Type keyword(s) to search

Season 39 Final Jeopardy! Contest

saber5055
  • Start Topic

4/5, 1*

As a non-American, I was very impressed with myself for getting Oregon/Nevada when none of the contestants did. And actually, impressed with everyone who got it, no matter where you're from. It was a hard clue!!

• Like 1
  • Applause 6

Week 21 – Jan. 30, 2023 – Two Asterisks

*94. Word Origins - Originally relating to a story of suffering, this word now more commonly refers to strong emotion of any kind

*95. US State Names - 5 U.S. states have 6-letter names; only these 2 west of the Mississippi River border each other

96. Literature - Published in 2011, P.D. James' final novel, "Death Comes to Pemberley", was a sequel to this novel from 200 years earlier

97. Mythology – Poseidon carried off the maiden Theophane & turned her into a ewe; their offspring was the source of this mythical object

98.  World War II - Mimi Reinhard, who never learned to type using more than 2 fingers, produced this with 1,100 names, including hers

• Thanks 4

0/5 this week, although it’s really 0/3 because I got J-blocked on Thursday and Friday. (Yes, he did it again.) Not saying I would have gotten the other two, but… maybe! It’s possible!

This week, I bring some leftover birthday pie. Like Saber, I prefer pies to cakes. New decade, new chance to crush at Jeopardy!

9A016FFF-7BD7-4DC7-AF46-3547A069DB5A.jpeg.b81334d5f71ae2d64e6138cc607396b6.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

0/5 this week, although it’s really 0/3 because I got J-blocked on Thursday and Friday. (Yes, he did it again.) Not saying I would have gotten the other two, but… maybe! It’s possible!

This week, I bring some leftover birthday pie. Like Saber, I prefer pies to cakes. New decade, new chance to crush at Jeopardy!

Happy birthday!!! I believe you would have gotten those FJs... bday magic 😁😉 

• Like 4
  • Love 1

Week twenty-one: four of five with one asterisk! I missed the passion on Monday (my, that sounds like a Regency Romance novel!), but the rest of the week was well within my wheelhouse.

With the cold weather throughout the eastern half of the country, I'd better bring a pot of five onion soup. The original recipe is from one of the great resorts in America - the Greenbrier - and this creamy soup is properly poured into your bowl from a silver pitcher and then topped with crispy fried shallots and chopped chives.

This is a very blurry shot of me being served my five onion soup ten years ago. We took my mom to the Greenbrier to celebrate her 90th birthday!

1686194331_2013-11-2418_32.30(2).thumb.jpg.2c8f927bb73fb1bb17bd8552664621ec.jpg

• Like 4
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 7

@30Helens - Happy Belated Birthday! @j5cochran- Greenbrier is still on my to-do list but the soup looks yummy. @M. Darcyafter congratulating myself for remembering the book/tv show, I thought of you.  

4/5 with one * - again my Monday brain let me down.  I was most surprised with how quickly I got Tuesday and then realized I have been playing a silly but fun hidden object game on my computer and it starts every session with a map of the western US (hurrah for time wasting!).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 5
  • Love 2

4/5 with 1 * or 4.5 with 1 1/2 * for getting Oregon Tuesday. Nevada didn’t even enter my mind. Hubby was stuck on Kansas, and even being the WWII nerd that he is, did not get Schindler’s List. 

Happy Birthday @30 Helens🥳Also thought of @M. Darcyafter Wed’s FJ

This week’s king cake is salted caramel cookie butter courtesy of MotherToothbrush. 

Edited by Toothbrush
  • Like 6
  • Wink 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1

Week 22: 2/5
YTD: 51/110 (46%) with 8*

I made chocolate syrup last weekend and picked up some vanilla ice cream tonight. I'll make milkshakes. Also have some strawberries in the freezer I can throw in.

dog loves GIF

• Thanks 2
  • Love 2

Week 22 – Feb. 6, 2023

94. Inventions - 1917's "Elements of Trench Warfare" said this Old West item was "difficult to destroy" & "difficult to get through"

95. Word Origins - This Sanskrit word referring to a spoken word or phrase comes from a word for "to think"

96. European Cities - Alphabetically the first German city in encyclopedias, it was also the first one taken by the Allies in World War II

97. Theater History - In 1904, wearing a harness, actress Nina Boucicault became the first to play this character onstage

98. European History - Until 1806, some German nobles included among their honors the title of "Elector" for their role in selecting this personage

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Thanks 5
51 minutes ago, secnarf said:

0/5 again :(

My spreadsheet also says it's week 21, so I guess I missed a week on my spreadsheet at some point - I hope I have reported here every week?

I think so.

This image of the most recent portion of my Notepad list might help?

image.png.fdaf167d142451a445b3facbb71b7539.png

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

I think so.

Mine is not so detailed unfortunately - just the week, the score, and asterisks. I didn’t even have the sense to include the dates, which would have prevented any issues. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2/5 I guessed cannons for Monday, chant for Tuesday, and couldn’t come up with anything for Wed. 

I like the new champion, but her vocal fry. Oy!

Savory king cake this week, provided my first crack at a crawfish king cake tomorrow is a success 🤞

• Like 4
9 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I think so.

I have mine in Excel (on the same sheet as my scorecard that I posted last week). So I put in 'week 1' and the date, then 'week 2' and the prior date +7, and then dragged it down to fill it in automatically.

Also I scrolled back and found last week's FJ clue post and it also says Week 21.

• Like 2

Week 22: 3/5. Kicking myself for missing mantra, but would have had no idea about Germany.

8 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

Savory king cake this week, provided my first crack at a crawfish king cake tomorrow is a success 🤞

Consider me intrigued.

• Like 1
  • Applause 2

Week 22 - 2/5.  Continuing with my philosophy that anything over 0/5 is gravy.

And I'll share my spreadsheet format.  Partway through the season, I discovered that it's very quick & easy to cut & paste the correct response daily from The Jeopardy Fan.  Really helps refresh my memory by the end of the week.

image.thumb.png.a491521bc15ff84e6d75543b136d6b96.png

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
12 hours ago, Driad said:

Thank you, but are you sure this was week 21?  My spreadsheet claims it was week 22.

Anyway, I got 3/5.

I'll double check, you're probably right. I haven't kept track of the weeks before filling in, and recreated the weeks from backtracking in the contest forum.

Ahh, looks like I missed the week of Jan. 30. Sorry about that.

Makes me feel a little better knowing some of you missed it too.

Anyway, not too shabby this week, 3/5

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Like 2
  • Applause 3