Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E07: Taboo

• Start Topic

“Every year with this family, I swear…” Truer words were never spoke, Beth.

LOL at Randall singing “You Can Call Me Al” in the car.

Teen Kevin came take several seats. Rebecca and Miguel didn’t do anything wrong. But at least it got a nice moment of Teen Kate comforting her.

Present Kate, on the other hand, continues to annoy me. So it’s okay for her her to criticize Toby’s parenting, but gets bent out of shape when she feels like he’s criticizing her parenting? Ugh. I’m all for body positivity, but wanting your kids to eat healthy shouldn’t be construed as fat shaming.

I would like some of that sugar pie though.

• Love 22

OMG....Mandy Moore as Rebecca is making me cry :(  And the reactions of the kids in each of the time periods is great.  Kevin was so terrible to Miguel, but at the end, he realized that Miguel loves his Mom & is taking good care of her.  I think Randall & Kevin were very surprised that Rebecca chose Kate to be the one to care for her, if Miguel would pre-decease her.

• Love 17

Kevin was nasty and it was hard to listen because you knew what was going to happen and Miguel would leave. That is why later when they are together again  and cuddling and he walks in, as an adult, he tells them they don’t have to move apart which I thought was odd. I suppose he was thinking back to his attitude then.

Mandy was great. She made this episode A+. I still think the angst with Kevin and kids falls flat with me. It’s dragging on way too long, no communication. He is a child at 40.  Another few shows of flashbacks we’ve seen but I hope more tie ins to now.  

• Love 9
4 minutes ago, BuckeyeLou said:

OMG....Mandy Moore as Rebecca is making me cry :(  And the reactions of the kids in each of the time periods is great.  Kevin was so terrible to Miguel, but at the end, he realized that Miguel loves his Mom & is taking good care of her.  I think Randall & Kevin were very surprised that Rebecca chose Kate to be the one to care for her, if Miguel would pre-decease her.

I thought Miguel was out of line with the way he approached Kevin.  Kevin misinterpreted Miguel's request for a guesthouse because Miguel buried the lede.

• Love 7
1 minute ago, Clawdette said:

"I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I’ve been sent to confiscate your phone." 

I was waiting for the girls to call him out after he told them to put their phones away.

Deja hasn't even run off to Boston yet and there's already trouble in paradise?

• Love 16
(edited)
On 3/8/2022 at 10:14 PM, ams1001 said:

Deja hasn't even run off to Boston yet and there's already trouble in paradise?

Perhaps Randall's talk with Malik has had the desired effect.  Deja will be furious if she finds out, as Beth warned him.

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Love 11
2 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I thought Miguel was out of line with the way he approached Kevin.  Kevin misinterpreted Miguel's request for a guesthouse because Miguel buried the lede.

He should have just waited to ask about it until after Rebecca had her talk. It's not like the house was going to be built by dinner.

Glad Rebecca made her wishes clear as to who makes decisions when she can't, and who makes them if that person can't. Not that they shouldn't discuss things but I can see Randall steamrolling Kate and Kevin because of course he always knows best. At least Kate has Rebecca's clearly stated wishes to back her up. I have a feeling Miguel will be gone by the flash forward and Kate will, indeed, have to make some hard decisions.

• Love 17

I thought it was smart of Rebecca to be very clear about who was to be in charge of her medical decisions. It was also smart to make Kate the back up. You know Kevin and Randall wouldn't be mature enough to let the other make decisions without arguments so picking Kate just shuts that brotherly infighting down right off the bat. That whole speech was good and I like that the Big 3 listened and accepted it. "Yes, ma'am."

I think Teen Kevin was completely wrong. If Jack had any say in the matter, I think he would be thrilled that Rebecca moved on with Miguel. Jack knows that Miguel is a stand up guy and would treat Rebecca right. Too bad that Miguel felt the same way at first and he and Rebecca lost so many years they could have been happy together. At least they got together in the end! Nice of adult Kevin to include Miguel in the construction plans at the end there.

I'm totally on Kate's side with regards to food. Obviously, you can't let kids go crazy with sugar and junk food but being overly controlling is actually completely counter-productive. There's nothing wrong with treats here and there, like licking the spoon and marshmallows on Thanksgiving for crying out loud! BTW, those sweet potatoes looked gross. The casseroles I've usually eaten have the sweet potatoes nice and mashed up rather than cut into cubes.

Kate and Toby and their marital bickering was obnoxious. They really can't keep it in check for a day? Also, Kevin annoyed me as well the way he was butting in and telling Toby to take off the hat. I guess he wants to protect his sister but shoot, let them work it out themselves. I wonder if Rebecca's speech about taking risks is in Kate's mind when she divorces Toby, ha.

Randall's a hypocrite telling the girls no phones and then being on his own phone all day. I know he was taking family videos but he was really over the top with it. Totally agree with everyone that it should be confiscated.

I knew Rebecca and Kate would get the secret ingredient but the audience wouldn't. After seeing those sweet potatoes, I'm not sure I want to know though.

• LOL 2
  • Love 17
(edited)

Combining the fact that we haven't seen Miguel in the flash-forward episodes, and Rebecca designating Kate as her back-up decision maker, do you think we will get to see Kate make the tough decisions?

Also, Kevin showed everyone where their future wings would be in the new house, but didn't point out his own!

Finally, Randall was telling Beth about how unhappy he was that Rebecca was on the opposite coast, but won't she be much closer to his family than to Kevin's and Kate's once the new house is ready and she and Miguel move in? (Although I get that it will take a while to build the house.)

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Love 7
14 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

I get Kate’s point, I really do. But Toby was also right when he pointed out that she was treating him like an absentee dad who doesn’t get a say in how their kids should be raised. She isn’t the only one that’s had weight issues, but instead of just sitting down to discuss it so that they’re on the same page, she’s just gone ahead and taken charge. Just a few episodes ago she was bitching him out for not putting Jack down on a nap when he was supposed to, and now when he’s trying to make more of an effort, he’s not doing that right either.

I think the show is doing a good job showing the breakdown of Kate and Toby.  They both have good points and they both are responsible for the breakdowns in communication.  Yes Kate does steamroll over Toby, but Toby thinks those months he was a STAD are the same as what Kate is doing when he is away.  Neither one is doing anything to rectify their living situation either.   The path they are on is unsustainable.   

• Love 18
(edited)

Great show all around. It appears that the child playing Jack is vision impaired so I want to say bravo, show. That’s meaningful to families of children with special needs. I loved Kevin manning up with Miguel at the end. 

Edited by Quickbeam
Punctuation
  • Love 21

Mandy Moore really brought it home with the meeting. Of course, did the keep the promises? Who knows? The only weird part was how fast Rebecca forgave her mother and said she was her best friend and such. It was a total 180 considering how much a pain in the ass her mother was. Looking forward to see how this plays out. I’m already missing it. 

• Love 11

So many great moments in this one!  I laughed so hard when Rebecca and her mom got upset with Jack for telling Rebecca about the move.  When did Jack and her dad become so chummy?

The Taboo game was also awesome, and I was heartbroken when Kevin chased Miguel away.  

I will admit that I saw the plate and thought Kate gave Jack more marshmallow than sweet potato on that bite.  I wasn’t bothered that Toby scraped it off; you don’t miss what you haven’t tasted.  I am tired of Kate and Toby and their woes, though, and telling me she’s upset that he doesn’t shop with them when he has offered to go on the weekends and she refused doesn’t make me Team Kate.

Beth was all kinds of awesome here.  I’m glad to see Miguel getting the respect finally from the three.

• Love 17
4 minutes ago, Quickbeam said:

Great show all around. It appears that the child playing Jack is vision impaired so I want to say bravo, show. That’s meaningful to families of children with special needs. I loved Kevin manning up with Miguel at the end. 

I just did a little googling, and apparently the boy who plays toddler Jack has albinism and low vision (which often go together). (The twins who played him as an infant (who are actually a boy and girl) were not visually impaired).

• Useful 11
  • Love 2
5 minutes ago, Crs97 said:

I will admit that I saw the plate and thought Kate gave Jack more marshmallow than sweet potato on that bite.  I wasn’t bothered that Toby scraped it off; you don’t miss what you haven’t tasted.  I am tired of Kate and Toby and their woes, though, and telling me she’s upset that he doesn’t shop with them when he has offered to go on the weekends and she refused doesn’t make me Team Kate.

Kate is upset that Toby doesn't trust her.  Because, yet again,  they are not communicating.   This is an issue that they should have discussed already.   Both of them want to make sure Jack grows up at a normal weight with little issues with food.  They just have different approaches based on their personal experiences, and never talked about it.  

• Love 9

Great episode!  I hope Rebecca is putting her wishes in writing (power of attorney), otherwise Randall and Kevin will try to fight Miguel or Kate on decisions about her care.

• Love 13

Teenage Randall is the worst, with Miguel's terrible 90s wig coming in a close second.  Maybe teenage Kate would have been more open to your suggestions if you didn't gawk over her appearance and act like you were her dad.

14 minutes ago, ByaNose said:

The only weird part was how fast Rebecca forgave her mother and said she was her best friend and such. It was a total 180 considering how much a pain in the ass her mother was.

I did think that whole thing ended weirdly.  I thought it would end with things a little more balanced, not with Rebecca acting like she and her mom were best friends.  I mean we've already seen in the future things become very strained between the two of them, so I thought we might see hints of that. 

14 minutes ago, Crs97 said:

I will admit that I saw the plate and thought Kate gave Jack more marshmallow than sweet potato on that bite.  I wasn’t bothered that Toby scraped it off; you don’t miss what you haven’t tasted.

I think Kate was having flashbacks to all the times someone in her life decided for her that she did not "need" to eat something.  It's those moments where your skinnier sibling gets a Coke and you are given a Diet Coke (my memory, not a This is Us moment), or Kate avoids eating sweet potatoes because Randall is looking at her during dinner like she is a human dump truck.  That kind of behavior hurt her growing up, and she saw it repeating itself with Jack and Toby.

• Love 21

Best episode of the season and one of the best out of all the seasons. I liked the stories in all three timelines. 

I never thought Kate and Toby's relationship was on solid ground even when they were happy. Add in a long distance relationship and two little kids and it's easy to see why they implode. I have no clue how they are going to sell Kate and British guy in ten episodes though.

Rebecca giving the clues to Miguel while her date grew more and more uncomfortable was a good scene. While I can see how Miguel and Rebecca could be weird to her kids, teen Kevin was terrible to Miguel. I liked that Keven asked Miguel to look over the plans with him at the end. 

Rebecca stating her wishes was a good scene. I think Kate's going to have to make the hard decisions in the future.

Teen Randall was terrible too, staring at Kate throughout dinner. She gained weight. Maybe broach the subject gently later instead of gawking at her. 

• Love 18
3 minutes ago, camom said:

Great episode!  I hope Rebecca is putting her wishes in writing (power of attorney), otherwise Randall and Kevin will try to fight Miguel or Kate on decisions about her care.

Nah, both Kevin and Randall respect Kate enough that they won't fight her.  That doesn't mean Randall won't be offering Kate his opinion on all matters though.   He will back off once Kate firmly tells him no.

• Love 6

Kevin obviously didn't inherit Rebecca's musicality. He was so obnoxious with his guitar.

I thought Rebecca's comments about Marguerite - "with such a strong accent, I thought she'd be more worldly" - were uncharacteristically catty for her. I wonder how long her relationship with Matt lasted after Miguel moved to Houston. It was ten years before she and Miguel reunited, so I hope she didn't spend most of that time alone.

1 hour ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

Combining the fact that we haven't seen Miguel in the flash-forward episodes, and Rebecca designating Kate as her back-up decision maker, do you think we will get to see Kate make the tough decisions?

We haven't seen Kate in the flash-forward either. Rebecca obviously didn't think it was possible that Kate wouldn't be around to make decisions for her care either, but maybe that's what ends up happening?

• Love 7
3 minutes ago, chocolatine said:

I wonder how long her relationship with Matt lasted after Miguel moved to Houston. It was ten years before she and Miguel reunited, so I hope she didn't spend most of that time alone.

I think Matt realized that he couldn't compete with Miguel.  Note that Miguel stayed to help with the cleanup, and Matt didn't.  If he had thought he had a serious chance with Rebecca, he would have insisted on staying, too.

• Useful 5
  • Love 10
3 minutes ago, chocolatine said:

We haven't seen Kate in the flash-forward either. Rebecca obviously didn't think it was possible that Kate wouldn't be around to make decisions for her care either, but maybe that's what ends up happening?

I wondered about this to.  Clearly this is a case of where the backup plan needed a backup plan.  

Rebecca picking Kate had to at least partially be based on how Kevin & Randall acted when they were trying to decide the best course of treatment for Rebecca a while back. 

• Love 15
1 hour ago, LexieLily said:

"Lovely people. Cried a lot. Dramatic-as-hell Thanksgivings."

…and Tuesdays, and Wednesdays, and Saturdays…

I certainly hope the secret ingredient in that pie is a defibrillator. Good god, those ingredients.

• LOL 19

Chrissy looked really lovely in this episode. Love the straight sleek hair look, and her dress was very pretty.  

When did Jack & Rebecca’s dad become pals?

Teen Randall & teen Kevin sure were jackasses this week. 

Toby needs to lighten up & let Jack enjoy Thanksgiving treats. Yes, he & Kate’s genetics may predispose Jack to have weight issues, but restrictions, deeming foods ‘good or bad’, and making a huge deal about it can lead to disordered thoughts about food & eating. 

• Love 12

This was a good episode, but a few things:
1. Toby and Kate need to... communi....kate (ha ha ha see what I did there)
2. I was totally expecting someone to, at minimum, yell at Kevin to stop (My top candidate was Toby)
3. I am surprised that Rebecca didn't spell out the order for her medical proxy - since they would want to know, and Kate is most likely out of the Big Three to have medical issues with her weight
4. tbh I was half expecting the flashback to end with Miguel giving Marguerite some money while they were walking away from their date
5. I am shocked that they didn't go with the obvious name for this episode: Mothers and Daughters (I would not be surprised to learn if that was a proposed title for the episode), since that fit the theme of this episode perfectly. Until I read a comment here (That the game they were playing was called Taboo), I was thinking it was named after the discussion - since they were talking about death/Rebecca's final wishes, which is taboo.
6. "I don't think She's All That is the piece of cinematic history you think it is" made me laugh - but he should recognize the song Kiss Me!

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Bulldog said:

Rebecca picking Kate had to at least partially be based on how Kevin & Randall acted when they were trying to decide the best course of treatment for Rebecca a while back. 

I just had a thought about that. Remember how in the ten-year flash-forward on Rebecca's deathbed where we finally saw Kevin and Randall together at the cabin and they were friendly/happy to see each other, and we all let out our collective breath that Kevin/Randall had obviously made up from that big fight they had? What if that wasn't the fight they were making up from? What if they get into it again, even worse this time, when it comes to the point where they have to make care decisions for Rebecca and Miguel, then Kate, get the final call? 

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
15 minutes ago, bros402 said:

I am shocked that they didn't go with the obvious name for this episode: Mothers and Daughters (I would not be surprised to learn if that was a proposed title for the episode), since that fit the theme of this episode perfectly. Until I read a comment here (That the game they were playing was called Taboo), I was thinking it was named after the discussion - since they were talking about death/Rebecca's final wishes, which is taboo.

Besides the obvious game, I though the title was also a comment about how in the middle time period, a relationship between Rebecca and Miguel (although they both might have wanted it), was clearly taboo.

• Useful 8
  • Love 7
26 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

I just had a thought about that. Remember how in the ten-year flash-forward on Rebecca's deathbed where we finally saw Kevin and Randall together at the cabin and they were friendly/happy to see each other, and we all let out our collective breath that Kevin/Randall had obviously made up from that big fight they had? What if that wasn't the fight they were making up from? What if they get into it again, even worse this time, when it comes to the point where they have to make care decisions for Rebecca and Miguel, then Kate, get the final call? 

How do you know they were making up from a fight in the flash-forward?

3 hours ago, DoubleUTeeEff said:

I thought it was smart of Rebecca to be very clear about who was to be in charge of her medical decisions. It was also smart to make Kate the back up.

I could not believe she chose Kate.  First, Kate is whiny and entitled and not good in a crisis.,And frankly, with Kate's weight, Miguel could easily outlive her.

• Love 5

Any parent who can surreptitiously keep their child from eating sweet potatoes with sugar and  marshmallows is a hero in my book.  It's not as though Jack knew he was "missing out" on anything, unlike Kate with the smaller piece of pie.

• Love 5
7 minutes ago, 30 Helens said:

True, but let’s face it, they’re all pretty much a mess. Randall would probably have a panic attack if his shoe came untied. Kevin gets distracted by shiny objects, and also tends to run at the first sign of trouble. I think I’d choose Beth. Maybe Madison. But I guess Rebecca is kind of maternally required to pick one of her dumpster fire kids, and of the three Kate is probably the most stable. (Again, it’s a low bar.)

I know Kevin and Kate like Beth but they would not be happy if one of the in-laws/Not Pearsons were chosen over them. Randall would love it because it would indirectly be Rebecca choosing him.

• Love 9