Type keyword(s) to search

S19.E14: Finale

• Start Topic

17 hours ago, Fake Jan Brady said:

Was the high strung woman who dominated the first couple of episodes there?

Do you mean Katie Korman?  (I forgot her name, too.  Had to look it up).
If so, I’m pretty sure I saw her sitting with the other contestants at the finale.

ETA: Sorry for the two photos!  I can’t figure out how to delete!

image.thumb.jpeg.0794b7ff67daaac5e89adb678457f62d.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by LotusFlower
  • LOL 1
4 hours ago, lovesnark said:

She didn't say, but she was pissed. She looked like she was ready to totally go off. Christian was able to pull it all together, but did remind her that it was a competition and there could only be one winner. I think it was Bones on the after show who said Shantall was in it to compete and didn't get as chummy with everyone in their apartment. Maybe Kristina was pissed that one of the buddy club didn't win.

How dare someone go on a competition show...and want to win.  The nerve of Shantall! 😉

• LOL 9
  • Love 6
5 hours ago, OlderThanDirt said:

I would not recognize a Tommy Hilfiger design that didn't have his name on it. This wasn't Project Retail Marketing. 

Does Christian Siriano do any ready to wear?

Yes, and it ranges from $10K gowns to sports bras with his name emblazoned on them. He’s also done plenty of licensing deals for inexpensive goods, including with Payless Shoes and Home Shopping Network. His Wikipedia page is pretty out of date, but it lists everything from Starbucks gift cards to O-Cel-O dish sponges that he put his name on into the 2010s.

• Useful 6
  • Love 2
3 minutes ago, caitmcg said:

Yes, and it ranges from $10K gowns to sports bras with his name emblazoned on them. He’s also done plenty of licensing deals for inexpensive goods, including with Payless Shoes and Home Shopping Network. His Wikipedia page is pretty out of date, but it lists everything from Starbucks gift cards to O-Cel-O dish sponges that he put his name on into the 2010s.

I have a pair Christian Siriano jeans from J.Jill and they are incredibly comfortable and flattering.

• Useful 8
  • Love 6
On 2/4/2022 at 6:34 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

LOL, and Pucci?  I was confused by some of his comments too, even though I liked a lot of what he said and agreed with his results.

Yes, and he was better than Elaine.  I can't even agree or disagree with a lot of what she says because I don't know what the fuck she means. 

On 2/4/2022 at 6:36 PM, Shannon L. said:

I usually lurk here, but I had to post this:

bob-mackie-cher.jpg?quality=80&strip=all

Oh gosh I'd forgotten just how show-stopping Cher was back in the day! 

19 hours ago, cyberfruit said:

...did she think she should have been the winner? because i object.

Yes, agreed. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 7
On 2/4/2022 at 1:24 AM, estellasmum said:

My thoughts on the collections from favorite to least favorite:

Shantall-- Some of the pieces were great (the dress everyone swooned for, and the pant suit), and DD WORKED the runway. Didn't hate anything, except for the boxy, heavy looking dress she took out and wore herself. 

Estellasmum, I'm pleased that, unlike a poster or two, you noted (re Shantall)  "the boxy, heavy looking dress she took out and wore herself."  True!  Shantall had originally intended the dress to be sized for a model, but she commented that she liked the dress and decided that even tho it made sense to follow Christian's advice and "let it go," that she liked it enough that she really wanted it to be shown.  So, SHE wore it.   While Shantall is very slim with a lovely figure, If we envision this dress on a professional model - probably 5'10" give or take and thin as a rake, we might have seen the dress in a different light.   It may not have 'stood out' to us, but it would have seemed a perfectly cohesive part of the Collection. That said, I admire Shantall's decision to show a piece that she had obviously put a lot of time and care into.  I wish that more people understood that the dress was originally designed for a traditional "runway model."

P.S.  Estellasmum:  Am wondering that since you use the term "mum," if you are from England?  I lived there for many years ( am a longtime NY-er) and still find myself using the word "MUM!"  😄

• Love 8
8 hours ago, OlderThanDirt said:

I would not recognize a Tommy Hilfiger design that didn't have his name on it. This wasn't Project Retail Marketing. 

Okay, now I have two Marshalls references and I can't hold back any longer.

1.  Tommy Hilfiger bedding is great.  Rich, delicious colors, very crisp and clean.  And there's usually a ton of it at Marshalls so you get to feel good about the discount.

2.  A week ago at Marshalls, I examined several sets of Christian Siriano brand glassware.  Each set had six clear glasses with a different gold motif on each glass--polka dots, elongated diamonds, swirls, slashes, etc. The stemless champagne flutes were interesting, but, eh, who needs more glasses?

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
37 minutes ago, candall said:

1.  Tommy Hilfiger bedding is great.  Rich, delicious colors, very crisp and clean.  And there's usually a ton of it at Marshalls so you get to feel good about the discount.

2.  A week ago at Marshalls, I examined several sets of Christian Siriano brand glassware.  Each set had six clear glasses with a different gold motif on each glass--polka dots, elongated diamonds, swirls, slashes, etc. The stemless champagne flutes were interesting, but, eh, who needs more glasses?

I have some Tommy Hilfiger towels I got at TJ Maxx that are very nice and have held up extremely well. I bought a Christian Siriano sweater at Sierra online last month!

• Love 6
10 hours ago, OlderThanDirt said:

He sure does/did!  A line at Macy’s, and let’s not forget Christian Siriano for Payless…shoes and purses even I could afford!

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, candall said:

I have  some Tommy Hilfiger home stuff and I love it too (Runs away)

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 5
On 2/4/2022 at 9:45 AM, SuburbanHangSuite said:

Coral's entire collection was perfection.  I loved her inclusion of the male model and loved all of her pieces.  

If you all only knew how much I disliked Christian on his season.  So the fact that I adore him now is really mind-blowing.  Tim Who?

AGREE! I couldn't stand Christian; I really appreciate him as a mentor, and I admire all that he has accomplished.

I loved Coral's line too, and am so happy to hear that so many others did. Personally I really liked the macrame and felt she was able to do some very interesting things with it. In a way, there is some correlation between zippers and macrame -- I wonder if there is could have been a way to connect them a bit more, and would that have made it cohesive? I don't know -- I really liked her collection. Her final look was stunning. 

I liked Shantall's work and feel that she is more polished than the rest of them. With that said, her collection was really, really 80s to the point where I wasn't sure I liked it. (I think Tommy Hilfiger said something like what I was thinking--like, it was so dated he almost didn't like it but then he did? Or something like that. Would have to rewatch.) The gray suit was David Byrne revisited.

I loved Zayden's support of Coral (his look less so). My favorite memory of Zayden were his reaction shots to the drama with the dingy bra lady.  Speaking of whom, I was very glad not to see her!

• Love 9
45 minutes ago, lovinbob said:

AGREE! I couldn't stand Christian; I really appreciate him as a mentor, and I admire all that he has accomplished.

I loved Coral's line too, and am so happy to hear that so many others did. Personally I really liked the macrame and felt she was able to do some very interesting things with it. In a way, there is some correlation between zippers and macrame -- I wonder if there is could have been a way to connect them a bit more, and would that have made it cohesive? I don't know -- I really liked her collection. Her final look was stunning. 

I liked Shantall's work and feel that she is more polished than the rest of them. With that said, her collection was really, really 80s to the point where I wasn't sure I liked it. (I think Tommy Hilfiger said something like what I was thinking--like, it was so dated he almost didn't like it but then he did? Or something like that. Would have to rewatch.) The gray suit was David Byrne revisited.

I loved Zayden's support of Coral (his look less so). My favorite memory of Zayden were his reaction shots to the drama with the dingy bra lady.  Speaking of whom, I was very glad not to see her!

I like Christian but I agree with someone else who posted that he shouldn't be allowed to give them advice at the Finale stage.  If this is what the designer came up with, she should just go with that and not change based on anything he says.

I loved Coral's final look and I had thought from when Christian visited her and we saw all those colorful pictures/drawings on her wall that we would be seeing more brilliant colors. But I love her macrame and she's really talented and sweet.

I liked a lot of Shantall's outfits during the season but I found her final collection kind of boring, drab and just not attractive.

I never got Christina's style and I would never have guessed from her final collection on the runway that it was her work.  Just didn't look at all like what she did during the season, except maybe for the last outfit.  The hoverboard was ridiculous and a poor and dangerous idea.

Enjoyed seeing the eliminated designers in the audience, but didn't see my favorite, Bones.  Was he there? Are there pictures anywhere taken of these people in the audience?

• Love 7

I agree with many other posters that TH focused way too much on being able to market the items. If that was going to be an aspect of the judging, they should have been told that before they started designing. To have included some ready-to-wear along with other designs. My husband said he mostly knows TH for making polo shirts and boxers. I said how if a designer had sent the models down in jeans and polo shirts, he'd have deemed them the winner!

We both thought Coral should have won, despite her not making much of an impression throughout the season (I kept forgetting she was even still in the competition), either in clothing or personality (she seems very sweet though!). Hers had the most interesting pieces to me, and I felt like the fit was amazing on most of them. That said, I think Shantal is very talented and like her as a person. My daughter is on the autism spectrum, so I was particularly touched by her reaction to her child saying "Mama!"

Chasity seems like someone I'd want to hang out with, but I disliked the majority of her collection. H said her first look seemed like a stripper. I said with the short, poufy skirt, it looked like a mix of stripper and ice-skating outfit. I think she has talent and does have a niche, it's just not one that appeals to me.

I'm not even sure what to say about Kristina's collection...She made a comment about how her first piece was the best thing she'd ever designed, and I was like, "Seriously? That???" Plus she only did the bra part because Christian insisted. I like the idea of her prints and even some of the actual prints, just disliked most of the cuts of the garments themselves.

• Love 7
16 hours ago, CraftyHazel said:

He sure does/did!  A line at Macy’s, and let’s not forget Christian Siriano for Payless…shoes and purses even I could afford!

I have a Christian Siriano purse; yes I bought it from Payless. It has held up rather well. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

I didn't get to watch until today because of a power outage.  I'm happy with the winner, but I thought Coral's collection could have taken the win as well.  Speaking of Coral, how on earth is she 40 years old and still looks 25?  And her son is gorgeous (as are Shantall and Chasity's partners).  And still speaking of Coral - that white jacket with the red embroidery that everyone was so hot about - I hated it.  That was on my "wouldn't be caught dead in that thing" list.  Christian was funny as heck trying to keep Kristina from sending bare boobs down the runway.  The pros do it all the time, but I guess PR isn't ready for that yet.  As for Chasity, I think she should have reined herself in a little with some more wearable items mixed in with all those sparkles and ruffles.  And she never should have mentioned sheep because her looks were just too fluffy and that mention just called attention to the excess.

• Love 7

I was happy with the outcome, even though Chantall's collection wasn't as strong as I expected. 

Christina is not my style but I did like how she just did her thing. She was always pushing the edges and I admire the effort. 

Coral was stronger than I expected. Chasity's was nice enough but i didn't see it as the winner. 

• Love 4
23 hours ago, TzuShih said:

P.S.  Estellasmum:  Am wondering that since you use the term "mum," if you are from England?  I lived there for many years ( am a longtime NY-er) and still find myself using the word "MUM!"  😄

No, at the time I created my account, I had an inordinate amount of British ex-pat friends. The weirder thing is none of my children are named Estella. It's a bizarre inside joke. I guess I'm a perfect warning that people on the internet are often not who they seem to be. 🙃

• LOL 5
  • Love 2
On 2/4/2022 at 10:28 AM, backgroundnoise said:

If I picked the collection that had the two single outfits I loved best, it would be Shantall's (the black and white ones).

If I picked the collection that had the highest overall number of outfits I liked vs. disliked, it would be Kristina's.  I was quite surprised by her collection and I really like the prints.  

I like quite a few of Coral's too.  I would have been fine with any of the three winning.

I hated everything in Chasity's except the one blue/purple top and pants that had nothing to do with the rest of the collection.  I suppose celebrities could wear her stuff on stage, but even for that, it wasn't very attractive.  Just tacky and dated, IMO.  The finale dress didn't even make an impact because of all the ruffles coming down the runway before it.

If you have to state yourself how important to the industry you are, then you are not.  TH's tunnel vision judging even made me miss Elaine.

Tacky and dated is brilliantly put.

I don't know how she made it this far other than the PR powers that be wanted all female final four.  I don't really think we've seen anything original from her.

Edited by Boo Boo
  • Love 5
On 2/5/2022 at 10:18 AM, seacliffsal said:

My greatest regret watching this was that I didn't remember to use my mute button earlier.  Yikes! Each and every designer had to give us their "little engine that could" speech multiple times throughout the episode.  Just stop.  I also don't need to hear all of the children saying how great their mothers are because that is what I would expect and I would rather see more of the clothes.  And, I guess being "strong" negates having any humility or humbleness.

I have learned how to shut my hearing down.   Nice skill to have when they start weeping about their rocky “journeys”.  

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

I'm another one that loved Coral's looks.  I actually thought if it were based on her runway alone, she should have won.

I liked most of Shantall's designs during the season and wasn't surprised she won but I didn't like the collection she put out.  I didn't see luxe in it at all. Looked like Elvis pants with a boxy blazer.  I didn't see her collection selling and imagined it being all dirty in my local Ross store hanging from a rack.

Chastity's collection really seemed like the same stuff we've seen her do all season.  I totally agree -- her looks were what Cher would wear.  I didn't see Beyonce in it at all.  

I actually thought Kristina's print was really beautiful.  I wasn't a fan of her work but I thought it was interesting.

Also, I agree Chastity's finance is freaking gorgeous as is Shantall's husband!  And like others, i'm tired of the "journey" tearful stories, and I'm also tired of hearing the "empowering" designs trope. 

Edited by Boo Boo
  • Love 9

I just started watching the finale. I'm not spoiled so I won't be reading previous posts for a bit. But I just got so annoyed during Shantell's critique when Christian downplayed her pale yellow outfit, saying the color was 80's and his mom had something in that color. He is speaking from the white-skin perspective in thinking how the outfit would look on a white person. My first thought on seeing the outfit is that she should use a black or otherwise dark-skinned model where the yellow will really display well. Other PR judges have name this mistake, too. I am just surprised that Christian, being much younger than those other judges and having tons of experience in the industry, would make that mistake.

I hope she keeps the outfit in her collection.

Edited by Lamb18
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5

Kristina looks pregnant, not far along. 

I wonder if she paid the graphic designer out of the money she got.

Her collection, some of it, looks old. There's a white gown that looks like an old-time night dress.

After another look, it is how her garment juts out that makes her look pregnant.

Edited by Lamb18
  • LOL 1

I also think they should lay out some ground rules of looks they want -- is the whole collection supposed to be marketable to the masses?  A mixture of aspiring designs and marketable? It doesn't seem fair to have one designer's looks judged for not being easily reproduced if that's not the ground rule. 

Also, I did a rewatch b/c I missed a lot doing chores while it was on.  I was surprised how much boobie we got to see w/o them being edited out (at least on my video on demand).

• Love 3

I thought Kristina's collection was beautiful but the final outfit seemed a bit clown costumey to me. Without the hoverboard it wouldn't have so much, but the big ruff around the neck, white shoes and hoverboard made it look kind of clownish.

Shantell's was good, but the solid colors scheme seems one we've seen before.

Chasity's tutu dress - no. Didn't really care for this collection. Too dark and too much the same.

Looking forward to Coral's!

• Love 4

I wish this venue was better lit.

I liked Coral's, but it was showing up so dark it was hard tobsee the details. I did like the glitter/sequins in the macrame of one of the black outfits.

I like Kristina's the best, shantell second, Coral third, Chasity last. (Shantell and Coral close.) I thought overall they had a good show.

• Love 1

It seems to me that they expect the collection to be runway but to be able to translate into commercial garments.  Fashion is great and all that but it won't pay the bills unless people are willing to pay for your clothes.  I do think Shantal's collection was the most easily translated into retail (and quite honestly it was my favorite overall collection - it was elegant).  I actually loved that slip dress they showed on the final judging - it was stunning.

I was somewhat pleasantly surprised by Kristina's collection.  I thought it was much better than I expected it to be, but those prints were not going to translate well.  I actually liked hearing the comments about how long they would be able to sell a certain design.

Coral's collection was cool and Shantal's was prom-y.  

Honestly I thought all four designers did a beautiful job but I also think the right designer won.

• Love 4

6 hours ago, carrps said:

Did you mean Chasity's collection was prom-y? I don't think Shantall's was prom-y at all.

The only prom Chasity's collection would only be suitable for would be one for drag queens. 😁

I wonder why Shantall didn't finish her collection with the black and white coat?

Edited by Leeds
On 2/4/2022 at 8:04 PM, candall said:

The beginning of the end of Tim Gunn, for me, was when he started showing up at the runway show to whisper the workroom dish in the judges' ears.  There was suddenly a whole new facet to his "mentor" role--as in, ignore his suggestions at your peril because the judges will hear about it.

The judges still hear about it. I can’t remember where, but I read an article that said Christian and the judges are in communication throughout the day. (Just as Tim and the judges were always conversing, I suspect.) They may act like they don’t know what went on in the workroom, but they know. They know everything. We just don’t see it happening.

On 2/5/2022 at 6:54 PM, caitmcg said:

He also has a line of eyeglass frames. With all the branding deals, he must be seriously stinking rich. 

• Love 4

I know a lot of people on these boards think Christian is over-involved in the designers' work throughout the season (personally I enjoy it), but imagine how boring the finale would have been without him.

• Love 9
On 2/5/2022 at 12:00 AM, Fake Jan Brady said:

Was the high strung woman who dominated the first couple of episodes there?

Someone in another forum said that Meg (the woman who quit in episode two) stated on Instagram that she was not invited to the finale. I tried to find the post, to no avail. Perhaps she deleted it as a potential violation of the NDA. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
23 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

The judges still hear about it. I can’t remember where, but I read an article that said Christian and the judges are in communication throughout the day. (Just as Tim and the judges were always conversing, I suspect.) They may act like they don’t know what went on in the workroom, but they know. They know everything. We just don’t see it happening.

He also has a line of eyeglass frames. With all the branding deals, he must be seriously stinking rich. 

Christian was really smart after he won PR and had opportunities to make deals with Payless Shoes and the gazillion others. That's what kept money rolling in to grow his business and now he has that gorgeous atelier in Manhattan, the house in Connecticut and who knows what else. A lot of designers wouldn't have been caught dead with their name on shoes and bags at Payless, but he could see the big picture. Now, the little bugger is one of the most popular designers in the world.

• Useful 3
  • Love 14

Having your name in too many places can dilute your demand though. Christian is fortunate that he is still in demand for his couture work but many people who start selling to budget lines/stores are considered a joke and no longer a real designer. I do think that all runways should be fantasy and ideas with the trends then translating to actual clothing that sells. I thought Coral’s outfits could be redone for actual sale. I’m not sure if Shantal’s could change to ready to wear without being basic, boxy pieces.

• Love 1
On 2/8/2022 at 5:16 AM, Leeds said:

I know a lot of people on these boards think Christian is over-involved in the designers' work throughout the season (personally I enjoy it), but imagine how boring the finale would have been without him.

I think he is over involved, but I also think that some of us just accept it for what it is.  It's part of this iteration of PR.  

• Love 2
On 2/7/2022 at 11:36 AM, Lamb18 said:

I wish this venue was better lit.

I liked Coral's, but it was showing up so dark it was hard to see the details. I did like the glitter/sequins in the macrame of one of the black outfits.

[...]

I'm no runway expert, but I think it's unusual to have black carpet instead of pure white runways.  I mentioned to my dogs several times that I couldn't really pick out the details of the garments against the black carpet.  (They dinna care.)

• LOL 8
  • Love 1

Christian is somebody we don’t forget!  He has a wonderful personality and a great sense of humor and the participants seem to love him!

All of that is part of his brand. 

The one I always have my eye on is Nina Garcia. She’s the evil one. 

And Brandon what’s his name and that smirk he wears!

On 2/11/2022 at 5:58 PM, TVbitch said:

Are there no decoy collections to look at this season? Googled and couldn't find any. 

Given that there was a five-month break between filming of the previous episode and the final collections, it probably wasn’t necessary.

• Useful 1

Chantall was the clear winner if you take into account the whole season but man was her final collection REALLY boxy. 

I thought Coral's overall collection was the best but having accrued no wins during the season she was a long-shot at best.

These designers should take cues from their plus-sized models. They always show up looking WAY better than what the designers end up putting them in. 

Didn't miss Elaine. At all.

Ditto for Mimi. 

• Love 3
On 2/8/2022 at 4:16 AM, Leeds said:

I'd say, then, that it's a reflection on the show, the designers, and their designs that the mentor -- who should not be the center of attention -- is what keeps the show interesting. The show is supposed to be about fashion and a new, fresh designer. Those things should not take a back seat to the mentor, even if it is Christian. 

Edited by Captain Asshat
  • Love 6