Type keyword(s) to search

Season 39 Final Jeopardy! Contest

saber5055
  • Start Topic

2/5, 1*

I had company a few times while watching Jeopardy this week, and there were two other days that I should have gotten FJ, but didn't. I'm going to have to get used to it bc I HOPE to continue to have this company... ☺️ 

Now the other weeks when I got 2/5 (or 1, or 0), it was all me 🤣 

• Like 1
  • Wink 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

What a weirdly shaped group of questions to get me to a 5/5 (with 2*- I think) for last week. 

Holy Grail is one of my favorite movies ever plus I was recently listening to my SPAMALOT CD in which the coconuts are featured at the end of a song; Manhattans were the parental Grundoons' drink of choice for years (plus a recent visit to the island and long ago history papers on the project); Silent Cal popped in my brain at the last possible second by remembering the anecdote that his father was a justice of the peace and swore him in; thanks to Stratford Shakespeare Festival for getting me to the Tempest and the Berlin Wall was just an IG from the dates. 

Since @Good Queen Jane is bringing the drinks, I will bring assorted cocktail nibbles. 

• Applause 5
  • Love 1

Sorry I am so late with the clues. But here they are:

Week 13 • Dec. 5, 2022 — TWO asterisk
56. Landmarks. In 2009, during a 20th anniversary celebration, it was called “an edifice of fear. On Nov. 9, it became a place of joy.”
57. Plays. A 1609 story in which an exiled king of Bulgaria creates a sea palace with his magic may have inspired the plot of this play.
* 58. U.S. Presidents. He was sworn in twice as President within 2 years, first by his father & then later by a former U.S. President. *
* 59. Name’s The Same. A cocktail, an island & a WWII venture originally called “Development of Substitute Materials” all bear this name.  *
60. 1970s Movies. A 1975 premiere of this comedy advertised free coconuts for the first thousand in the audience.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4
  • Applause 2

Week thirteen: one of five, no asterisks. I have no excuse but a bad cold. I'll sit at the annex to the Table for One, so I don't pass this bug along to any one else. I think my brains are dripping out of my sinuses!

• Hugs 5
  • LOL 1

Week 14:  4/5*

While I certainly can't be disappointed with my score this week, it was accomplished in the most painful manner, as I was 4/4 through Thursday. I was hopeful that I might be able to pull off a perfect week as I usually do fairly well in Geography categories. Alas, 5/5 perfection still eludes me. I guessed Indonesia. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 5

Week 14: 2/5
YTD: 30/70 (43%) with 5*

12 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Week ending 12/16: 2/5. I got Douglass & Die Hard.

Same.

I have some homemade chocolate chip cookies to offer up.

Edited by ams1001
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Week 14 • Dec. 12, 2022 — ONE asterisk
* 61. Latin Phrases. Originally, this 3-word phrase referred to when a doctor or apothecary substituted one medicine for another. *
62. 19th Century Americans. Demonstrating the dignity & humanity of Black Americans, he sat for 160 known photographs, the most of any American in the 19th century.
63. Presidential Facts. Only 3 presidents have married while in office— John Tyler was the first & he was the last.
64. Action Movies. Its last line is “If this is their idea of Christmas, I gotta be here for New Year’s.”
65. Countries of the World. It’s home to 58 UNESCO World Heritage Sites, more than any other country; the sites include a volcano & a lagoon.

Edited by saber5055
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 6

3/5, no latin, no world heritage sites (chose New Zealand just because)

I'll bring a trio of my homemade chocolate barks - white chocolate candy cane, jelly belly dark chocolate, "craizyturtles" caramel, pecan, and craisins in dark chocolate.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Week 14 • Dec. 12, 2022 — ONE asterisk
* 61. Latin Phrases. Originally, this 3-word phrase referred to when a doctor or apothecary substituted one medicine for another. *

From the OED (Oxford English Dictionary) Online:

image.thumb.png.8015186612154f38372a7738c9c32b90.png

image.thumb.png.826ac0b40f1f725ecb588bda0014a9f1.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 1
6 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I thought the country was probably large, with 58 sites. I chose the good ol USA, figuring we have some volcanoes and surely, there's a lagoon in Hawaii.  Boy, was I wrong.

I said the same thing for the same reason 😆 Glad I wasn't alone!

2/5, no *

• Like 4
  • Applause 2

I’m in a hotel in Panama City, Panama, and I just finished catching up with FJ for this past week.  I got 4/5, with the asterisk!  I think that means I should travel more and/or not watch the show and just use the archive.

I will freely admit that Wilson was a total guess.

• Like 1
  • Applause 8
1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

I’m in a hotel in Panama City, Panama, and I just finished catching up with FJ for this past week.  I got 4/5, with the asterisk!  I think that means I should travel more and/or not watch the show and just use the archive.

Cool! 
Er, ah, I mean: Warm!
After Googling, if I were there I'd check out this beach: beachsearcher.com/en/beach/591201077/gorgona-beach

• Like 3

Week fourteen: five of five with the asterisk! My first perfect week of the season, despite my lingering cold.

To help clear the cold symptoms, I decided to make chili tonight, but the hamburger in the freezer smelled a bit "off" after thawing. So tonight is experimental chili, with a bunch of canned mushrooms in place of the meat. We shall see how it goes, and if it's worth replicating for the T45!

• Like 2
  • Applause 7
3 hours ago, j5cochran said:

Week fourteen: five of five with the asterisk! My first perfect week of the season, despite my lingering cold.

To help clear the cold symptoms, I decided to make chili tonight, but the hamburger in the freezer smelled a bit "off" after thawing. So tonight is experimental chili, with a bunch of canned mushrooms in place of the meat. We shall see how it goes, and if it's worth replicating for the T45!

I have a veg recipe for chili that has beans & corn. It's called (and I didn't name it) Chili Con Corny.

• LOL 7

5/5 with 1*.  More than one was due to oddly shaped viewing habits of the past year.  I am sure some travel program mentioned the UNESCO fact (Mother Grundoon loved Italy and I have been lucky enough to visit some of the sites), Movies that Made Us on Netflix helped and T. Woodrow Wilson has always been a bit of an interest but I know I watched a documentary somewhere about Edith Wilson and her influence.  Monday and Tuesday were educated guesses.

I am belatedly starting holiday baking so can offer shortbread and nut brittle for all. 

• Applause 7
  • Love 1
17 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I think you ought to get another point just because you were in Panama - that's dedication!

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Like 3
  • LOL 3