Type keyword(s) to search

Actors You Just Can't Stand

• Start Topic

I don't think RDJ has that much range, in that he's not a chameleon-type actor, but what he does he does very well. I didn't need so much Iron Man in Civil War, but RDJ is really, really good in it. Acting wise he's by far one of the strongst players in the MCU.

• Love 3
22 hours ago, atomationage said:

I liked RDJ in Chaplin.  It was a perfect role for him.  I don't think I've ever liked his performance in anything else. 

My favourite RDJ role by far. I also really liked his guest stint on "Ally McBeal". What disturbs me is that he was abusing drugs during both these roles. Since then, I haven't minded him in other things, but I haven't seen his range go as far and act as well as he did in Chaplin.

• Love 2

I am a huge RDJ fan, but I think he is an average actor. I don't mean that in a bad way. I think most actors can portray one or two ranges very well; while, in most cases, they fall from bland to ok on the range scale.  There are few actors who I feel hit it out of the ballpark more than 90% of the time.

• Love 2

I think RDJ is a great actor, he just doesn't stretch himself anymore. But he's certainly capable of it, just look at the difference between say, Chaplin and Tropic Thunder. Not every actor can do something like that. Now he just seems to be coasting on the Avengers money though.

It's made him less appealing to me, because I know there IS real talent in there somewhere.

• Love 8
12 minutes ago, ruby24 said:

Now he just seems to be coasting on the Avengers money though.

I won't disagree. I think he's now more focused on producing and making movies with his wife and being a father rather than acting. That's fair, and maybe he'll come back to acting again if he finds the right part for him.

• Love 3
On 2014-08-04 at 0:15 PM, RubyWoo72 said:

Jonah Hill

Megan Good

Jada Pinkett and her son

Shia LeBouf

Megan Fox

Eddie Murphy

Zoe Saldana

Scarlett Johansson

No logic to any of these, really. They just bug me. Maybe in the way their mouths shape their words, or the arch of their eyebrows, or the inability to actually emote on screen. Maybe all of the above.

Did you see Jonah Hill in War Dogs?

That insane laugh of his ... I can't really find the words to describe how repulsive I found that. I am determined never to watch anything else he is in.

But Scarlett Johansson?  love her. I think she is one of the most attractive ladies in this world.

• Love 1

Oh Gosh! I wish this thread was a little more flexible so as to include other kinds of celebrities - such as singers or bands or other such things.

Maybe I can use this post to ask the thread starter if it would be all right to include those kinds of celebs. In the meantime, perhpas I can show you an example of what I mean:

Mariah Carey shows off her eye-popping curves in a skintight leather mini-dress for dinner date at Mr. Chow

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-3721390/Mariah-Carey-catches-eye-edgy-leather-dress-raunchy-fishnets-steps-dinner.html

I cannot stand this kind of thing. Mariah Carey is a singer. Why do some people consider this to be important news when some web news site posts pictures of her in some skimpy outfits.

I would not want to say that I can't stand Mariah Carey. But I can't stand when people waste my time with this kind of bullshit. I don't care what she looks like every few minutes. Oh please, just go away! Won't you? Go away! Please go away?

So ...  WTH?  Oh, please! just go away!  This story is not news and it's not even interesting. It just gives me a headache. A big headache.  Oh please? Won't you just go away. Please?

So, tell me pls? Am I being too sensitive? Am I just being too Am I being

Pls note that under most circumstances, people just would not find any problem with this ... ummm .... story? Or whatever it is.

2 hours ago, AliShibaz said:

Oh Gosh! I wish this thread was a little more flexible so as to include other kinds of celebrities - such as singers or bands or other such things.

It might fit in Actors, Hosts and TV Personalities You Just Can't Stand. She was a judge on American Idol that one season, so that would count to me as a TV personality.

I also just checked the Music forum and never noticed until now there isn't a "Singer/Band You Can't Stand" topic.

• Love 1

This is in the Movies section, but there's a Music section where you can start such a thread.  (And one for TV stars exists in the TV section.)

• Love 1

Rachel McAdams and Ryan Gosling. (The Notebook was on yesterday.) She, while charming enough, lacks depth or any real humor (so many of her scenes in Wedding Crashers were deeply unfunny, she just couldn't make that material work). I've watched several of her more serious movies and while she didn't embarrass herself she has no gravitas and her performances lacked complexity. She's hugely overrated, in my opinion, and this weird insistence that she will "happen" just grates. Like it's been over a decade. She ain't happening any time soon.

Gosling is the more talented of the two but I don't find him as attractive as I need to to overlook how painfully hipster he is. Walking down the streets of NY playing a three-string guitar and singing at people for no reason? Working at a sandwich shop in-between jobs so stay down to earth, or whatever? After Hurricane Katrina he packed up his car and went to Mississippi to help rebuild "a monastery". He gave himself a tattoo (it's terrible). He lived in a tent in the woods for two months. Yeesh. Though I do think it's hilarious he tried to get a role in Alpha Dogs and lost to Justin freakin' Timberlake. 

Adam Sandler. Everything to do with Adam Sandler. From his terrible acting and sense of humor to his extremely annoying voice.

• Love 6
5 hours ago, slf said:

Though I do think it's hilarious he tried to get a role in Alpha Dogs and lost to Justin freakin' Timberlake.

Funny celebrity trivia tangent: Gosling and Timberlake were on the Mickey Mouse Club at the same time and were friends back then. There was even a short period of time where Ryan lived at Timberlake's house because the former's mother had to go back to Canada briefly. They are apparently no longer really in touch, but I don't think anyone from that particular year of the club really is anymore even though most of them live in LA.

• Love 2

I will never, ever see a movie with Mark Wahlberg in it. After I learned about his racist and violent behavior I will actively avoid giving anything associated with him any money or viewership. I don't believe he's changed and I think he's an awful person.

• Love 15
8 minutes ago, BabyVegas said:

I will never, ever see a movie with Mark Wahlberg in it. After I learned about his racist and violent behavior I will actively avoid giving anything associated with him any money or viewership. I don't believe he's changed and I think he's an awful person.

And he is a pretty bad actor to boot.

• Love 10
On 12/20/2016 at 4:58 PM, BabyVegas said:

But he's hot, so I'm conflicted.

On 12/20/2016 at 7:13 PM, starri said:

Jennifer Lawrence.  Yeah, I said it.

You know how there are some people you just want to punch in the face? She's one of them. For a while, it seemed like she was contractually obligated to appear in every movie Hollywood made.

• Love 4
Just now, SmithW6079 said:

You know how there are some people you just want to punch in the face? She's one of them. For a while, it seemed like she was contractually obligated to appear in every movie Hollywood made.

I have honestly enjoyed her in a few roles, but for the most part, her apparently-Oscar-worthy talents seem to in making faces that are easy to GIF.

• Love 10
On 9/7/2016 at 11:13 AM, ruby24 said:

I think RDJ is a great actor, he just doesn't stretch himself anymore. But he's certainly capable of it, just look at the difference between say, Chaplin and Tropic Thunder. Not every actor can do something like that. Now he just seems to be coasting on the Avengers money though.

Thank goodness someone else sees this. IMO, RDJ is one of the finest actors of his generation. I was terrified that his drug addiction would take his life and his talent. I am thrilled that he has rebounded, but he simply does not take on the challenging roles that he did in his early career. He is focused on making bank off Marvel and Sherlock Holmes which I don't hold against him, but  I continue to hold out hope that he will decide that he has enough money and go back to being the great actor that he was destined to be.

• Love 14
On 12/20/2016 at 7:13 PM, starri said:

Jennifer Lawrence.  Yeah, I said it.

Trust me, that is NOT unpopular. If anything, she's a good example of someone who is VERY polarizing, with little room in between for those who are "eh" about her, at least personality wise. She gave some good print interviews in the beginning of her career--talking about how the attention after she won her Oscar was making her feel a bit caged in, for example, and about her anxiety that she had as a child--but I don't need ANY Oscar winner, man or woman, talking about scratching their butt on rocks. 

• Love 2

Will Ferrell is best as Harry Caray, Bush, and Alex Trebek on SNL, and surprisingly good in a more straight man role in the movie Stranger Than Fiction. But when he plays things TOO broadly, he loses me. 

• Love 2

I can't stand Will Ferrell in any of his movies either, but I didn't mind him on SNL. My feelings have been solidified by seeing him on Jimmy Fallon last holiday season and how obnoxious he was and those feelings have crept into how I feel about Jimmy after he let Ferrell stay on set while Alicia Vikander was supposed to be interviewed and those two drunken frat boys just took over.

I'm not surprised about the Jennifer Lawrence back lash. What was cute at 19-20 isn't when you're closer to 30. I think it's the being exposed to the media/industry with so much praise so early on. I think that a smaller but more harmful version of it happened to Colin Farrell when he was breaking out in the media at the same age that Jennifer really started getting insanely popular as well. Everyone in the media kept saying how freeing/refreshing his antics were in interviews. You never knew what he'd say! And I don't believe anyone ever seriously admonition him for this because it got him so much free publicity but now I think it's pretty much understood he had a serious drinking problem at the time. The stakes are quite a bit different but I guess it's easy to lose sight of yourself when in the machine. 

Edited by raezen
  • Love 2

The Mickey Mouse Club was considered a pop star incubator when christina aguilera, britney spears  and justin timberlake where at their peak and  I think that it was when Ryan Gosling broke into the A-List that the acting aspect of that show  was taken more seriously.

Edited by Pink ranger
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, Pink ranger said:

I think that it was when Ryan Gosling broke into the A-List that the acting aspect of that show  was taken more seriously.

It also took Gosling awhile to become A list acting wise; he spent years doing TV as a teen/child actor then he did supporting roles in movies and started to lead in indie films. Him and Keri Russell are the exceptions to the acting thing. I don't think Timberlake is a bad actor necessarily, but he is not in the same acting level as Russell or Gosling. He desperately wants to be in that critically acclaimed A list league though.

• Love 3

Maybe it's because I'm Canadian and know Gosling first from Breaker High and Young Hercules but I'm very proud of his slow build because just like Matthew McConaughey I'm not sure I imagined him at the place he is now 15-20 years ago.

Edited by raezen
  • Love 6
34 minutes ago, raezen said:

Maybe it's because I'm Canadian and know Gosling first from Breaker High and Young Hercules but I'm very proud of his slow build because just like Matthew McConaughey I'm not sure I imagined him at the place he is now 15-20 years ago.

Ha, same. Well, I'm not Canadian, but I have such a fondness for him from Young Hercules.

I don't know why, but I've always had a hard time with Tobey Maguire. Like, for no real reason - he's just always struck me as so bland and same-y in everything I've seen him in. I have a vague memory that he was good in Brothers, but that might be coloured by the fact that he and Jake Gyllenhaal were playing said brothers which was just great casting. I don't know, something about him bugs me.

54 minutes ago, raezen said:

9 minutes ago, Schweedie said:

Ha, same. Well, I'm not Canadian, but I have such a fondness for him from Young Hercules.

I don't know why, but I've always had a hard time with Tobey Maguire. Like, for no real reason - he's just always struck me as so bland and same-y in everything I've seen him in. I have a vague memory that he was good in Brothers, but that might be coloured by the fact that he and Jake Gyllenhaal were playing said brothers which was just great casting. I don't know, something about him bugs me.

I watched Breaker High after school and was so ... proud? ... whenever I heard about Ryan Gosling doing some critically acclaimed indie or whatever.  Also, although he's on a string of big budget junkets with Nice GuysLa La Land, and next Blade Runner, he's so rarely public otherwise I don't really think of him as overexposed.  Didn't he and Eva Mendes keep their first pregnancy under wraps until she was like giving birth?  And I feel like I haven't seen her in years ... maybe we should be worried?

I don't like Tobey Maguire -- I don't think he can act, he just looks dazed all the time (and not even in a charming way like Keanu).  Also, the whole "pussy posse" thing with Leonardo et al was pretty trash.  I look askance at Leo too but at least he has some talent and a spark of intelligence to mitigate his trashy ways.

• Love 4
54 minutes ago, dusang said:

I watched Breaker High after school and was so ... proud? ... whenever I heard about Ryan Gosling doing some critically acclaimed indie or whatever.  Also, although he's on a string of big budget junkets with Nice GuysLa La Land, and next Blade Runner, he's so rarely public otherwise I don't really think of him as overexposed.  Didn't he and Eva Mendes keep their first pregnancy under wraps until she was like giving birth?  And I feel like I haven't seen her in years ... maybe we should be worried?

I don't like Tobey Maguire -- I don't think he can act, he just looks dazed all the time (and not even in a charming way like Keanu).  Also, the whole "pussy posse" thing with Leonardo et al was pretty trash.  I look askance at Leo too but at least he has some talent and a spark of intelligence to mitigate his trashy ways.

I second your thoughts on both Gosling and Maguire.

• Love 1

The first Tobey Maguire film I saw was Pleasantville and have allways thought of him fondly because of that. He was a perfect teenage geek in those days and I still think that he could have a good character actor career if he stops picking roles that he isn't suited to like that Bobby Fischer biopic.

• Love 8

I cannot stand Jennifer put a bra on Anniston.  I guess she's an A cup so her girls are not on her knees but those sacks of skin still need to be in a holder of some type, I was throwing out my Entertainment Weeklies and she was on the cover for that Christmas movie she was in, white sleeveless sweater no bra.  I'm happy for her she close to 50 and she looks okay but put a bra on lady.  Every red carpet event the same stupid dress and no bra I know she's not Sophia Lauren but after a certain age do not leave the house without a bra on.  

• Love 2
On 2014-08-03 at 9:49 PM, bosawks said:

I know this is heresy but Andy Griffith's "awe shucks" thing just makes me want to punch him in the nose.

I do like A Face in the Crowd but everything else makes my teeth hurt.

I feel like I should turn in my citizenship....

Nonsense!

You are perfectly entitled to like or dislike any actor at all. After all, we are living in the land of Free Speech.

Edited by LauraAnders
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Ms.Moon said:

I cannot stand Jennifer put a bra on Anniston.  I guess she's an A cup so her girls are not on her knees but those sacks of skin still need to be in a holder of some type, I was throwing out my Entertainment Weeklies and she was on the cover for that Christmas movie she was in, white sleeveless sweater no bra.  I'm happy for her she close to 50 and she looks okay but put a bra on lady.  Every red carpet event the same stupid dress and no bra I know she's not Sophia Lauren but after a certain age do not leave the house without a bra on.  

Yeah same goes for Claire Danes, Gwyneth Paltrow and other "unendowed" actresses.  Just because you don't have much on top doesn't mean you don't need to wear a bra.

• Love 2
23 hours ago, BigBeagle said:

Vin Diesel ... Seems like a nice guy in real life, but on screen, unwatchable

No, apparently he's a complete ass IRL - Dwayne Johnson publicly called him out for being a disruptive, entitled diva on the set of F&F8.

• Love 5