Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E07: Taboo

• Start Topic

I wonder if they intentionally chose to air this mother-daughter-centric episode on International Women’s Day.

Marshmallows on sweet potatoes makes no sense to me. Seems like adding needless calories to something that’s already sweet, and turning something nutritious and delicious into junk food.

• Love 10
20 hours ago, chocolatine said:

There's also the immediate issue that giving a toddler too much sugar, special occasion or not, makes them very difficult to handle that day

I think that would be a better reason to fight, if they really needed to have them fight. Although there is always a sugar crash after the sugar high. I don't think that licking a spoon would have done too much damage though. If it is just a taste, it ends there. They have total power over the kid, in so many ways. The whole thing was to make the whole situation more melodramatic because they won't have time to write a long story about how a divorce came to be.

Toby being concerned about genetics is a bit forced. Kate's obesity is a matter of habit, not genetic, as far as we can tell. As a kid she was chubby. Many kids are. As a teenager she developed the habit of binging. It is not as straight forward as Toby said. He was obese, developed healthier habits. Like I said in another comment, education. Not much of what we eat is healthy, the healthier stuff not always available. Licking a spoon of something sweet that is a family tradition is not a bad habit. It is a one time thing, in one special day, at a special gathering.

He didn't have to make such a fuss, the kid was't going to get addicted to sugar at that moment

On a different note, the young adult Kevin was so much like adult Kevin, the way he was talking and reacting. Good acting coaching there

• Love 9
2 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

In the 50s, these upper class women married and became housewives and eventual mothers.  Whatever their world once was, it was now whittled down to the home. 

Even in the 50s, upper class housewives had interests and did activities outside the home.  It wasn't quite the prison it sometimes it was made out to be in popular culture.   

9 hours ago, himela said:

Regarding the last scene where Kate tells her daughter she will tell her the secret ingredient some day, I think it is a sign that she won't because she won't be there. Why else did they make this scene? And it was also the last scene of the episode that always means something. Anyone else saw it this way as well?

I just took it as a way to show the "secret" was continuing to be passed down the line.  I think Rebecca's mother said something similar to her and she said something similar to Kate when she was little.      

• Love 8
30 minutes ago, Shermie said:

Marshmallows on sweet potatoes makes no sense to me. Seems like adding needless calories to something that’s already sweet, and turning something nutritious and delicious into junk food.

My husband made a 9x13 sweet potato "casserole" that was sweet potatoes, brown sugar (2 cups?), and butter (1 lb). His family loved it, and I said "of course they do, it's candy." I suggested one year to halve the brown sugar and butter. It tasted the same. He doesn't make it anymore. Instead, he roasts cut up sweet potatoes with olive oil. Delicious. Sweet potato is sweet enough without adding anything to it.

Kevin really bothered me in this episode (aside from the guitar playing) by inserting himself into other people's business. Mom gets to choose who she dates; Kate and Toby's issues are for them to haggle out. Kevin -- this is why you don't get to be the health care proxy! Nobody likes your guardian complex.

Edited by smartymarty
  • LOL 1
  • Love 5
6 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

But Randall's research was done for selfish reasons.  Randall did the research to find out the best course of treatment for Randall not for Rebecca.  And Rebecca is going to remember this when deciding which of her kids will be her medical POA.  This wasn't Randall's savior complex rearing its ugly head, but Randall's selfishness.  He wasn't ready to lose another parent, so he strong-armed Rebecca into agreeing to the clinical trial.  He was also still miffed that Rebecca and Miguel dared to move to the West Coast to help Kate with their newest grandchild.  I remember us talking about this when the episode aired, and a lot of us here were questioning if Randall would have pushed Rebecca to do the clinical trial in St. Louis if she was still living on the East Coast with him.  

He still seems a little pissy about it. Like how very dare Rebecca spend some time with her other kids and grandkids. 

• Love 10
30 minutes ago, Sake614 said:

Meh. I like baked sweet potatoes, I like sweet potato fries. And on thanksgiving I like sweet potato casserole with brown sugar and marshmallow topping. Does it need it? Probably not. But it tastes good and it’s ONE DAY. JMO 😀

I don't do the marshmallows but I do a really nice brown sugar and toasted pecan streusel topping on mine or sometime get fancy and do the Martha Stewart recipe with caramelized apples with a touch of brandy. 

And yes, it's for one day, a day of thanksgiving, including being grateful sweet potato casserole exists LOL.

Topic? I freely share my recipes and don't leave out ingredients as I think recipe hoarding or hiding ingredients so a dish cannot be the same as mine is silly. Sorry, Rebecca's mom, Rebecca, and Kate. 

• Love 8
39 minutes ago, smartymarty said:

Sweet potato is sweet enough without adding anything to it.

I like them with butter and salt and pepper. That sweet-salt combo is awesome (like chocolate-covered pretzels...). My aunt made the bourbon-brown sugar sweet potatoes at the holidays and I only had a couple pieces each time because the sweet-on-sweet is too much even for me, but the only other sweet on my plate was cranberry sauce so a little was perfect. (Usually she does a glaze made with orange juice and just sprinkles mini-marshmallows over them, so they're not smothered, but I'm not crazy about the OJ version.)

1 hour ago, txhorns79 said:

I just took it as a way to show the "secret" was continuing to be passed down the line.  I think Rebecca's mother said something similar to her and she said something similar to Kate when she was little.      

That's how I read it. Kate had a little 'conspiratorial' tone to her voice when she said it.

Now I want a flash forward where future Hailey reveals the secret ingredient to the world.

• LOL 9
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, txhorns79 said:

But why did we see Kate saying this to her daughter a couple years later than the present day? I found this weird.

• Love 1

I wonder what would happen if Hailey never has girl children.  Or children, period?  I suppose the recipe will go with her.  Unless she tells Jack.  I forget whether Jack has a son or daughter.  That said, I'm passing down my recipes to my son (I'm one and done).  It's not like my mom or grandmother passed any recipes down.  They don't cook well (apparently my mom didn't know how to boil an egg until she was in her 20s).

Edited by PRgal
  • Love 4
21 minutes ago, himela said:

But why did we see Kate saying this to her daughter a couple years later than the present day? I found this weird.

I don't think it was a couple years later. I just rewatched that scene, as well as one from the cabin that Hailey was in, and it looks to be the same little girl in both.

I'm not sure why they had Kate wait until they were back home to finish writing down the recipe, though. Maybe she has special cards she uses.

• Love 2
57 minutes ago, CountryGirl said:

don't do the marshmallows but I do a really nice brown sugar and toasted pecan streusel topping on mine or sometime get fancy and do the Martha Stewart recipe with caramelized apples with a touch of brandy. 

Ooh that sounds delightful! I found a copycat recipe for Boston Market sweet potato casserole so I use that. Two years ago I made two different recipes the week before thanksgiving so I could be sure it came out right. I used my mom as a Guinea pig 🤣

Topic: I can’t imagine intentionally leaving out an ingredient in a recipe. If you’re going to do that, just don’t give it out at all!

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, SilverLake0315 said:

I don't think it was a couple years later. I just rewatched that scene, as well as one from the cabin that Hailey was in, and it looks to be the same little girl in both.

Yes you are right. I rewatched carefully and Kate even has the same nails but she is wearing summer clothes. I really thought the little girl was a little older than at the Thanksgiving dinner.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, himela said:

I wouldn't read too much into this. It was just to wrap up the theme: mothers and daughters. It ends how it started. Nothing hinting to anything else, no continuity or expectations to what happens in the future. 

• Love 4
48 minutes ago, PRgal said:

I wonder what would happen if Hailey never has girl children.  Or children, period?  I suppose the recipe will go with her.  Unless she tells Jack.  I forget whether Jack has a son or daughter.  That said, I'm passing down my recipes to my son (I'm one and done).  It's not like my mom or grandmother passed any recipes down.  They don't cook well (apparently my mom didn't know how to boil an egg until she was in her 20s).

Every autumn I think about compiling a cookbook of family favorites for my son as a Christmas or birthday gift, then I realize he was aound when I created those recipes and has watched me make them most of his life.

My mother was an awful cook.

• Love 2

Marge Simpson, "The secret ingredient is salt!"

2 hours ago, smartymarty said:

Instead, he roasts cut up sweet potatoes with olive oil.

Yum. After a cooking/baking spree that lasted from Thanksgiving to New Year's Day, we've been trying to simplify things and discovered that almost everything from  cod to zucchini is pretty darn good with olive oil and a little garlic salt.

1 hour ago, CountryGirl said:

I don't do the marshmallows but I do a really nice brown sugar and toasted pecan streusel topping on mine

I must be honest, I had that once when we lived in Georgia and it was to die for.

• Love 6

My GF says the secret ingredient is love (every time I tell her something she made is good, she says it's because it was made with love).

The problem with these multiple timelines is that we already know what's going to happen, e.g., there's no Girl Loses Boy suspense because Rebecca and Miguel end up together.  I realize the show's always been about the journey, but for me it's hard to get more than mildly invested in these characters when for two seasons or more I've known their destinations.

Tobie - I get the concerns, but with due respect to your genes and traumatic childhood, it doesn't have to be either/or. Jack's just a toddler, not Joey Chestnut.  There's plenty of time to instill healthy habits and monitor his calorie consumption.  Lighten up, it's Thanksgiving.

Speaking of which, Kevin's fumbling on the guitar reminded me of one of Adam Sandler's songs.  I kept waiting to hear, "Turkey for me, turkey for you..."

Edited by Lone Wolf
  • LOL 7
  • Love 3

I wanted to reach out to Toby and say "I've seen the future, your kids are good looking and thin and doing well, you are depressed, worry, about you.

I don't think there was a special ingredient,didn't Rebecca help her in the past? Probably was something corny. I did have an aunt that had an Italian anginette cookie recipe. It was good but so was my mom's. At her funeral the priest mentioned how so many loved her cookies but she kept her secret ingredient a secret when giving it out. So odd. Food is to be shared, to be enjoyed, If you aren't selling it, going into business, entering a contest,for Pete's sake,give it out. (or don't without ingredient)No one ever makes a dish the same anyway. We might follow a recipe to the tee, watch Martha on youtube,but our dish looks different.

• Love 9
On 3/8/2022 at 8:50 PM, chocolatine said:

I thought Rebecca's comments about Marguerite - "with such a strong accent, I thought she'd be more worldly" - were uncharacteristically catty for her. I wonder how long her relationship with Matt lasted after Miguel moved to Houston. It was ten years before she and Miguel reunited, so I hope she didn't spend most of that time alone.

We haven't seen Kate in the flash-forward either. Rebecca obviously didn't think it was possible that Kate wouldn't be around to make decisions for her care either, but maybe that's what ends up happening?

Rebecca is way out of Matt’s league.

I suspect we haven’t seen Kate in the flash forwards yet because she will show up in the finale quite a bit thinner.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, CdrJanny said:

Every autumn I think about compiling a cookbook of family favorites for my son as a Christmas or birthday gift, then I realize he was aound when I created those recipes and has watched me make them most of his life.

I'm sure it would still be a beautiful memento for him to have all the recipes in a cookbook.

15 minutes ago, CarpeFelis said:

I suspect we haven’t seen Kate in the flash forwards yet because she will show up in the finale quite a bit thinner.

I've seen recent pictures of Chrissy, and she's the same weight she's been throughout the show, so there's no way Kate will be much thinner in the finale unless they use some CGI trickery, which I'm sure would not go over well with the audience and earn all kinds of criticism.

• Love 12
20 minutes ago, CarpeFelis said:

Rebecca is way out of Matt’s league.

I don’t see how that’s possible since Chrissy Metz isn’t noticeably thinner in real life. I don’t know if CGI can do that (I genuinely don’t - maybe it can).

• Love 1
27 minutes ago, chocolatine said:

I'm sure it would still be a beautiful memento for him to have all the recipes in a cookbook.

I've seen recent pictures of Chrissy, and she's the same weight she's been throughout the show, so there's no way Kate will be much thinner in the finale unless they use some CGI trickery, which I'm sure would not go over well with the audience and earn all kinds of criticism.

She is actually bigger than ever,

• Love 4
3 hours ago, PRgal said:

I'm pretty sure Future Jack and his wife had a girl. They named her Hope? Hailey was there at the hospital with them but we didn't see Toby or Kate in the scene. 

• Love 3
On 3/9/2022 at 6:44 PM, CountryGirl said:

I think that is is code for their deeper relationship issues so it's hard to get that invested and that we do know he turns out just fine in the future as does Deja (for the Deja/Malik angst) does take away from the present-day storylines. Further, we do have more insight than his adult flash-forwards to know about Jack's issues with food, at least as far as weight is concerned. In the S4/E15 episode "Clouds" there are three flash-forwards of a pre-adult Jack, as a toddler, pre-teen, and a teenager and he was thin in all of them. 

It does seem like code for their deeper issues, Toby's comment had a whiff of passive-aggression, like he knew he was going to touch a nerve, especially since he made it in front of everyone. If he'd actually wanted to discuss it, he'd have talked to her privately, I think, this was just a dig. 

He's not wrong to be concerned about their shared history with negative relationships with food and body image, but he could end up sending the kids down a bad path by making too much of a big deal of it too. 

I hear you all saying that Mandy played this really well but to be honest I have a problem connecting with seeing the same actress in 3 different ages. I mean, when I look at 65+ Rebecca all I can think of is "lol you don't look 65, you look like a 40 years old who had a lot to drink and didn't sleep for 3 days". This distracts me from actually feeling the act. I wish they had used another actress for older Rebecca. We would have been used to it by now.

Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I think they do a nice job with Mandy's varying ages. The short sensible haircut and turtlenecks fit my image of what I'd expect Mandy Moore to age into. And then when she goes back to her usual self, it always stuns me how pretty she is. And also reminds me of the crime against eyebrows that was the late 90s when she first came on the scene with the bleached blonde hair and eyebrows plucked to oblivion, she looks infinitely better as a brunette with eyebrows.

Is Elizabeth Perkins still playing Rebecca's mom? Her face is unrecognizable, but the voice sounds the same. 

• Love 5

Is Rebecca supposed to be in her late 60's?  I think she dresses and styles herself like a senior from another decade.  Maybe in the 1970's and 80's, seniors dressed like Rebecca, but in the 2020's, seniors wear jeans, pants, tops and hoodies like everyone else.  The dowdy skirts they put in her are the worst.

• Love 11
4 hours ago, CdrJanny said:

My mother was an awful cook.

As someone who has spent an inordinate amount of time trying to recreate beloved family recipes, I recommend: write them down NOW (sorry to yell). He may have watched you, but some day he’ll be muttering “was it shortening? Or lard? Or butter? Bacon or pancetta or guanciale? Vanilla, or brandy or rum? ” (I’m thinking the secret ingredient to the sugar pie was one of the latter).   Write it down, even if the instruction is to add x “until it smells or looks right”.  May he bless your memory regardless but writing down the recipes will help. 

• Love 8
5 minutes ago, izabella said:

Is Rebecca supposed to be in her late 60's?  I think she dresses and styles herself like a senior from another decade.  Maybe in the 1970's and 80's, seniors dressed like Rebecca, but in the 2020's, seniors wear jeans, pants, tops and hoodies like everyone else.  The dowdy skirts they put in her are the worst.

I think Rebecca is 70?  Maybe 71? My mom is 74 and she DOES NOT wear hoodies.  I don’t think she’d be caught dead in one.  Pants and tops, mostly.  And zippy vests.  

• Love 2
14 hours ago, himela said:

A mother - daughter relationship is very complicated and it is not limited to 4-5 occasions. Every woman who has a living relationship with her mother knows that there are moments of love and hate, of fights, of absolute destruction, but this doesn't mean that in the end they don't adore and forgive each other.

You wouldn’t know that the way this show has portrayed their relationship over the years. 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, izabella said:

Rebecca was born in 1950, so she is now 71 or 72.

• Love 3

I'm 68 and wear shorts, t-shirts, polo shirts, and jeans, mostly.  I own 2 dresses,  2 skirts, some slacks that can be dressy, and some silk shells.  That's all I need.  

I do need to buy a couple of pairs of Skechers before my cruise, because I've worn holes in the toes of my current pairs.

• Love 7

Some women prefer skirts.  I've been wearing them regularly since I started Catholic school in 1986.  Skirts and dresses are just as comfortable as pants and for some of us more comfortable than pants.  I can buy Rebecca being this type of woman.   We have seen her in skirts and dresses in all decades of her life.

• Love 4

Wow, no matter how much they put her in old lady fuddy duddy clothes that might not be realistic for today’s women of that age, I just don’t see see her as 71 or 72. Not even close. In those scenes I think 60ish at most. 

• Love 4

Flash forward  - Rebecca is in her deathbed, breathing faintly.  She motions to Kate to come over, saying "I always wanted to tell you the secret ingredient to the pie."  Kate smiles broadly, and replies, "Oh, thank you so very much, Mom."  She leans closer and puts her ear to Rebecca's face.  "It's, it's...(Rebecca's voice wavers...) Rosebud."  She dies.  Kate looks up at everyone else and says "What the hell is Rosebud?"

• LOL 15

I continue to be so impressed with Mandy Moore.  She’s so effortless and real in every time period.  I thought it was weird that she and her mom went from one extreme to the other in one afternoon, but I guess that was just to emphasize how complicated mother/daughter relationships can be. I’m not surprised she chose Kate to make her care decisions. Kate is the only girl and I think it would cause tension if Rebecca picked one boy over the other. 

Kevin is my fave out of the Big Three, but he really was a dick to Miguel saying that Miguel wanted the guest house for his fishing buddies.  After all these years, doesn’t he know Miguel better than that? But I’m usual Kevin fashion, he brought it back around by including Miguel in the construction decisions and having a nice moment with him.  I just love Miguel.

The slow dissolution of Kate and Toby’s marriage feels very real as well.  They both make good points and neither is overtly wrong or right.  It’s very grey, as are most things in life.

I’m sorry but the pie looked gross and so did the sweet potatoes. Like teen Kate was just throwing butter slices into the pie crust. Yuck. 

Edited by mostlylurking
  • Love 10
On 3/9/2022 at 9:54 AM, Ohiopirate02 said:

As I have said in other posts here, I have spent time reading up on fat activism.  They would agree that this pediatrician gave horrible advice.  So would most parents who raised picky eaters.  Just because someone went to medical school, does not mean then cannot be wrong.  

Why is it horrible advice?  Not being snarky just genuinely wondering. In my house I make one balanced and healthy(ish) meal for the family. Obviously I can’t make her eat, but I offer my kid the meal with the rest of the fam and it’s her choice if she wants to eat it or not. I’m not making two or three meals to satisfy everyone. Some things she loves, some things not so much. Such is life.

On 3/9/2022 at 10:01 AM, Haleth said:

Hailey doesn’t share their genes. Certainly they are concerned with what she eats but not as a hereditary issue. 

I’m not sure that beyond the parents, there’s really a generational obesity issue here. Kate was a chubby kid but not abnormally so, and no one in Rebecca or Jack’s fam seemed to have weight issues. She started gaining weight because she started eating a shit ton of food as a coping mechanism, understandable but not necessarily genetics related.  We don’t know too much about Toby’s family but I remember seeing his dad in one episode and he wasn’t heavy either.  

• Love 14
On 3/9/2022 at 8:53 AM, ItCouldBeWorse said:

Every kid I knew who was completely denied junk food at home would go crazy at parties and play dates.  The best way to prevent that is to have limited access at certain special times, such as holidays and birthdays.  Even a treat every weekend is not going to make a child overweight if the rest of the diet is healthy.

Same goes for alcohol. I knew many people in my twenties who grew up in very strict no alcohol households went completely off the rails once they were out on their own. They would go out with the express intention of getting drunk. In my household moderate alcohol was allowed, and it was never a big deal. Not saying I never got shnockered but I can say I never went out with that specific goal. 

• Love 6
3 hours ago, mostlylurking said:

Kevin is my fave out of the Big Three, but he really was a dick to Miguel saying that Miguel wanted the guest house for his fishing buddies.  After all these years, doesn’t he know Miguel better than that?

I thought the same thing - seemed uncharacteristic of him, but I chalked it up to the writers needing another incident to contribute to how inevitably disastrous Pearson Thanksgivings become. 

And apparently are overcome after a Pearson Monologue ™® or two.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

I recommend doing a family recipe book. My daughter organized ours. Through the magic of technology she was able to include recipes written in my grandmother's handwriting. But the best part of the book is the stories that people included about the recipes and the occasions and traditions. We are a funny group so YMMV, but we all treasure our copies.

• Love 11
1 hour ago, mostlylurking said:

Why is it horrible advice?  Not being snarky just genuinely wondering. In my house I make one balanced and healthy(ish) meal for the family. Obviously I can’t make her eat, but I offer my kid the meal with the rest of the fam and it’s her choice if she wants to eat it or not. I’m not making two or three meals to satisfy everyone. Some things she loves, some things not so much. Such is life.

A lot of this has to do with your tone when you tell your kid, "this is what's for dinner take it or leave it."  Is it gentle or is this an order.  Barking orders at the dinner table is a surefire way to cause an unhealthy relationship with food for your child.  Same goes for forcing your kid to eat everything on their plate.   I absolutely hate fish.  I grew up Catholic where we don't ear meat on Fridays during Lent.  I spent years choking down fish until I was deemed old enough to make myself a grilled cheese. 

There are a myriad of reasons why people are picky eaters from ASD to AFRID. It's not always the kid being a brat. A good pediatrician can help parents with this.  

Edited by Ohiopirate02
  • Love 5
27 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

A lot of this has to do with your tone when you tell your kid, "this is what's for dinner take it or leave it."  Is it gentle or is this an order.  Barking orders at the dinner table is a surefire way to cause an unhealthy relationship with food for your child.  Same goes for forcing your kid to eat everything on their plate.   I absolutely hate fish.  I grew up Catholic where we don't ear meat on Fridays during Lent.  I spent years choking down fish until I was deemed old enough to make myself a grilled cheese. 

There are a myriad of reasons why people are picky eaters from ASD to AFRID. It's not always the kid being a brat. A good pediatrician can help parents with this.  

I think it depends on the type of pickiness. If the kid absolutely won't eat one type of vegetable or protein they should be able to pick the ones they do like, and the parents should accommodate that. But if the kid says no to a healthy home-cooked meal because they'd rather have McDonald's, then the parents need to put their foot down.

• Love 10
6 minutes ago, chocolatine said:

I think it depends on the type of pickiness. If the kid absolutely won't eat one type of vegetable or protein they should be able to pick the ones they do like, and the parents should accommodate that. But if the kid says no to a healthy home-cooked meal because they'd rather have McDonald's, then the parents need to put their foot down.

We really need to separate picky eating from being a brat.  In your scenario,  the kid is being a brat.  That's a behavioral issue that as a parent you need to address.  If your kid hates peas and you have another vegetable in your fridge, then why not give them something they will eat.  Or better yet, stop buying, cooking, and serving peas when you know your kid hates them???? Sorry, I got a bit off track there.  

• Love 2
18 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

We really need to separate picky eating from being a brat.  In your scenario,  the kid is being a brat.  That's a behavioral issue that as a parent you need to address.  If your kid hates peas and you have another vegetable in your fridge, then why not give them something they will eat.  Or better yet, stop buying, cooking, and serving peas when you know your kid hates them???? Sorry, I got a bit off track there.  

Yes, but there are so many parents who feed their kids junk because the kids are "picky eaters" and it's easier to take them to the drive-thru than to insist that the kids try a variety of vegetables and figure out which ones they like. If you give a kid completely free rein over what they eat, most of them will choose poorly. Parents need to impose a structure and set rules. 

• Love 6
On 3/10/2022 at 4:38 AM, himela said:

Regarding the last scene where Kate tells her daughter she will tell her the secret ingredient some day, I think it is a sign that she won't because she won't be there. Why else did they make this scene? And it was also the last scene of the episode that always means something. Anyone else saw it this way as well?

And she also appeared to write the ingredient down after telling her that - something none of the previous generations seem to have done.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2