Type keyword(s) to search

S19.E14: Finale

• Start Topic

Shantall wins. Good thing Christian saved her. Not sure I liked the snake pattern but I liked everything. Nothing was too glitzy or crazy, it was wearable and elegant.

I liked Corals the best but I knew she wouldn’t win when Tommy questioned how many macramé dresses would people actually wear. Plus how would you mass produce those. 
He was also right about Chasity’s designs being right for celebrities like Beyoncé and Rhiannon. So basically not every day people. 
A lot of Kristina’s stuff was too see through and flowery patterned. Not impressive. 
This was not my favorite season but I liked that it was an all female finale at least. 

• Love 17

I'm happy for Shantall and really liked her collection (especially the black dress with the black and white coat), but I liked Coral's the best.  I thought she might take the whole thing for awhile.  The dress at the end and the white suit with embroidery were stunning.  Also, Coral's son is a total cutie. 

Except for one look, I didn't like Christina's collection at all.  The two looks with the bloodstained looking prints would have been so much better with a different fabric or print.  Maybe those looks came across different in person?  Who knows.  I just don't get her aesthetic, I guess, though I liked the outfit she was wearing.  Chasity's was OK and yes, I can see famous women entertainers wearing her dresses for performances.  Her daughters and fiance were adorable.

It was nice to have Tommy Hilfiger there in place of Elaine.  I'd love it if show would replace her with a designer like Brandon, as she doesn't add anything to the judging and oftentimes doesn't make sense.  TH joking that writing a $1 million dollar check might bounce this week was kind of weird because $1 million is pocket change to someone like him.

I'll miss having PR to watch every week.  I wonder if there's an All Stars in the works?

• Love 21

I was waiting to hear "Chas...," but then Nina went "Shan....tall"! 

Project Runway justice, y'all.

Tommy H. pretty much came right out and said "Costumes!" about Chasity's (hideous) collection that Cher would have refused 40 years ago.

Coral's line was okay.  

Kristina's collection was pretty. The blue outfit on the hoverboard was truly avant-garde.

• Love 23

I don’t get Chasity’s taste level at all. So much sparkles and ruffles and bling. Tommy Hilfiger was right that those are costumes to be worn on stage during a performance, not as actual clothing.

Coral was my favorite, her looks were all so well tailored and expensive looking and her final look with the colorful jacket was stunning

I really liked Christina’s as well, the prints were gorgeous. Hilfiger’s complaint that you can’t do the same prints for another season made no sense. So no one can ever do prints? You do different prints next time, or solid colors, or something else…

Maybe it didn’t translate as well on TV compared to in person but I wasn’t that impressed with Chantall. Her looks all seemed too big and messy-looking. The earrings were stupid. I kept thinking they looking like a black bar put over something to censor it and I don’t think that’s the feeling she was going for.  I couldn’t see what was so great and impressive about the snake pattern, except for the black and white one which was gorgeous. 

I had no memory of Zayden even being on this season! Lol that’s what you get when you show up looking like that. 

Edited by Cotypubby
  • Love 18

Well i agree with the majority here in that Coral’s collection was my favorite! 
Chantal’s collection was more middle of the road to me so yes maybe more sellable, but that is not the criteria I would rely on to pick the winner of this show.I would have put her third behind Coral and Christina. (Sorry Chasity!)

• Love 11

I am happy.  If it couldn't be Prajje, it had to be Shantell.

I liked all of her looks.

Chasity.  Sigh.  I didn't like ANYTHING until the last two looks.  Those enormous carwash pants.  Good lord, no.

I was happy to see Bones in the audience, and Coco Rocha's amazing bone structure from so far away!  Love seeing Anna and all my other PR favourites.

I know that Shantell's entire collection was like, Robert Palmer 80's Bad Bitch, but I absolutely loved it, not kidding, just loved it.  I guess that's my aesthetic!

They edited the end really emotionally, LOL with Shantell's big speech about how she made it and other women can too!

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 16

My thoughts on the collections from favorite to least favorite:

Coral-- Her collection was pretty great. I love, love, loved her zippered outfits. They were beautifully tailored and I would totally wear something like that. I rewound and watched her runway again. But I know I'm not the demographic they were looking for.

Shantall-- Some of the pieces were great (the dress everyone swooned for, and the pant suit), and DD WORKED the runway. Didn't hate anything, except for the boxy, heavy looking dress she took out and wore herself. 

Christina-- I think my favorite outfit was her first one, and I hated it until she finally listened to Christian, and made a bra. The pink print with black spots made me think pink 101 Dalmations, and her model looked so baggy in it. I couldn't with the period prints, or celery print, either.

Chasity-- Those outfits would be perfect in a Copacabana musical starring a knock off Cher. That is the only place I can see that working.

Oh, I forgot to say, I think that 3 of them all got someone saying that they should win, while Chantall got Coco Rocha saying she saw her POV as a designer. Maybe they couldn't even find anyone in there that thought she should win?

Edited by estellasmum
  • Love 8
49 minutes ago, estellasmum said:

Chantall-- Those outfits would be perfect in a Copacabana musical starring a knock off Cher. That is the only place I can see that working.

Yeah, Chasity's been doing Bob Mackie all season.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 9
  • Love 11

I loved Coral’s designs.  So beautiful.   As for the macrame dresses those would have to be simplified or toned down for mass production but aren’t runway pieces always more intricate than what goes in stores?  Runway clothes are hand beaded, hand sewn, perfected.  

I liked Chantal’s. a couple of the boxy dresses reminded me of Vince dresses from about 5 or 6 seasons back.  

• Love 15

And just when I thought Elaine made the most ridiculous comments, here comes Tommy Hilfiger. So the prints won’t appeal to the widest array of Macy’s customers? Another design won’t be relevant 5 years from now? A person won’t want to buy more than one look from this collection? WHO CARES? This is fashion. It’s about looking good, being interesting in the moment, and demonstrating a unique point of view. The show is Project Runway, not Project J.C. Penney.

I wasn’t crazy about any of the collections. Shantall’s was too 1960’s mod. (And way to overreact to Christian’s critique of the one yellow dress— just make everything gray instead!) Chasity’s fluffy tulle pants reminded me of some traditional musician costume that I can’t remember right now, but I think I saw Ricky Ricardo wear them once.

With the thigh-level red blooms on white fabric, Kristina’s models all looked like they got a surprise period. (Except for the pink dress with brown spots, which looked like my dog jumped up for a hug after playing outside in the mud.) Coral did her Coral thing. The macrame was a little more understated this time, which I appreciated.

I did enjoy the one model’s attitude about going down the runway nude: “I don’t mind. I’m French.” Ha.

I also appreciated that at least 2 designers had a plus size model (by choice!) and gave her something sexy to wear.

All in all, an underwhelming finish to what was, for the most part, a pretty good season.  Looking forward to Top Chef next week. (Can Christian come and mentor the chefs, too?)

• LOL 4
  • Love 19
6 minutes ago, LennieBriscoe said:

Original post by estellasmum meant Chasity, not "Chantal."

Again, mistakenly quoting myself. WHY is the "edit" symbol right next to the "quote" one?!

Anyway, since it's the end, FTR the Finalists' names are spelled:

Shantall.

Coral.

Kristina.

Chasity. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 5

Yay! I wanted Shantall to win. I was sure Nina was saying Chasity and actually clapped and scared my cat when it was Shantall's name instead. I didn't love everything she sent down the runway, but I really appreciated the work that went into it and was happy when Tommy Hilfiger pointed out how difficult it is to manipulate fabric like she did.

I'm in the minority and haven't like Coral's stuff all season. I got very tired of the macramé after the first couple pieces. I did like the embroidered jacket with the head piece. I had a jacket with the same style of traditional mexican embroidery in the late 70's that I wore until it was tattered. I got it at a tiny mexican store in Seattle and it was horribly expensive at $20😂

Chasity does make pretty performance wear and I bet she makes lovely wedding gowns, too. While they were in the work room, I was completely distracted by her new nearly floor length hair and was worried she was going to trip over it or that it would snag a dress form and knock it over.

I think Kristina is a lovely person, but I don't get her aesthetic at all. I loved Christian's reaction to her bare bedroom and the celery juice!

Didn't miss Elaine one bit and am really hoping she won't be there next season. 

• Love 13

The judging on the runway is always so weird because this show never seems to know if it wants high fashion editorial fantasy or does it want ready to wear. Often times, real designers have a more ornate runway and then a more down to Earth ready to wear stuff.

A lot of Shantall's collection seemed like a more upscale Chico's. Also "person who came in first runner-up position ten years ago on another iteration of this show" just doesn't feel like this big win to me.

Do the designers have a hand in choosing  music? I know in previous years they did. I thought Coral had the best music choice to start slow and then get into a slightly faster tempo, it gave the runway show some levels.

• Love 11

I'm glad Shantall won.  Her collection looked expensive, and the finishings were impeccable. It was chic, wearable, and had a clear point of view.

Coral's collection was surprisingly good, and I would have been fine with her winning, but it didn't feel as consistent as Shantall's, and some pieces bordered on costumes to me. Also, I found her to be completely forgettable all season.

Which brings us to Chastity- ugh- pure costume, completely unoriginal, and overdone. I'm shocked she didn't win because I truly believed the fix was in.

Kristina's collection was not at all what I expected, and I was pleasantly surprised by most of it. Or at least I was until I watched the After Show video, where she came off as bitter and completely unlikable.

Generally speaking I would be annoyed that a contestant that was saved got the win, but Kristina completely did Shantall dirty the week that the were paired and Shantall was eliminated because Kristina had immunity.

Edited by rlc
  • Love 19

If I picked the collection that had the two single outfits I loved best, it would be Shantall's (the black and white ones).

If I picked the collection that had the highest overall number of outfits I liked vs. disliked, it would be Kristina's.  I was quite surprised by her collection and I really like the prints.  

I like quite a few of Coral's too.  I would have been fine with any of the three winning.

I hated everything in Chasity's except the one blue/purple top and pants that had nothing to do with the rest of the collection.  I suppose celebrities could wear her stuff on stage, but even for that, it wasn't very attractive.  Just tacky and dated, IMO.  The finale dress didn't even make an impact because of all the ruffles coming down the runway before it.

If you have to state yourself how important to the industry you are, then you are not.  TH's tunnel vision judging even made me miss Elaine.

Edited by backgroundnoise
  • Love 10
11 hours ago, LennieBriscoe said:

I was waiting to hear "Chas...," but then Nina went "Shan....tall"! 

Project Runway justice, y'all.

Tommy H. pretty much came right out and said "Costumes!" about Chasity's (hideous) collection that Cher would have refused 40 years ago.

Coral's line was okay.  

Kristina's collection was pretty. The blue outfit on the hoverboard was truly avant-garde.

I was watching Olympic figure skating so missed the first 80 minutes,  so I didn't see Kristina's collection on the runway.  I liked most of Corals and pretty much all of Shantals,  I thought Chasitys was way too costumy and unflattering.   I would give Shantal the win due to the wearabilty of the clothes, I think Tommy Hilfinger added a smart point of view that made it obvious who the winner should be.   I was sure that they would give it Chasity and I think they would have it if Elaine was judging.  

• Useful 2
  • Love 6
7 hours ago, Andyourlittledog2 said:

If I hear any more brave little toaster that could stories... Journeys. Powerful women. People who look like me. I get it. I don't disagree with it. But I'm sick of it. It's just too much all the time. These designers just never stop talking about how special they all are, how important to the world they make themselves out to be. I wish they would just get over themselves a little bit.  

That is why I only watch the show after I've recorded it.  I just fast forward through everything that isn't them working on the outfits.

• Love 6

There were so many times I thought Coral should win the week, but they never gave it to her.  So I was sure that she was going to win the finale, because otherwise i thought she would have been edited differently.  And Siriano save or not, Shantall was previously eliminated!  Bringing back people who were eliminated never feels fair to me based on the structure of the show.  One day you’re in, next day you’re out, period.  No coming back.  So it disturbs me now in particular because without Shantall I’m sure Coral would have won.  The other two collections didn’t hold a candle to hers. I hope Coral markets her line.  There were some incredible, gorgeous, standout pieces.  Yup she was robbed 

• Love 13
2 hours ago, DEL901 said:

Think about who the guest judge was.  Tommy Hilfiger is about commercial clothing.  Sales.  He knows what sells.  So that’s how he based his critique. 

That is why I really liked him as a judge. He can judge what would sell the most and make the winner the most commercially successful.  I really like Coral's too, but I could see her clothing in  a small boutique.   I can see Shantall's line in Macy's.  Kristina's reminded me of resort wear.  And that one blouse looked like it had a large open mouth near the blouse opening.  Chastity's were definitely costumy.

• Love 12

I don't hold Shantall being eliminated against her because I believe so much is scripted that if she really was going to be out for good, the judges may not have eliminated her to begin with.  I don't remember what Coral did that episode, but it may have been just as worthy of elimination. To me most of the designers were equal in talent. 

• Love 6
4 minutes ago, howiveaddict said:

That is why I really liked him as a judge. He can judge what would sell the most and make the winner the most commercially successful.  I really like Coral's too, but I could see her clothing in  a small boutique.   I can see Shantall's line in Macy's.  Kristina's reminded me of resort wear.  And that one blouse looked like it had a large open mouth near the blouse opening.  Chastity's were definitely costumy.

Each has its place in the industry, which is why I didn't like him as a judge.  He focused too much on what he himself does--churn out very similar clothes every year.  I would have like to have seen Fern Mallis(sp?) as a judge instead.

• Love 23
17 minutes ago, backgroundnoise said:

Each has its place in the industry, which is why I didn't like him as a judge.  He focused too much on what he himself does--churn out very similar clothes every year.  I would have like to have seen Fern Mallis(sp?) as a judge instead.

Yeah. I've never owned a Hilfiger piece. Everything looks alike, and I don't like the look. I have a special aversion to red-white-and-blue, too, which seems to be the only color choices he makes.

• Love 16
8 hours ago, Andyourlittledog2 said:

These designers just never stop talking about how special they all are, how important to the world they make themselves out to be. I wish they would just get over themselves a little bit.  And they never stop squealing and clapping and acting like five year olds who were just told the ice cream truck is coming. Calm the fuck down.

I totally agree. And oh yeah, the SQUEALING! 

I absolutely HATED Chasity's lineup. Ugly bling. Take off the ruffles, do it in white and you've got "Say Yes to the Dress" going on. Which is probably what she really wants to do. Move over Pnina!

• Love 20

Tommy Hilfiger grated on me.

I thought his flat and lame comments were just about what would sell - mass produced stuff that's in Macy's - like his tired knockoff red, white, blue, Americana crap, knock-off of Ralph Lauren's success.  Yawn. His comments were not thoughtful, not seeing the artistic and craftsman side of the designs.  I miss Michael Kors. He had both points of view: recognizing originality, fine workmanship, detail, art, sensibility, aesthetics - and practicality in what would sell. 

Was Hilfiger a last minute replacement for Elaine ? They needed a 4th judge, another thoughtful opinion like the old days. Brandon and Nina  were left trying to carry the comments, fill the talking void, sort of speak.

By the way, I think Kristina has beautiful flawless skin. Is from all the celery juice ?! ;)

• Love 11

I'm soooo in agreement with those who didn't care for Hilfiger as a judge.  He was all about stressing commercial appeal and what might sell but don't the judges sometimes slam the designers for not taking chances and being more grand?!  Kentaro was one of my fav designers ever and I can't recall anything about his show being commercial.   Even Christian's critiques were geared toward helping the designers amplify their garments from just beautifully made pretty dresses to something more spectacular.  Which brings me to something else I really like about this season:

I loved how all of the designers seemed to honestly support, help and appreciate one another.  We've come a loooong way from Wendy Pepper v. Everyone.  LOL.   I mean, how sweet was it that Chasity gave Coral some of that black tulle that she needed to enhance her showpiece?   Just a beautiful display of sportsmanship.  I hope all the ladies find tremendous success in their own rights.

• Love 15

I would have been fine with a Coral or Shantall win. Coral’s garments were beautiful, but felt just a little…disjointed as a collection. I thought the macrame was lovely. People called Shantall’s work a snake pattern, but to me it was a modern take on Art Deco. I thought it was gorgeous, but a little stiff in places. 

I loved Kristina’s patterns when she was showing Christian, then I hated what she did with them. Those digital poppies were stunning. 

Chasity makes stage wear. Tommy Hilfiger called it. When Chasity said she wanted to take her brand worldwide while standing next to a sheer bedazzled body suit, all I could wonder is what world? Maybe a Mariah Carey world tour, but those clothes couldn’t even be translated to a wearable version.

Coral absolutely needs to put out a resort line. I think it would absolutely sell.

ETA: I appreciated Tommy Hilfiger having a different perspective, and looking at longevity and marketability. Those aren’t the only criteria for choosing a winner, but these designers want to be commercially successful, and that perspective is important for them to hear.  

Edited by BlackberryJam
  • Love 18

I was surprised by the mini-mansion Chasity and her family were shown in. The way she was acting all season, I expected a shabby tenement. Everything has already been said about her collection, although I did like the sheer jumpsuit/puffy long coat thing. She certainly never met an embellishment she didn't like. I was 🙄about her wanting to create an empire that she could turn over the keys to her kids, oy.

I actually liked Kristina's show the best- considering I hated most of what she produced all season, I was shocked to like her music, prints, and even the colors. I did question the hoverboard thing, since it didn't allow the audience to get any idea how the dress moved. The model looked like she was on one of those people-movers at an airport.

Coral's and Shantall's collections mostly seemed very gimmicky. I also thought Shantall's fabric choice - it looked like a shantung(?) -was the opposite of body-con, but maybe that was the idea. As to Coral, her last piece (colorful bodice/tulle skirt/headdress) and her son looked great😏

• Love 3
1 minute ago, sempervivum said:

As to Coral, her last piece (colorful bodice/tulle skirt/headdress) and her son looked great

was anyone else surprised that she had a son that old? I also loved everything about her last look

• Love 20
10 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

And just when I thought Elaine made the most ridiculous comments, here comes Tommy Hilfiger. So the prints won’t appeal to the widest array of Macy’s customers? Another design won’t be relevant 5 years from now? A person won’t want to buy more than one look from this collection? WHO CARES? This is fashion. It’s about looking good, being interesting in the moment, and demonstrating a unique point of view. The show is Project Runway, not Project J.C. Penney.  [...]

Lol, exactly.  I don't think Tommy Hilfiger has ever watched Project Runway.  He apparently thinks it's a show about commercial viability.  As though designers don't send impossible-to-duplicate little squiffs of feather and bubblegum down the runway all the time.

Brandon Maxwell sounded so competitive of Hilfiger, I would have been embarrassed for him if I liked him better.  Well, I did so-and-so when I started MY line . . . and I believe you did the same, Tommy.

Chastity, wtF?  You have three months to work and you show up for Fashion Week with zippers and hems and beading still to do?  Her fiance' mentioned that she tends to leave things to the last minute, but that was a terrible mistake.  

• Love 11
10 hours ago, Andyourlittledog2 said:

If I hear any more brave little toaster that could stories... Journeys. Powerful women. People who look like me. I get it. I don't disagree with it. But I'm sick of it. It's just too much all the time.

I thought the editors would never put an end to Chasity's weepy-voiced blathering. She was trying to market her way into the win. She abandoned some of her earlier designs that were stunning and went for Bob Mackie. "Black sheep who bloomed." WFT? So when I saw the black ruffled britches I thought "wooly sheep." And, later, the god Pan.

I wonder if Elaine got into a snit about something and didn't show. Perhaps that the fix was in for Shantall? I had the impression that her no-show was very last minute. The judges seemed a bit thrown off at the start of the runway. Hopefully she wasn't extremely ill.

Coral's photos in her studio took me back to my Central American travels in the 80s. It's a magical place. I still have some of the textiles I bought there. I bet we'll see some of her exquisite macrame and embroidery work on Hollywood ingenues.

I'm not a fan of huge graphic prints, at least not for business wear, so I didn't love all of Shantall's collection. The baggy red dress was straight out of the 80s - we called them coat dresses. But she was the smart choice. She will be a good partner to the PR/CFDA machinery and maximize its leverage.

Good for Christian stopping Kristina's nudity madness. Kristina seemed a little bonkers during the episode. But I liked her flowy dresses better than the cotton pajama trend she had going. Although I'd wear the cotton pajamas around the house.

Someone explain the model-picking to me. We didn't see a lot of refitting. So how did the designers know the sizes to make their collections?

Edited by pasdetrois
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, sempervivum said:

I did question the hoverboard thing, since it didn't allow the audience to get any idea how the dress moved. The model looked like she was on one of those people-movers at an airport.

I agree on the hoverboard, and thought the idea was ridiculous.  I don't know what, exactly, Kristina thought would be great about it.  The dress was way better when the models all came out together, and the model walked in it so you could see the long, flowing train.  I don't have any idea how that could be something someone would buy or wear or what even it was supposed to be...a robe?  A coat?  But it looked cool.

34 minutes ago, pasdetrois said:

"Black sheep who bloomed." WFT? So when I saw the black ruffled britches I thought "wooly sheep." And, later, the god Pan.

This.  Chasity kept describing it as the "black sheep who bloomed" and I'm like, WTF kind of mixed metaphor is that?  Sheep don't bloom.  "Black sheep" are the ones who don't follow the herd and go their own way, often to their detriment.  Are you thinking of the Ugly Duckling, perhaps?  The one who transforms into a beautiful swan?  Whatever, her collection wasn't any of those things.  It was full of Cher rejects.  The only outfit I liked was the purple pants and top, and that was pretty basic.

Shantall's collection seemed like a boxy, ill-fitting mess to me.  Neither pretty, nor well-fitting, nor special.  The twisty ropey things made me wonder if she was trying to copy Coral's macrame, like she thought she needed a "signature" technique.  Gray looks horrible on most people, Shantall!  That's why none of your models looked good in it, and neither did you!  The only thing I liked was the black slip dress under the column coat (though I really, really hated that pattern!), and again, that dress was really basic.

I'd give my win to Coral because, like Nina, I, too, would buy one of the macrame dresses, and one of the zippered jackets.  I'd actually buy more of the macrame dresses if some were shorter and came in different colors.  They'd be so easy to slip on and wear in the hot, humid summers or on vacation.

Edited by izabella
  • Love 15
32 minutes ago, pasdetrois said:

Someone explain the model-picking to me. We didn't see a lot of refitting. So how did the designers know the sizes to make their collections?

I had exactly the same thought-- and wondered if that was exactly why Chasity *didn't* have her hems and zippers done. How could  you if you don't know who's going to be wearing it-- particularly since there were some larger bodies there (though maybe they had already decided to choose a larger model for particular looks).

Also, I've never looked into how hair extensions work, but I presume that Chasity's floor length braids were not her own hair. How are they attached? I guess it must be that she has her own hair in braids of a certain length, and the the extensions are woven in?

• Love 5
1 hour ago, sempervivum said:

I was surprised by the mini-mansion Chasity and her family were shown in.

I've watched a lot of real estate/house design shows set in Texas, and that's a pretty bog standard suburban Texas home. Very cookie cutter.

33 minutes ago, pasdetrois said:

"Black sheep who bloomed." WFT? So when I saw the black ruffled britches I thought "wooly sheep." And, later, the god Pan.

I wonder if Elaine got into a snit about something and didn't show. Perhaps that the fix was in for Shantall? I had the impression that her no-show was very last minute. The judges seemed a bit thrown off at the start of the runway. Hopefully she wasn't extremely ill.

That's the Great God Pan. 😎

Where was Elaine in her pregnancy at the time of the runway show? Maybe she was on bed rest or something.

Was that building supposed to be a version of the quilted Chanel bag? Because that's what I saw every time I saw it.

I adored Coral's collection. Growing up in L.A. I've worn a ton of Mexican embroidery, and I've never gotten tired of it. Coral really elevated it. I'd buy a ton if she'd do a pret-a-porter collection.

I like Kristina's more than I expected. And I agree with Nina -- I thought the hoverboard thingy worked.

Shantall's collection was very cohesive. I think that's partly why she won. Some pieces were stunning, Agree with someone upthread -- did NOT like the red dress with the big buttons.

Chasity? Less said the better. Oh, and the chyron kept saying one of her daughter's name was Kirsten, but every time Chasity said it, it sounded like Kisten to me.

• Love 10

I think this is one of Shantall's inspirations for her big graphic prints and the snake motif. I could see it in her designs.

image.png.c3411b59d3d09e1ef62b6761eb6798a6.png

Forgot to say I was disappointed not to be able to see Zayden's face. In fact, some of the returning designers looked like they were dressed for a costume party.

• Love 14
1 minute ago, pasdetrois said:

Forgot to say I was disappointed not to be able to see Zayden's face. In fact, some of the returning designers looked like they were dressed for a costume party.

Trying to get, as it were, face time.

• LOL 8
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, pasdetrois said:

Other than the fact that each designer had, I think, one plus-size/larger model (so perhaps they were told to make one outfit for a larger frame), all the models were mostly standard runway model dimensions, so I assume the designers could make the clothes in sample sizes and make minor alterations. 

I didn’t really mind the discussion of commercial viability, given how much that  is something the designers themselves said they want, and also considering how successful in that realm past winners have (or have not) been. Even among people who are somewhat up on fashion, Christian is the only one of the previous 18 PR winners I would say has a “household name.” Otherwise, the only one I see pop up here and there is Michael Costello, who makes some red carpet and performance costumes much in the same not-exactly-chic aesthetic as his PR work. 

Edited by caitmcg
  • Love 6