worst topics.

56 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

That's wild!  I hope they've been able to let the admins know about the issue!

I don't think they have. I will be contacting the admins on their behalf. Hopefully we'll get this all sorted out soon.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2/5. Thu and Fri, so a strong finish. Fri was such an instaget, I knew it before Ken was done reading the clue. Since working at home began, L&O is on a lot in the 'background' at chez DXD!

• Like 6
  • Love 1

Week 19: 3/5 one *

YTD: 42/95 four *, two C *

13 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I couldn't post from my phone earlier this week, but I can post from my laptop. I'll try to post from my phone now and see if it works.

• Like 7

5/5 + 2 *

I’d not heard of MIMAL, but knowing that LA is the only state beginning in L, and that the states were going N to S, AR fit better than AL. Being from LA and knowing AR is N & AL is E helped.  Model T was a guess, but I think it lent itself better to a clue where a BMS could be prompted when a contestant inevitably answered cars like the eventual winner, whose name escapes me, did.  But since she won, ‘no harm no foul’ as Alex would say. 

• Like 1
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 2