Type keyword(s) to search

S12.E07: Caramel Week

• Start Topic

It's Caramel Week and the bakers put their twist on a classic caramel tart and produce a family favourite biscuit bar, before making a showstopping dessert encased in a sugar dome.

Original Uk Air Date: November 2, 2021.

I couldn't watch this episode live but I followed the live blog on the Guardian and the two lads (one of them is Michael Chakraverty, a former Bake Off contestant) who run it are wittier and funnier than Matt and Noel.
I feared the worst when Noel got out another googly eyed prop in the intro.

Poor George, but even though his showstopper looked so yummy he was overdue for the chop. This almost felt like the prolonged stumble we had to witness with Laura last year. Keeping him over Lizzie wouldn't have gone down well with the viewers, I think.
As both Freya and Amanda also struggled a bit, I am not sure they would've done much better. But I still would've preferred they kept Freya in German week.

People (on Social Media and in the live blog comments) got a bit annoyed with that Twix technical challenge, but I find those quite entertaining even though it makes no sense to recreate something like that at home. I fondly remember the Jaffa cakes, and tbh I take that over those stupid isomalt globes any day.
Loved that Lizzie turned it upside down and made a flower pot.

And they already have the casting call out for the next series!

Edited by Aulty
  • Love 12

I knew Jurgen was winning the week when Maggie could barely bring herself to put her fork down during the showstopper. I thought Lizzie was going to surprise me with a showstopping stunner, cuz her bowl looked so pretty, but the inside looked a mess.

I never watch the opening bits, but I thought Noel was his best self inside the tent this week, just being encouraging and helpful and making fun comments, like how Paul will be judging the caramel by comparing it to the color of his tan and needing a show of hands for those who suffered a heart attack during Crystelle's protracted bowl crisis.

• Love 20

Oh my god. I am so surprised that George was sent home. Who would ever have predicted that? Poor guy looked hunted for the whole episode (and has done for three or four weeks now) but at least he got to go out on a relative high.

Chigs' and Crystelle's caramel tarts looked amazing. Giuseppe's was not one for people with trypophobia. George and Lizzie's idea to pipe cream on top of hot caramel custard was... not a good one.

Over halfway through now, and Giuseppe and Crystelle are definitely my favourites. Both just seem to be very positive, happy and engaging people who are thoroughly enjoying themselves. And Crystelle has a great laugh.

Noel had cute moments with Crystelle, Giuseppe and George, and it seems clear that they're enjoying his presence. Matt trying to joke with Juergen falls flat, because Juergen just doesn't seem to get him.

Twixes for a technical is fair enough - make shortbread, caramel and coat with chocolate. How hard can that be? Turns out, very. But I think Noel tweaked the show on the nose when he said that ninety minutes didn't seem like long enough.

I've never understood the obsession with these isomalt/sugar constructions. They don't sound good to eat, they don't really look that good and they're just there to make things as difficult as possible (which, I guess, is the only reason they're included). Crystelle's dome saga was stressful, but it seems her choice of mould really set her back. She kept smiling and joking though.

All the showstoppers looked really good this week, but it seemed like there were quite a few technical errors from people who don't usually make them. Perhaps because they all had to waste time moulding sugar into domes?

Next week - they're actually doing vegan and free-from bakes? Poor Freya would have absolutely smashed it.

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Love 5
4 hours ago, TVbitch said:

I knew Jurgen was winning the week when Maggie could barely bring herself to put her fork down during the showstopper.

Do you mean Prue (not Maggie)?

• LOL 6

It was cute that Noel unpacked George's bags (to no avail, alas). I was confused for a moment when Noel said "I'm wearing your pants" (while he was clearly wearing his skinny jeans that in no way would fit a rather roly-poly George.

Then I remembered that in the UK, "pants" means "underwear."

Ewww......

• LOL 14
  • Love 4

This week seemed underwhelming to me.  The same ingredient as the focus of all three rounds?  Kinda boring.

At least when it's pastry week they can do puff, hot water, choux, etc.  Bread week can have a wide variety of breads and techniques.  Same with desserts and cakes and biscuits.  Even vegan week, German week, and spice week offers some variety.  But caramel week?  How many times did we have to see the bakers hunched over the pan waiting for the sugar to melt and go amber?  It's the same way I feel about chocolate week. I just feel like the focus is too narrow when the week is based around a single ingredient.

The sugar dome seemed like an attempt to offer up something other than caramel-based drama. 

Poor George, I think he could have gotten a handshake for his showstopper and still gone home after that disastrous first day.

I didn't realize how much I love Giuseppe until they were criticizing his showstopper and I could feel my mama bear defensive instincts rising in me.  I think that's the worst he's done this season.

Edited by BradyB66
  • Love 13
On 11/2/2021 at 10:08 PM, ShortyMac said:

I loved seeing them make homemade Twix. 

To make the challenge even harder some of the bakers' recipe said "Right Twix" while others said "Left Twix"

Paul and Prue both went to their dentists to check for loose fillings and bridgework after "Caramel Week"

• LOL 19
  • Love 2

Poor George— at least he went out on a good showstopper. It looked as if Prue was really enjoying it; she kept eating it. Lizzies’s sugar globe looked nice, but the inside looked and sounded (sage caramel?) unappetizing to me. The elimination decision must have been close.

Why didn’t they just call the technical millionaire shortbread bars? I’m with Paul on liking to dunk my Twix in a cup of hot tea or coffee (for a mocha caramel latte taste).

Paul has used the “wallpaper paste” comparison a few times in the show— how does he know what that tastes like?

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
9 minutes ago, Adiba said:

Paul has used the “wallpaper paste” comparison a few times in the show— how does he know what that tastes like?

I once got to go to a luau in Hawaii, and one of the things we were served was poi.  All I could think of was, "This tastes like what I THINK wallpaper pastes tastes like."  I wasn't about to pop in a spoonful of wallpaper paste to see if I was correct.  LOL.

• LOL 10
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Adiba said:

I think the comparison he’s making is about the texture, which you can certainly have a sense of without putting it in your mouth to see, rather than the taste. In some of the critiques, he complimented the flavor but decried the texture. Clearly, there was far too much reliance on extra gelatin so they could have set mousses within the time. Of the four who used gelatin, the only person who got the textures right was Juergen, with the two Bavarian creams the loved.

• Love 3

Maybe it’s just me and the fact that I’m not seeing it up close, but I actually liked the way Lizzie’s signature tart looked.  I have to admit that she’s grown on me.  It was really sweet of her to show Crystelle the balloon method for the dome, and then the, “you have to put it on your cake,” when Crystelle is thanking her.  I like the concept of Lizzie’s showstopper, but a pity it didn’t work out. 

Crystelle’s signature and showstopper were beautiful  I felt so bad for her on her mishap with the third dome.  Finally getting it, only to have it stick to the graveyard of failed isomalt domes.

What the heck did Chigs do to get his caramel that weird consistency on his first attempt during the showstopper?  It looked like he was trying to use the immersion blender on some Nickelodeon Gak.

When they were describing the technical, I was wondering why everyone was being so cagey about millionaire shortbreads.  Then I realized they didn’t want to raise the ire of Mars, Inc.

I’m kinda surprised that no one attempted a snow globe theme for their showstopper.  But it seemed like one dome was enough of a challenge. 

The editing seemed to be heavily telegraphing George to go home, but they threw us a, “Not so fast!” with George’s amazing showstopper and Lizzie’s beautiful, but non-tasty showstopper.  If I was the one in his shoes, I’d at least be happy that I redeemed myself after a bad showstopper and technical.  That may have saved him in the earlier rounds, but everyone else is really good.

Ever since someone put that bee vs. wasp argument between George and Amanda on Reddit last week, every time Jurgen talks, I keep wanting him to say, “That is a fly.”

Matt and Noel are still kinda hit-or-miss for me.  I did admittedly laugh at, “tell the bakers roughly how much time they have left.” Also laughed at Matt ducking down behind the counter, leaving his bald head in comparison by one of the isomalt domes.

Edited by Yajmele
  • Love 7
On 11/3/2021 at 1:08 AM, ShortyMac said:

I loved seeing them make homemade Twix

I guess I live a sheltered life, as I had no clue what "famous candy" they were avoiding mentioning. I figured it was some British thing LOL. None of the final results looked terribly professional!

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, caitmcg said:

I think the comparison he’s making is about the texture, which you can certainly have a sense of without putting it in your mouth to see, rather than the taste. In some of the critiques, he complimented the flavor but decried the texture. Clearly, there was far too much reliance on extra gelatin so they could have set mousses within the time. Of the four who used gelatin, the only person who got the textures right was Juergen, with the two Bavarian creams the loved.

Yes, I was just being facetious with my comment, lol. I just find it funny that Paul happens to use that term, as I wouldn’t use it ordinarily. However, maybe it’s regional thing? 

• Love 1

I love caramel but it is hard to get right and work with. 
Poor George, it was time for him to go though. I’m impressed that Chigs has made it so far, he’s the one who’s only been baking a year right? 
All five people remaining deserve to be there. I think final three will be Juergen, Giuseppe, and Crystelle. It will be hard to chose a winner. 

• Love 7

I don't know if anyone here watches it, but I really enjoy GBBO Extra Slice.  They give such a nice sendoff to the leaving baker, and they make me laugh!  Paul Hollywood was on the panel this week and had such nice things to say about George.  George really is a sweetie, and I'm sad to see him go, but I don't want anyone to go.

• Useful 1
  • Love 12
8 hours ago, BradyB66 said:

This week seemed underwhelming to me.  The same ingredient as the focus of all three rounds?  Kinda boring…

….The sugar dome seemed like an attempt to offer up something other than caramel-based drama. 

Poor George, I think he could have gotten a handshake for his showstopper and still gone home after that disastrous first day.

I didn't realize how much I love Giuseppe until they were criticizing his showstopper and I could feel my mama bear defensive instincts rising in me.  I think that's the worst he's done this season.

I didn’t care for this week’s theme either. That’s just too much caramel for me. So many of the bakes had issues, in large part because of difficulties with the caramel. When you watch from home and can’t taste any of these creations, the look of it becomes important. I don’t think that I want to eat half of what I saw tonight.

The sugar domes are so unnecessary.

Sorry to see George go. Seems like a good guy. I love Giuseppe, too. In fact, the remaining group is pleasant, talented and seem supportive of each other.

Edited by Ellaria Sand
  • Love 5

11 hours ago, dleighg said:

It was cute that Noel unpacked George's bags (to no avail, alas). I was confused for a moment when Noel said "I'm wearing your pants" (while he was clearly wearing his skinny jeans that in no way would fit a rather roly-poly George.

Ewww......

I loved that. Noel has become quite a mensch! And thanks for reminding me about pants! I thought it was funny enough when I thought he’d stolen George’s trousers let alone his underwear.

And wow, Giuseppe came very close to finishing last on the showstopper. I never would’ve expected that. I figured Juergen for Star Baker with the complexity and success of his showstopper, but I would’ve been ok if they hadn’t awarded one this week. I think the contestants all struggled with elements. Caramel was an excellent challenge.

I’m glad we’ve finally got down to a manageable number of contestants. I like it when we have time to really watch each of the contestants.

Edited by Kiddvideo
  • Love 7

Is there a difference between millionaire’s shortbread and what they were asked to do in the technical?  I don’t care for m.s., but I love me a Twix.  I’ve grown fond of Lizzie so am glad she stayed.  I think next week will be her last though.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, PaulaO said:

Is there a difference between millionaire’s shortbread and what they were asked to do in the technical?

I think they are the same except that Twix are narrower.  The recipes I found list the same ingredients.  These must have been Twix lookalikes because something was mentioned about the shiny gold wrappers.

George was due to go but glad he made it out on a good Showstopper.

Loved LIzzie jumping in to help Chrystelle.  The bakes are all so supportive of each other which is so refreshing.  And all for an etched bowl.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Cetacean said:

I think they are the same except that Twix are narrower.  The recipes I found list the same ingredients.  These must have been Twix lookalikes because something was mentioned about the shiny gold wrappers.

I think the main difference is in the construction. Millionaire's shortbread is made with all the layers in a pan, and sliced after everything’s set, with the chocolate only on top, while these were constructed individually. They were similar in idea to Twix, except of course, Twix are entirely enrobed in chocolate, rather than covered only on the top and sides. (Autocorrect wanted me to say they are entombed in chocolate…)

• Useful 1
  • LOL 6
  • Love 6

Sigh.  The sugar dome detail was ridiculous and unnecessary.  Do a sugar week if they want to add that detail.  If they wanted to stay more true to the caramel theme, then requiring sugar whisps or sugar nests or some sort of candy brittle element is more on theme.

That said, I loved how Lizzie literally turned the theme on its head.  She strikes me as a bit of a rebel, someone who recognizes how stupid it is, and made her showstopper as a bit of an eff you.  I wish she'd executed it better.  But if she had, they totally would have dinged her on it not being see through enough.

Bye George.  You seem to be a nice guy, and I'd love to sit down and have a pint with you anytime.  

• Love 18

I love caramel, so even though there were a lot of similarities among the three challenges, my mouth was watering.  I would have loved to try Chigs' signature bake, with the thick caramel and chocolate- sugar coma, here I come!

I don't think it should matter how Lizzie's Showstopper looked inside the vase- the overall presentation was really great. It seems that the taste may not have been up to her usual levels.  That was a close call.

Every week, I think to myself, maybe this will be the week that Lizzie is excited about the theme.  But, no!  She views each of the baking themes as a challenge.  Yet, she has done quite well, despite her worries.

On the other hand, George has this great positivity about each bake, which hasn't always worked out in his favor.  I was very happy that his Showstopper was so successful.  Not only did he use sugar, a more difficult ingredient for the sugar work, but the taste and look were both loved by the judges.

• Love 8
25 minutes ago, SemiCharmedLife said:

On the other hand, George has this great positivity about each bake, which hasn't always worked out in his favor.  I was very happy that his Showstopper was so successful.  Not only did he use sugar, a more difficult ingredient for the sugar work, but the taste and look were both loved by the judges.

His sugar dome was clearer than any of the isomalt domes, and he even added an amber ornament on top. It was impressive. 

• Love 6

Poor George, but I kind of knew he was going to be gone this week. Lizzie did end up down there too. But it seemed like she actually won the signature as had the most positive outcome which was that it tasted good but messy. Then she went in did the opposite in the showstopper. George struggled the whole time. Count me in the group that was glad that he managed to nail the sugar dome, even if it wasn't enough to save him. Also on that note, did I just miss it or did Noel skip him during his "skit" about who everyone "was". 

As for star banker, Gurgien (sp) was the correct choice. He came in second in the technical and they loved his show stopper. 

23 hours ago, dleighg said:

Ewww......

Wow that went straight over my head. I took as lol clearly those aren't his jeans. But I forgot pants means something else in the UK. Gross...

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, blueray said:

George struggled the whole time. Count me in the group that was glad that he managed to nail the sugar dome, even if it wasn't enough to save him. Also on that note, did I just miss it or did Noel skip him during his "skit" about who everyone "was". 

He also skipped Crystele. I half wondered if he'd made some kind of inappropriate joke for PoC that got edited out.

• Love 2

I loved Crystelle's cardigan and I know she ended up taking it off, but am surprised she wore something with such bulky sleeves in the first place. Also on a shallow note, Chigs looked dreamy--well, dreamier--with glasses.

Isomalt sounds like something to spread on sidewalks during winter.

I was impressed by how Crystelle kept it together enough to make a third sugar dome using a technique she'd never tried before. Good on Lizzie for helping her, and for wisely pointing out that she should finish assembling her showstopper before celebrating.

I was grossed out when Paul lifted up Giuseppe's sugar dome and the gluey top layer tried to cling to it like the Blob.

Poor George. I thought he had shot himself in the foot again by using a riskier method with his sugar dome, but he pulled it off to the point where I thought he might make it through to another week.

• Love 12

Good for some people having face shields while adding the milk to caramel.  I wear goggles when I do it.

I spent the first five minutes of the technical challenge debating whether they were making Twix or some original cookie that I've never heard of, so I was happy when Matt referenced the gold wrapper and I could stop wondering.  I enjoyed that concept.  I remember they made Swiss rolls, and fig newtons before.  It's interesting to see 'origin' versions of these really common sweets.  I'm waiting for the full on Twinkie, Ding Dong, or Hostess Cupcake technical.  Seven swirls on the cupcake, everyone.

Juergen making a pecan pie tart amused me for some reason.  I never thought of that as a caramel dessert, but I can see it.

The domes are always a fussy addition, but I thought it was particularly strange to frame a challenge with a dome on top of a soft, sticky cake.  They all had ugly rings left when the done was removed, or worst case you have Giuseppe's stretchy mess.  I was impressed Lizzy flipped the challenge in the way that she did.  Initially she struck me as a bit flighty, but she always has a good underlying concept, and she's a good baker.  She was a real teammate to Chrystelle with her dome.

I don't recall seeing the 'press down on plastic wrap to make a bubble' dome method.  Not a bad idea.

• Love 7
11 hours ago, caitmcg said:

I think the main difference is in the construction. Millionaire's shortbread is made with all the layers in a pan, and sliced after everything’s set, with the chocolate only on top, while these were constructed individually. They were similar in idea to Twix, except of course, Twix are entirely enrobed in chocolate, rather than covered only on the top and sides. (Autocorrect wanted me to say they are entombed in chocolate…)

Entombed in chocolate - what a way to go!

• LOL 7
  • Love 5
59 minutes ago, krankydoodle said:

I was grossed out when Paul lifted up Giuseppe's sugar dome and the gluey top layer tried to cling to it like the Blob.

I didn't understand why he broke Jurgen's but lifted Giuseppe's?

21 minutes ago, MisterGlass said:

I don't recall seeing the 'press down on plastic wrap to make a bubble' dome method.  Not a bad idea.

That was fascinating! I couldn't figure out how it worked?

• Love 5

I hate caramel so this whole episode made my teeth ache.  I agree, that whole domed thing was just silly.  How would you manage that at a party - just take it off and set it aside?  Only George's was edible and not sure how tasty it would be.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, dgpolo said:

I didn't understand why he broke Jurgen's but lifted Giuseppe's?

That had us scratching our heads also.  He should have lifted all or broken all. Except Lizzie's.

Sorry to see George go, but he went out on a high note.  Only one to even try a sugar dome.  In one of the Christmas specials they had to make sugar domes also.

• Love 2

It's felt for a long time like this season is Juergen's to lose, but we've seen front-runners crash and burn in the final before, so who knows. I'm sort of torn because he's definitely the most consistent baker, but he just doesn't have the personality of Guiseppe, Crystelle or Chigs. (And it took me this long to realize his name is "Chigs" and not "Chig" or "Chigg." What kind of name is "Chigs" anyway?)

It really was a toss-up this week between LIzzie and George. George definitely had the better showstopper so I sort of thought he had the edge, but he did come last in the technical and I can't remember what his signature bake was like. Nobody really knocked it out of the part on that. At any rate, you have to figure Lizzie is a lock to go next week. Neither she nor George is really in the same category as the rest of them.

Vegan week sounds like another bad idea. Just another theme the bakers are not familiar with and have little or no experience with, so of course, ripe for disasters, which seems to be what the show aims for these days. 

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, meep.meep said:

He should have lifted all or broken all. Except Lizzie's.

actually I think Lizzie's would have fared better if he'd broken the side off. It looked like a soggy mess partly because he had to dig down with a spoon rather than cut it. At least, I think that's possible.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

I loved the look on Lizzie's face when Chrystelle came over to give her that big hug after she'd helped her with the dome. "Go put it on your cake!" That was a very sweet moment and then everyone biting their nails while Chrystelle tried to unstick the final one from the mold. 

• Love 15

I can totally see it being Crystelle, Giuseppe and Jürgen in the finals.  That should make a lovely show.

Loved when after Giuseppe won the technical and they all started clapping, Paul said "I wouldn't applaud".  

• Love 6
23 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

What kind of name is "Chigs" anyway?)

His real name is Chirag.  Unlike Jurgen (who couldn't understand the British practice of adding "s" to a brief form of a name to create a nickname), Chirag was shortened to Chigs.

• Useful 8
  • Love 5
12 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

His real name is Chirag.  Unlike Jurgen (who couldn't understand the British practice of adding "s" to a brief form of a name to create a nickname), Chirag was shortened to Chigs.

I was wondering about Chigs' name when Jürgen made that comment, but I didn't know if it was a nickname or not. 

I really liked Chigs' glasses...even when they fogged up!

• Love 6

Next week is “Free From Week”, right?  Not Vegan Week?  That opens it up to a bit more variety. The last time they did that week the signature was sugar-free, the technical was gluten-free, and the showstopper was dairy free.  

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, dgpolo said:
8 hours ago, MisterGlass said:

That was fascinating! I couldn't figure out how it worked?

They put plastic wrap over a large bowl, trapping a large air bubble.  Then, with a metal ring smaller than the rim of the bowl, they pushed down evenly on the plastic wrap.  The bubble under plastic wrap pushes up into the ring to maintain its volume.  That makes a dome in the center of the ring.  I think the advantage compared to the balloon method is that the sugar can't wrap around too far, and that there is no risk of getting the dome wet when you pop the balloon.

ETA: found a quick video of someone using this method.

Edited by MisterGlass
  • Useful 7
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, BradyB66 said:

Next week is “Free From Week”, right?  Not Vegan Week?  That opens it up to a bit more variety. The last time they did that week the signature was sugar-free, the technical was gluten-free, and the showstopper was dairy free.  

They’ve done “free from” weeks before. I think they usually have a gluten free bake, dairy free, and sugar free. They may do a vegan bake too. 

Ugh, just realized I repeated you. #readingisfundamental. 🤣🤣

Edited by irisheyes
  • LOL 3